British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

fish.01 Jan 23rd 2011 12:00 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9121697)
ETA: Just watching Phil Spencer finding houses for Brits in Australia. The houses are all so new! Ick. I really don't like anything he has shown them. I'm waiting for him to pull a beautiful Georgian terrace out of the bag but I guess it's not happening. LOL.

Why not? Lots of georgian terrace in sydney...most British immigrants seem to want to move to large new estates in outer suburbs so character homes never seem to be shown on these shows. It's a pity as we have so many nice character homes but they just concentrate on new stuff with swimming pools. :thumbdown:

dunroving Jan 23rd 2011 12:04 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9122351)
Not forgetting of course, Frome's most favourite son, Jensen Button.................:p

... the lesser-known cousin of Jenson Button. ;)

sallysimmons Jan 23rd 2011 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9121708)
You will be waiting a long time then!!! This country is too new.......

I know, I was kidding ;-)

I couldn't live in the kind of places he was showing people, but he sure was making it sound as though Australian life is paradise and England sucks. Boo hiss, Phil!

sallysimmons Jan 23rd 2011 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9122337)
As you are name dropping about Phil and houses in Australia - Kevin Mc Cloud (Grand Designs) lives close by to Frome, and is opening the Green Fair this summer. So I will get to meet a celebrity :).

LOVE his show! He shows people who are building their own homes from scratch. I have absolutely no DIY skills but he inspired me - the other day I plugged a hole in the wall with pollyfilla (sp?) and painted it!

Be sure to tell him how much he has inspired me :lol:

fish.01 Jan 23rd 2011 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9121708)
You will be waiting a long time then!!! This country is too new.......

...not too new for a Georgian terrace.....plenty of them.

beachgal21 Jan 23rd 2011 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9122535)
I know, I was kidding ;-)

I couldn't live in the kind of places he was showing people, but he sure was making it sound as though Australian life is paradise and England sucks. Boo hiss, Phil!

I've watched 2 episodes of this program and I do enjoy it. But I agree with you Sally, he does seem to paint a very rosy picture. I've never been to Australia so my opinions are based on what I've seen on tv and what I've read on these forums. I read about the very high cost of living, having to deal with lots of flies, spiders etc and that it can be very difficult to make good friends amongst Australians. Yet you never hear mention of anything like this during his program, so it seems a very unbalanced view. Maybe his program is secretly funded by the Australian Government in an effort to 'cherry pick' professionals from the UK :p

fish.01 Jan 23rd 2011 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9122654)
...I read about the very high cost of living, having to deal with lots of flies, spiders etc and that it can be very difficult to make good friends amongst Australians. Yet you never hear mention of anything like this during his program, so it seems a very unbalanced view. Maybe his program is secretly funded by the Australian Government in an effort to 'cherry pick' professionals from the UK :p

Probably because you can read the total opposite of these views on the forums as well....talking about 'cherry picking'...unless MBTTUK is the only stuff you read ;)

sallysimmons Jan 23rd 2011 2:08 pm

OK, who wants to be me? Off to 'A Salt and Battery' for fish and chips at lunchtime.

Better have salad for dinner tonight to make up for this. :lol:

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9122654)
I've watched 2 episodes of this program and I do enjoy it. But I agree with you Sally, he does seem to paint a very rosy picture. I've never been to Australia so my opinions are based on what I've seen on tv and what I've read on these forums. I read about the very high cost of living, having to deal with lots of flies, spiders etc and that it can be very difficult to make good friends amongst Australians. Yet you never hear mention of anything like this during his program, so it seems a very unbalanced view. Maybe his program is secretly funded by the Australian Government in an effort to 'cherry pick' professionals from the UK :p

I think it's a real problem to pretend Shangri-La exists anywhere, but the image presented of Australia on that show is of paradise. I've moved around a lot and I know one thing about paradise - it doesn't exist. If people leave what the perceive to be a dreary life because they imagine nothing but sun, sand and surf, I think they could find themselves very unhappy when reality sinks in.

beachgal21 Jan 23rd 2011 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9122726)
OK, who wants to be me? Off to 'A Salt and Battery' for fish and chips at lunchtime.

Oh shut up ;)

fish.01 Jan 23rd 2011 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9122726)

I think it's a real problem to pretend Shangri-La exists anywhere, but the image presented of Australia on that show is of paradise. I've moved around a lot and I know one thing about paradise - it doesn't exist. If people leave what the perceive to be a dreary life because they imagine nothing but sun, sand and surf, I think they could find themselves very unhappy when reality sinks in.

A few people on another thread were commenting that one of these shows (can't remember which one) was a lot more realistic in their latest season. Obviously sounds like it wasn't this one.

Since the pound has dropped so much Australia is out of reach for a lot of Brits at the moment and they should reflect this on the shows.

islandwoman120 Jan 23rd 2011 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9122540)
LOVE his show! He shows people who are building their own homes from scratch. I have absolutely no DIY skills but he inspired me - the other day I plugged a hole in the wall with pollyfilla (sp?) and painted it!

Be sure to tell him how much he has inspired me :lol:

I sure will do that, Miss Sallysimmons. At least you didn't use toothpaste like we did in college dorm days! LOL

beachgal21 Jan 23rd 2011 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by fish.01 (Post 9122744)
A few people on another thread were commenting that one of these shows (can't remember which one) was a lot more realistic in their latest season. Obviously sounds like it wasn't this one.

Since the pound has dropped so much Australia is out of reach for a lot of Brits at the moment and they should reflect this on the shows.

That's probably 'Wanted Down Under', I've seen that several times and yes it does seem more realistic. The last couple I've seen have shown how difficult it can be to find work there and also how much more expensive the cost of living is now the exchange rate isn't as favorable.

dunroving Jan 23rd 2011 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by fish.01 (Post 9122744)

I did catch an episode a week ago (I don't usually watch it, I ws just checking the channels after setting up my new Humax receiver), in which the couple realised that houses were way above their budget (he was a bricklayer, I think).

I didn't get the chance to watch it until the end, but I remember thinking, "Don't do it!" The wife was really worried about leaving family, but the husband wanted to start a new life that would give his kids more opportunities. It just seemed like if they moved to Australia it would be a recipe for disaster.

[Edit: the prog was "Wanted Down Under", not "Phil gets the Chance to Visit his Wife's Country at the TV Company's Expense", or whatever the correct name is]

beachgal21 Jan 23rd 2011 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9122775)
I did catch an episode a week ago (I don't usually watch it, I ws just checking the channels after setting up my new Humax receiver), in which the couple realised that houses were way above their budget (he was a bricklayer, I think).

I didn't get the chance to watch it until the end, but I remember thinking, "Don't do it!" The wife was really worried about leaving family, but the husband wanted to start a new life that would give his kids more opportunities. It just seemed like if they moved to Australia it would be a recipe for disaster.

I think they still voted for Australia in the end. In fact thats something that amazes me about about the people in the this show, that even after seeing how badly off they could be, they still opt to up-sticks and go.

dunroving Jan 23rd 2011 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9122780)
I think they still voted for Australia in the end. In fact thats something that amazes me about about the people in the this show, that even after seeing how badly off they could be, they still opt to up-sticks and go.

I'm really surprised - I bet there were tears at the airport. I really hope it works out for them, but I just can't see it.