Wikiposts

March Applicants

Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

The howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant future
Default Re: March Applicants

Originally Posted by SeaninOzalready
Hi teryna,

I hope that the moving plans are going well. Just at work now and have some time on hands before going home early to a BBQ and then the fireworks later on this evening. Lucky our friends have a flat overlooking the harbour, so we can watch in peace (not to mention BBQ and drink) without being crushed by the masses below.

I may have mentioned this before, and at the risk of being labelled a know it all, these are my observations as to prices in Oz. Firstly the OH and I both took rather big pay cuts to come out here (my bonuses are not as big out here and she does not have a bonus scheme any longer). Still alcohol is more or less the same price as the UK in Sydney and Melbourne anyway you will pay around $9 for a decent glass of wine and $4 a schooner or $6.50 or more a pint (where you can find these). You do however get happy hours and light alcohol is universally cheaper as booze is taxed here according to the strength (I find though that in the heat I prefer light beers). Wine in the supermarket is a little more than the UK for the same bottle (Crazy I know), but this is a tax thing again.

Food: I find that on some occassions I spend more than I would in the UK for a weekly shop (but then this is due to Oz importing very little and being dependent on the weather- drought = higher food prices). hence from week to week your food bill can vary by up to 40%. Worth shopping around though at Aldi and similar places if they are near you.

Eating out can be expensive if you go for upper end restaurants, but then surf clubs and RSLs do decent steaks for $6 and you can often BYO which makes things that much cheaper.

Utilities and Foxtel:
Bills are competitive (and you won't need heating), but then depending on how often you have your aircon on, you may find the electric bill is that much steeper. I am with Tru energy (not bad), but if you are concerned, worth shopping around.

Foxtel is not a neccesity unless you want UK TV and the premiership football (I only have it for the rugby and to get a decent international news bulletin and Bloomberg) Look at $38 for basic package and then around $17 extra for sports and $17 for UK TV etc.

Petrol is much cheaper than the UK, but then again it is all relative once you stop converting and are earning dollars.

Private Health cover is not bad and by having it, you will offset having to pay the Medicare Levy in your tax return. I only have the very basic cover and accident cover for extreme sports as don't get sick that often. You will probably know alot more about this than me as will your mates in your hospital.

Property prices in all the major areas (count Sydney, melbourne, Perth, the Goldie, Sunshine Coast, Brissie and even Darwin into this) are very expensive. Friends of mine bought in Brissie in a very nice subburb 4 years ago (3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, garage, garden and pool) for $350 000. They recently had it valued at $1.1 million. Still a steal when you consider that is only 400 000 quid. Rents in areas like Bundy will go up over the December/Jan period as this is peak holiday season and people want to cash in as much as possible in this time. Feb time they will come down again when schools go back. Food prices in the coast areas will also go up over that period and then stabilise when the hoiday makers leave (it's a rort I know but everyone has to make a living I suppose).

The thing with buying in Oz is also to monitor the auctions in the area you want to live in (go to a few just for the experience initially) it is great fun seeing all the neighbours come out to see what their property could be worth.

Last but by no means least- the salaries. I was chatting to a cross section of mates on xmas day as to what is liveable in Oz. The papers are reporting that young singles or a couple should be on at least $140 000 combined income to afford a house in the major cities. This is mad since the national average wage is only around $52000 I think.

We settled on a household income of $150 000 for a family with kids to send to school. This would seem to be in unison with the income of alot of households in the UK ie. 60 000 quid or thereabouts. You will be lucky though as by the sounds of it, your kids will be working over here to. That said, I have some mates who are getting by on $40 000 (they don't have much social life and don't save that much, but they get by).

My advice to your son (or even daughter) would be to consider plumbing. There is an extreme shortage in this place and a report the other day said some are charging up to $1000 a day. Good money if you can get it.

In short, Oz is not cheap, but then it is all relative and you can't buy the lifestyle etc if you embrace it fully.

Good luck all- I hope this has been of some use.

Enjoy your new year.

Cheers
Thanks ever so much for that! Its good (but slightly) worrying reading!
its great to get different peoples take on things! only 6 days til we come out now......
Happy new year to you all.xx
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

loubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by The howellers
Thanks ever so much for that! Its good (but slightly) worrying reading!
its great to get different peoples take on things! only 6 days til we come out now......
Happy new year to you all.xx
Hiya, Good luck for the big move! and happy new year to you.........loux
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future

Im having a bad day trying to fit my life into a 20kg suitcase is no joke the house is it bits waiting for the packers Ive got a cold and Im wondering why Im doing this I must be mad. I know its just part of the course but I feel crap today and so tired I just want my life back moan over it will pass just a last minute panic! by the way can you take aerosols in your main baggage got loads of mozzy spray cnat fit it into 7kg hand luggage its all the papers we are having to take.

Have a great New Year everyone xx Trudi
Old Dec 31st 2007, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sophjam
Im having a bad day trying to fit my life into a 20kg suitcase is no joke the house is it bits waiting for the packers Ive got a cold and Im wondering why Im doing this I must be mad. I know its just part of the course but I feel crap today and so tired I just want my life back moan over it will pass just a last minute panic! by the way can you take aerosols in your main baggage got loads of mozzy spray cnat fit it into 7kg hand luggage its all the papers we are having to take.

sorry Trudi, when i wished everyone a safe journey etc i left you out - sorry.

All the best and let us know how you get on

Sam xx
Old Dec 31st 2007, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lornagoingtobrissy
Hi Sj

How was your hang over?
Good to talk to you tho

Lorna
What do you mean i was stone cold sober and on pop!!!!

ditto x

Originally Posted by sammyg
Bloody hell! What am i doing here

Anyway, how's the sunshine coast living up to expectations for you all s-j? Have there been many jobs available for si?

Come on, more detail please...
Aw Sam its amazing! we love it, Si starts work in a couple of weeks, however still not sure who to work for, had a few offers.. got to weigh it all up i guess.. .. ..

on the sunny coast stuff not as expensive as Sydney with what sean says though.

you can get land for around $220 in the glasshouse mountains, beerwah. buderim is around $280 for a smaller plot. but you can buy land a lot cheaper if you look around. its only a matter of time before it all increases.

renting is good to save money initially and lets you figure out which area you want to be in. car insurance is a bit cheaper here and house insurance about the same. food can be a bit cheaper and obviously petrol is currently around the $1.25 a ltr mark. we have a 3.5 pajero and to fill it it costs $100.

eating out is cheaper than uk and wine here on SC is cheaper than uk. i spend around $14 ish a bottle and in UK was around £8. boxes are well cheap and if you buy 6 bottles from BWS bottle shop you get 10% off. you get a bottle of jimbeam whiskey for $33 70cl.

Telstra has cheaper calls than BT. AON for electric here in MT Creek. Water inc in rent and no rates to pay either. renting def cheaper. i know peep who've bought and rent it, then rent themselves in better house for money, and still getting on the property ladder...

Clothes quality is ok, love surf shops, si just bought some surfing gear and its good value. he loves body boarding.. i have a go but nearly drown everytime.

we havent really spent any money for ages as we just go out for a drive and take packup and head for beach.. so you can live a full lifestyle without much cash if you want and are careful. there are bbq's all over for just a few cents to power em up...

our surf club does a meat roast dinner for $13.50 and its gorg. seafood dinner for about $20. think its one of the best surf clubs on sunshine coast (mooloolaba) quite nice decor and not scruffy, always a massive line for lunch/dinner. quite fussy about dress code etc.

Thai up here is amazing too. we are very lucky and live next door to the woman who owns Thai Siam in Mooloolaba, enough said!

Abi gets on with the Aussie kids fine, we have to tell em shes not playing a few times as they are constantly at the door.

neighbours friendly not overpowering but have made themselves known. (just how i like it)

Have met up with quite a few off expats and as your all in a similar spot in your lives its nice to share the experiences, but have met Aussies too. (not to same level thou)

Plenty of work here in childcare, hairdressing/beauty it seems, trades defo. lots of casual labour around but not sure if its just cos of hol season......

only one thing to say now, we were all due to watch the fireworks at the beach and panto and stuff, live band etc.... thanks to the cyclone it was cancelled though, but went down this morning as the surf was huge!!! they're was even silly boys on their boards... the coastguards are getting pissed off with them for risking their lives too though...

Well, enjoy your new years guys, take care,

S-j xxxx

early days but OZ ROCKS!! it's the best thing we have ever done and i hope it lasts a lifetime!

good luck and smooth trip to those heading off soon.. go for it! xx
Old Dec 31st 2007, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Bundaberg the land of Rum from south wales the land of song!
bundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nice

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe

ditto x

Aw Sam its amazing! we love it, Si starts work in a couple of weeks, however still not sure who to work for, had a few offers.. got to weigh it all up i guess.. .. ..

you can get land for around $220 in the glasshouse mountains, beerwah. buderim is around $280 for a smaller plot. but you can buy land a lot cheaper if you look around. its only a matter of time before it all increases.

renting is good to save money initially and lets you figure out which area you want to be in. car insurance is a bit cheaper here and house insurance about the same. food can be a bit cheaper and obviously petrol is currently around the $1.25 a ltr mark. we have a 3.5 pajero and to fill it it costs $100.

eating out is cheaper than uk and wine here on SC is cheaper than uk. i spend around $14 ish a bottle and in UK was around £8. boxes are well cheap and if you buy 6 bottles from BWS bottle shop you get 10% off. you get a bottle of jimbeam whiskey for $33 70cl.

Telstra has cheaper calls than BT. AON for electric here in MT Creek. Water inc in rent and no rates to pay either. renting def cheaper. i know peep who've bought and rent it, then rent themselves in better house for money, and still getting on the property ladder...

Clothes quality is ok, love surf shops, si just bought some surfing gear and its good value. he loves body boarding.. i have a go but nearly drown everytime.

we havent really spent any money for ages as we just go out for a drive and take packup and head for beach.. so you can live a full lifestyle without much cash if you want and are careful. there are bbq's all over for just a few cents to power em up...

our surf club does a meat roast dinner for $13.50 and its gorg. seafood dinner for about $20. think its one of the best surf clubs on sunshine coast (mooloolaba) quite nice decor and not scruffy, always a massive line for lunch/dinner. quite fussy about dress code etc.

Thai up here is amazing too. we are very lucky and live next door to the woman who owns Thai Siam in Mooloolaba, enough said!

Abi gets on with the Aussie kids fine, we have to tell em shes not playing a few times as they are constantly at the door.

neighbours friendly not overpowering but have made themselves known. (just how i like it)

Have met up with quite a few off expats and as your all in a similar spot in your lives its nice to share the experiences, but have met Aussies too. (not to same level thou)

Plenty of work here in childcare, hairdressing/beauty it seems, trades defo. lots of casual labour around but not sure if its just cos of hol season......

only one thing to say now, we were all due to watch the fireworks at the beach and panto and stuff, live band etc.... thanks to the cyclone it was cancelled though, but went down this morning as the surf was huge!!! they're was even silly boys on their boards... the coastguards are getting pissed off with them for risking their lives too though...

S-j xxxx

early days but OZ ROCKS!! it's the best thing we have ever done and i hope it lasts a lifetime!

Brilliant post s-j glad to hear youre loving it. Me and OH startig to get nervous and the never ending round of goodbyes have commenced it seems saying goodbye once to some people is just not enough!!
Im glad to here mooloolaba is so nice we visited it once on our first visit to oz. I originally wanted to move there after watching a living downunder serious that followed a family who had moved there. We have tasted the lush Sunday roast at the surf club and remember the strict dress code.
We leave for Bundaberg one week today strikes permitting of course and reading your post i wish it was today.Youve put my mind at rest re the cost of living thankyou.
Have you tried a bundyrum and coke yet?

All the best for 2008 and keep in touch
Teryna

Last edited by bundybell; Dec 31st 2007 at 10:25 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Alright Teryna,

we got sick of saying goodbye! couldnt wait to leave on that day we had around 20ish rellies in our lounge while trying to finalise arrangements and they all wanted a one to one chat over a cuppa for half an hour. needless to say it didnt happen!

Good luck hon, weather still not good here i'm afraid.. there's now another cyclone heading our way but they're not sure when its gonna hit yet.... :-(

More crappy weather and lots of much needed water to pump down to those in brissie......

S-j x
Old Dec 31st 2007, 11:30 pm
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Alright Teryna,

we got sick of saying goodbye! couldnt wait to leave on that day we had around 20ish rellies in our lounge while trying to finalise arrangements and they all wanted a one to one chat over a cuppa for half an hour. needless to say it didnt happen!

Good luck hon, weather still not good here i'm afraid.. there's now another cyclone heading our way but they're not sure when its gonna hit yet.... :-(

More crappy weather and lots of much needed water to pump down to those in brissie......

S-j x
great post love, glad it's all going swimmingly

well I know we've been set on QLD and especially the Cairns area, but yesterday we found a great business for our price range, but it's in North NSW, 20 mins from Byron bay, it's really lovely, I try post a link so you guys can see what we're doing.....

anyway it's started us widening our horizons at least

Hope everyone had a great night last night
Old Dec 31st 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

The howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant future

ditto x

S-j xxxx

Fab post!! So glad you like it (its good to hear!!)feeling a bit rough. bed 3am after mega booze session, 3 year old up at 7!!sorting house now, taking down tree and cards..6 days to go!!!

Happy new year, good luck to everyone off soon!!!xxxx
Old Jan 1st 2008, 12:01 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sophjam

Are you feeling better now love? How come you didn't fly with one of the airlines that give you the extra luggage?

Has anybody sent or posted a box of stuff that you want to get there before you container, like stuff you can't do with out...

Or to those who have already left....what items would you have put in a package like this?
Old Jan 1st 2008, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

bundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nice

Originally Posted by The howellers
Fab post!! So glad you like it (its good to hear!!)feeling a bit rough. bed 3am after mega booze session, 3 year old up at 7!!sorting house now, taking down tree and cards..6 days to go!!!

Happy new year, good luck to everyone off soon!!!xxxx
We are taking down decs too feeling a little fragile aswell. its a week today till we go!!

Anyone know if quantas allows extra baggage on domestic flights.
Weve just realised its ok taking 40kg with singapore but what about the domestic with quantas from Brisbane

Teryna
Old Jan 1st 2008, 12:15 am
live free or die

Originally Posted by bundybell
We are taking down decs too feeling a little fragile aswell. its a week today till we go!!

Anyone know if quantas allows extra baggage on domestic flights.
Weve just realised its ok taking 40kg with singapore but what about the domestic with quantas from Brisbane

Teryna
http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...baggageChecked

check that love.....Are the trimmings supposed to come down today?

can't believe you off soo soon
Old Jan 1st 2008, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Alright Teryna,

S-j x
s-j,
Im feeling a little fragile this morning shall i say.to much lager and didnt get in till 2.30. stayed of the wine because i wouldnt be communicating with you now if i had!! as you may remember loads to do.
It will be nice to get there thats if the domestics are flying if a cyclone is about to hit!!!
Just my luck when im about to move to the sunshine it dissapears ! lovelyO

Well best go and have a shower ive got to collect my car and the OH is hoovering just what my head needed a?

Teryna
Old Jan 1st 2008, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by welshviking
http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...baggageChecked

check that love.....Are the trimmings supposed to come down today?

can't believe you off soo soon
no not supposed to come down today but got to get rid of everything time running out.
thanks for the link OH will check it out
Teryna
Old Jan 1st 2008, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

loubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by welshviking
great post love, glad it's all going swimmingly

well I know we've been set on QLD and especially the Cairns area, but yesterday we found a great business for our price range, but it's in North NSW, 20 mins from Byron bay, it's really lovely, I try post a link so you guys can see what we're doing.....

anyway it's started us widening our horizons at least

Hope everyone had a great night last night
I have heard that Byron Bay is beautiful with a fantastic Alternative community and fantastic markets. and not far from the queensland boarder really! good luck with whatever you do hun! loux

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.