British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Mummy in the foothills Jan 19th 2011 7:32 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9113753)
I think we should all live in a row of houses in Frome!

Can you imagine, it would be hilarious :lol:

aviva Jan 19th 2011 7:34 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9113992)
Can you imagine, it would be hilarious :lol:

We could take down the back yard separating walls and have huge garden parties, veg garden, pet-playing area. Maybe a koi pond, couple of chickens. LOL

Mummy in the foothills Jan 19th 2011 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9114000)
We could take down the back yard separating walls and have huge garden parties, veg garden, pet-playing area. Maybe a koi pond, couple of chickens. LOL

Sounds lovely I quite miss my Chickens, I still have trouble remembering to buy eggs when I go shopping and it's been 9mths since the last one died

islandwoman120 Jan 19th 2011 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9114000)

Got news for you: there are only little courtyards in the back of houses here - very high density housing, kept in the medieval style, if not actually ancient. I was at the Community Meeting tonight, regarding a 12 acre building site that has been up for development for years - lots of arguments, and so far the town has managed to keep out the big box retailers - Asda got in on the outskirts of town, so far away I have not been there - have to take a bus or drive. Any new development has to blend in with the old, and there has to be a blend of housing and business, with housing having a percentage for rent and the rest for sale. So - yes, knock down the back walls or have little gates between them, with no gates in the spaces...I could go for that.

SomersetGirl Jan 19th 2011 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Wawa (Post 9113782)
SomersetGirl, Curves are pretty good, but yes, you need some good cardio if you want to trim down (which is the story of my life :frown:) thats why I do a class - I find it more motivating with other people around and dont have to contend with the snow and crappy temps. -22 it was the other day!!:rolleyes: Where in Canada are you?

Winnipeg! -30C this am, glad I'm away at the moment:D

SomersetGirl Jan 19th 2011 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9113825)
The only way we're different appears to be that I am not even remotely happy about exercising :rofl:

I put on 50lbs when I stopped smoking and lost 30 of it 2 years ago on WW. I forced myself to go for walks, but mostly I did it just by eating more healthily. Then I got some still undiagnosed joint pain and that put the kibosh on walking - but really I think I was just looking for an excuse because I really hate exercise more than I can say. (Is that another way of saying I'm bone idle? :D)

I am in awe of all you ladies (and men?) who are not so lazy. The good news is I got back on the healthy eating bandwagon and so I'm now chipping into that last 20 lbs.

I quit smoking in 1985, put 30 lbs on very fast, then went to WW and lost 20 of it, have been working on the last 10 ever since, up, down, up down, up down. Swimming works the best for me, then walking. Have you tried flaxseed for your joint pain? I have problems with joint pain in my feet and since I started taking flaxseed with my oatmeal in the morning, it has improved dramatically:D It has to be ground and you have to take it every day....I originally took it just for general health, lowering cholesterol etc and didn't even know it was good for joint inflammation, so it was a wonderful bonus. If you try it and it works, you don't have to tell anyone, then you still won't have to exercise:rofl:

sallysimmons Jan 19th 2011 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl (Post 9114615)
Have you tried flaxseed for your joint pain? I have problems with joint pain in my feet and since I started taking flaxseed with my oatmeal in the morning, it has improved dramatically:D It has to be ground and you have to take it every day....I originally took it just for general health, lowering cholesterol etc and didn't even know it was good for joint inflammation, so it was a wonderful bonus. If you try it and it works, you don't have to tell anyone, then you still won't have to exercise:rofl:

I like the way you think :lol:

I haven't tried that but I will. The doc put me on megadoses of Vitamin D which helped ease the pain (and also got rid of my migraines totally which was a nice surprise). But the pain is still there and I'll try anything. Thanks for the suggestion.

SomersetGirl Jan 19th 2011 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9114639)
I like the way you think :lol:

I haven't tried that but I will. The doc put me on megadoses of Vitamin D which helped ease the pain (and also got rid of my migraines totally which was a nice surprise). But the pain is still there and I'll try anything. Thanks for the suggestion.

You only need to take 1 tablespoon daily, but if you take any medication, you should leave at least a couple of hours between the meds and the flaxseed, as it tends to move things through your system quickly (that's my polite English way of putting it) so you would lose the benefit of your medication:lol: You probably won't notice a difference for a few weeks, but hopefully it will help.

SomersetGirl Jan 19th 2011 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9113788)

I used to do curves 3 or 4 times a week, It didn't help me at all, but I enjoyed the ladies. Your going to love Zumba, we laugh so much and when you have to shake it :rofl: Oh and my hips only rotate in one direction, who knew :o

OK I'm ready to shake it!!

Mummy in the foothills Jan 19th 2011 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl (Post 9114651)
You only need to take 1 tablespoon daily, but if you take any medication, you should leave at least a couple of hours between the meds and the flaxseed, as it tends to move things through your system quickly (that's my polite English way of putting it) so you would lose the benefit of your medication:lol: You probably won't notice a difference for a few weeks, but hopefully it will help.

Must make a mental note NOT to add flaxseed to anything, I don't need the side effects :lol:

SomersetGirl Jan 19th 2011 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9114670)
Must make a mental note NOT to add flaxseed to anything, I don't need the side effects :lol:

:rofl::rofl:No, No, its not THAT bad, but it does impact any medication you take within a couple of hours. :rofl::rofl:

sallysimmons Jan 20th 2011 2:18 am

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl (Post 9114651)

No meds so I'll be fine - and I work from home so I can always run if needed :lol:

Bevm Jan 20th 2011 1:57 pm

On joint pain, I had it really bad at one point -- I thought I had rampaging arthritis -- but it turned out to be the new and expensize sneakers I'd bought because I thought they'd be so much better for my exercise than my beat up old ones.

I also get joint pain from two foods -- almonds and corn. Don't know why, but if I eat much of either I'm in agony in my hips and knees.

Lastly, a lot of people get joint pain with gluten intolerance, but that usually also has gut symptoms.

I need to find some exercise I like, but I am enjoying walking more now we're back in England.

Bev

aviva Jan 20th 2011 5:25 pm

Need a little input here. When I finally get back to UK I'll probably settle in the south of England. I have an American accent, been here 40+ years. I arrived talking like Bob Marley after having been in West Indies for 10 years. Somewhere in the beginning of time I had a Scottish accent.

I was lurking over in an Aussie forum last night and was shocked at the venom spewed against Americans. They (and I realize they are not representative of ALL Aussies) seem to think Americans are pretty much universally hated.

I'm thinking maybe (because I'm in LA and there's lots of voice and accent coaches) I should seriously try to get rid of this accent. I want my transition to living and traveling about Europe to be as hassle free as possible.

Gabgoeshome Jan 20th 2011 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9116410)
Need a little input here. When I finally get back to UK I'll probably settle in the south of England. I have an American accent, been here 40+ years. I arrived talking like Bob Marley after having been in West Indies for 10 years. Somewhere in the beginning of time I had a Scottish accent.

I was lurking over in an Aussie forum last night and was shocked at the venom spewed against Americans. They (and I realize they are not representative of ALL Aussies) seem to think Americans are pretty much universally hated.

I'm thinking maybe (because I'm in LA and there's lots of voice and accent coaches) I should seriously try to get rid of this accent. I want my transition to living and traveling about Europe to be as hassle free as possible.

No way ,please don't do that .

Most (if not all) Brits I know :wub:the American accent !

It would be canceling something wonderful about your experiences ,I just wouldn't lol !

My Husband never encountered any negative feelings from his accent ,most people just get to know the person .
The people who want to bash you for an accent ,are seriously NOT WORTH worrying about :)