British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

islandwoman120 Apr 20th 2011 7:23 am

Re: Off-topic posts from over 50's/60's thread

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9315614)
Mummy.....I ripped the cover off the sponge and threw it away. When I go to the shops this weekend I will look for the name of it. Will save you alot of work.

I think this is called Magic Sponge, it is white in colour and has a heavy, strange feel with a smooth(ish) texture. can also get kids crayon marks off the wall (so can a piece of rolled up white bread!).

Pollyana Apr 20th 2011 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 9315424)
Hey, you can always contribute to my recent thread, I had a really bad craving today ..... :D:D

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=713910

I'll pick you one up in Asda later on :D

bandrui Apr 20th 2011 7:32 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9314301)
These are SO cute!! I wonder if they have them in the UK nowadays.

http://www.yurts.com/what/default.aspx

They have quite a few of these here on the island Tina. They are really great and can have all sorts of inner fittings like a woodstove, kitchen, etc. They amke a great second space but some people do live in them. I am pretty sure that you could have one delivered to anyplace.... for a price. ;)

sallysimmons Apr 20th 2011 11:23 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9315826)
I think this is called Magic Sponge, it is white in colour and has a heavy, strange feel with a smooth(ish) texture. can also get kids crayon marks off the wall (so can a piece of rolled up white bread!).

I use these too (ours are called Magic Erasers) and they're great for cleaning woodwork etc - but how do they help you clean a window without taking off the screen? Am I just being dim?

We have a real problem with our windows. Our house is perched on steep rock, so to get to the top floors on one side you need very tall ladders - taller than we are willing to climb. And apparently, there are no residential window cleaners in this area. I've looked for years and not found anyone. We've had the top windows cleaned each time someone paints the house but that's hardly regular enough!

Has anyone else in the US had a problem finding a window cleaner?

ldyinlv Apr 20th 2011 11:28 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9316126)
I use these too (ours are called Magic Erasers) and they're great for cleaning woodwork etc - but how do they help you clean a window without taking off the screen? Am I just being dim?

We have a real problem with our windows. Our house is perched on steep rock, so to get to the top floors on one side you need very tall ladders - taller than we are willing to climb. And apparently, there are no residential window cleaners in this area. I've looked for years and not found anyone. We've had the top windows cleaned each time someone paints the house but that's hardly regular enough!

Has anyone else in the US had a problem finding a window cleaner?

Its certainly not something you see over there like here in the UK. My Mom has a guy that comes every month and charges her 4 pounds to clean all of her windows. I couldnt believe how cheap it was..:)
Jackie

Pistolpete2 Apr 20th 2011 11:36 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9315338)
Okay, let this expat family get back to the subject of talking about their native land :)

Here's something to feast your eyes on (from the Daily Telegraph expat section)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/exp...f-Britain.html

sallysimmons Apr 20th 2011 11:36 am

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9316132)
Its certainly not something you see over there like here in the UK. My Mom has a guy that comes every month and charges her 4 pounds to clean all of her windows. I couldnt believe how cheap it was..:)
Jackie

I love how they just come like clockwork too and get started. I remember as a teenager, I would sleep in late and there were quite a few times I'd forget to shut the curtains and wake up to see the window cleaner right in front of me :eek:

windsong Apr 20th 2011 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9316141)

OMG! It's been ages since I have eaten a breakfast like that. That's the sort of breakfast I remember having when I visited Wells in Somerset about 12 years ago. Delicious!!

I'll try to overlook the fact that it's fried. :rofl::rofl:

between two worlds Apr 20th 2011 12:51 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/exp...n.html?image=2

Pete's link may have included it, so sorry if there's duplication, but look at top right of the page-- there is a whole photo gallery of many wonderful British gastronomic delights!

Tina

windsong Apr 20th 2011 1:05 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9315834)
They have quite a few of these here on the island Tina. They are really great and can have all sorts of inner fittings like a woodstove, kitchen, etc. They amke a great second space but some people do live in them. I am pretty sure that you could have one delivered to anyplace.... for a price. ;)

There are also such things as "tiny houses" :)

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

Pistolpete2 Apr 20th 2011 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9316258)
OMG! It's been ages since I have eaten a breakfast like that. That's the sort of breakfast I remember having when I visited Wells in Somerset about 12 years ago. Delicious!!

I'll try to overlook the fact that it's fried. :rofl::rofl:

When I think British B&B that's the breakfast I think of, though in points north you get black pudding as well, for extra artery clogging. You can get near that quality of breakfast at the Premier Inn at Gatwick North Terminal. For 22 pounds you get Dinner/a Pint or drink/and breakfast and kids eat free at breakfast.

Sue Apr 20th 2011 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9316141)

I'm drooling now, that looks so yummy.

windsong Apr 20th 2011 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9316343)
When I think British B&B that's the breakfast I think of, though in points north you get black pudding as well, for extra artery clogging. You can get near that quality of breakfast at the Premier Inn at Gatwick North Terminal. For 22 pounds you get Dinner/a Pint or drink/and breakfast and kids eat free at breakfast.

Exactly Peter - B&B style. And just to be in the dining room at breakfast time and to smell the wonderful British breakfasts being prepared - totally delightful!!

I was just looking at some of the "gastronomical delights" at the link you posted - Lancashire hot pot, etc. and, granted I am not much of a cook, but everything I cook here tastes the same and nothing like the dish would taste if cooked in Britain. My mother was a good cook and even with her USA-cooked British meals, the taste wasn't the same. I don't know if it is because, even though we use the same ingredients, they are different or what the problem could be.

I just know there's nothing like being in the UK and eating the dish the way it is supposed to taste.:)

Pistolpete2 Apr 20th 2011 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9316416)
Exactly Peter - B&B style. And just to be in the dining room at breakfast time and to smell the wonderful British breakfasts being prepared - totally delightful!!

I was just looking at some of the "gastronomical delights" at the link you posted - Lancashire hot pot, etc. and, granted I am not much of a cook, but everything I cook here tastes the same and nothing like the dish would taste if cooked in Britain. My mother was a good cook and even with her USA-cooked British meals, the taste wasn't the same. I don't know if it is because, even though we use the same ingredients, they are different or what the problem could be.

I just know there's nothing like being in the UK and eating the dish the way it is supposed to taste.:)

Have been staying at B&Bs when visiting the Uk for the last sixteen years from when my son left Bermuda to go to school there, accompanied by my ex.

Invariably the breakfast was the highlight of the stay. Some places had a full range of local grains and berries in season as well as the local bacon and sausage from specialty butchers. I don't seem to find the regional foods that Simon Majumdar is talking of in his book as typically when visiting pubs and food(gastro) pubs in particular you now get modern British food which might draw on some inspiration from the old traditional dishes but has also looked elsewhere. see below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...ritish_cuisine

The problem with this more serious approach to food in Britain is that it comes at increased cost and even pub main courses in the country can be typically 13 to 15 pounds and soups and desserts 5 pounds a throw.

This is made a mockery of by the fact that you can eat at some seriously acclaimed Michelin star restaurants in the UK (even in London) for lunch and pay 20 to 25 pounds for three courses. All of these restaurants have websites and one can check their prices and menu choices there for planning purposes. I have to admit this bargain hunting is always a part of my UK excursion and will continue to be so for as long as I can afford it.

Of course one's budget is helped where there are good weekday specials and sunday roast lunches for 6.95.

Britain became highly regarded by French chefs first when several British restaurant entrepreneurs (Robert Carrier, Margaret Costa & George Perry-Smith among them) started to look overseas for talent back in the early seventies and the French such as the Roux brothers, Raymond Blanc and then Pierre Koffmann who made the journey never regretted it. Now even the French in-the-know admit that London is the culinary capital of the world (for quality and sheer variety) as French standards have declined mostly due to poor French business conditions which for instance make it far more attractive for good French chefs to work in the UK. In Paris there is right now just a twinkle of a resurgence due to modern cooking/business styles and more modern attitudes.

Beedubya Apr 20th 2011 2:06 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

The weather here is absolulty superb at the moment. :D

Had to get my cardy off and my shades on!!! :thumbup: