British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

BristolUK Apr 12th 2021 7:27 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 12994361)
(1.) Non private sector background naivete, .

So Vaccine Shortfall to Hit Europe, Canada as Pfizer Plant Is Upgraded didn't happen then.

The European Union, Canada and some other countries will receive fewer doses next week of the Covid-19 vaccine made by Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE due to an upgrade at Pfizer’s European factory, the companies said Friday, adding to concerns about the slow pace of the global vaccine rollout.The delay won’t affect the U.S.
This was false then. :rolleyes:

BristolUK Apr 12th 2021 9:08 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
This is too good to leave only in the general section


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...28ff10fcbb.jpg

caretaker Apr 12th 2021 9:14 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
If you haven't already, fill out your organ donor card.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ario-1.5983712

vinegarboy Apr 12th 2021 10:29 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12994369)
So Vaccine Shortfall to Hit Europe, Canada as Pfizer Plant Is Upgraded didn't happen then.
This was false then. :rolleyes:

Only affected a single week's delivery; not the sum total of millions of missing doses being discussed.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 12th 2021 11:28 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
3,289 new cases over the weekend.

18 deaths over the 3 day period.

368 patients are in hospital, including 121 people in critical care. ICU number is record high.

Deaths are mostly taking place in the community now, mostly people in their 60's and 70's, LTC homes haven't been seeing deaths in sometime due to vaccination.

50% of cases are now variants of some sort.

1.112 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in BC, mostly 1 dose, less than 100,000 people have received both doses last I saw is was 86,000 or so with 2 doses.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...l-12-1.5984289


Shard Apr 12th 2021 11:39 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12994458)
3,289 new cases over the weekend.

18 deaths over the 3 day period.

368 patients are in hospital, including 121 people in critical care. ICU number is record high.

Deaths are mostly taking place in the community now, mostly people in their 60's and 70's, LTC homes haven't been seeing deaths in sometime due to vaccination.

50% of cases are now variants of some sort.

1.112 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in BC, mostly 1 dose, less than 100,000 people have received both doses last I saw is was 86,000 or so with 2 doses.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...l-12-1.5984289

It's been well known for months that the UK variant is highly transmissable, and yet...





scrubbedexpat091 Apr 13th 2021 12:03 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12994466)
It's been well known for months that the UK variant is highly transmissable, and yet...


We have the P1 variant too, most P1 variant cases outside of Brazil.


BristolUK Apr 13th 2021 12:19 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 12994437)
Only affected a single week's delivery; .

Longer and then because of the shutdown further time to build back up. This affected two different vaccines.


vinegarboy Apr 13th 2021 12:42 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12994481)
Longer and then because of the shutdown further time to build back up. This affected two different vaccines.

If Canada's truly been so beholdenly held up in receiving its doses owing to a mfr slowdown, how is it then that Australia's fed govt was able at very short notice last week (after they'd effectively canned the AZ) to secure an extra 10 million Pfizer doses in less than 48hrs? Don't you think that Minister Anand in Ottawa might be just a tad less than either motivated or stellar in her procurement role?

bats Apr 13th 2021 12:58 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 12994491)
If Canada's truly been so beholdenly held up in receiving its doses owing to a mfr slowdown, how is it then that Australia's fed govt was able at very short notice last week (after they'd effectively canned the AZ) to secure an extra 10 million Pfizer doses in less than 48hrs? Don't you think that Minister Anand in Ottawa might be just a tad less than either motivated or stellar in her procurement role?

do you think Canada needs to order more vaccines? The federal government has ordered something like 4 times the number needed. The problems seem to be in distribution of the ones already received.

P.S. I've no ideas what "beholdenly held up" means.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 13th 2021 1:17 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12994494)
do you think Canada needs to order more vaccines? The federal government has ordered something like 4 times the number needed. The problems seem to be in distribution of the ones already received.

P.S. I've no ideas what "beholdenly held up" means.


Yes it certainly is not an order issue in Canada, Canada ordered lots and lots, but you can order 100 million but doesn't mean the companies will ship 100 million all at once or quickly.


As of today of the 10,620,740 vaccines received in Canada, 77.8% have been administered as of current update.

https://covid19tracker.ca/vaccinationtracker.html

vinegarboy Apr 13th 2021 1:19 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12994494)
do you think Canada needs to order more vaccines? The federal government has ordered something like 4 times the number needed. The problems seem to be in distribution of the ones already received.

P.S. I've no ideas what "beholdenly held up" means.

Ordering's neither here nor there on a bureaucrat's beautiful virtual spreadsheet in Ottawa, given that the reality on the ground is that most Canadians are going to have to make do for months in the teeth of a raging pandemic with just 1 shot per declared fed govt policy because they actually have too few physical doses to fulfil the population's requirements per the mfrs' dosing protocols.

Et Anglais est Anglais.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 13th 2021 1:31 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
No need to self pay for the hotel if arriving from Canada? Just tell the government on arrival you can't afford it?

"the government is providing free accommodations at one of the most comfortable spots on Toronto’s airport strip: all someone arriving from outside Canada needs to tell health officers is that they can’t afford the three-day package at one of the 19 hotels enrolled in the government program."

printer Apr 13th 2021 5:28 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
Nasal Spray offers treatment hope for COVID 19
Should we be excited? Successful trials on UK variant and a Canadian company.
I do not remember hearing about this but it popped up on UK media today

https://sanotize.com/

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 13th 2021 6:07 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by printer (Post 12994534)
Nasal Spray offers treatment hope for COVID 19
Should we be excited? Successful trials on UK variant and a Canadian company.
I do not remember hearing about this but it popped up on UK media today

https://sanotize.com/


Seems it will be available in Israel this summer, and while not approved for anti-viral in New Zealand, it does appear the product is available for OTC sale under a different name.

https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idUSKBN2BE267

If I recall they have asked Health Canada for approval several months back.





vinegarboy Apr 13th 2021 8:24 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by printer (Post 12994534)
Nasal Spray offers treatment hope for COVID 19
Should we be excited? Successful trials on UK variant and a Canadian company.
I do not remember hearing about this but it popped up on UK media today

https://sanotize.com/

This sounds bogus & dangerously misinforming to me.

Shard Apr 13th 2021 10:45 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
Covidtidbit from CBC...
Apparently, the risk of being infected through touching a surface is only 1 in 10000. Seems low.

BristolUK Apr 13th 2021 1:01 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12994649)
Covidtidbit from CBC...
Apparently, the risk of being infected through touching a surface is only 1 in 10000. Seems low.

Way back it was suggested that although traces of the virus were found on surfaces X units of time later and the time varied according to the surface, it might not be in a form capable of infecting someone touching that surface..

So is this 1 in 10,000 related to that or is it because regular cleaning of multi touch surfaces has been a success and is, therefore, something that should continue to keep the risk low?

Shard Apr 13th 2021 1:12 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12994719)
Way back it was suggested that although traces of the virus were found on surfaces X units of time later and the time varied according to the surface, it might not be in a form capable of infecting someone touching that surface..

So is this 1 in 10,000 related to that or is it because regular cleaning of multi touch surfaces has been a success and is, therefore, something that should continue to keep the risk low?

No idea, it was just a comment one of the scientists made. Agree that it would be good to know whether it relates to before/after measures. The main message was that we need to be vigilant against aerosol transmission.

vinegarboy Apr 13th 2021 1:37 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12994726)
No idea, it was just a comment one of the scientists made. Agree that it would be good to know whether it relates to before/after measures. The main message was that we need to be vigilant against aerosol transmission.

It'll be that still-electrophoretically-identifiable molecular fragments of the SARS-CoV-2 viral Nucleic Acid will have been able to have been successfully PCR'd up (i.e., off swabs taken from many types of typical everyday surfaces) to detectability & positive identification.

Fragments of a viral NA aren't typically infectious (although horizontal gene transfer HGT-uptake is known to occur among microbes), & are actually a part of what a traditional inactivated-pathogen vaccine would've introduced into our bodies in order to help stimulate an immune response.

The bottom-line still being that an uninfected individual touching a surface that's just been freshly sneezed-upon by an infectious person would be a bad idea; with the badness appearing to rapidly deteriorate as the virus particles dry-out, desiccate, & die away safely to become food for surficial microbes (esp. yeasts & fungi).


Danny B Apr 13th 2021 2:27 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 12994740)
It'll be that still-electrophoretically-identifiable molecular fragments of the SARS-CoV-2 viral Nucleic Acid will have been able to have been successfully PCR'd up (i.e., off swabs taken from many types of typical everyday surfaces) to detectability & positive identification.

Fragments of a viral NA aren't typically infectious (although horizontal gene transfer HGT-uptake is known to occur among microbes), & are actually a part of what a traditional inactivated-pathogen vaccine would've introduced into our bodies in order to help stimulate an immune response.

The bottom-line still being that an uninfected individual touching a surface that's just been freshly sneezed-upon by an infectious person would be a bad idea; with the badness appearing to rapidly deteriorate as the virus particles dry-out, desiccate, & die away safely to become food for surficial microbes (esp. yeasts & fungi).

I remember watching this video last year when COVID was ramping up and absolutely shitting my pants. Thank God we know more now.



vinegarboy Apr 13th 2021 3:06 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12994754)
I remember watching this video last year when COVID was ramping up and absolutely shitting my pants. Thank God we know more now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGQEuuv9R6E

We would've had things way worse had this occurred in pre-www times, back in the 1980s/90s, before near-instant & widespread communication & info-transfer was available, as well as rapid viral Nucleic Acid sequencing, fast protein structural elucidation, & quick vaccine development.

Hopefully we'll have learned our lesson & now be ready if an enemy ever looses something like this upon us that they've already vaccinated their armed forces against...

bats Apr 13th 2021 3:55 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 12994497)
Ordering's neither here nor there on a bureaucrat's beautiful virtual spreadsheet in Ottawa, given that the reality on the ground is that most Canadians are going to have to make do for months in the teeth of a raging pandemic with just 1 shot per declared fed govt policy because they actually have too few physical doses to fulfil the population's requirements per the mfrs' dosing protocols.

Et Anglais est Anglais.

Your French is as bad as your English

Jerseygirl Apr 13th 2021 6:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
One person in Canada is reported to have blood clots after having the AZ vaccine.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 13th 2021 6:57 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12994889)
One person in Canada is reported to have blood clots after having the AZ vaccine.

And the US is suspending the US of J&J vaccine due to blood clots. 6 cases so far all female, between ages of 18 and 48.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...nson-1.5985580


Revin Kevin Apr 13th 2021 7:08 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12994498)
No need to self pay for the hotel if arriving from Canada? Just tell the government on arrival you can't afford it?

"the government is providing free accommodations at one of the most comfortable spots on Toronto’s airport strip: all someone arriving from outside Canada needs to tell health officers is that they can’t afford the three-day package at one of the 19 hotels enrolled in the government program."

I'd invoice them for the hotel stay in that case. If they didn't pay the invoice then" the sheriffs are coming"!

Danny B Apr 13th 2021 7:14 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Hopefully this will be us in a few more months, can't wait to drink a cold one with some work colleagues after work one night.

https://news.sky.com/video/covid-19-...eases-12274111


vinegarboy Apr 13th 2021 7:17 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12994899)
I'd invoice them for the hotel stay in that case. If they didn't pay the invoice then" the sheriffs are coming"!

Don't assume that all coming back up & going in these places are freeloaders. Some folks lost their jobs in Canada last year & have had to shelter with friends in the U.S. to survive the winter, & luckily to be able to get fully vaccinated. So their unused Canadian PHAC doses that can now go to someone else should actually be considered as a credit to them.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 13th 2021 7:21 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12994903)
Hopefully this will be us in a few more months, can't wait to drink a cold one with some work colleagues after work one night.

https://news.sky.com/video/covid-19-...eases-12274111


Hopefully.

Looks like Canada is higher than the US now on the 7 day rolling average in cases per million.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...e7c2fe19ae.png

Siouxie Apr 13th 2021 8:15 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Asterman (Post 12994929)
China magically dealt with it. Weird stuff really.

More likely the reason China 'magically dealt with it' is that the citizens are disciplined and 'obey' what they are told to do, (such as keep social distancing, wear masks, stay at home) - unlike many (most?) of the Western countries.

Danny B Apr 13th 2021 8:18 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12994905)
Hopefully.

Looks like Canada is higher than the US now on the 7 day rolling average in cases per million.

Now that the majority of new infections are the 20-29 year old's I've become jaded to the daily reports on new cases. I'm only really concerned with daily deaths and how many ICU beds are in use.

The death stats aren't as bad now as they have been in the past, hopefully they will go down even more more as people get inoculated.


vinegarboy Apr 13th 2021 8:23 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12994939)
More likely the reason China 'magically dealt with it' is that the citizens are disciplined and 'obey' what they are told to do, (such as keep social distancing, wear masks, stay at home) - unlike many (most?) of the Western countries.

Abd no doubt our two chief potential foreign adversaries are taking very careful notes about our weaknesses & vulnerabilities.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 13th 2021 8:27 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12994941)
Now that the majority of new infections are the 20-29 year old's I've become jaded to the daily reports on new cases. I'm only really concerned with daily deaths and how many ICU beds are in use.

The death stats aren't as bad now as they have been in the past, hopefully they will go down even more more as people get inoculated.

Deaths are lower yes, but keep in mind BC is at record highs for the ICU at the moment.




scrubbedexpat091 Apr 13th 2021 11:12 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Apparently the school exposures today, seems like schools maybe should be closed?



Shard Apr 14th 2021 4:24 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12994941)
Now that the majority of new infections are the 20-29 year old's I've become jaded to the daily reports on new cases. I'm only really concerned with daily deaths and how many ICU beds are in use.

The death stats aren't as bad now as they have been in the past, hopefully they will go down even more more as people get inoculated.

There's some truth in that, but cases are still a concern as the more the virus circulates, the more chance it has to mutate. The nightmare scenario is a mutation that is able to outwit the current vaccines we have. There's also an ongoing risk for the "vaccinated but unprotected" amongst us, and that will only be curtailed once the virus stops spreading in the community (cases). Deaths are expected to reduce consideraby over the coming months.

vinegarboy Apr 14th 2021 4:56 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
This morning I was surprised (as a Canadian citizen currently in the U.S., & on-track to be fully vaccinated later this month) to be told on the phone by a PHAC official that they'll determine whether or not I'll "be let in" to Canada next month (May) when I pull up to the border.

Does anyone know if the impending announcement from Ottawa regarding entry policy into Canada is about to change under the Quarantine Act to actually deny the entry back into Canada of Canadian citizens?

Jerseygirl Apr 14th 2021 4:59 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 12995288)
This morning I was surprised (as a Canadian citizen currently in the U.S., & on-track to be fully vaccinated later this month) to be told on the phone by a PHAC official that they'll determine whether or not I'll "be let in" to Canada next month (May) when I pull up to the border.

Does anyone know if the impending announcement from Ottawa regarding entry policy into Canada is about to change under the Quarantine Act to actually deny the entry back into Canada of Canadian citizens?

I thought Canadian citizens have a right to enter Canada. I know citizens who arrive at Pearson airport cannot be forced to quarantine in a hotel. They have the right to go home. At least that’s what was reported on TV here.

Former Lancastrian Apr 14th 2021 5:16 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
From the CBSA websiteYou indicated that you are:
  • a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, a person registered under the Indian Act or a protected person
  • not showing symptoms consistent with COVID-19
  • entering Canada
Based on your answers, you can enter Canada.
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...citizen-return

vinegarboy Apr 14th 2021 5:38 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12995307)
From the CBSA websiteYou indicated that you are:
  • a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, a person registered under the Indian Act or a protected person
  • not showing symptoms consistent with COVID-19
  • entering Canada
Based on your answers, you can enter Canada.
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...citizen-return

That's exactly what I got too when I did the ArriveCAN app bit this morning.

I know that Australia has a weekly quota system in place for allowing entry into Australia even by Australian citizens, so after hearing the PHAC official on the phone this morning I'm growing concerned that perhaps something similar might be in-the-works for Canada, as well.

As far as I knew before this morning (& not myself ever having read our Quarantine Act) being a Canadian citizen guarantees right-of-entry into Canada.

Anyhow, if anyone hears of anything coming down the line, please could they post here asap so that I could then bring my return date forwards. (My 2wks post 2nd Pfizer shot will be May 10th, but I'm reasonably confident that I'd still be safe enough if it turns out that I'd be wise to travel back up on April 30th.)

Gozit Apr 14th 2021 5:49 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 12995288)
This morning I was surprised (as a Canadian citizen currently in the U.S., & on-track to be fully vaccinated later this month) to be told on the phone by a PHAC official that they'll determine whether or not I'll "be let in" to Canada next month (May) when I pull up to the border.

Does anyone know if the impending announcement from Ottawa regarding entry policy into Canada is about to change under the Quarantine Act to actually deny the entry back into Canada of Canadian citizens?

Impending announcement? Do u have more info on that you can post? I am going to be travelling outside of Canada in the summer.

Canadian citizens have a constitutionally guaranteed right to enter the country they cannot deny you entry. Australia is a bit different they do not have as strong of a constitution as we do when it comes to personal rights. In your case, Assuming you are just a tourist returning from US to CA you would be denied re-entry to the US by the Americans if the Canadians turned you back at the land border, so they can't do that.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:23 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.