British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Celticspirit Jan 8th 2014 4:55 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 11062097)
Just wanted to wish you all a Happy New Year. Not been on for a while had some health issues but hopefully I am finally cleared. Had a big operation Oct 1st and got the all clear a few weeks ago so my New Year resolution is to keep up with old friends and even though going home is not possible at the moment nothing is impossible......Thankyou for asking about me I did pop in and read the forum but was just too tired to answer.

The weather is awful here so cold you cannot stay outside. I would give anything for the rain......

Nice to see so many made it home, I was on that plane with you all.:D

Wishing you a Happy New Year too! A few observations....
Yes, I'm back in my hometown of Belfast. Doggies happy with all the attention. Had a great holiday season. I love it here but down to the serious side of renting with two tiny dogs......so far I've seen nine properties around £650 - £800 PCM, but not one is pet friendly.....even with these housebroken tinies. They have been perfectly behaved here at my brother's listed four story Victorian property. The other issue is that properties are already furnished......never to one's personal taste. Traffic and parkng are a nightmare and drivers have no patience.
Rain,rain rain. Very complicated garbage collections. Lots of complaints re NHS in NI. Only one A & E 24/7 in this big city. Just watching and listening.......still happy to be here.

sallysimmons Jan 8th 2014 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by MrMuffin (Post 11059874)
SallySimmons... you are such a wonderful help and example to so many on BE. I hope your 2014 is much better for you personally and I hope you can shake your struggles soon and be happy. Take care xox

Thanks so much - I generally am happy and didn't mean to sound like such a downer. I just have some things to work through. Smiling again today :)

islandwoman120 Jan 8th 2014 10:14 pm

Problems on the railroad today. I did not know it was still that bad in that area - we are fine down here in Dawlish.
Flooding between Oxford and Didcot Parkway - Wednesday 08th January 2014//Thursday 09th January 2014.
Update at 20:30
First Great Western services between Worcester, Oxford and Didcot Parkway are being affected by flooding. We are able to operate services between Oxford and Didcot Parkway in the form of a limited shuttle service. CrossCountry Services are not operating between Oxford and Reading in both directions.There is limited capacity on the shuttle services and customers travelling between London Paddington and Oxford and North Cotswolds (in either direction) are advised to travel on Chiltern Trains Services between London Marylebone and Banbury and change for Oxford. Unfortunately, we are unable to operate road replacement due to flooding on the main arterial routes in and out of Oxford.
Current estimates are that these conditions will remain unchanged until at least Friday 10tth January 2014. Therefore, First Great Western will be operating a amended service on Thursday 09th January 2014 to the same plans as today.

old.sparkles Jan 9th 2014 8:19 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 11069830)
Problems on the railroad today. I did not know it was still that bad in that area - we are fine down here in Dawlish.
Flooding between Oxford and Didcot Parkway - Wednesday 08th January 2014//Thursday 09th January 2014.
Update at 20:30
First Great Western services between Worcester, Oxford and Didcot Parkway are being affected by flooding. We are able to operate services between Oxford and Didcot Parkway in the form of a limited shuttle service. CrossCountry Services are not operating between Oxford and Reading in both directions.There is limited capacity on the shuttle services and customers travelling between London Paddington and Oxford and North Cotswolds (in either direction) are advised to travel on Chiltern Trains Services between London Marylebone and Banbury and change for Oxford. Unfortunately, we are unable to operate road replacement due to flooding on the main arterial routes in and out of Oxford.
Current estimates are that these conditions will remain unchanged until at least Friday 10tth January 2014. Therefore, First Great Western will be operating a amended service on Thursday 09th January 2014 to the same plans as today.

Doesn't sound good - I've seen pics of the Thames through Windsor (footpaths under water) and The Oracle in Reading also under water. Stay safe everyone :fingerscrossed:

islandwoman120 Jan 10th 2014 1:01 pm

Just found this on You tube - last year's floods - not as bad so far this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHSBR9xSlas

old.sparkles Jan 11th 2014 1:31 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 11072227)
Just found this on You tube - last year's floods - not as bad so far this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHSBR9xSlas

Just seen a post on FB about the wakeboarder in Surrey being towed around the roads - was on Sky news apparently :lol:

islandwoman120 Jan 11th 2014 8:05 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11073299)
Just seen a post on FB about the wakeboarder in Surrey being towed around the roads - was on Sky news apparently :lol:

It saw that clip. The folks on the Somerset Levels now have a boat loaned to the community and manned by volunteers so that they can get in and out. Their roads are like rivers, and have been that way for getting on 3 weeks - the only way out, along the footprint of the roads, is by boat. People are helping each other. Here in Dawlish we are mourning the loss of one of our breeding black swans Mrs Red, who has not been seen since the rains started in earnest. It is thought she may have been washed out to sea. The Wildfowl keepers are distraught - one of the other male swans got injured, so they are busy with that too, plus regular clean up stuff. Though the shops did not get flooded, the water levels were high and the Brook ran fast and muddy. :(

old.sparkles Jan 11th 2014 10:20 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 11073479)
It saw that clip. The folks on the Somerset Levels now have a boat loaned to the community and manned by volunteers so that they can get in and out. Their roads are like rivers, and have been that way for getting on 3 weeks - the only way out, along the footprint of the roads, is by boat. People are helping each other. Here in Dawlish we are mourning the loss of one of our breeding black swans Mrs Red, who has not been seen since the rains started in earnest. It is thought she may have been washed out to sea. The Wildfowl keepers are distraught - one of the other male swans got injured, so they are busy with that too, plus regular clean up stuff. Though the shops did not get flooded, the water levels were high and the Brook ran fast and muddy. :(

Hope you're managing to stay dry. Sad news on the swans :(

old.sparkles Jan 11th 2014 10:26 am

This is the flooding at Windsor 2 days ago - and the river was still rising yesterday

islandwoman120 Jan 11th 2014 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11073550)
This is the flooding at Windsor 2 days ago - and the river was still rising yesterday

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6y4JYb2xxXs

Well... they could play water polo at Datchet Golf Course, can they not? ;) I took more photos of the destruction on the sea wall at Dawlish - will upload soon.

islandwoman120 Jan 12th 2014 5:35 am

Latest photos: Dawlish beach re-arranged by wave action
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7639677962013/
and a trip to Exeter to see The House that Moved
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7639677962023/

jasper123 Jan 12th 2014 10:46 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 11062097)
Just wanted to wish you all a Happy New Year. Not been on for a while had some health issues but hopefully I am finally cleared. Had a big operation Oct 1st and got the all clear a few weeks ago so my New Year resolution is to keep up with old friends and even though going home is not possible at the moment nothing is impossible......Thankyou for asking about me I did pop in and read the forum but was just too tired to answer.

The weather is awful here so cold you cannot stay outside. I would give anything for the rain......

Nice to see so many made it home, I was on that plane with you all.:D

Hi Avril,
I am so pleased that you were able to post on here, glad to know your operation went well, we all understand how tired you must feel, one day at a time, thats all any of us can do really, and just always try to stay positive, even though it must be hard sometimes,
a lot of us have missed your posts lately,
Take real good care Avril,
I often think of you and how your doing,
Rodney.

jasper123 Jan 12th 2014 11:06 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11064723)

Rodney did you get that fence put back up?

Cheers

Yes cheers wall and fence is all re-built brand new, and it looks lovely, the insurance paid £3,330 to the builders to have it done, then in another storm a few weeks ago some tiles blue off our roof and insurance has paid another
£750 to have all the tiles re-inforced, and missing ones replaced, and compleat overhaul, it surprises me of the speed of our insurance company (age concern) pays out for a claim, a few days later and a check is sent to you in the mail.

cheers Jan 13th 2014 6:10 pm

We need a roll call from Celtic in Belfast and Mommy in Conwy and the rest of you.

Sunny here. Blue skies and nice.

Cheers

cheers Jan 13th 2014 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11074694)
Yes cheers wall and fence is all re-built brand new, and it looks lovely, the insurance paid £3,330 to the builders to have it done, then in another storm a few weeks ago some tiles blue off our roof and insurance has paid another
£750 to have all the tiles re-inforced, and missing ones replaced, and compleat overhaul, it surprises me of the speed of our insurance company (age concern) pays out for a claim, a few days later and a check is sent to you in the mail.

or is it blew? ( I should talk) either way the word looks strange.