British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

dunroving Jan 22nd 2011 5:25 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9120979)
What area in UK do you think has the mildest weather? Scotland might be too harsh for me, so just the most southerly the better? Southeast or southwest?

In general, I think the west is milder but wetter, the east is colder but drier.

I was in south Wales and it was very rainy (was only there July to February 2006/2007, so may not have been typical), I think also because it is on the west side.

Re: Scotland and weather, I have to agree with you, but there's another issue you should consider: latitude and daylight. Up here in the winter the days are so short, it can get quite depressing. You might think that the trade-off is "nice" long summer days, but in fact the daylight is so long you are waking up at 3 a.m. because the sunlight is creeping into the bedroom! Not good, IMO.

sallysimmons Jan 22nd 2011 5:54 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

What area in UK do you think has the mildest weather? Scotland might be too harsh for me, so just the most southerly the better? Southeast or southwest?

I agree that the West is milder and wetter - at least up north. It's usually warmer in the Lake District than where I'm from (near York).

One interesting spot I've been looking at is Grange-over-Sands in Cumbria. It has a very mild micro-climate which has something to do with its location on Morecambe Bay. Apparently its sunnier and milder than anywhere else in Cumbria. Next time we go over, I want to take a trip there and check it out.

aviva Jan 22nd 2011 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9121055)
I agree that the West is milder and wetter - at least up north. It's usually warmer in the Lake District than where I'm from (near York).

One interesting spot I've been looking at is Grange-over-Sands in Cumbria. It has a very mild micro-climate which has something to do with its location on Morecambe Bay. Apparently its sunnier and milder than anywhere else in Cumbria. Next time we go over, I want to take a trip there and check it out.

What do people wear to go out in the rain there? Gore-tex? What do they wear on their feet?

dunroving Jan 22nd 2011 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9121073)
What do people wear to go out in the rain there? Gore-tex? What do they wear on their feet?

Yes, Gore-tex jackets and fleece layers are the norm up here.

Wellies for general pottering/down to the newspaper shop/walking the dog - easy to slip on and off. Otherwise a stout pair of boots.

That's up here in semi-rural north Glasgow. I notice that in urban areas, people dress as if it's not raining - I think they just treat clothes and shoes as if they are disposable - after a few weeks of wearing in the rain they are ruined so they chuck them out and have an excuse to go clothes shopping!

Englishman43 Jan 22nd 2011 7:33 pm

I lived in the New Forest area and it was very mild indeed.

aviva Jan 22nd 2011 8:49 pm

This happened a couple of weeks ago and it came back to me when everyone was wondering why that crazy guy in AZ did his deed. At some point he crossed a line.
This poor thing had a level of self-reflection that was amazing:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_805689.html

Beedubya Jan 23rd 2011 1:14 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9121081)
Yes, Gore-tex jackets and fleece layers are the norm up here.

Wellies for general pottering/down to the newspaper shop/walking the dog - easy to slip on and off. Otherwise a stout pair of boots.

That's up here in semi-rural north Glasgow. I notice that in urban areas, people dress as if it's not raining - I think they just treat clothes and shoes as if they are disposable - after a few weeks of wearing in the rain they are ruined so they chuck them out and have an excuse to go clothes shopping!

Nobody in my family would be seen dead in wellies not unless they are under 10 years of age LOL!!

Yes you are right DR, they dress no differently in wet weather.

I was quite amazed at the young girls in their short short sleeveless dresses, tottering about on stilettoes with no stockings on and the young lads in short sleeved t-shirts or shirts, in the winter..........in the dark..........in the COLD!!! :eek:

Mind you if I cast my mind back 40 years did I go out in the cold and dark in very unsuitable clothes?? YES LOL!!

When I worked in the gift shop in the Lakes we used to sell rainhoods, do you ladies remember them? The old dears used to oooh and ahhh and stock up on them as apparently they are hard to find these days......I wouldn't be caught dead in one myself well not for about another 30 years. :lol:

Mummy in the foothills Jan 23rd 2011 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9121664)

When I worked in the gift shop in the Lakes we used to sell rainhoods, do you ladies remember them? The old dears used to oooh and ahhh and stock up on them as apparently they are hard to find these days......I wouldn't be caught dead in one myself well not for about another 30 years. :lol:

OMG I'd forgotten about those plastic rain hoods. My Nana used to make me wear one, I would rush through wherever we were and pray no one from school saw me, I'd have died from embarrassment :lol:

ldyinlv Jan 23rd 2011 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9121686)
OMG I'd forgotten about those plastic rain hoods. My Nana used to make me wear one, I would rush through wherever we were and pray no one from school saw me, I'd have died from embarrassment :lol:

I remember them too, my Mom always had them ready to whip out,,lol

Beedubya Jan 23rd 2011 1:36 am

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9121688)
I remember them too, my Mom always had them ready to whip out,,lol

My nan used to use them, and I seem to remember when I was a kid seeing ladies of our age wearing them coming out of the hairdressers after their their "hair-do."

NO WAY am I wearing one for about 30 years LOL!!

sallysimmons Jan 23rd 2011 1:41 am

Yes - my nan used to have those! I was clueless about fashion though (nothing changes) so I didn't mind.

One thing I noticed when we were in England is that DH and I were both much more willing to go out for a walk in the rain. We don't do that here, but when we got home it's like our UK selves kicked in without even thinking about it, and we just put on our raincoats and forged ahead with whatever plans we had.

I think that's a really wonderful thing about UK life and something residents take for granted. Just like they take the light for granted. Here it's all sun or all cloud and it lasts all day. There, the sky changes constantly, and it can be cloud where you are, but there can be an amazing patch of bright light on a hill across the dale. Soooo beautiful.

ETA: Just watching Phil Spencer finding houses for Brits in Australia. The houses are all so new! Ick. I really don't like anything he has shown them. I'm waiting for him to pull a beautiful Georgian terrace out of the bag but I guess it's not happening. LOL.

Beedubya Jan 23rd 2011 1:50 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9121697)
Yes - my nan used to have those! I was clueless about fashion though (nothing changes) so I didn't mind.

One thing I noticed when we were in England is that DH and I were both much more willing to go out for a walk in the rain. We don't do that here, but when we got home it's like our UK selves kicked in without even thinking about it, and we just put on our raincoats and forged ahead with whatever plans we had.

I think that's a really wonderful thing about UK life and something residents take for granted. Just like they take the light for granted. Here it's all sun or all cloud and it lasts all day. There, the sky changes constantly, and it can be cloud where you are, but there can be an amazing patch of bright light on a hill across the dale. Soooo beautiful.

ETA: Just watching Phil Spencer finding houses for Brits in Australia. The houses are all so new! Ick. I really don't like anything he has shown them. I'm waiting for him to pull a beautiful Georgian terrace out of the bag but I guess it's not happening. LOL.

You will be waiting a long time then!!! This country is too new.......

beachgal21 Jan 23rd 2011 3:04 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9121697)

I've just been watching that too :)

islandwoman120 Jan 23rd 2011 10:42 am

As you are name dropping about Phil and houses in Australia - Kevin Mc Cloud (Grand Designs) lives close by to Frome, and is opening the Green Fair this summer. So I will get to meet a celebrity :).

Beedubya Jan 23rd 2011 10:52 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9122337)
As you are name dropping about Phil and houses in Australia - Kevin Mc Cloud (Grand Designs) lives close by to Frome, and is opening the Green Fair this summer. So I will get to meet a celebrity :).

Not forgetting of course, Frome's most favourite son, Jensen Button.................:p