British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

beachgal21 Jan 28th 2011 5:36 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Ok you'st gonna adore this :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQcVllWpwGs

fulwood Jan 28th 2011 6:59 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

celticspirit it would have been nice to have met you but sure the dog judging kept you busy..

Englishmum Jan 29th 2011 2:39 am

I had a very pleasant surprise today.

One of my friends is a financial director for a time-share organisation and from time to time can get the use of a time-share property at the last minute for a very low price or for free.

I was chatting with his wife this afternoon and she said that a one-bedroom time-share apartment became available in Midtown Manhatten (near Carnegie Hall/Fifth Ave/Central Park South) for one week beginning tomorrow (Saturday). There have probably been cancellations due to the bad recent weather.

They are going to use it tomorrow night, but as their kids are at school and he has to be at work in his New Jersey office, they offered me the use of the apartment (I will have to pay a $25 per day cleaning charge) to stay there during the week :thumbsup:

I only live 40 mins from NYC so I'm going to take them up on their offer....OK I'll be on my own (although I can meet up with a girlfriend who works in the city for dinner) but there will be plenty of things to do, even if we get yet another huge snowfall midweek. :)

What nice people they are (expat Aussies) so I said as a 'thank you' I'll look after their kids one weekend so they can go off for some quality time together.

Mummy in the foothills Jan 29th 2011 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9136867)

One of my friends is a financial director for a time-share organisation and from time to time can get the use of a time-share property at the last minute for a very low price or for free.

I was chatting with his wife this afternoon and she said that a one-bedroom time-share apartment became available in Midtown Manhatten (near Carnegie Hall/Fifth Ave/Central Park South) for one week beginning tomorrow (Saturday). There have probably been cancellations due to the bad recent weather.

They are going to use it tomorrow night, but as their kids are at school and he has to be at work in his New Jersey office, they offered me the use of the apartment (I will have to pay a $25 per day cleaning charge) to stay there during the week :thumbsup:

I only live 40 mins from NYC so I'm going to take them up on their offer....OK I'll be on my own (although I can meet up with a girlfriend who works in the city for dinner) but there will be plenty of things to do, even if we get yet another huge snowfall midweek. :)

What nice people they are (expat Aussies) so I said as a 'thank you' I'll look after their kids one weekend so they can go off for some quality time together.

What a wonderful offer, have a lovely time.

Beedubya Jan 29th 2011 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9136928)
What a wonderful offer, have a lovely time.

Seconded!! Enjoy!! :thumbsup:

beachgal21 Jan 29th 2011 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9136867)

Fabulous :D Do you have anything specific planned?

aviva Jan 29th 2011 6:13 pm

K, don't think I'm nuts, but have any of you considered taking a new US name when you get citizenship, and have both a UK and US name?
It's crossed my mind from time to time. Not to evade or misrepresent or that type of thing, just because I could. Then I consider what name I'd take.
Immigrants in US have very often changed their names, or had them changed for them, when becoming citizens. Just thought it might be fun but don't know if it would cause difficulties.

Sally Redux Jan 29th 2011 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9137921)
K, don't think I'm nuts, but have any of you considered taking a new US name when you get citizenship, and have both a UK and US name?
It's crossed my mind from time to time. Not to evade or misrepresent or that type of thing, just because I could. Then I consider what name I'd take.
Immigrants in US have very often changed their names, or had them changed for them, when becoming citizens. Just thought it might be fun but don't know if it would cause difficulties.

A Chinese woman who works with my husband has taken a 'US' name, it recently caused a problem when she went to take an examination and they wouldn't let her in.

beachgal21 Jan 29th 2011 6:49 pm

I'm not sure I know what you mean about immigrants having their names changed for them?

My last name is Brookes and so I wouldn't bother changing my name. But I can see why some immigrants might want to change, especially if their name was particularly difficult to pronounce or spell.

aviva Jan 29th 2011 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9137956)
I'm not sure I know what you mean about immigrants having their names changed for them?

My last name is Brookes and so I wouldn't bother changing my name. But I can see why some immigrants might want to change, especially if their name was particularly difficult to pronounce or spell.

Well back in the day..........many decades ago.......when the immigration guys processing people who came over in boats couldn't pronounce the names, they would just arbitrarily record it as something that they could pronounce.

beachgal21 Jan 29th 2011 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9137983)
Well back in the day..........many decades ago.......when the immigration guys processing people who came over in boats couldn't pronounce the names, they would just arbitrarily record it as something that they could pronounce.

Wow ... I never knew that. It's no wonder when the relatives of those immigrants came over they couldn't find each other.

Mummy in the foothills Jan 29th 2011 8:01 pm

Dh changed his last name when he became a USC he was born with one surname, but when they moved to US he used his stepfathers last name for school so when he did his citizenship he had it made legal. Now his UK birth certificate and passport say one name and his US passport says another :lol: I think we'll have to get his UK name changed by Deed poll once we are back.

Dazed Mostly Jan 29th 2011 8:48 pm

Long time ago I was married (then divorced) to a guy (dead for years) who had changed his name. He was not affiliated with any religion, just flight of fancy, wanted to be different. So I never got around to changing the name...lazy.
After 9-11, I mean within days, I started to get tons of donation requests from Muslim organizations. What? It was right when there was a big anthrax through the mail scare. I was scared to death. Tossed them in the outside trash with gloves on - never opened one after the first one.
So I was on a list. Whose? What were they really soliciting?
I went to Social Security and dropped the name. I go by my first and middle birth names only.

beachgal21 Jan 29th 2011 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9138052)
Dh changed his last name when he became a USC he was born with one surname, but when they moved to US he used his stepfathers last name for school so when he did his citizenship he had it made legal. Now his UK birth certificate and passport say one name and his US passport says another :lol: I think we'll have to get his UK name changed by Deed poll once we are back.

Why did he change his name?

Mummy in the foothills Jan 29th 2011 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9138137)
Why did he change his name?

To make his mother happy I think, plus it was easier for him to carry one using that name seeing it was on his work certificates, High school graduation certificate, Social security card etc etc.
But now with us marrying under that name and having kids it makes it harder in some ways, as the UK know him by another name, so it'll have to be changed. I preferred his old name.