British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

sallysimmons Jan 23rd 2011 3:00 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9122775)
"Phil gets the Chance to Visit his Wife's Country at the TV Company's Expense"

:rofl::rofl:

Comment of the day for sure.

beachgal21 Jan 23rd 2011 3:05 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Talking of tv ... I watched a film last night on BBC iPlayer with Pete Postlethwaite. I can't recall the name of it, but it's where he and a bunch of other guys are employed to paint some electric pylons on the Yorkshire Moors. Apart from the stunning views of Gods own country, I also got a great view of Pete Postlethwaites errmmm .... how can I say this .... tackle :o After 10 years of US censorship I can tell you it did come as somewhat of a surprise to see the very talented Mr Postlethwaite and his female co-star running around showing off far more than their acting abilities. Don't get me wrong, I'm far from being a prude, but you do get used to not seeing this much CLOSE-UP nudity on tv here.

Apart from having to fit my eyeballs back in their sockets and pick my jaw up off the floor :eek: I can relay that I thoroughly enjoyed this black comedy :thumbsup:

dunroving Jan 23rd 2011 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9122828)
Talking of tv ... I watched a film last night on BBC iPlayer with Pete Postlethwaite. I can't recall the name of it, but it's where he and a bunch of other guys are employed to paint some electric pylons on the Yorkshire Moors. Apart from the stunning views of Gods own country, I also got a great view of Pete Postlethwaites errmmm .... how can I say this .... tackle :o After 10 years of US censorship I can tell you it did come as somewhat of a surprise to see the very talented Mr Postlethwaite and his female co-star running around showing off far more than their acting abilities. Don't get me wrong, I'm far from being a prude, but you do get used to not seeing this much CLOSE-UP nudity on tv here.

Apart from having to fit my eyeballs back in their sockets and pick my jaw up off the floor :eek: I can relay that I thoroughly enjoyed this black comedy :thumbsup:

It's called Among Giants. I have it recorded on my new Humax PVR.

I watched a few minutes of it while it was recording and there were one or two nice shots of his co-star, rachel Griffiths too. :rofl: I think she is Australian but has appeared as a Yank in a number of movies and TV series.

beachgal21 Jan 23rd 2011 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9122835)

I watched a few minutes of it while it was recording and there were one or two nice shots of his co-star, rachel Griffiths too. :rofl: I think she is Australian but has appeared as a Yank in a number of movies and TV series.

Oh are you in for treat :rofl:

Whats a Humax PVR?

Englishmum Jan 23rd 2011 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9122828)

After 10 years of US censorship I can tell you it did come as somewhat of a surprise to see the very talented Mr Postlethwaite and his female co-star running around showing off far more than their acting abilities. Don't get me wrong, I'm far from being a prude, but you do get used to not seeing this much CLOSE-UP nudity on tv here.

I was watching the History Channel last night (here in New Jersey) as they were showing a documentary series of the rise and fall of the Third Reich. I was astonished when they had fuzzed out the genitals, bums and breasts of the Holocaust victims. :rolleyes: They never covered them up in the UK when I was a kid and the "World At War" was on the TV on a Sunday afternoon....

aviva Jan 23rd 2011 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9122835)

She is a regular on the ABC show on Sunday nights called "Brothers & Sisters"

dunroving Jan 23rd 2011 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9122853)
Oh are you in for treat :rofl:

Whats a Humax PVR?

It's a Freesat set-top box that also records (like Tivo in the States except Freesat channels are free, same as Freeview except via a Sky dish).

Mallory Jan 23rd 2011 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9122860)
I was watching the History Channel last night (here in New Jersey) as they were showing a documentary series of the rise and fall of the Third Reich. I was astonished when they had fuzzed out the genitals, bums and breasts of the Holocaust victims. :rolleyes: They never covered them up in the UK when I was a kid and the "World At War" was on the TV on a Sunday afternoon....

They didn't have that technology to fuzz out years ago. I think they fuzz it out, not to protect the viewer, but to protect the privacy of the victims and their families.

aviva Jan 23rd 2011 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 9122873)
They didn't have that technology to fuzz out years ago. I think they fuzz it out, not to protect the viewer, but to protect the privacy of the victims and their families.

Don't agree there. I think this country is stuck in the past with their Puritan views of sex and the human form.

beachgal21 Jan 23rd 2011 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9122877)
Don't agree there. I think this country is stuck in the past with their Puritan views of sex and the human form.

Agreed. Any country that's run by religious fundamentalists is th same. Take a look at Iran and Iraq, I don't expect you see much nudity on their tv either.

Derrygal Jan 23rd 2011 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9122877)

Yes - you're right. Remember when John Ashcroft was Attorney General - he insisted on having some nude statues covered up. I think they were in one of the rooms in the Department of Justice.

dunroving Jan 23rd 2011 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9122904)
Yes - you're right. Remember when John Ashcroft was Attorney General - he insisted on having some nude statues covered up. I think they were in one of the rooms in the Department of Justice.

I don't think Clinton had any of those hang-ups. ;)

aviva Jan 23rd 2011 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9122931)

Not in private anyway. Public persona rules.

sallysimmons Jan 23rd 2011 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9122931)

No, he used to pull up a chair and spend hours there :D

Beedubya Jan 23rd 2011 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9122484)
... the lesser-known cousin of Jenson Button. ;)

Grammar police now!!!! ;)