British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Apr 29th 2011 6:07 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Midnight here and I have been watching the build up on Fox who are relaying British Sky TV. Very exciting! Been watching for 2 hours at this point. I hope I can stick with it.

I'm actually jumping between BBC News Channel on the net and Sky on TV and I feel really lucky to watch everything.

If you are up check out Fox TV for coverage.

bandrui Apr 29th 2011 6:13 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9332958)
Midnight here and I have been watching the build up on Fox who are relaying British Sky TV. Very exciting! Been watching for 2 hours at this point. I hope I can stick with it.

I'm actually jumping between BBC News Channel on the net and Sky on TV and I feel really lucky to watch everything.

If you are up check out Fox TV for coverage.

It's 11pm here and I too am watching TV coverage. I plan to stay up all night to watch. I'd better put the kettle on!

Beedubya Apr 29th 2011 6:48 am

Are you guys getting the coverage of all the parties in the different parks and the fun of people arriving in the train stations to London all dressed up and waving flags or just the more serious news coverage?

bandrui Apr 29th 2011 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9333005)
Are you guys getting the coverage of all the parties in the different parks and the fun of people arriving in the train stations to London all dressed up and waving flags or just the more serious news coverage?

No. :thumbdown: But lots of good stuff. Apparently the chairs in Westminster Abbey that the Royal Family et al will be sitting on were donated by Canada on July 1 1949 in honour of those fallen in the war.
On the foot of the Tv screen they are streaming messages from Canadians as part of an online guest book.
I'm flipping between CBC and BBC World.
Just heard that they will become the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

The route: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13155517

Beedubya Apr 29th 2011 7:10 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9333019)
No. :thumbdown: But lots of good stuff. Apparently the chairs in Westminster Abbey that the Royal Family et al will be sitting on were donated by Canada on July 1 1949 in honour of those fallen in the war.
On the foot of the Tv screen they are streaming messages from Canadians as part of an online guest book.
I'm flipping between CBC and BBC World.
Just heard that they will become the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Yes I just heard that too, have you tried getting it online, I am sure I saw somewhere there was live coverage on BBC online!!

YES it is I just checked with the television and the computer - BOTH EXACTLY THE SAME - go Linda!!!

Beedubya Apr 29th 2011 7:14 am

Just heard too that the dress MOST PROBABLY has come from the house of Alexander McQueen.

bandrui Apr 29th 2011 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9333035)
Just heard too that the dress MOST PROBABLY has come from the house of Alexander McQueen.

Yes, that's Sarah Burton (designer).

We are getting live BBC coverage on BBC World (TV).

Beedubya Apr 29th 2011 7:35 am

Oooh lovely Linda, so glad you are getting it live, I am watching ITV AND BBC just flicking and am just loving the trees in Westminster Abbey as the first guests are shown in.

Just think they have to sit there for the next 2 and a half hours, let's hope the seats are comfy LOL!! :eek:

dontheturner Apr 29th 2011 7:35 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9332936)
Have you heard about this EU ban on herbal medicine? This has been in the works for some time and is something we need to be very concerned about.
http://www.anh-europe.org/campaigns/codex
Britain has a deep history in herbal medicinals and natural remedies. It would be a real travesty to see this outlawed.

This law was passed about 6 months ago, and was reported on line.

The reason, is because many herbal remedies, have never been tested for dangerous elements. Any producer, (Like Heath & Heather) can apply for their products, to be tested, and lots have done so. The original fear that many herbalists would close down, appears to be unfounded. Don

bandrui Apr 29th 2011 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9333056)
Oooh lovely Linda, so glad you are getting it live, I am watching ITV and am just loving the trees in Westminster Abbey as the first guests are shown in.

Just think they have to sit there for the next 2 and a half hours, let's hope the seats are comfy LOL!! :eek:

I was thinking the same thing. Hope they have a book to read!

Love the hats. I have a thing about hats.

cheers Apr 29th 2011 8:29 am

A few minutes ago they caught Prince Harrys South African girl fiend entering the Abbey and the commentator said she was the Paris Hilton of the UK? What a slam! IMO.
I just lost BBC. I hope I can bring it back.
DW called from the TV room that CNN had good cameras.
Barbara, I wish I could have seen the pictures of the parties and train stations.
They identified Beckham arriving.

Beedubya Apr 29th 2011 8:49 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9333109)
A few minutes ago they caught Prince Harrys South African girl fiend entering the Abbey and the commentator said she was the Paris Hilton of the UK? What a slam! IMO.
I just lost BBC. I hope I can bring it back.
DW called from the TV room that CNN had good cameras.
Barbara, I wish I could have seen the pictures of the parties and train stations.
They identified Beckham arriving.

You need to get Expat Shield up and running Cheers.

Elton John and David Furnish just arrived, pop royalty along with The Beckhams footie royalty. :thumbsup:

I just heard George Michael :wub: has a song especially written for the couple, available for download as a gift........must check that out!!!

between two worlds Apr 29th 2011 8:55 am

One hour to go, I am glued to BBC World here in France..very exciting!

Tina

Beedubya Apr 29th 2011 9:00 am

Guy Ritchie and girlfriend just arrived, I bet Madonna is kicking herself. :lol:

Just found out that the George Michael song is a Stevie Wonder :wub::wub::wub: number and was announced a week ago :zzz: I will look for it later.

http://www.georgemichael.com/gift/

I wasn't really bothered about the Royal Wedding before now but have become quite caught up in the whole thing today, I wish now I had taken the train to London for the day to join in with the feel good crowd.

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 29th 2011 10:44 am

We are watching CNN with Piers Morgan, Anderson Cooper and Richard Quest, excellent coverage and knowledge...

First Class, just love this, it pulls on my heart strings...