British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

JamesM Jun 2nd 2021 9:28 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 13013262)
Heard on the CBC news 1:00 pm today ............

just over 70% of adults in BC have received at least their first dose of vaccine

If age group 12-18 is added, then just over 65% adults 12 and up have received the first dose.

The very best news was zero deaths in the UK yesterday.

It's validation that the vaccine works and we will shortly be back to normal.

Gozit Jun 3rd 2021 8:58 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13013269)
Biggest driver of spread.

I was relieved. I have the confidence of enjoying a summer drinking beer on patios now.

Agreed. Putting them back in for 3-4 weeks made no sense when they've been out of school since end March/early April. By the time the kids would have transitioned back into school mentally, the school year would be over. Not worth the risk for the minimal benefit it would provide to the students. Better to get them back in September and hopefully keep them there, and avoid more closures/lockdowns. Not sure I can trust dougie not to lock down again though, he really likes lockdowns.


Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13013272)
The very best news was zero deaths in the UK yesterday.

It's validation that the vaccine works and we will shortly be back to normal.

Yep. It has been known from the beginning that even if one gets infected after taking the vaccine, the infection will be mild/not deadly.

The government needs to understand risk reduction vs risk elimination. We will never eliminate the risk of covid-19, but vaccines strongly reduce the risk, just like the flu shot. So, get everyone vaccinated and get back to normal. We will still have cases, but that's the nature of the beast.

dbd33 Jun 3rd 2021 11:21 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13013272)
we will shortly be back to normal.


I, for one, would not welcome that. Already the arguments are in progress "we should reopen the office because people like being in an office"!

JamesM Jun 3rd 2021 1:09 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13013441)
I, for one, would not welcome that. Already the arguments are in progress "we should reopen the office because people like being in an office"!

I think people do like being in the office.

But they certainly don't like having to drive an hour and a half to get there or to sit on a crowded public transit system wasting valuable time in their day. Then there is the cost of the commute that they have been banking.

Is there a hybrid?

I'm waiting to see how the ball bounces. The lack of commute is what has kept me in Toronto all these years but I've never understood it for those who ride a Go Train and aren't from here.

I do want my pub live music on a Saturday and my belly says I need my indoor fitness classes to start again. My motivation for exercise is not what it should be in lockdown.


Gozit Jun 3rd 2021 1:14 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13013485)
I think people do like being in the office.

But they certainly don't like having to drive an hour and a half to get there or to sit on a crowded public transit system wasting valuable time in their day.

Is there a hybrid?

I'm waiting to see how the ball bounces. The lack of commute is what has kept me in Toronto all these years but I've never understood it for those who ride a Go Train and aren't from here.

I'd love to find a 100% remote job. I hate being tied to one place.

caretaker Jun 3rd 2021 1:25 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
As our numbers in Sask continue to trend downward, over 65's are now eligible for their 2nd shot. I'll have to check later and see what the wait times are like at the drive through.

JamesM Jun 3rd 2021 1:25 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 13013487)
I'd love to find a 100% remote job. I hate being tied to one place.

I think in Malta you would find short commutes and also plenty of remote work.

I know a chap who does very well out of working for the many offshore gaming/gambling companies there. The money is good too.

Canada isn't a progressive place professionally. I'm currently working with organizations on modernizing the workplace and Executives here are still sitting on the fence waiting to see what the US and Europe does.

HGerchikov Jun 3rd 2021 2:08 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13013441)
I, for one, would not welcome that. Already the arguments are in progress "we should reopen the office because people like being in an office"!

OH's company took the opposite view and closed his office in Guelph permanently. I fear I am going to be listening to his meetings for the rest of my days!

dbd33 Jun 3rd 2021 2:15 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13013485)
I think people do like being in the office.

But they certainly don't like having to drive an hour and a half to get there or to sit on a crowded public transit system wasting valuable time in their day. Then there is the cost of the commute that they have been banking.

Is there a hybrid?

Yes, quite a few people had a 2/3 day split even before covid, a few were already 100% remote. Lots of people have been recruited during covid who cannot commute (from Kelowna, for example). The danger, for managers, is tail wagging dog; the staff want the socialization so the manager has to go in to indulge them.

dbd33 Jun 3rd 2021 2:20 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13013495)

I know a chap who does very well out of working for the many offshore gaming/gambling companies there. The money is good too.

I slightly knew a couple who were obliged to live for years in a tropical paradise when islands were the place for those casinos. Oddly, a change in law meant the servers, and the couple, were shifted to Vancouver. I've no idea why the liveware had to shuffle around with the hardware.

dbd33 Jun 3rd 2021 2:23 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 13013527)
OH's company took the opposite view and closed his office in Guelph permanently.

I expect an outcome like that. Apart from anything else, I don't work with anyone who would be in Guelph if that office did reopen. I have to play that carefully though, I don't want to hear "true, lately you mainly work with people who are in Regina, go there".

Danny B Jun 3rd 2021 3:41 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Now they are talking about a vaccine resistant 'Nepal variant'. When is this crap going to end?

JamesM Jun 3rd 2021 3:59 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13013562)
Now they are talking about a vaccine resistant 'Nepal variant'. When is this crap going to end?

You've been hoaxed by the Daily Mail apparently: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-b1858646.html


Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13013533)
I slightly knew a couple who were obliged to live for years in a tropical paradise when islands were the place for those casinos. Oddly, a change in law meant the servers, and the couple, were shifted to Vancouver. I've no idea why the liveware had to shuffle around with the hardware.

Certainly no tax breaks in this part of the world!!

I just got off the phone with a major Commercial Real Estate firm executive. They're primarily mid-rise stock in Toronto but they've not seen a big fall off in tenants and think people have short memories and will be back in the office.

Some firms will have realized that saving rent is more effective for the bottom line than employee congregation- but I think a lot of these firms will also realize they can accelerate the automation of the employees and it's less likely to impact morale if no one has ever met Mark from Scarborough anyway.

On the other hand many firms have seen a massive fall off and will want employees back to turn the ship around.

We are going to have a lot of job openings with all these folks saying they'll quit if they can't work remote. The beauty of the system is we won't have to pay any of these folk EI and the shortage of workers will push salaries up for the third who remain.

People who have a choice of where they can work in Ontario are few and far between.

Danny B Jun 3rd 2021 4:12 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13013569)
You've been hoaxed by the Daily Mail apparently: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-b1858646.html

No I stay away from the daily fail.

I read it buried in this article https://news.sky.com/story/holiday-h...amber-12323752

JamesM Jun 3rd 2021 5:17 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
This is the hybrid return to work I'd expect:

​​​​​​https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57342768

caretaker Jun 3rd 2021 6:13 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
I'll wait until it's convenient and I see wait times down to 0 - 1/2 hr.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...67b7c4bfc1.jpg

dbd33 Jun 3rd 2021 6:28 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13013606)
This is the hybrid return to work I'd expect:

​​​​​​https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57342768

"I know I'm not alone in missing the hum of activity, the energy, creativity and collaboration of our in-person meetings and the sense of community we've all built."

Oh dear. One advantage of being at home is that immediate after a burst of energy, creativity and collaboration, I can step outside and scream "****ing morons!" and the chickens are unflustered. In an office context one screams and a dozen meth heads shout back. The office context is not better suited to working.

JamesM Jun 3rd 2021 9:40 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13013639)
"I know I'm not alone in missing the hum of activity, the energy, creativity and collaboration of our in-person meetings and the sense of community we've all built."

Oh dear. One advantage of being at home is that immediate after a burst of energy, creativity and collaboration, I can step outside and scream "****ing morons!" and the chickens are unflustered. In an office context one screams and a dozen meth heads shout back. The office context is not better suited to working.

Just because your chickens are taking the higher ground and being polite doesn't mean they are unflustered! :rofl:

caretaker Jun 3rd 2021 10:01 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...f278cc2119.jpg

Siouxie Jun 4th 2021 12:58 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13013711)
Just because your chickens are taking the higher ground and being polite doesn't mean they are unflustered! :rofl:

Their feathers are definitely ruffled when exposed to loud rumbustious behaviour :rofl:

printer Jun 4th 2021 1:14 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13013573)
No I stay away from the daily fail.

I read it buried in this article https://news.sky.com/story/holiday-h...amber-12323752

Yes it appears the whole "going on holiday" thing is yet again thrown into chaos by the UK government. I will admit that anyone who booked a Portugal trip was playing with fire anyway considering previous rule changes around travelling. I don't think any holidays abroad are considered safe to book right now unless you enjoy endless queueing, multiple COVID tests and possibly isolating. I think i would opt for Bognor Regis. :lol:

JamesM Jun 4th 2021 2:31 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13013771)
Their feathers are definitely ruffled when exposed to loud rumbustious behaviour :rofl:

We need a thread on animal abuse!

dbd33 Jun 4th 2021 3:09 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13013952)
We need a thread on animal abuse!

Just to be clear. I do not view shouting profanities in the general area of chickens as being animal abuse. No aspect of my relationship with the current batch of chickens is abusive or inappropriate in the eyes of the law or of the Catholic church.

Danny B Jun 4th 2021 3:33 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by printer (Post 13013774)
Yes it appears the whole "going on holiday" thing is yet again thrown into chaos by the UK government. I will admit that anyone who booked a Portugal trip was playing with fire anyway considering previous rule changes around travelling. I don't think any holidays abroad are considered safe to book right now unless you enjoy endless queueing, multiple COVID tests and possibly isolating. I think i would opt for Bognor Regis. :lol:

I really don't get the British fascination with having to go away for 2 weeks in the Sun each and every year. What makes it worse is when they get to Malaga or the Algarve, they seek out British style cafes and watch British TV. :huh:

We like to travel within Canada for a few long weekends 3-4 times each year, and then once every 5 years we go crazy and fly to somewhere we have never been before. Luckily for us we did that trip in August 2019 and spent 3 weeks in the Philippines.


Jerseygirl Jun 4th 2021 3:58 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13013971)
I really don't get the British fascination with having to go away for 2 weeks in the Sun each and every year. What makes it worse is when they get to Malaga or the Algarve, they seek out British style cafes and watch British TV. :huh:

We like to travel within Canada for a few long weekends 3-4 times each year, and then once every 5 years we go crazy and fly to somewhere we have never been before. Luckily for us we did that trip in August 2019 and spent 3 weeks in the Philippines.


Maybe the unpredictable British weather? The last holiday I had in the UK was a complete washout. 💨💧💦☔️

Atlantic Xpat Jun 4th 2021 5:17 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by printer (Post 13013774)
Yes it appears the whole "going on holiday" thing is yet again thrown into chaos by the UK government. I will admit that anyone who booked a Portugal trip was playing with fire anyway considering previous rule changes around travelling. I don't think any holidays abroad are considered safe to book right now unless you enjoy endless queueing, multiple COVID tests and possibly isolating. I think i would opt for Bognor Regis. :lol:

Given that the R number is up, the Delta (Indian) variant is becoming prevalent & there were over 6k cases reported today, Team Bozza's ineptitude on failing to restrict travel from India when the variant first became of concern seems to be coming home to roost. Were I still in Blighty I wouldn't be booking holidays abroad at present. Heck, I'm not booking any inter-provincial travel this year either.

Danny B Jun 4th 2021 5:26 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13013976)
Maybe the unpredictable British weather? The last holiday I had in the UK was a complete washout. 💨💧💦☔️

I never really noticed the rain when I was living there, however, 6 months+ of rain on the Pacific west coast is enough to drive anyone to Benidorm :lol:

Jerseygirl Jun 4th 2021 6:56 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13014016)
I never really noticed the rain when I was living there, however, 6 months+ of rain on the Pacific west coast is enough to drive anyone to Benidorm :lol:

A few years ago I spent the end of July and all of August in the UK. Before I landed the weather had been fabulous…so I packed accordingly. Sadly after a couple of days that changed…I had to buy shoes, jumpers, jeans and even a coat. :frown:

Former Lancastrian Jun 4th 2021 9:48 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Just saw the Mayor of Windsor (Drew Dilkens) on Power & Politics. He has proposed drawing a line in the Windsor Tunnel and having Canadians vaccinated by US Healthcare workers without the need to quarantine as they have not actually left Canada. This is in relation to Detroit having to waste 35,000 AZ shots last week due to expiry date. Why isn't this mayor running the country?

JamesM Jun 4th 2021 10:27 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13014126)
Just saw the Mayor of Windsor (Drew Dilkens) on Power & Politics. He has proposed drawing a line in the Windsor Tunnel and having Canadians vaccinated by US Healthcare workers without the need to quarantine as they have not actually left Canada. This is in relation to Detroit having to waste 35,000 AZ shots last week due to expiry date. Why isn't this mayor running the country?

Because he ran in municipal politics and not in federal.

JamesM Jun 4th 2021 10:29 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13013964)
Just to be clear. I do not view shouting profanities in the general area of chickens as being animal abuse. No aspect of my relationship with the current batch of chickens is abusive or inappropriate in the eyes of the law or of the Catholic church.

#ChickensFeelingsMatter

Former Lancastrian Jun 4th 2021 10:31 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13014139)
Because he ran in municipal politics and not in federal.

Probably doesn't speak French either. Wassup heard the news Conte has turned down the Spurs job.

JamesM Jun 4th 2021 10:38 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13014141)
Probably doesn't speak French either. Wassup heard the news Conte has turned down the Spurs job.

Apologies for the shortness in the municipal/fed answer!

I've had my first bourbon of the evening and the edge is leaving my week.

Conte isn't a fit like Mourinho wasn't.

At this stage it's Pochettino back or Nuno for me. I also wouldn't mind seeing Eddie Howe given a crack but that one doesn't seem to fly with the media.

Spurs need a coach who can mould and develop. The serial winners won't work because we are not owned by a Shikh or Oligarch. You work with a budget at Spurs and need to get more out of what you have.

That's my two sense. DBD is also a Spurs man I believe! Not sure on his view?

Do you think Conte would be successful at Spurs?



scilly Jun 4th 2021 11:26 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
??What, if anything, does this have to do with coronovirus??

caretaker Jun 5th 2021 12:09 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
I think it just naturally evolved from shouting at chickens. Beautiful.

JamesM Jun 5th 2021 1:15 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 13014165)
??What, if anything, does this have to do with coronovirus??


Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13014172)
I think it just naturally evolved from shouting at chickens. Beautiful.

Yes. Using COVID DBD has an evil plan to rule the world by controlling chickens.

It's not to dissimilar to the many Bond villains of the past who have massive lairs in the middle of nowhere.

dbd33 Jun 5th 2021 1:37 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13014145)
Apologies for the shortness in the municipal/fed answer!

I've had my first bourbon of the evening and the edge is leaving my week.

Conte isn't a fit like Mourinho wasn't.

At this stage it's Pochettino back or Nuno for me. I also wouldn't mind seeing Eddie Howe given a crack but that one doesn't seem to fly with the media.

Spurs need a coach who can mould and develop. The serial winners won't work because we are not owned by a Shikh or Oligarch. You work with a budget at Spurs and need to get more out of what you have.

That's my two sense. DBD is also a Spurs man I believe! Not sure on his view?

Do you think Conte would be successful at Spurs?

I am a Yid and I was horrified to see Poch go and then to see Mourinho arrive. If only Levy had given the price of Mourinho to Poch to spend on players, if only Poch had been a bit less pig headed about the players he wanted. Poch is on to bigger things now, we need someone who has the hunger he had when he came, for me Eddie Howe fits the frame.

dbd33 Jun 5th 2021 1:40 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13014183)
Yes. Using COVID DBD has an evil plan to rule the world by controlling chickens.

It's not to dissimilar to the many Bond villains of the past who have massive lairs in the middle of nowhere.

Maybe Covid doesn't come from bats, maybe it's an avian flu variant, maybe I've unleashed it in Ontario.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 5th 2021 5:44 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
Got this email today from the province.Records show that you received AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD as your first vaccine dose. You’re one step away from being fully vaccinated.

Second dose invitations will start being sent 8 weeks after your first dose -beginning on Monday June 7, 2021.

For your second dose, you can choose one of these options:
  • Get AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD at a pharmacy. The pharmacy that provided your first dose will contact you to book an appointment. No action is required on your part. Please do not call the pharmacy.
  • Get Pfizer or Moderna (mRNA) at a vaccine clinic. You will receive a text or email letting you know it is your time to book
A Message from Dr Bonnie Henry

sharkus Jun 7th 2021 1:48 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
I got my first jab of Pfizer on Saturday morning. I was amazed at how extremely efficient the process was. The many staff there were very friendly. I'm hoping that the speed up of eligibility of the second dose continues and my group becomes eligible soon, as that could mean that I'll have passed the 21 day interval between shots, and can move up my appointment from 25th September.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:36 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.