British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

between two worlds Apr 29th 2011 11:52 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
"Jerusalem".....where's my hanky?!
wonderful.

Beedubya Apr 29th 2011 1:14 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 9333222)
"Jerusalem".....where's my hanky?!
wonderful.


Oh wow that was just so moving!! I am so very proud to be British today, can't say as I am a Royalist as such, but I just love the pomp and ceremony and the history. Every monarch bar two have been crowned in Westminster Abbey since 1066 (according to the commentary). Astounding!!

between two worlds Apr 29th 2011 1:23 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9333295)
Oh wow that was just so moving!! I am so very proud to be British today, can't say as I am a Royalist as such, but I just love the pomp and ceremony and the history. Every monarch bar two have been crowned in Westminster Abbey since 1066 (according to the commentary). Astounding!!

yes, very moving and perhaps more than anything, the many many positive comments by people in the crowd of all ages who just love the whole thing. A great atmosphere, it has really brought people together...
A lovely day of Englishness...

and the sun even came out for a glimmer as they rode back in the landau.

cheers Apr 29th 2011 1:53 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
My comments

I noticed Prince Charles as he entered the Abbey wiped his nose with his hand then went to shake hands with the clergy who was welcoming them. Typical.:ohmy:

They have casually mentioned the cost of this wedding then I got to thinking about just how much a typical movie costs to make. Interesting, what?

This day shows a different side of Britain and their people than is usually shown on TV.

I loved the whole event partly because like so many other people have said I'm a royalist.

Cheers

Derrygal Apr 29th 2011 2:40 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
It was an absolutely beautiful wedding!! I ended up getting the day off work. I loved her dress - loved everything!! I sat on my sofa with my tea and scones and a box of Kleenex!!!! I kept thinking of Princess Diana and how proud she would be of her sons. Oh how I wish I had been back in the UK to join in all the excitement, street parties, etc. Oh well, got to make the best of what I have here - I am going over to my daughter's house this afternoon and will watch it all over again with my daughter and little grand-daughter when she comes home from kindergarten. Very proud to be British!! :)

trottytrue Apr 29th 2011 4:35 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
What a lovely day. From start to finish it went beautifully. The dress was perfect and Prince William and Harry were really sweet. What a threesome. I thought that Prince Harry's ex-girlfriend looked a bit tatty. Especially her hair. Looked like she just put a lan elastic band around her hair and stuck a saucer on her head. Prince Andrews daughters looked silly in those hats. Dont know who dressed them but they need a new designer. David Beckham's wife looked like a sour lemon. Would it hurt her to break into a smile once in a while. I saw her attempt to smile but she never quite made it.
I got all choked up when they sang Jerusalem. Makes you feel so proud to be British. My husbands favourite part was the fly past.:)

I just kept thinking of all the History connected to Westminster Abbey and the Royal Family. Would love to have been home to be involved in the whole thing. My family in the UK had a get together with sandwiches and cakes and off course tea.

I watched it on Fox which had Sky and BBC America. I missed Richard Dimbleby. He was a great commentator.

Well back down to earth and got to go do some garden work.:frown:

between two worlds Apr 29th 2011 4:48 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9333525)
What a lovely day. From start to finish it went beautifully. The dress was perfect and Prince William and Harry were really sweet. What a threesome. I thought that Prince Harry's ex-girlfriend looked a bit tatty. Especially her hair. Looked like she just put a lan elastic band around her hair and stuck a saucer on her head. Prince Andrews daughters looked silly in those hats. Dont know who dressed them but they need a new designer. David Beckham's wife looked like a sour lemon. Would it hurt her to break into a smile once in a while. I saw her attempt to smile but she never quite made it.
I got all choked up when they sang Jerusalem. Makes you feel so proud to be British. My husbands favourite part was the fly past.:)

I just kept thinking of all the History connected to Westminster Abbey and the Royal Family. Would love to have been home to be involved in the whole thing. My family in the UK had a get together with sandwiches and cakes and off course tea.

I watched it on Fox which had Sky and BBC America. I missed Richard Dimbleby. He was a great commentator.

Well back down to earth and got to go do some garden work.:frown:

Yes it was gorgeous. The dress was very elegant and classic, yet natural. Both Princes seemed relaxed yet had just enough dignity (even that mischevious-looking Harry!) No flubbing of the words, lovely music....I agree about Princesses Eugenie's and Beatrice's hats, daft, and also think Victoria Beckham could smile now and then--she is famous for never doing so, I believe.
Huw Edwards did excellent commentary on BBC.
I too love the history, it is so much a part of what England--Britain-- is. Also I had been thinking it might be time for the church of England to become disestablished, ie not the State church, but after today I am not sure...the service was so beautiful and the words of the old Prayer Book so resonant.

Yes, it all made one proud, and so glad that this is all part of one's heritage.

Tina

sallysimmons Apr 29th 2011 5:02 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
I saw Victoria Beckham on American Idol last year when she appeared as a guest judge one week. She really surprised me. She was funny and warm and sweet. Not at all how she looks at these events. Maybe she's just miserable to be married to a serial cheater with not much up top :lol:

cheers Apr 29th 2011 5:03 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
I echo the past posts.
Luvly service, music, lessons.
Ditto on a few personalities.
Now see here we have a problem with our 'arry. He has lost his anchor. Things will never be the same between 'im and is brotha'. Now all things could correct themselves if he took a fancy to Princess Catherine's sisters and married 'em.
Just sayin'
Cheers and all.

Mummy in the foothills Apr 29th 2011 6:08 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
I have thoroughly enjoyed it all. I had to be up early for Ds to leave at 6.30am for a swim meet. So I got the hankey and watched with dd before Kindergarten started. She was very impressed, asked it was real or a movie :lol: once she knew it's real she wanted to know if Price Harry was already married :lol: I think she's putting herself on the list, she'll be 18 in 2023 Not sure he'll wait that long for a wife.

Beedubya Apr 29th 2011 6:13 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9333570)
I echo the past posts.
Luvly service, music, lessons.
Ditto on a few personalities.
Now see here we have a problem with our 'arry. He has lost his anchor. Things will never be the same between 'im and is brotha'. Now all things could correct themselves if he took a fancy to Princess Catherine's sisters and married 'em.
Just sayin'
Cheers and all.

I think Prince Philip was making a move on her sister LOL!! :lol:

Then my mum went into a big monologue of how they used to fancy PP in the day but he's always had an eye for the ladies, but HM chose to ignore it as they do LOL!! :rolleyes:

dunroving Apr 29th 2011 6:24 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9333570)
I echo the past posts.
Luvly service, music, lessons.
Ditto on a few personalities.
Now see here we have a problem with our 'arry. He has lost his anchor. Things will never be the same between 'im and is brotha'. Now all things could correct themselves if he took a fancy to Princess Catherine's sisters and married 'em.Just sayin'
Cheers and all.

I think polygamy is illegal in the UK, even for the Royals. Now incest is a different thing - cousins, nephews, nieces, they've married them all (which I think explains why some of them are a bit crazy - maybe that explains the silly hats).

... and it's Katherine, with a K. Mind you don't get sent to the Tower.

But yes, the whole day was really quite touching and heartening. I think Princess Di can take a lot of credit for this generation of Royals being quite normal and likeable. The ending with the little sports car said it all - nothing pretentious or stuck-up about William, Harry, or Kate. :thumbup:

Derrygal Apr 29th 2011 6:39 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9333686)
I think polygamy is illegal in the UK, even for the Royals. Now incest is a different thing - cousins, nephews, nieces, they've married them all (which I think explains why some of them are a bit crazy - maybe that explains the silly hats).

... and it's Katherine, with a K. Mind you don't get sent to the Tower.

But yes, the whole day was really quite touching and heartening. I think Princess Di can take a lot of credit for this generation of Royals being quite normal and likeable. The ending with the little sports car said it all - nothing pretentious or stuck-up about William, Harry, or Kate. :thumbup:

I think she spells her name Catherine with a C, but calls herself Kate with a K. Yes - you're right about William and Harry - Diana did a great job - they are fine young men - she would be proud of them. I must admit, I shed a few tears, thinking of Diana today!

Beedubya Apr 29th 2011 6:48 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9333705)
I think she spells her name Catherine with a C, but calls herself Kate with a K. Yes - you're right about William and Harry - Diana did a great job - they are fine young men - she would be proud of them. I must admit, I shed a few tears, thinking of Diana today!

Me too Derrygal, I bet she was watching over Kate/Catherine and Wills when the sun shone instead of the predicted rain. :)

Beedubya Apr 29th 2011 6:51 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread
 
I agree about some of the hats but heck there were some stunners there, can't wait for the fashion disection now.

And although Posh Spice didn't smile she did look utterly beautiful, loved her hat but not the beige one of the princess, can't remember her name but one of Fergie's two.

And weren't Kate's mum and sister sooooo slender and good looking?

I think Kate and Wills will make beautiful children together unless there is some throwback LOL!!;)


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:35 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.