British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

vinegarboy Apr 8th 2021 12:21 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12992547)
i also wipe down all groceries - and have done since this started even though apparently it's no longer thought absolutely necessary - I just feel better doing so, thinking of all the people who have potentially handled it.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7330213/c...faces-experts/
:)

I just leave things a couple of days on the shelf before using, & wash hands after handling fridge/frozen stuff. I don't bother wiping anything now, but I was doing that a year ago.

BristolUK Apr 8th 2021 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by printer (Post 12992536)
I am not aware of any specific data that suggests touching groceries or other stuff is causing spread or illness. I believe this is still a very limited possibility that was initially a concern but has since dropped down the list of potential threats.

And yet when I had my first jab on Tuesday, the chairs in the recovery area are wiped down after you use one; the conveyor belts are swabbed down between use at the supermarkets with the number pads done similarly etc

I agree the risk is not great but these things are still done.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 8th 2021 4:39 pm

In the US they seemed to have stopped all that, long time since I have seen that done.

Danny B Apr 8th 2021 10:46 pm

How long before the PHO shuts down BC? My guess is within 2 weeks at this rate.

I better check how much loo roll I have left before people start panic buying again.

printer Apr 8th 2021 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12992735)
And yet when I had my first jab on Tuesday, the chairs in the recovery area are wiped down after you use one; the conveyor belts are swabbed down between use at the supermarkets with the number pads done similarly etc

Agreed it used to happen but lately i am noticing it less and less. The other day we were in Presidents Choice and there was something all over the belt, sugar, flour i am not sure but until we asked she was not going to wipe it. Also notice coffee shops not cleaning all tables well after each use, again some do but often limited staff and nobody keeps a check, we have asked several times for a cloth to wipe table and then somebody springs into action. One store in the mall was super careful and wiped counter after every customer and debit machine too but this seems to be a small percentage now. Maybe since our numbers are increasing we will see it more

Siouxie Apr 8th 2021 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by printer (Post 12992924)
Agreed it used to happen but lately i am noticing it less and less. The other day we were in Presidents Choice and there was something all over the belt, sugar, flour i am not sure but until we asked she was not going to wipe it. Also notice coffee shops not cleaning all tables well after each use, again some do but often limited staff and nobody keeps a check, we have asked several times for a cloth to wipe table and then somebody springs into action. One store in the mall was super careful and wiped counter after every customer and debit machine too but this seems to be a small percentage now. Maybe since our numbers are increasing we will see it more

Or maybe our numbers are increasing because the percentage cleaning have reduced..

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 8th 2021 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12992914)
How long before the PHO shuts down BC? My guess is within 2 weeks at this rate.

I better check how much loo roll I have left before people start panic buying again.

Will be interesting. I thought once we got north of 1,000 they would do more, but who knows at this point.

Workplaces now will be shut down if 3 or more employees test positive, Work Safe will close such workplaces for 10 days, some like grocery stores, police departments, fire departments are exempt.

Howe Sound area last week had 410 positive cases, 1% of the population.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ril8-1.5979936

bats Apr 9th 2021 12:14 am

They've never done it in our nearest supermarket.

Jerseygirl Apr 9th 2021 12:18 am

That is still done here, along with sanitizing all carts/baskets and the constant wiping down of freezer handles etc.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 9th 2021 12:31 am

I would think restricting capacity in stores would be more effective than randomly cleaning things in the store but have it packed to the gills.

Can't say I have noticed any of the big box stores doing capacity reductions at any meaningful level, some smaller stores do, but the big stores don't seem to care.

printer Apr 9th 2021 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12992931)
Will be interesting. I thought once we got north of 1,000 they would do more, but who knows at this point.

Workplaces now will be shut down if 3 or more employees test positive, Work Safe will close such workplaces for 10 days, some like grocery stores, police departments, fire departments are exempt.

Howe Sound area last week had 410 positive cases, 1% of the population.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ril8-1.5979936

So i am ok then as there are only 2 of us. :lol:

Jerseygirl Apr 9th 2021 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12992950)
I would think restricting capacity in stores would be more effective than randomly cleaning things in the store but have it packed to the gills.

Can't say I have noticed any of the big box stores doing capacity reductions at any meaningful level, some smaller stores do, but the big stores don't seem to care.

The stores I have been in throughout pandemic, mostly supermarkets and pharmacies, have had very few customers inside. I would say 95% of the time I can walk straight up to the checkout. All the stores, including big box stores, have someone on the door counting people in and out.

Danny B Apr 9th 2021 1:11 am

The rate of Covid infections in Canada is edging close to - and may overtake - US levels for the first time. :eek:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56644466

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 9th 2021 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12992957)
The stores I have been in throughout pandemic, mostly supermarkets and pharmacies, have had very few customers inside. I would say 95% of the time I can walk straight up to the checkout. All the stores, including big box stores, have someone on the door counting people in and out.

Yeah it's not like that where I go, stores are just as busy as they always were.

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12992960)
The rate of Covid infections in Canada is edging close to - and may overtake - US levels for the first time. :eek:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56644466

If you want to compared provinces and states individually CTV has a good list they update.

According to this link Canada had 7,984 new cases today.

California new cases 2,093 as per California Public Health tweet update today.

California is 39.5 million population similiar to Canadas.

Jerseygirl Apr 9th 2021 2:46 pm

Ontario: 4,227 cases yesterday...2nd highest number to date. 18 deaths.

No doubt cases will rise even more in the coming weeks, with the Easter/spring break fall out.

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-re...nths-1.5380910

Siouxie Apr 9th 2021 3:12 pm

I wish that Ontario (and Canadian authorities in general) would stop counting every positive test result as a 'case', particularly now they are using the rapid test kits at so many places, rather than the PCR tests which are less likely to give a false positive result. Shouldn't the number of people who are showing symptoms / have been hospitalised / are in ICU be the standard for determining how many cases there are?

Is a positive test result of relevance if the person is asymptomatic?

interesting stats and info
https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data/hospitalizations
https://www.publichealthontario.ca/e...l?tab=labTests
https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...nt=firefox-b-d

Highlights
• There are a total of 367,602 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ontario reported to date.
• Compared to the previous day, this represents:
• An increase of 3,065 confirmed cases (percent change of +4.3%)
• An increase of 8 deaths (percent change of -20.0%)
• An increase of 1,976 resolved cases (percent change of +12.2%)

BristolUK Apr 9th 2021 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12993162)
Shouldn't the number of people who are showing symptoms / have been hospitalised / are in ICU be the standard for determining how many cases there are?

Yes, in terms of the effect of Covid on an individual

Is a positive test result of relevance if the person is asymptomatic?
Yes, in terms of Covid's ability to spread.

Not having the latter included in some way helps the just flu/it's a hoax loonies who want to downplay it.

It's also known that 'long covid' may also affect those with positive test results who were asymptomatic. :ohmy:

Teaandtoday5 Apr 9th 2021 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12993181)

It's also known that 'long covid' may also affect those with positive test results who were asymptomatic. :ohmy:

Really? Where did you read that? Presumably that would mean it could affect people who don’t even realise they have had it too?

BristolUK Apr 9th 2021 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12993202)
Really? Where did you read that? Presumably that would mean it could affect people who don’t even realise they have had it too?

It seemed a logical conclusion from other things I'd read so I googled long covid asymptomatic and found a few results including WebMD which I believe is a legit medical site, but there were plenty of others

Researchers who have scanned the hearts and lungs of people who tested positive for COVID-19, but never felt ill, have seen telltale signs of distress.

In the lungs, scientists have reported cloudy white areas called “ground glass opacities” in asymptomatic patients. Ground glass opacities are also seen patients with more severe COVID-19.
There's more here which I don't really understand.

And the following from Mayo.

"This is a disease that has a number of mysteries involved, compared to the usual respiratory virus," says Dr. Gregory Poland, a COVID-19 expert at Mayo Clinic. "On the one hand, we see very severe but variable manifestations. On the other hand, (we see) infection without symptoms. We also see a diminution of immunity over time with this coronavirus."

What's just starting to emerge, according to Dr. Poland, is this idea of COVID-19 "long-haulers," which is a term used to describe people who develop long-term and ongoing complications.

"We're really seeing a number of reports of people who report long-term fatigue, headaches, vertigo (and), interestingly enough, difficulties with cognition, hair loss, cardiac issues, and diminished cardiorespiratory fitness. And I think what we're going to find out is that a large portion ― not all, but a large portion of that ― is likely to relate to the significant cellular-level damage that this virus can cause," says Dr. Poland.

Some of the possible long-term effects can affect even patients who are asymptomatic or have mild cases of COVID-19.
A New York Times report, possibly behind a paywall has

Many ‘Long Covid’ Patients Had No Symptoms From Their Initial Infection An analysis of electronic medical records in California found that 32 percent started with asymptomatic infections but reported troubling after effects weeks and months later....including anxiety, low back pain, fatigue, insomnia, gastrointestinal problems and rapid heart rate

Teaandtoday5 Apr 9th 2021 6:57 pm

:eek: :(

Jerseygirl Apr 11th 2021 3:55 pm

Record high 4,456 cases in Ontario yesterday. Mobile units are being sent to high risk areas to begin vaccinating under 18s. Many of the sick are now younger people.

Shard Apr 11th 2021 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12993856)
Record high 4,456 cases in Ontario yesterday. Mobile units are being sent to high risk areas to begin vaccinating under 18s. Many of the sick are now younger people.

It does sound serious out there. I looked at the cases chart and it seems to spike in January and again now. My thought is WTF do so many not understand the concept of a highly transmissable virus. Here in Blighty a major easing of restrictions (shops/pubs etc) happens tomorrow. Hopefully we will not be pursuing a similar pattern, but who knows. The "going out" segment of the population (under 40s) is largely unvaccinated, and even amongst the vaccinated, efficacy is supposedly 70% on the first shot.

Jerseygirl Apr 11th 2021 5:11 pm

People were lining up at 4am this morning for 9 am appointments at one of the mobile units. I don’t get it...surely at 9am only people who have a 9am appointment are call for vaxx. If so why are they lining up at 4 am? :confused:

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12993883)
It does sound serious out there. I looked at the cases chart and it seems to spike in January and again now. My thought is WTF do so many not understand the concept of a highly transmissable virus. Here in Blighty a major easing of restrictions (shops/pubs etc) happens tomorrow. Hopefully we will not be pursuing a similar pattern, but who knows. The "going out" segment of the population (under 40s) is largely unvaccinated, and even amongst the vaccinated, efficacy is supposedly 70% on the first shot.

Our numbers per 1M have always been well below most countries. Many people are now walking around unmasked. We are on full lockdown again. I suspect the numbers will rise in the next couple of weeks...fall out from Easter and Spring Break.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 11th 2021 5:54 pm

For a comparison, California with 39 million people only reported 4,466 new cases yesterday.

Jerseygirl Apr 11th 2021 6:27 pm

Just heard that a multi generational family has the virus. Husband and Wife (mid 30s), daughter (3 yrs old), Wife’s mother and father. They have all tested positive. Husband is in ICU with breathing problems, he will probably be transferred out of area to London, Ont. It is thought he caught it from work...works for a large delivery company. The wife is exhausted and can barely function. The little girl and grandma have no symptoms...she is looking after the girl. The granddad has a temp, aches. They had the vaccine towards the end of March but tested positive a week later.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 11th 2021 8:22 pm

Residents and those who work in Whistler 18+ will be eligible starting tomorrow.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...ce19a8236.jpeg

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 11th 2021 8:46 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...riant-whistler

The Whistler Blackcomb ski resort was shut down by provincial authorities at the end of March after they realised that P1, the highly infectious coronavirus variant traced back to Brazil, was spreading rapidly throughout the community.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 11th 2021 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12993951)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...riant-whistler

The Whistler Blackcomb ski resort was shut down by provincial authorities at the end of March after they realised that P1, the highly infectious coronavirus variant traced back to Brazil, was spreading rapidly throughout the community.

The most P1 cases outside of Brazil.

Revin Kevin Apr 11th 2021 9:45 pm

Reading all these reports does make me question the logic of Canada's very strict border arrangements whilst at the same time waving across truck drivers, fruit pickers, cross border workers etc :confused:

BristolUK Apr 11th 2021 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12993973)
Reading all these reports does make me question the logic of Canada's very strict border arrangements whilst at the same time waving across truck drivers, fruit pickers, cross border workers etc :confused:

Unnecessary travel/personal gain only Vs necessary travel/Community and society gain.

printer Apr 12th 2021 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12993883)

Looking at some pictures in the media for pub goers that started queueing at midnight it looked like same old story, no distancing, few masks and large crowds and this is only the first few hours. Apparently tomorrow is the most popular day off for many, according to media of course.

vinegarboy Apr 12th 2021 1:46 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12993981)
Unnecessary travel/personal gain only Vs necessary travel/Community and society gain.

Canada benefits by snowbirds having gotten fully vaccinated in the U.S., thus freeing-up doses for fellow Canadians (owing to plainly evident incomoetence in the planning, procurement, & distribution of vaccines by career PH bureaucrats & politicians).

And the viral variants themselves of course differentiate not between border-crossing sapiens, whether "essential" or non.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 12th 2021 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12993973)

This article today in Vancouver Sun.

"More than 100 passengers arriving at Vancouver International Airport have refused to quarantine at a government-authorized hotel since the “mandatory” three-day quarantine was introduced on Feb. 22."

"Those people face up to $3,000 a day in fines, Jarbeau said. A three-night stay in a GAA costs around $2,500."

Between Feb. 22 and April 6, almost 176,000 travellers by air and land across Canada were tested for COVID upon arrival. Of those, 2,282 tested positive for COVID-19

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...l-quarantine?r

Revin Kevin Apr 12th 2021 4:42 pm

[QUOTE=Jsmth321;12994021]This article today in Vancouver Sun.

"More than 100 passengers arriving at Vancouver International Airport have refused to quarantine at a government-authorized hotel since the “mandatory” three-day quarantine was introduced on Feb. 22."

"Those people face up to $3,000 a day in fines, Jarbeau said. A three-night stay in a GAA costs around $2,500."

Between Feb. 22 and April 6, almost 176,000 travellers by air and land across Canada were tested for COVID upon arrival. Of those, 2,282 tested positive for COVID-19

The testing margin for error is about 1/1000. As you're supposed to provide a negative test prior to boarding I would question just how genuine some of these pre flight tests were.

Shard Apr 12th 2021 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by printer (Post 12994012)
Looking at some pictures in the media for pub goers that started queueing at midnight it looked like same old story, no distancing, few masks and large crowds and this is only the first few hours. Apparently tomorrow is the most popular day off for many, according to media of course.

Indeed. The fact that the pubs are currentlyrestricted to outdoors is a mitigation (although I don't quite understand the logic of marquees being considered ok). Once indoor dining/drinking is re-opened (mid May) that will be the real test.

vinegarboy Apr 12th 2021 5:04 pm

[QUOTE=Revin Kevin;12994295]

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12994021)
This article today in Vancouver Sun.

The testing margin for error is about 1/1000. As you're supposed to provide a negative test prior to boarding I would question just how genuine some of these pre flight tests were.

So that means that on the average there'll be about one person per flight who'll have the virus (presumably unknowingly), which essentially means that all airport arrivals will probably have been exposed during boarding, in-flight, or while deplaning, right?

BristolUK Apr 12th 2021 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 12994017)
Canada benefits by snowbirds having gotten fully vaccinated in the U.S., thus freeing-up doses for fellow Canadians (owing to plainly evident incomoetence in the planning, procurement, & distribution of vaccines by career PH bureaucrats & politicians).

Non arrival has zero to do with competence. You'd do better not to generalise.

And the viral variants themselves of course differentiate not between border-crossing sapiens, whether "essential" or non.
So it's quite a good idea not to have all and sundry crossing then. Would you prefer to have everyone crossing making it even worse or nobody crossing with the loss of foodstuffs etc?

vinegarboy Apr 12th 2021 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12994345)
Non arrival has zero to do with competence. You'd do better not to generalise.

So it's quite a good idea not to have all and sundry crossing then. Would you prefer to have everyone crossing making it even worse or nobody crossing with the loss of foodstuffs etc?

"Non arrival" simply means that the orders likely went to someone else with more proficiently persuasive influence than our national reps in Ottawa & our diplomats abroad.

Goods crossing borders can & should be being handed-over to relay drivers at the border.

BristolUK Apr 12th 2021 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 12994354)
"Non arrival" simply means that the orders likely went to someone else with more proficiently persuasive influence than our national reps in Ottawa & our diplomats abroad.

No, it means that the vaccines were ordered from Europe and the producers shut down for a period to speed up production later but halting production in the short term.
So there was a short term delay in a vaccine program which we've now seen sped up.

Goods crossing borders can & should be being handed-over to relay drivers at the border.
I suspect that might push up the costs considerably.

vinegarboy Apr 12th 2021 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12994358)
No, it means that the vaccines were ordered from Europe and the producers shut down for a period to speed up production later but halting production in the short term.
So there was a short term delay in a vaccine program which we've now seen sped up.

I suspect that might push up the costs considerably.

(1.) Non private sector background naivete, & (2.) Smokescreening BS.