British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Gabgoeshome Apr 12th 2011 8:04 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by chriswinter (Post 9301101)
Actually, I was 'serious' about it back in the fall of 2009. I was inquiring then directly with a realtor/letting firm in Sheffield. But decided that more than likely, that it was a knee-jerk reaction to my dh passing away...and it was. So is good I didn't do it back then. But I have had time now to process and I'm still processing..as are both of my sons, as well. So that in and of itself might make the choice/decision a little easier for me and them too.
Well your moving back to Dorset....looks like a great place to be with your family! :D Am sincerely wishing you and your family the smoothest of moves back home.

Don't know about the Channel Islands...any of your relatives carry the last name of Clark/e?? :fingerscrossed:

Yes,Clark/e I think they do ...I am going to ask my Mum ~sounds familiar actually ...

It would be wonderful if you could move with your children ...but then your Grandchildren are here in the US right ?

I agree it was good that you waited before moving or making quick choices .

My Grandmother lived all over the place ,when she was 60 they moved to a gorgeous cottage in Suffolk (Halesworth ).Norfolk and Suffolk are BEAUTIFUL too ...:wub:
Have a look when you are having a UK browse :D you could choose a beach spot lol !

Thank you for your Support ,it is very much needed :)

windsong Apr 12th 2011 8:25 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9301210)
Well today and yesterday have sucked. Last night we found out that our favorite cat had terminal cancer and only had days to live. He was in pain and there was nothing the vet could do for him, so we made the decision to put him to sleep this morning.

He was a brave little cat who was sick most of his life and yet who was filled with love. We brought him through lots of illnesses, but we couldn't help him through this one. We loved him with all our hearts and will miss him.

We stayed up late last night talking after we got the news and talk turned to moving home. My husband brought it up, and we had the first in-depth conversation we've had about it in months. He really does want to move, and that's when he told me he was rethinking his original plan to wait 5 or 6 years. We don't think we'll be financially ready to make the move until the end of next year, but who knows - we may change our minds again. The main thing is that we're on the same page now and I no longer feel I'm dragging him kicking and screaming.

So last night was a night I won't forget in a hurry. The worst news and the best news all at the same time. I can't be happy about the good news just yet but I know I will be.

Sally, I am so, so sorry about our little cat. I know how much it hurts to lose a beloved pet.

Tina

chriswinter Apr 12th 2011 8:54 pm

Well today and yesterday have sucked. Last night we found out that our favorite cat had terminal cancer and only had days to live. He was in pain and there was nothing the vet could do for him, so we made the decision to put him to sleep this morning.

He was a brave little cat who was sick most of his life and yet who was filled with love. We brought him through lots of illnesses, but we couldn't help him through this one. We loved him with all our hearts and will miss him.

We stayed up late last night talking after we got the news and talk turned to moving home. My husband brought it up, and we had the first in-depth conversation we've had about it in months. He really does want to move, and that's when he told me he was rethinking his original plan to wait 5 or 6 years. We don't think we'll be financially ready to make the move until the end of next year, but who knows - we may change our minds again. The main thing is that we're on the same page now and I no longer feel I'm dragging him kicking and screaming.

So last night was a night I won't forget in a hurry. The worst news and the best news all at the same time. I can't be happy about the good news just yet but I know I will be.

I'm so sorry Sally, about your dear cat. That surely is a loss and it hurts. Poor thing...I don't believe in letting our dear pets suffer. I'm sorry.:(

I worry about my Molly (my dear mowser who now lives with my one son now)..she is 17 yrs old and seems to be doing well..but she is aging and would be a terrible loss for all of us.

Yet glad to hear, that you and your husband are now on the same page.

Chris

sallysimmons Apr 12th 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks guys. It's hard to describe what a sweetheart he was. He was only 6lbs and yet he was the bravest of all the cats we've ever had. Never phased by visitors or workmen, not scared of the vacuum cleaner, and always brave about taking his medication or staying in the vet's which he's had to do a few times. I love all my pets, but I had a special bond with this one.

HighTide Apr 12th 2011 9:26 pm

So very sorry to hear about the loss of your cat Sally. It is so very difficult to lose a pet but he must have known how loved he was.

islandwoman120 Apr 12th 2011 10:13 pm

Salisbury cathedral photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7626469605960/

Englishmum Apr 12th 2011 10:27 pm

Oh, how sad :( You cat must have known how much he was loved and I'm sure he will live on in your hearts.

Sending big (((((hugs))))) to you and your husband.

Celticspirit Apr 12th 2011 10:57 pm

I am deeply sorry to hear about your kitty. Much as you will miss him, your fondest memories will always remain. I thank God for humane euthanasia for animals in pain. Take care......

Derrygal Apr 13th 2011 12:03 am

Sally I am so sorry about your little cat - I know you will miss him. Animals are such a comfort and they become part of your family, so it really does feel like you have lost a family member when you lose a pet.

trottytrue Apr 13th 2011 2:13 am

Sallysimmons.....Very sorry about your little cat. I think most of us know that deep hurt when we have to put our little friends to sleep. I think what helps will be all the loving thoughts you have about him. I am really pleased about you and your husband talking about going home.

bandrui Apr 13th 2011 4:35 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9300419)
It's that commonly shared perception that it's not cultured up north.

I've never thought the North was without culture, having spent a lot of time in the North East due to family in Stoke. We always went North from there each year. Lots of trips to theatre, etc. I just didn't put Rodin and Liverpool together :lol:.

bandrui Apr 13th 2011 4:38 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9300435)
Gosh, I didn't realize that England got so much more sunshine than Scotland, particularly in the southern parts.

I have come to realise how important light is to me. That is why I was looking for climate maps. Since sunlight is such an important source of vitamin D, I guess it's the South or vitamin D supplements for me.
I am a shameless Sassenack but would love to explore the North more, including Scotland which I have never visited... but in the summer. ;)

bandrui Apr 13th 2011 4:59 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9300653)
Another, sorry sold

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29319226.html

OK this maybe too close to the main road but windsong will like that there a bus stop there.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29319025.html

OK, last one then I've got to get ready for my trip to California.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29319037.html

Good work. Nice houses. That's an area of Gloucestershire I don't know too much about. Wonder if the Severn has a flood plain?

bandrui Apr 13th 2011 5:41 am

Originally Posted by chriswinter (Post 9300946)
And not the least to mention, I've always had this Gypsy thing about me. I thought maybe by now the wander-lust within me would have been quelled...it hasn't. Sometimes it's a blessing, sometimes it's a curse. But, I'm still alive, there is more I want to see and experience while I'm here. I still have some life in these ole bones and I want to live it the best I can! :D I still have hope.

I'll second that Chris. One of my prime reasons for moving back to the UK is to explore... both my own country and also France and Italy. I suppose that is one of the reasons that I would like to be in the South. Access to ferries and trains.
My Grandma used to say, "You're like me. You've got gypsy in your soul". and she was right. Have always loved travelling and hope to do more yet, especially around the UK. I just can't seem to decide where in the South I want to live so I shall no doubt end up renting for a while. I would love to just travel around for a few months until I find that place that says "This is me!"

between two worlds Apr 13th 2011 5:48 am

Just joining my voice to the others, sallysimmons, to say I am so sorry about the loss of your cat.

But also, this is great news that your husband is now eager to go back to UK sooner rather than later, and you can plan together.

Tina