British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Lorac05 Jan 27th 2011 2:54 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9132901)
This morning, we had 12 inches of snow. That landed on top of the 6 inches from last week and what was left of the 15 inches two weeks ago. It's going to snow again tomorrow and Friday :eek: then start up again on Tuesday.

Hard to believe that last August it was over 100 degrees for 2 weeks running and we had to fill the house with fans to stay comfortable because the air conditioning couldn't keep up.

This morning looking out of the window, OH said 'I'm dreaming of a grey rainy day in the Yorkshire Dales.' :thumbsup:

Same here in Jersey City. Luckily I am not working today so can stay in and stay warm. Went to the store yesterday to ensure I had milk at least so can make a cup of Cadbury's hot chocolate later on :)

Little comments like that from your hubby must warm your heart - he is slowly coming round to the idea - which is a good way to do it - slow but sure!!!

beachgal21 Jan 27th 2011 3:07 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

It's a lovely day here in my part of Florida, cloudless blue sky, bright sunshine and around 68 degrees. I'm making the most of it as I have to be up north in a couple of weeks :(

Sally, you need to invest in some dvd's of the tv program All Creatures Great And Small. Wonderfully nostalgic with stunning views of the Yorkshire Dales. They'd be sure to give the OH a nudge in the right direction :)

between two worlds Jan 27th 2011 3:09 pm

This morning, we had 12 inches of snow. That landed on top of the 6 inches from last week and what was left of the 15 inches two weeks ago. It's going to snow again tomorrow and Friday :eek: then start up again on Tuesday.

Hard to believe that last August it was over 100 degrees for 2 weeks running and we had to fill the house with fans to stay comfortable because the air conditioning couldn't keep up.

This morning looking out of the window, OH said 'I'm dreaming of a grey rainy day in the Yorkshire Dales.' :thumbsup:

Progress! :thumbup:
I bet you never thought you'd be grateful for all that snow, eh?!

Is this really "silly chit-chat"?! Seems important enough to me (as one who has followed your posts and story with interest) to be on the"real" and original Over 50s & 60s....

Am thrilled, myself, to be in France where it is grey today but--not very cold! (compared to NE US) and no snow!

Tina

beachgal21 Jan 27th 2011 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 9132991)
Progress! :thumbup:
I bet you never thought you'd be grateful for all that snow, eh?!

Is this really "silly chit-chat"?! Seems important enough to me (as one who has followed your posts and story with interest) to be on the"real" and original Over 50s & 60s....

Am thrilled, myself, to be in France where it is grey today but--not very cold! (compared to NE US) and no snow!

Tina

Tina, I hope you don't mind me asking this, but I see from the details by your name that you moved from the US to France. What made you decide to move to France instead of the UK? If you don't want to answer, that's fine I quite understand :)

SomersetGirl Jan 27th 2011 3:20 pm

I wonder if he was as shocked as you were when he heard the words coming out of his mouth:blink:

You must have been thrilled:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

beachgal21 Jan 27th 2011 3:28 pm

You know there really is some stunningly beautiful scenery in the UK isn't there. Like the saying goes "you don't miss what you had until its gone". I watched Escape to the Country last night about a couple house hunting in Northumberland and that area was beautiful too. They did some filming inside a castle in Alnwick which is still used by the Duke and his family over the winter months. It really made me appreciate the history and heritage and when I go home I'm going to be on a mission to make sure that I get out and about and see as much as I can :thumbsup:

between two worlds Jan 27th 2011 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9133004)
Tina, I hope you don't mind me asking this, but I see from the details by your name that you moved from the US to France. What made you decide to move to France instead of the UK? If you don't want to answer, that's fine I quite understand :)

No problem, I have told my story on the "real" Over 50s & 60s forum--my husband was offered a great job opportunity here in France.
He wasn't quite ready to stop working, and this job is in the same company he worked for in US, so an easy transition.

Living here makes a great change for us from US, plus it's so much closer to home in UK and my family.

Tina

SomersetGirl Jan 27th 2011 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9133046)
You know there really is some stunningly beautiful scenery in the UK isn't there. Like the saying goes "you don't miss what you had until its gone". I watched Escape to the Country last night about a couple house hunting in Northumberland and that area was beautiful too. They did some filming inside a castle in Alnwick which is still used by the Duke and his family over the winter months. It really made me appreciate the history and heritage and when I go home I'm going to be on a mission to make sure that I get out and about and see as much as I can :thumbsup:

I agree, I guess its partly to do with getting older too:lol:I remember going on a school trip to Stratford on Avon and not being in the least bit interested in the beautiful old buildings, river, theatre etc. but just getting the attention of a good looking boy in the park:D

sallysimmons Jan 27th 2011 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9133046)

So true. Last night we watched the Michael Portillo Great Railways Journeys show and he was in Shrewsbury and some little town in Herefordshire. Both looked lovely and well worth visiting, and yet when we lived in England, I had no idea where either place even was.

When it came to anything south of Manchester, I just knew London and then a lot of place names that meant nothing. If we move back, we'll take trips all over the country.

We actually have a friend in the UK who spent years living in Spain. She dates a friend of ours who used to be a real moaner, but since they got together, he's really started to appreciate England. They're off every other weekend visiting some new part of the country and he just loves it. She said she never appreciated England until she lived away.

beachgal21 Jan 27th 2011 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 9133054)
No problem, I have told my story on the "real" Over 50s & 60s forum--my husband was offered a great job opportunity here in France.
He wasn't quite ready to stop working, and this job is in the same company he worked for in US, so an easy transition.

Living here makes a great change for us from US, plus it's so much closer to home in UK and my family.

Tina

Ah ok thank you for sharing that. Do you speak fluent French or do find that there's a lot of English speakers there? I've often thought about living part time on the continent, but wondered how much of a problem the language barrier would be.

between two worlds Jan 27th 2011 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9133138)
Ah ok thank you for sharing that. Do you speak fluent French or do find that there's a lot of English speakers there? I've often thought about living part time on the continent, but wondered how much of a problem the language barrier would be.

My French was fluent when I was 17, after doing it at school through A level and then--much more important!-- being an au pair in France at 16 and then again at 17--only a month each time, but speaking only French all day long. Then at 22 I went to live in Italy for five years and became fluent in Italian.

So I am amazed and excited to find that my long-unused French--only resuscitated sporadically over the years--is still there in my brain--not fluent any more, but I can cope with the demands of daily living including booking appointments with delivery personnel etc, explaining over the phone problems with my internet...there's some stumbling, some groping for vocabulary, but I can manage, and it's improving daily. Plus I can read the papers, the bulletins about what's on etc, which always helps. I love languages, so i am enjoying this.

I think it would be very hard indeed to live in a country without knowing the language at all. True, when I went to Italy I knew very little Italian, but I had studied both Latin and French through A level and a bit in college as well, so I had a useful basis, and I was motivated.

That said, there are indeed many English speakers in many parts of France, so there's an expat community and I know there are people who for whatever reason (eg using English all day at work as teachers or whatever) haven't learnt much French who are happy here and have active social lives. There are English clubs, American clubs, etc.

Tina

ldyinlv Jan 27th 2011 5:04 pm

Well, i made it..:) Its cold, rainy, overcast...but great to be here. I have already had about 432 cups of tea,..:) its wonderful seeing my Mom and Dad, and everyone is well...I am a little jet lagged, but its good to be here finally. Will write more later..
Jackie..;):thumbsup:

SomersetGirl Jan 27th 2011 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9133226)
Well, i made it..:) Its cold, rainy, overcast...but great to be here. I have already had about 432 cups of tea,..:) its wonderful seeing my Mom and Dad, and everyone is well...I am a little jet lagged, but its good to be here finally. Will write more later..

WELCOME HOME:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

So glad for you that all is well and that you are happy:D

Englishmum Jan 27th 2011 5:23 pm

Tell me about it. We've had 13" overnight here in New Jersey (approx 18 miles west of Manhatten). I'd already shovelled about 4 or 5 inches yesterday before the new snowstorm.

I went out to shovel at about 8.30am and have only stopped at 1pm to take a break.....I have yet to shovel the front path from the drive to the front doorstep (had to go out via the kitchen door and the garage).

My next door neighbour (a psychiatrist who wouldn't be seen dead doing any kind of manual work) pulled up in his car, smirked and said "oh, it's good to see someone from the British Empire flexing her muscles". I wanted to thump him - on hindsight I should have handed him my shovel and suggested that he get some excercise himself....:frown: Then the guy who lives directly opposite me (a banker) was going up and down his drive with his snowblower but no offer to help. Barstewards....:rolleyes: Unfortunately it's all Stepford Wife families in this neighbourhood and there isn't much neighbourliness and it's every man for himself :(

(My husband is of course.....resident in tropical Singapore! Wish I was there right now LOL!)

Here's a report of how the storm has affected the North East in the USA:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ast-Coast.html

http://millburn.patch.com/articles/s...ls?ncid=M254#c (my town - Short Hills, NJ)

Lorac05 Jan 27th 2011 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9133226)

Glad you made it home OK - hopefully hear journey was event free. I hear what you say in regards to the cups of tea :D

Get some rest and check in when you feel up to it!!!