British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Dec 22nd 2010 7:51 pm

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9055881)
It must! All computers have the same feature.

Try again and make sure you have the image selected with your mouse when you right click. Just being near it won't work.

Here are my options that show on a right click:
Open link in new tab
Copy link in new window
Open link incognito window
Same links as
Copy link address
Save image as..
Copy image URL
Copy image
Copy image in new tab
Inspect element

Cheers (the thick 'ead)

between two worlds Dec 22nd 2010 7:51 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9049752)
The Patrick Stewart version of "A Christmas Carol" is on telly right now. It's Christmas dinner and the goose has been eaten, and a lighted Christmas pudding was just brought to the table.

1) Have any of you ever had goose at Christmas? Is it tasty? Better than turkey?

2) What about Christmas pudding? I'm not even a fan of Christmas Cake (although I'm trying!) but once or twice have tried expensive brands of Christmas Pudding but really, really did not like it. Any Christmas Pudding fans here?

Someone else may ahve answered as I'm trying to catch up, but can't resist answering right away DDL: Christmas pudding is wonderful, Matthew Walker is one of the best brands. Eat with brandy butter (not custard IMO) preferably home-made brandy butter...no need to make your own pudding, so many good ones out there...once it's hot as per instructions, pour straight brandy over it right from the bottle, and ignite as you serve it...then add a little dollop of brandy butter on each helping..
tina

Beedubya Dec 22nd 2010 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 9055986)
Someone else may ahve answered as I'm trying to catch up, but can't resist answering right away DDL: Christmas pudding is wonderful, Matthew Walker is one of the best brands. Eat with brandy butter (not custard IMO) preferably home-made brandy butter...no need to make your own pudding, so many good ones out there...once it's hot as per instructions, pour straight brandy over it right from the bottle, and ignite as you serve it...then add a little dollop of brandy butter on each helping..
tina

You are supposed to be packing Miss!!! :sneaky:

Taffy Duck Dec 22nd 2010 8:01 pm

Welcome Home a Stepping Stone to Your Future
cheers...Taffy

sallysimmons Dec 22nd 2010 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9055983)
Open link in new tab
Copy link in new window
Same links as
Copy link address
Save image as..
Copy image URL
Copy image
Copy image in new tab
Inspect element

Cheers (the thick 'ead)

OK, I stand corrected. You see things there I have never even heard of and I use both Mac and PC all the time. I guess all computers aren't the same. Sorry!

cheers Dec 22nd 2010 9:44 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 97779

I'm much more handsome that this:lol:

Cheers

ldyinlv Dec 22nd 2010 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9056223)
Attachment 97779

Cheers

WOW..what a hunk..;)

Georgew13 Dec 22nd 2010 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9055983)
Open link in new tab
Copy link in new window
Same links as
Copy link address
Save image as..
Copy image URL
Copy image
Copy image in new tab
Inspect element

Cheers (the thick 'ead)

save image as

"save it with default name that your PC comes up with or rename it"
then it will be on your PC, then you can right click your copy and save it as desktop back ground.

Hope this will help
George

dontheturner Dec 23rd 2010 12:37 am

Originally Posted by charleygirl (Post 9056426)
Lovely to catch up, DDL and JJ love the photos.......Between two worlds, so glad you managed to get there, I usually fly to Brum...
My husband works for a company in Ma. but they are a large French company with offices world wide..........just a long shot!

Barb........hubby thought Sidney was full of drunks...........and the news was full of Police telling them to stay home.....and it was HOT as hell.

Have a great evening everyone.

How do we post a picture here??

Hi, Look down below your typing reply, to ''Manage attachments'', select the one you want to send, then go down and send with your 'submit reply' don.

charleygirl Dec 23rd 2010 3:34 am

1 Attachment(s)
Going to attempt a photo of me with my certificate.

dontheturner Dec 23rd 2010 4:26 am

Originally Posted by charleygirl (Post 9056728)

I love a nice Smile - Thank You dontheturner

Mummy in the foothills Dec 23rd 2010 5:07 am

:thumbsup: Well done.

cheers Dec 23rd 2010 5:52 am

1 Attachment(s)
Just experimenting and following Don and Charliegirl on posting pictures.
Looks like it worked
Thanks.
Lot of work.

Tanto Dec 23rd 2010 6:39 am

Wow, you look so full of joy and pride! What a great photo.
Congratulations!!!

Tanto Dec 23rd 2010 6:42 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9056846)
Looks like it worked
Thanks.
Lot of work.

It worked very well!! Please send some more photos....

DDL Dec 23rd 2010 9:34 am

You look so happy with your new US Citizenship! Congratulations again! :thumbsup:

Beedubya Dec 23rd 2010 10:02 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9056223)
Attachment 97779

Cheers

You are just asking for trouble now posting your pic on a forum full of single ladies. ;) Tell Mrs Cheers to watch her step LOL!!;)

Beedubya Dec 23rd 2010 10:04 am

Well done Charleygirl, a lovely big smile and a scarf bought in the UK I believe!! :lol:

Beedubya Dec 23rd 2010 10:06 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9056846)
Looks like it worked
Thanks.
Lot of work.

Is there any reason you have a white cat on your shoulder? LOL!! :lol:

J.J Dec 23rd 2010 3:38 pm

Big congrats to you charleygirl, well done

cheers Dec 23rd 2010 4:03 pm

1 Attachment(s)
This is my son and grandchildren December 17, 2010
Because of scheduling we had to open z pres early.
Merry Christmas,
Cheers

cheers Dec 23rd 2010 4:12 pm

1 Attachment(s)
A very Merry Christmas to all over 50's & 60's who have or are moving back

From
Cheers

Our front door

Beedubya Dec 23rd 2010 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9057707)
This is my son and grandchildren December 17, 2010
Because of scheduling we had to open z pres early.
Merry Christmas,
Cheers

Lovely grand-children Cheers and all so young they must keep you and Mrs Cheers on your toes!! :lol:

Beedubya Dec 23rd 2010 8:00 pm

It is Christmas Eve here already in Australia.

So.........

WISHING YOU ALL A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS WHEREVER YOU ARE AND HOPING YOUR DREAM COMES TRUE TO GET TO WHEREVER YOU WANT TO GET TO IN THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND.

HERE'S HOPING 2011 IS THE YEAR THAT EVERYBODY ON THIS GREAT THREAD GETS TO HAVE THEIR WISHES COME TRUE.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY HO! HO! HO!

I'm Driving Home For Christmas - no crying now!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THcbQ...eature=related

Mummy in the foothills Dec 23rd 2010 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9058113)
It is Christmas Eve here already in Australia.

So.........

WISHING YOU ALL A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS WHEREVER YOU ARE AND HOPING YOUR DREAM COMES TRUE TO GET TO WHEREVER YOU WANT TO GET TO IN THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND.

HERE'S HOPING 2011 IS THE YEAR THAT EVERYBODY ON THIS GREAT THREAD GETS TO HAVE THEIR WISHES COME TRUE.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY HO! HO! HO!

I'm Driving Home For Christmas - no crying now!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THcbQ...eature=related

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ldyinlv Dec 23rd 2010 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9058335)
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE, I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS, AND MAY ALL OF YOUR WISHES COME TRUE..:)

Englishmum Dec 24th 2010 1:06 am

Hello everyone from totally tropical Singapore!

Going completely off topic, but just wanted to share this with you:

Last night we went out for dinner with two other expat couples (my spouse is in a really small office with just two colleagues, so we had a Christmas get-together with the husbands and wives).

We went to a lovely old 'Black and White' colonial house on a hill at Fort Canning, which many many years ago was the Fire Chief's residence. It's beautifully decorated for Christmas.

http://www.flutes.com.sg (I'd love to live in a "Black and White" - they are very sought after amongst the expat community, but I do worry about the snakes which often appear as the houses are all surrounded by lush vegetation....

Well, after a little while a handsome young Chinese man sitting at a nearby table got up and returned with a guitar and sang this song to his girlfriend:

There was a bottle of plonk in a wine cooler next to the young lady......I said to our friends 'Hey, it looks like he's going to propose!" At the end of the song, he got down on one knee and pulled out a box containing an engagement ring....and then announced to all of us onlookers..."She said yes!" so we all cheered... :) and my husband took a photo of their special moment to forward to them. It's the second time I've seen young Singaporeans serenading their girlfriends with guitars and then proposing to them. So romantic! :)

(However, one of our friends noticed that at two seperate tables behind where I was sitting, two Chinese women burst into tears and stormed off within minutes of each other. I do wonder if they were mistresses getting the news that their lovers weren't going to spend the Christmas holidays with them.....!)

ldyinlv Dec 24th 2010 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9058514)

Last night we went out for dinner with two other expat couples (my spouse is in a really small office with just two colleagues, so we had a Christmas get-together with the husbands and wives).

We went to a lovely old 'Black and White' colonial house, which many many years ago was the Fire Chief's residence. It's beautifully decorated for Christmas.

http://www.flutes.com.sg

Well, after a little while a handsome young Chinese man got up and returned with a guitar and sang this song to his girlfriend:

Looks lovely..:)

sallysimmons Dec 24th 2010 1:10 am

That song is one of my guilty pleasures. Love it!

Happy holidays everyone. May we all find what we're looking for in the new year.

ldyinlv Dec 24th 2010 1:11 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9058522)
That song is one of my guilty pleasures. Love it!

Happy holidays everyone. May we all find what we're looking for in the new year.

Yes, I like it too..:)

Tanto Dec 24th 2010 6:50 am

We went to a lovely old 'Black and White' colonial house on a hill at Fort Canning, which many many years ago was the Fire Chief's residence. It's beautifully decorated for Christmas.

http://www.flutes.com.sg (I'd love to live in a "Black and White" - they are very sought after amongst the expat community, but I do worry about the snakes which often appear as the houses are all surrounded by lush vegetation....

Well, after a little while a handsome young Chinese man sitting at a nearby table got up and returned with a guitar and sang this song to his girlfriend:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LjhCEhWiKXk

There was a bottle of plonk in a wine cooler next to the young lady......I said to our friends 'Hey, it looks like he's going to propose!" At the end of the song, he got down on one knee and pulled out a box containing an engagement ring....and then announced to all of us onlookers..."She said yes!" so we all cheered... :) and my husband took a photo of their special moment to forward to them. It's the second time I've seen young Singaporeans serenading their girlfriends with guitars and then proposing to them. So romantic! :)

(However, one of our friends noticed that at two seperate tables behind where I was sitting, two Chinese women burst into tears and stormed off within minutes of each other. I do wonder if they were mistresses getting the news that their lovers weren't going to spend the Christmas holidays with them.....!)

Thank you for sharing your very festive evening, what a lovely experience!
Happy Christmas and a joyous New Year!!

Tanto Dec 24th 2010 6:54 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9058650)
I'm posting these pictures of Keswick. They're really nice festive pictures.

http://www.lakelandcam.co.uk/index.html

Enjoy,

Cheers

Stunning photos - thank you Cheers. Happy Christmas to you and yours!
Tanto

Tanto Dec 24th 2010 6:56 am

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9058524)
Yes, I like it too..:)

Hey Jackie,
Hope you stayed dry and safe in this recent deluge - Las Vegas looked a mess!
Happy Christmas to you!!
Tanto

dgjamison Dec 24th 2010 8:32 am

Hi everyone. just want to wish you all a very Happy Christmas, and a happy and peacefull new year from a very very cold icy and white covered Cork, ironic we were in Canada for Xmas last year and NO Snow:confused: Having grandkids round this afternoon, for tidbits, with fire and candles lit and watching home alone 1&2 really looking forward to it Hope Santa is good to you all and you get all that you wish for Denise 2:thumbsup::wub:

dontheturner Dec 24th 2010 8:36 am

Originally Posted by dgjamison (Post 9059005)
Hi everyone. just want to wish you all a very Happy Christmas, and a happy and peacefull new year from a very very cold icy and white covered Cork, ironic we were in Canada for Xmas last year and NO Snow:confused: Having grandkids round this afternoon, for tidbits, with fire and candles lit and watching home alone 1&2 really looking forward to it Hope Santa is good to you all and you get all that you wish for Denise 2:thumbsup::wub:

I think everyone else, has gone to bed early, to wait for Santa.

dgjamison Dec 24th 2010 9:18 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9059012)
I think everyone else, has gone to bed early, to wait for Santa.

of course you are probably way ahead in time from us here, it is only 10.15am.:rofl: Don maybe you could help do you have a good receipe for Chestnut stuffing? we never have had it before, I have always followed my mums sage and onion receipe which I love, but my oh would like to try it any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Denise2

dgjamison Dec 24th 2010 9:20 am

:thumbsup:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LjhCEhWiKXk

:thumbsup::rofl::rofl::rofl:

dontheturner Dec 24th 2010 10:14 am

Originally Posted by dgjamison (Post 9059069)
of course you are probably way ahead in time from us here, it is only 10.15am.:rofl: Don maybe you could help do you have a good receipe for Chestnut stuffing? we never have had it before, I have always followed my mums sage and onion receipe which I love, but my oh would like to try it any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Denise2

Denise 2, I have only done this once, with doble the qty- but 2nd Wife, did it every year,You need:-Cup Chestnuts, 1/2 Cup Margarine, 1/4 Decent sized Onion,Small Yesterdays loaf(Leftout to dry)one egg, 1/4 Cup milk,(Salt and pepper when mixed, to your taste)., (me,I Boil The onion first) then chop up small. Score the Chesnuts, and set to boil for a little over 1/2 hr, till tender, Peel,then chop up small....Melt Margarine in the saucepan.add all dry ingredients, Beat the egg, and stir well into the milk, and add this then to the mixture, Dont forget salt and pepper to taste. Bake in the oven, (Here, bottle gas so 180), for 3/4 hour. Mothers book, says 350, gas mark 7. Superb. - Always taste before you cook, otherwise, maybe too much salt - which Thais Hate! Yes we are 7 hrs ahead of UK. Love, and Merry Christmas, Let me know, how you find it. What about Cake recipe, ? I have very very easy one. Don.

DDL Dec 24th 2010 11:04 am

We had Christmas dinner last night since none of us will be here on Christmas Day. Golden Norfolk roast turkey, gammon, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, parsnips, fresh runner beans, Yorkshire Pudding, sage and onion dressing, cranberry sauce, and gravy - all washed down with a bottle of Asti Spumante. Mum really outdid herself for us. It was delicious!!!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3585896_n.jpg

Taffy Duck Dec 24th 2010 12:38 pm

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE HO! HO! HO!

:beer::drinkwine::beer::drinkwine::beer:

Cheers...Taffy