British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

dunroving Jan 23rd 2011 9:08 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9123401)
First 5 or 10 minutes of every local newscast is very depressing, its either cops killed or cops killing, gangs or lovers or bar killings, think Ive got um all, its wall to wall Murder here, we have so much to choose from, here in Oregon we are overloaded with local news its on

4-9 in the morning...

12-1 at lunch

4-7 in evening with 30 mins of that national...

then again at 10 or 11 depending which channel...

Very Depressing... no wonder the country is in a mess...

Theft is up here too, at least it seems that way, lots of jewel store robberies, people looking at expensive stuff to buy and running off with it...
Lots of Morons taking ATMs out of mini marts too...

Whereas here it's headless corpses found in the Clyde, pedophile gangs, alcohol consumption statistics, strike plans, and miscellaneous stories about how the country is going to the dogs.

Not sure which is more depressing.

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 23rd 2011 9:10 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Englishman43 (Post 9123240)
I've always found it funny how there's no way in hell a bit of boob or tackle is allowed to be shown yet movies with murders, rapes, shootings, drugs, gang activity etc are fine ?? ;) .

I guess boobs are more dangerous than I thought !

My thoughts exactly...

Boobs Kill, guns just put um to sleep for a while ... lol

Tackle hahhaaaa what are you talking about... LOL.. Meat n two Veg? LOL...

My Mrs feels so left out even on HBO, no naughty bits to excite her, she cries descrimination...

ldyinlv Jan 23rd 2011 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9123412)
Whereas here it's headless corpses found in the Clyde, pedophile gangs, alcohol consumption statistics, strike plans, and miscellaneous stories about how the country is going to the dogs.

Pedophile gangs???????!!!!OMG what is that?

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 23rd 2011 9:11 pm

I get the point...

Gabgoeshome Jan 23rd 2011 9:16 pm

Thing is ,at least there is a watershed in the UK .

I didn't think it would make much difference ...it really does though .

I think one can choose not to have the news on when you have tiny ones around ,even ABC family is full of violence during the breaks :(

There is not one channel (bar PBS)that I can sit down with my younger children and relax .

I am a VERY active member of another forum(American ) ,I posed my problem with violence to them ,I got maybe 4 replies -even those women that answered were not that bothered .

No disrespect to Americans intended ...:)

dunroving Jan 23rd 2011 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9123422)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-12143586

(Don't read if you are squeamish)

And of course there are the gangs who are "grooming" young girls, many of whom are underage. Frightful.

dunroving Jan 23rd 2011 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome (Post 9123436)

I think one can choose not to have the news on when you have tiny ones around ,even ABC family is full of violence during the breaks :(

There is not one channel (bar PBS)that I can sit down with my younger children and relax .

I am a VERY active member of another forum(American ) ,I posed my problem with violence to them ,I got maybe 4 replies -even those women that answered were not that bothered .

OK, I get your point - but I thought there WAS a watershed over there (that's why they showed booty on NYPD Blue, after 9:00 p.m., but not earlier progs).

Anyway, as far as the news goes in the UK it seems anything goes, at any time. Makes you wonder how much of it is sinking into those impressionable minds.

Gabgoeshome Jan 23rd 2011 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9123455)
OK, I get your point - but I thought there WAS a watershed over there (that's why they showed booty on NYPD Blue, after 9:00 p.m., but not earlier progs).

Anyway, as far as the news goes in the UK it seems anything goes, at any time. Makes you wonder how much of it is sinking into those impressionable minds.

Lol ...booty might have a watershed.;)

It is just machine guns that don't !:rofl:

ldyinlv Jan 23rd 2011 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9123447)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-12143586

(Don't read if you are squeamish)

And of course there are the gangs who are "grooming" young girls, many of whom are underage. Frightful.

OMG thats discusting...they should be hung

Mummy in the foothills Jan 23rd 2011 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9123420)
My thoughts exactly...

Boobs Kill, guns just put um to sleep for a while ... lol

Tackle hahhaaaa what are you talking about... LOL.. Meat n two Veg? LOL...

My Mrs feels so left out even on HBO, no naughty bits to excite her, she cries descrimination...

:rofl: OMG you sound like Austin Powers, meat and two veg :rofl:

Mummy in the foothills Jan 23rd 2011 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9123422)

I read something about this on BBC online. Grooming young white girls by Indian men saying they wouldn't touch good Indian girls but white girls are easy or something, some politician got himself in a pickle over it all.
DR got there before me Opps.

ldyinlv Jan 23rd 2011 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9123495)
I read something about this on BBC online. Grooming young white girls by Indian men saying they wouldn't touch good Indian girls but white girls are easy or something, some politician got himself in a pickle over it all.

WOW, that is just sick..unimaginable.

beachgal21 Jan 23rd 2011 9:42 pm

Here's what I noticed about violent crime here in the US, is that it only really makes the local news. I'm not talking about incidents like the recent political shooting in AZ or the shooting at the college in VA. I'm talking of a shooting or murder in the next town. I live on the Gulf coast of Florida, Orlando is approx 2 hours away, but we don't get news of violent crime in Orlando on our news. When I lived in the UK, any murder was national news and it stayed in the news for at least a few days if not longer. Here, it makes the local news for one day tops. Maybe if all the violent crime was reported on the national news here, then Americans might start to realize just what a violent country they live in.

Mummy in the foothills Jan 23rd 2011 9:42 pm

The blood and guts commercials in the middle of the family time gets me too. I really like the watershed idea they have going in UK. Then there wouldn't be Bones coming on at dinner time or Law and Order at noon.

Mummy in the foothills Jan 23rd 2011 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9123500)
Here's what I noticed about violent crime here in the US, is that it only really makes the local news. I'm not talking about incidents like the recent political shooting in AZ or the shooting at the college in VA. I'm talking of a shooting or murder in the next town. I live on the Gulf coast of Florida, Orlando is approx 2 hours away, but we don't get news of violent crime in Orlando on our news. When I lived in the UK, any murder was national news and it stayed in the news for at least a few days if not longer. Here, it makes the local news for one day tops. Maybe if all the violent crime was reported on the national news here, then Americans might start to realize just what a violent country they live in.

Half the time they don't even report murders here on the news, unless it was something unusual like a child was involved or it was a pillar of the community or a cop (theres still daily reports of murder though). Anything where two unknowns or god forbid a gang member and it doesn't get 30 seconds, but it may make it half way though the local paper.