British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Englishmum Jan 27th 2011 5:30 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9133226)
Well, i made it..:) Its cold, rainy, overcast...but great to be here. I have already had about 432 cups of tea,..:) its wonderful seeing my Mom and Dad, and everyone is well...I am a little jet lagged, but its good to be here finally. Will write more later..
Jackie..;):thumbsup:

YAY!!!! (did you spot the new thread in the green 'sticky' at the top of the Rovers Return page - "The Bon Voyage Thread"?) You were/are the first person on it....some of us were tracking your flight LOL! :lol:

Good to hear you arrived safely and hope you settle down quickly in England.

Sending you a big ((((hug)))) :thumbsup:

beachgal21 Jan 27th 2011 5:33 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Well, i made it..:) Its cold, rainy, overcast...but great to be here. I have already had about 432 cups of tea,..:) its wonderful seeing my Mom and Dad, and everyone is well...I am a little jet lagged, but its good to be here finally. Will write more later..

Congratulations Jackie :thumbup: I was thinking about you this morning and wondering how long it would be before we heard from you. Glad to heard your home safe and sound :)

sallysimmons Jan 27th 2011 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9133266)

I went out to shovel at about 8.30am and have only stopped at 1pm to take a break.....I have yet to shovel the front path from the drive to the front doorstep (had to go out via the kitchen door and the garage).

Oh poor you! We are really lucky as there is an enterprising pair of guys who show up every time it snows and dig us out. If it's not too bad, I do it myself for the exercise, but today I was only too happy to thrust some money at them and stay warm inside.

Ladyinlv so great to hear from you - you'll have to change your name now that you're not in LV!

beachgal21 Jan 27th 2011 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9133266)
Tell me about it. We've had 13" overnight here in New Jersey (approx 18 miles west of Manhatten). I'd already shovelled about 4 or 5 inches yesterday before the new snowstorm.

I went out to shovel at about 8.30am and have only stopped at 1pm to take a break.....I have yet to shovel the front path from the drive to the front doorstep (had to go out via the kitchen door and the garage).

My next door neighbour (a psychiatrist who wouldn't be seen dead doing any kind of manual work) pulled up in his car, smirked and said "oh, it's good to see someone from the British Empire flexing her muscles". I wanted to thump him - on hindsight I should have handed him my shovel and suggested that he get some excercise himself....:frown: Then the guy who lives directly opposite me (a banker) was going up and down his drive with his snowblower but no offer to help. Barstewards....:rolleyes: Unfortunately it's all Stepford Wife families in this neighbourhood and there isn't much neighbourliness and it's every man for himself :(

(My husband is of course.....resident in tropical Singapore! Wish I was there right now LOL!)

Well you could always tip a bucket of water on his snow free path, then watch him slip on his smug backside next time he comes out to admire your handywork :sneaky: :rofl:

Mummy in the foothills Jan 27th 2011 6:07 pm

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

charleygirl Jan 27th 2011 6:26 pm

great news jackie, I bet the weather is a shocker for you after LV!!!!
Looking forward to stories later.

Sentosa Jan 27th 2011 6:30 pm

Glad you made it home safely bet that tea taste's good. I hope to be following you soon.:thumbup:

islandwoman120 Jan 27th 2011 6:31 pm

Yeah! Our Jackie is safe and well and home at last!!! Hugs!

islandwoman120 Jan 27th 2011 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9133351)
Well you could always tip a bucket of water on his snow free path, then watch him slip on his smug backside next time he comes out to admire your handywork :sneaky: :rofl:

:D:D:D

Beedubya Jan 27th 2011 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 9132635)

Wow Mallory, thanks for that!! :thumbsup:

Beedubya Jan 27th 2011 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl (Post 9133068)
I agree, I guess its partly to do with getting older too:lol:I remember going on a school trip to Stratford on Avon and not being in the least bit interested in the beautiful old buildings, river, theatre etc. but just getting the attention of a good looking boy in the park:D

I agree. When you are younger you just take all that kind of stuff for granted don't you? All the history and the heritage and the stunning buildings and landscape.

Maybe you need to be away for some years to appreciate it more. I know I seem to appreciate the UK more than the rest of my family.

Most people in the UK seem to want to go "abroad" for a holiday for some sunshine, I will be happy having my holidays in the UK exploring all the places I have never been. :thumbsup:

Mind you my sister has already mentioned us going to Italy in late summer and I am up for that too. :D

Beedubya Jan 27th 2011 7:49 pm

Woohoo Jackie!! So good to hear from you on the flip side LOL!! :thumbsup:

432 cups of tea ha ha!! :lol:

SomersetGirl Jan 27th 2011 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9133583)
Mind you my sister has already mentioned us going to Italy in late summer and I am up for that too. :D

Oh, I'm with you. I'd definitely be up for Italy too:D

fulwood Jan 27th 2011 10:27 pm

is there anyway to save like specific emails? like the thread w/the newspaper links..

Sentosa Jan 27th 2011 10:29 pm

Sold the house today:thumbsup:can't believe it, looks like we will be home the first week in March. The people who bought the house said we can stay here untill the end of February to give us time to sort our move out, looks like a busy month.