British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

beachgal21 Jan 25th 2011 7:06 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9128180)
I didn't bleat about the Thatcher years - I just gave up and went to Canada :lol: Ironic that I'll be coming back to Cameron. :rolleyes:

beachgal, I didn't know you hadn't discussed it yet. I suppose there's always a chance he's just putting a brave face on things when he calls it paradise?

My husband had never considered returning home until I brought it up but he is coming round, although not completely there yet. Sometimes men take some time to process changes like this, so don't be too put off his first reaction is negative. He may change.

I dont think he's be completely opposed to leaving the US, I just dont think he wants to go back to the UK. I heard him say in conversation to someone over Xmas that if things didn't sort themselves out here soon, that he was seriously thinking of moving to Australia :unsure: It's kind of ironic really, because 11 years ago when I got divorced my thoughts were to move to Australia. Then I met my OH who had already been living in the US for 10 years, who completely swept me off my feet with sweet talk of palm trees, warm winters and fabulous sunsets (see I'm just a complete push over :rolleyes:). Now I come on here and talk to people like Bee who are returning from Oz and wonder if he's planning on taking me from the frying pan into the fire. As you can see things are a lit of a mess right now :banghead:

Bee I've been here just over 10 years now.

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 7:23 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9128299)
I dont think he's be completely opposed to leaving the US, I just dont think he wants to go back to the UK. I heard him say in conversation to someone over Xmas that if things didn't sort themselves out here soon, that he was seriously thinking of moving to Australia :unsure: It's kind of ironic really, because 11 years ago when I got divorced my thoughts were to move to Australia. Then I met my OH who had already been living in the US for 10 years, who completely swept me off my feet with sweet talk of palm trees, warm winters and fabulous sunsets (see I'm just a complete push over :rolleyes:). Now I come on here and talk to people like Bee who are returning from Oz and wonder if he's planning on taking me from the frying pan into the fire. As you can see things are a lit of a mess right now :banghead:

But then again you could love it here in Oz, lots do!! Check out The Barbie, you are getting a very skewed viewpoint on this part of the forum as we all want to go home......

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 7:28 pm

Sallysimmons We escaped Thatcher by coming here to Oz in 1981 when my ex's company was shut down and they were all made redundant. Mind you he did vote for her! :sneaky: Many a blazing row we had about that ha ha!! :lol: His mother was none too impressed either as she comes from a long line of coal miners.....

BTW how do you get UK TV in the USA if you are not using Expat Shield or another cloaker type thingie??

I know you like Come Dine with Me, I only got to watch bits of the Celebrity Janice Dickinson/Sam Fox/Callum Best/Jamie ??? episodes on youtube just recently as I had exceeded my ISP quota for the month and for the past week it has been like dial up on here. :(

I swear that Janice Dickinson one has a screw loose, she is a raving loony!! :lol:

I am off to watch it in full now, thanks to whoever gave the link to seesaw. :thumbsup:

beachgal21 Jan 25th 2011 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9128340)
But then again you could love it here in Oz, lots do!! Check out The Barbie, you are getting a very skewed viewpoint on this part of the forum as we all want to go home......

Thanks Bee I might take a saunter over and just see. This is going to sound really pathetic .... and I'll whisper so nobody else hears .... but what about all the poisonous spiders and snakes they have there. How do you cope with them? :o

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9128355)
Thanks Bee I might take a saunter over and just see. This is going to sound really pathetic .... and I'll whisper so nobody else hears .... but what about all the poisonous spiders and snakes they have there. How do you cope with them? :o

OK here's the deal, you want the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth???? scroll down.......
I have lived here for 30 years and have seen 2 snakes in all that time, quite a few spiders, but never any deadly ones, honestly you do become immune to them after a while, I recently had a Huntsman or two inside and they are ugly looking but pretty harmless HOWEVER I dont like spiders inside so I sprayed it to death. :unsure:

I have lived in suburbia though. I am sure you would see more if you lived in the bush.

I just did a google and see you have snakes and spiders in Florida too!! How many have you seen in 10 years, not counting zoos or animal parks? :p

Pollyana Jan 25th 2011 7:46 pm

Shhhhhhh.....but I've been here seven years :eek: not seen a snake except in a zoo. Couple of big huntsman spiders but they are OK cos they eat cockroaches :thumbup:
Its the dropbears you need to look out for... :sneaky:

Mummy in the foothills Jan 25th 2011 7:46 pm

Pssst, I think you have just as many in Florida, and roaches big enough to saddle up. I think calling them Palmetto bugs is just trying to fool people :D

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9128403)
Pssst, I think you have just as many in Florida, and roaches big enough to saddle up. I think calling them Palmetto bugs is just trying to fool people :D

I HATE cockroaches with a vengeance!!! They are disgusting vile, loathsome creatures, did I say I didn't like them LOL!!

Give me spiders and snakes any day............

EDIT

The flies here are disgusting too!! They are not like Pommy flies that buzz around the light bulb, these Aussie ones stick to you!! I talked about it last night on the original thread, there is a saying here of The Aussie Salute, as you are swatting your hand in front of your face to stop the little blighters landing on you. :sneaky:

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9128401)
Shhhhhhh.....but I've been here seven years :eek: not seen a snake except in a zoo. Couple of big huntsman spiders but they are OK cos they eat cockroaches :thumbup:
Its the dropbears you need to look out for... :sneaky:

You almost had me there, I was thinking WTH!! :rofl:

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9128403)

I just googled them and they look strangely familiar.......:unsure:

Beachgal you will feel right at home in Oz LOL!! :thumbsup:

GoldCoastMag Jan 25th 2011 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9128299)

Moving from Florida to Oz makes perfect sense to me!

Happy to balance Bee's outlook if it comes to a move, you are welcome to PM me

Queensland beautiful one day, perfect the next, from an advert epitomises it for me although others mmv

beachgal21 Jan 25th 2011 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag (Post 9128478)

Queensland beautiful one day, perfect the next, from an advert epitomises it for me although others mmv

Thank you for the offer of help, I may well take you up on it :)

How long have you been in Oz and where did you move from?

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag (Post 9128478)

That's exactly why I said to beachgal to go to The Barbie, as it is a different kettle of fish over there for most.

beachgal21 Jan 25th 2011 8:50 pm

Thanks guys for the the replies about the snakes and creepy crawlies, as you can see I've over-dosed on the Crocodile Hunter in the past, but I just hyate spiders and snakes :scaredhair:

I don't see many spiders here apart from the little jumping ones that are harmless. Roaches are a fact of life in Forida, but we spray the inside of the house on a regular basis so rarely see them inside. My OH tried to get me on the Palmetto Bug scam when I first moved here :rolleyes: Now snakes ... well actually I have seen several snakes. I once saw a rattle snake in a state park, watching it from a safe distance was pretty cool. I've also seen quite a few Black snakes and Rat snakes when we lived in north Florida, but we did live in the countryside there. Since moving to Madeira Beach a year ago I have seen 2 snakes. One squashed dead on the road and the other, a Black Racer was in our back yard. I was laying out on the sun lounger and happened to open my eyes, and there was the snake about a foot away from the end of the lounger looking at me. Fortunately they are totally harmless, but I don't know who moved faster, me or the snake :eek:

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9128527)
Thanks guys for the the replies about the snakes and creepy crawlies, as you can see I've over-dosed on the Crocodile Hunter in the past, but I just hyate spiders and snakes :scaredhair:

I don't see many spiders here apart from the little jumping ones that are harmless. Roaches are a fact of life in Forida, but we spray the inside of the house on a regular basis so rarely see them inside. My OH tried to get me on the Palmetto Bug scam when I first moved here :rolleyes: Now snakes ... well actually I have seen several snakes. I once saw a rattle snake in a state park, watching it from a safe distance was pretty cool. I've also seen quite a few Black snakes and Rat snakes when we lived in north Florida, but we did live in the countryside there. Since moving to Madeira Beach a year ago I have seen 2 snakes. One squashed dead on the road and the other, a Black Racer was in our back yard. I was laying out on the sun lounger and happened to open my eyes, and there was the snake about a foot away from the end of the lounger looking at me. Fortunately they are totally harmless, but I don't know who moved faster, me or the snake :eek:

See!!! You have seen more snakes than me and Polly!!!!!! :lol: