British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers May 2nd 2011 1:46 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9337076)
I want mustard and cress and also watercress. I'll even take it with egg salad sandwiches. I'm off chickens and eggs right now so that would be a sacrifice.

OK help me out here, what do they call that in the US? I'm referring to the watercress and M&C.

OK I think they call them sprouts, unless that is something different.

Englishman43 May 2nd 2011 2:18 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9337092)
Anyone know were Kate has worked for the past few years. I read that she hasnt had a job is that true.

I thought she'd worked in the family biz ??

chriswinter May 2nd 2011 3:06 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9337092)
Anyone know were Kate has worked for the past few years. I read that she hasnt had a job is that true.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/25/ka...time-princess/

Fish n Chips 56 May 2nd 2011 3:17 am

It looks like Bin laden is dead, Im not sure this will be an end to Violence as some predict, others may rise to the top.

Mummy in the foothills May 2nd 2011 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9337235)
It looks like Bin laden is dead, Im not sure this will be an end to Violence as some predict, others may rise to the top.

I think it'll now all explode. A whole lot of pissed off radical Muslims will now turn him into a martyr. :(

Fish n Chips 56 May 2nd 2011 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9337273)
I think it'll now all explode. A whole lot of pissed off radical Muslims will now turn him into a martyr. :(

Oh Yes Pauline, we never know what they may do.

Has anyone ever considered PEACE?

I wish people would keep to themselves and not push ideas or beliefs on others, it would make for a Wonderful World.

Mummy in the foothills May 2nd 2011 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9337284)

I wish people would keep to themselves and not push ideas or beliefs on others, it would make for a Wonderful World.

You and me both.

between two worlds May 2nd 2011 5:30 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9336913)
Is this what most people do in the UK rather than having a cell phone contract?

No, I believe it makes more sense to have a contract if you are there full-time and have a fixed address. And then of course you can get the internet as well instead of using a dongle or whatever.

Tina

between two worlds May 2nd 2011 5:32 am

Originally Posted by chriswinter (Post 9337046)
One of my Aussie FB friends just wrote that the sale of cucumbers went up 50% on Friday in England. I'm assuming for a lovely cucumber & butter sandwich? I had to laugh when I read that by my Aussie friend...as I actually ate a scrumptious cuke & butter sandwich Friday evening and didn't even think about anything else while making it.
Though I have to say...as a kid attending school in America...being sent with cuke & butter sandwiches for lunch (I loved them, still do)...was sometimes a bit off-putting, because when most kids saw what I was eating, they would pull foul faces and ask me how could I eat that? :(
Anyone else here a cuke & (real) butter sandwich eater?? :D

Chris

YES! delicious. haven't had one for ages..mmmm. The cucumber must be European "burpless" kind though.

Tina

between two worlds May 2nd 2011 5:34 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9337136)
OK I think they call them sprouts, unless that is something different.

Yes, sprouts is very different--bean sprouts etc.

In USA you can find watercress. Bigger leaves than the delicate little mustard and cress we know from UK. I haven't seen mustard and cress in USA. Lovely in a sandwich with egg...often my choice if i am buying a readymade sandwich in uk.

Tina

bandrui May 2nd 2011 6:01 am

Originally Posted by chriswinter (Post 9336258)
Bee...I had seen on Facebook some of my 'friends'..using the word 'fascinator' and had no idea what they were going on about and just thought they were trying to be their American so-called clever (??) selves. So here I am still learning about new fashions and new words! :o

And Bee...Tally Ho! on the M56....look out England here she comes!! :lol:
You'll do fine...I'm sure of it. :thumbsup:

Chris

I did a felt millinery course last year and we made fascinators. It was lots of fun.

Can't wait to hear how Bee did. I am watching with great interest because I am going to have to do all these things too. I shall be fine on the motorway and am afraid of going the wrong way on an entrance/exit. :eek:

Beedubya May 2nd 2011 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9337284)

We can only pray and hope for world peace Fish. :rolleyes::fingerscrossed:

Beedubya May 2nd 2011 6:06 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9337418)
I did a felt millinery course last year and we made fascinators. It was lots of fun.

Can't wait to hear how Bee did. I am watching with great interest because I am going to have to do all these things too. I shall be fine on the motorway and am afraid of going the wrong way on an entrance/exit. :eek:

I actually did very well, she says surprisingly!! I was never scared of driving on the actual motorway, it was the exiting as there are WAY MORE roundabouts over here than Australia. I did have one little blip where I was in the wrong lane but not too bad considering, mind you this was a Sunday and was fairly busy so I'm not sure how I will fare on a weekday. :eek:

I must say I am very pleased with the Satnav it did a good job and got me straight to my destination even though I thought at times WTH am I going here, it did the right thing by me. :thumbsup:

bandrui May 2nd 2011 6:38 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9337109)
I just saw a picture of her dad riding on a lawnmower today after he had just got back from London. He couldn't stand to see long grass I suppose or maybe it is therapy for him.

Cheers

It's for the helicopter landing. :rofl:

Yesterday I read all the UK dailys on line and gleaned all I could about the evening party... quite a lot actually. Michael Middleton in his speech said he knew Will was serious about Kate when he landed his helicopter in the back garden. Apparently cracked everyone up. Harry had Chelsy vet his speech over the phone. he cut out remarks about Kate's great legs but apparently made fun of Will and Kate on the phone... "Billy"... "Baby". But apparently he almost made Will cry when he said that their Mum would be really proud of him.
They had fireworks at 2:30am and then the hardcore partyers (Harry, Eugenie, Beatrice, Chelsy and more went over to the Goring Hotel to continue partying.

bandrui May 2nd 2011 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Englishman43 (Post 9337178)
I thought she'd worked in the family biz ??

She was working in a clothing store when she and Will broke up. Apparently she went in the back and the talk was very emotional. Her Mum Carole told her to not give up and fight for him. Well that seems to have worked out well.
I am just full of Royal trivia at the moment. :lol: