British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

bandrui Apr 8th 2011 5:50 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9292804)
Just for a month......right now I'm sat in the Qantas Club at brisbane with a large glass of wine and a lot of cheese, waiting to board.....QF51/QF9 (cos I know you guys like to follow flights, as I do!).....24 hours time I will be relaxed and home, which will be sooooo good, even though I know its not permanent (yet :fingerscrossed:)

Have a great trip and don't forget your vicarious traveller peeps :cool:.

Beedubya Apr 8th 2011 9:05 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9291573)
Bee - How long did it take after arriving in England to be "awake" again?

As soon as the plane door opened at Manchester airport. :lol:

between two worlds Apr 8th 2011 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9293111)

haha that's great bee!

tina

windsong Apr 8th 2011 1:44 pm

Thought so! Just smelling the air and actually "seeing" home is enough :) :)

Pollyana Apr 9th 2011 10:59 am

:D I know that feeling :thumbup: Beautiful sunny day on London, wide awak and raring to go....nice pint of cider in a beer garden awaits me :beer:

bandrui Apr 10th 2011 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9294891)
:D I know that feeling :thumbup: Beautiful sunny day on London, wide awak and raring to go....nice pint of cider in a beer garden awaits me :beer:

Lucky you. Last week I went into our local liquor store and guess what they had?.... Weston's Premium Organic Cider. Almost fell over. Of course a bottle went home with me.
Love London. Have a great time! Are you visiting family or on business?

HighTide Apr 10th 2011 12:32 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Oh what a beautiful Sunday. Started off with a Car Boot Sale. So many bargains to be had. Bought a good step ladder for 5 pounds and a few tools we needed and probably a few more things I have not seen yet.;)

Drove down to a lovely little village on the River Dart called Stoke Gabriel where there is a dam over the river with several folk fishing . Headed towards home and stopped at one of the many farm shops in the area. Picked up a leg of lamb which we shall have tonight with all the trimmings. Taking a bit of a break from working today and may now go and sit in the garden for a while and read the Sunday Observer. The weather is most likely going back to average April temperatures this week but still not looking bad. We apparently have been warmer than severalplaces on the Med.:thumbsup:

sallysimmons Apr 10th 2011 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome (Post 9296156)
I agree...it is one of the nicest I have seen for a while ,such character and clean looking .

Plus, no bizarre colored feature walls :rofl:

:lol:

Also no wallpaper with huge flowers.

Hightide that sounds like a lovely day. Enjoy the paper!

Gabgoeshome Apr 10th 2011 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9296224)

I blame the NEXT directory catalog for that ;)

For a while, all you could buy were pictures of massive flowers , it suggested/advertised one bought them in in fours ...can't really the poor consumer :rofl:

windsong Apr 10th 2011 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by HighTide (Post 9296219)
Oh what a beautiful Sunday. Started off with a Car Boot Sale. So many bargains to be had. Bought a good step ladder for 5 pounds and a few tools we needed and probably a few more things I have not seen yet.;)

Drove down to a lovely little village on the River Dart called Stoke Gabriel where there is a dam over the river with several folk fishing . Headed towards home and stopped at one of the many farm shops in the area. Picked up a leg of lamb which we shall have tonight with all the trimmings. Taking a bit of a break from working today and may now go and sit in the garden for a while and read the Sunday Observer. The weather is most likely going back to average April temperatures this week but still not looking bad. We apparently have been warmer than severalplaces on the Med.:thumbsup:

Sounds like a good ole British weekend - relaxed, worthwhile, and a leg of lamb!!! :) Mint sauce, too?

windsong Apr 10th 2011 2:38 pm

Don't you just hate wallpaper with huge flowers! I've watched that show, "60-Minute Makeover" on the ITV iPlayer and that's been ALL they've used in the bedrooms in the three shows I have watched. The designer actually brags about it because it is "reflective"/shiny and lets more light in from the window. :(

I remember they used to have those home shopping catalogs. I wonder if they still do or if it is all online now - probably online.

I also wonder if styles are different in the UK than in the USA, i.e. furniture, kitchens, decorating, etc.

cheers Apr 10th 2011 2:58 pm

Sally, I walked up that street and couldn't find that house, did you see it? It is a nice neighborhood.

HighTide Apr 10th 2011 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9296323)
Sounds like a good ole British weekend - relaxed, worthwhile, and a leg of lamb!!! :) Mint sauce, too?

Mint sauce for sure.:thumbsup:

sallysimmons Apr 10th 2011 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9296326)
Don't you just hate wallpaper with huge flowers! I've watched that show, "60-Minute Makeover" on the ITV iPlayer and that's been ALL they've used in the bedrooms in the three shows I have watched. The designer actually brags about it because it is "reflective"/shiny and lets more light in from the window. :(

I remember they used to have those home shopping catalogs. I wonder if they still do or if it is all online now - probably online.

I also wonder if styles are different in the UK than in the USA, i.e. furniture, kitchens, decorating, etc.

I watch that show too, although I find it hard to look at the clearly anorexic host. I keep wishing someone would tie her down and force feed her doughnuts.

I did see a link to DFS on another thread here and was looking there yesterday. It's a sofa shop with very reasonable prices. I found sofas that look very much like the ones we got here at Pottery Barn although DFS is a lot cheaper. Here it is http://www.dfs.co.uk/. There's a lot I didn't like, but quite a few that I did.

windsong Apr 10th 2011 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9296383)
I watch that show too, although I find it hard to look at the clearly anorexic host. I keep wishing someone would tie her down and force feed her doughnuts.

I did see a link to DFS on another thread here and was looking there yesterday. It's a sofa shop with very reasonable prices. I found sofas that look very much like the ones we got here at Pottery Barn although DFS is a lot cheaper. Here it is http://www.dfs.co.uk/. There's a lot I didn't like, but quite a few that I did.

Ha ha!! Yes, "anoexic" is clearly the word for that host. She's unbelievably skin and bone!

Thanks for the link to the sofa shop. I must go and look and will save the link for when I am back in the UK (one day!).

I adore Pottery Barn's furniture - so warm and cozy.