British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

bandrui Feb 25th 2012 4:20 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Catching up on 4 pages of posts... you folks have been busy.

I just got back from Victoria today. My thumb wouldn't extend when I woke up on Wednesday morning so i went to emergency and they took the cast off my arm. Apparently my broken radius had sawn through my EPL tendon. I hear it's a textbook case. :blink: The on-call referring doctor for this was one of Victoria's top plastic surgeons and he operated on it yesterday at Royal Jubilee hospital in Vic.

Too sick from the GA to come back yesterday so stayed with my friend. Am definitely one-armed now. I'm a person who never goes to doctors, never had surgery before so it was a bit overwhelming. Thank goodness it's over now. Won't be able to do much for a couple of months but my doc is putting me on physical disability. Oh well, I learnt that my blood pressure is really good.

Glad i'm not in US. I'd be setting up a tent by now :blink:. Didn't cost a penny and they gave me ferry passes.

Cheers, try blueberries or blackberries with your yoghurt. All the dark berries are super high in anti-oxidants.

Do you watch Dr Oz? I really like the way he integrates alternative medicine and allopathic. He has some really good advice IMHO.

cheers Feb 26th 2012 4:33 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9921232)

Cheers, try blueberries or blackberries with your yoghurt. All the dark berries are super high in anti-oxidants.

SWMBO says they are too expensive and since we are poor I didn't buy any.;)
Maybe next month. I use to pick them off the bushes when I lived in England.

jasper123 Feb 26th 2012 10:16 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9921006)
I know why you aren't fat!:D

Cheers my Ideal weight for a short ass 5ft 8in man is 165 pounds, when I left the good old U.S. of A I was the same weight as you are now 185 pounds
mostly I think cause of too many freaking buffets :)
Now Im back in England for 15 months already and counting ----- Alas I havent lost anything :eek: :eek: :eek: and honestly I eat quite healthy, well yes I do like my chocolate cake and my triple chocolate muffins and ice cream and apple pie and custard Hmmmmemmmm :) so well yeah I guess Im not trying too hard to loose ----- but I do do a lot of walking,
Oh well one day I may get back to my normal weight :o
But cheers if your the same weight as me ----- and your 6ft tall then I dont think you can hardly call yourself overweight, ----- sounds just about right to me ;)

jasper123 Feb 26th 2012 10:30 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9921822)
SWMBO says they are too expensive and since we are poor I didn't buy any.;)
Maybe next month. I use to pick them off the bushes when I lived in England.

cheers when I was in U.S. I bought blueberries all the time, anyway since I read that they are so good for my skin complaint, there like a silver bullet for eczema or psoriasis sufferes,
So over here in UK I discovered right away that quite a few stores sell them here fresh, co-op does and so does asda and a few others, but they aint cheap, regular price for a carton is £4 but they always seem to be on sale for half price --- £2 so I buy two cartons a week and have them on my cereal in morning, they are also great in pancakes :)

cheers Feb 26th 2012 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9922289)
Cheers my Ideal weight for a short ass 5ft 8in man is 165 pounds, when I left the good old U.S. of A I was the same weight as you are now 185 pounds
mostly I think cause of too many freaking buffets :)
Now Im back in England for 15 months already and counting ----- Alas I havent lost anything :eek: :eek: :eek: and honestly I eat quite healthy, well yes I do like my chocolate cake and my triple chocolate muffins and ice cream and apple pie and custard Hmmmmemmmm :) so well yeah I guess Im not trying too hard to loose ----- but I do do a lot of walking,
Oh well one day I may get back to my normal weight :o
But cheers if your the same weight as me ----- and your 6ft tall then I dont think you can hardly call yourself overweight, ----- sounds just about right to me ;)

In the UK I think they say I have a "corporation". I don't how that term originated?
I looked at the photo of you and Don and you both look a normal size to me.
We do our monthly shop on Saturday, the 3rd, so we will spring for some berries.
Where do you typically walk to?
Your mom doesn't put many miles on the "motor" so does she ever take the bus?
As you remember in west we seem to use garages and as Don pointed out they don't use them very much in the U.K. He explained why. So does your mom have a garage?
Cheers Mate

cheers Feb 26th 2012 4:04 pm

What do you think of the Oscars?
The Brits didn't seem to do too good this year but the French did well with the "Artist"
I forget the other film and which country made it. I think it was called "Hugo".
Dw thinks "Warhorse" should have got something but I didn't think IMO it was Oscar material.
I would like to see Ironlady.

jasper123 Feb 26th 2012 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9922600)
In the UK I think they say I have a "corporation". I don't how that term originated?
I looked at the photo of you and Don and you both look a normal size to me.
We do our monthly shop on Saturday, the 3rd, so we will spring for some berries.
Where do you typically walk to?
Your mom doesn't put many miles on the "motor" so does she ever take the bus?
As you remember in west we seem to use garages and as Don pointed out they don't use them very much in the U.K. He explained why. So does your mom have a garage?
Cheers Mate

Well hello cheers, I dont look overweight and I dont feel overweight but I do like many men my age have a little 6 pack belly,
I think Im just big boned as they say :)
Some houses have garages over here, the bigger houses and single story bungalows in the country areas mostly have either a nice big area in front of there house or a garage, where I live and in most terraced houses if they have a garage its around the back of the house, but sometimes in the front,
Mum used to have a garage around the baCK but years ago they had it taken down to make the garden longer,
what I notice over here is a lot of people even if they do have a garage the dont really use it for there car? ------ so most people tend to park there car on the street ------ hence the picture of a regular side street or what we call surface streets in America is for starters not so wide as in US like quite narrow in fact, so with every terraced house having at least one car parked outside there house on the ROAD, so you see a narrow street with a long line of cars parked on each side of the road, and so just enough room for a small car driving one way down the street, if you meet another car coming the other way one of you has to try and get in to the side somewhere in between a couple of parked cars, or if thats not possible you often have to reverse clear back to the next street behind you and turn a little around the corner to allow the other car to pass, its rather like russian roulette where you kind of dont know what to do --- like is he going to move so I can get by or do I have to, its crazy :eek::eek: but what can you do?
I could NEVER drive on these roads, and NEVER want to, ---- and all the multitude of roundabouts is another thing AGHHH :confused: :thumbdown:

So as for walking cheers all I really do is walk the the high street to do the shopping about 10 minutes walk there and same back, or other times I take the bus to the fresh food open air market in town, about 15 minutes on the bus, ----- Mum dont drive many miles cause she is old but the average younger people put a good 10,000 miles per year on the clock I think.

cheers Feb 27th 2012 4:27 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9923107)
Well hello cheers, I dont look overweight and I dont feel overweight but I do like many men my age have a little 6 pack belly,
I think Im just big boned as they say :)
Some houses have garages over here, the bigger houses and single story bungalows in the country areas mostly have either a nice big area in front of there house or a garage, where I live and in most terraced houses if they have a garage its around the back of the house, but sometimes in the front,
Mum used to have a garage around the baCK but years ago they had it taken down to make the garden longer,
what I notice over here is a lot of people even if they do have a garage the dont really use it for there car? ------ so most people tend to park there car on the street ------ hence the picture of a regular side street or what we call surface streets in America is for starters not so wide as in US like quite narrow in fact, so with every terraced house having at least one car parked outside there house on the ROAD, so you see a narrow street with a long line of cars parked on each side of the road, and so just enough room for a small car driving one way down the street, if you meet another car coming the other way one of you has to try and get in to the side somewhere in between a couple of parked cars, or if thats not possible you often have to reverse clear back to the next street behind you and turn a little around the corner to allow the other car to pass, its rather like russian roulette where you kind of dont know what to do --- like is he going to move so I can get by or do I have to, its crazy :eek::eek: but what can you do?
I could NEVER drive on these roads, and NEVER want to, ---- and all the multitude of roundabouts is another thing AGHHH :confused: :thumbdown:

So as for walking cheers all I really do is walk the the high street to do the shopping about 10 minutes walk there and same back, or other times I take the bus to the fresh food open air market in town, about 15 minutes on the bus, ----- Mum dont drive many miles cause she is old but the average younger people put a good 10,000 miles per year on the clock I think.

So I think you could save time in England if a person brought back a Humvee or Hummer so there is no question of who has to give way:D
Do you take your own shopping bag when you go downtown or do you use a plastic one from the shop. I know this is a point of concern over there about banning plastics.
Your comment on not driving makes me think of all that people miss by driving. You are so fortunate to live in place were there are buses.

Ok I'm off to Las Vegas tomora to take me wife to the dentist. It takes about 2 hours to get there.:unsure:

mikelincs Feb 27th 2012 5:32 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9923479)
So I think you could save time in England if a person brought back a Humvee or Hummer so there is no question of who has to give way:D
Do you take your own shopping bag when you go downtown or do you use a plastic one from the shop. I know this is a point of concern over there about banning plastics.
Your comment on not driving makes me think of all that people miss by driving. You are so fortunate to live in place were there are buses.

Ok I'm off to Las Vegas tomora to take me wife to the dentist. It takes about 2 hours to get there.:unsure:

We're in the same position regarding transport, live near enough to the shops to walk, and we have an excellent bus service to places like Bournemouth and Christchurch and a large shopping mall. We always use out own bags, not plastic ones.

Beedubya Feb 27th 2012 6:55 am

Not as good or as nice as our Heathrow favourite T-mobile ad, but not bad at all after too MANY years of Aussie adverts. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-EvvfMXEwU

bandrui Feb 27th 2012 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9923797)
Not as good or as nice as our Heathrow favourite T-mobile ad, but not bad at all after too MANY years of Aussie adverts. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-EvvfMXEwU

:lol: Love that, Bee .

jasper123 Feb 27th 2012 11:04 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9923479)

cheers not only do we have buses that are reliable and frequent ----- we have 4 railway stations in Portsmouth, try finding a railway station in Vegas, and there bus service is crap!!!!!
as for shopping, all the big stores are a 10 minute walk from my house, in the high street, the open market is open thursday friday and saturday which is a 15 minute bus ride from my home,
cheers I know people have asked you why you travel hundreds of miles to take your wife to the doctor, I think you said one of them saved her life, well thats a pretty good reason,
But what gives with the dentist? dont you have any good dentists that you could find in Texas? or is it just that you kind of kill two birds at same time and visit your dentist and also your kids too who live there in Vegas?

No shopping bags, I take the wheeley trolly from home to the stores, and I just pack all the groceries in the big canvas bag, and I just pull it home, easy, I also use the wheely trolly to take all the empty bottles down a couple of streets away to the nearest glass recycle bins, takes 5 min walk there and same back, we have to recycle everything here, you get used to it and just get used to the laws of the land.

cheers Feb 27th 2012 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9924265)
But what gives with the dentist? dont you have any good dentists that you could find in Texas? or is it just that you kind of kill two birds at same time and visit your dentist and also your kids too who live there in Vegas?

Texas? I've never been there in my life! Try Utah.
My wife tells me her dentist is very good. What can I say? She had him as a dentist when we lived in LV and other members of the extended family are patients of his.
Cheers

Beedubya Feb 27th 2012 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9923977)
:lol: Love that, Bee .

I LOVE the way at the end it keeps saying BONKERS, I think that applies to all of us on this thread for moving around the planet as we all have. :lol:

jasper123 Feb 27th 2012 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9924414)
Texas? I've never been there in my life! Try Utah.
My wife tells me her dentist is very good. What can I say? She had him as a dentist when we lived in LV and other members of the extended family are patients of his.
Cheers

Oppppppps I thought you lived in Texas cheers, Ahhhhh Utah now I understand, Ive only been to Utah once, never forget it, it was when I was living in Reno, it was early 80's me and a couple of friends drove down to Salt Lake in there car, an old banger it was, anyway we went there for his Sons wedding, always remember that I wasn't allowed in the church or Mosque because I was not a Mormon :eek: Hmmmm:confused:
Anyway on the way back in the old banger we broke down between half way between Salt lake city and Reno, it was a very dark and lonely stretch of the highway, hardly any traffic cause it was late at night,
They decided to ditch the car and so we just stayed there by the car and as soon as a car passed by every half hour or so we tried to thumb a lift, anyway about 2 hours passed and suddenly a big Semi Trailer stopped and took us three guys into Reno, luckily that was his destination :)