Wikiposts

March Applicants

Old Jan 1st 2008, 12:22 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: March Applicants

Be quiet you bunch of lightweights I went to bed and 5.30...ok I don't have kids to get up to though...
Old Jan 1st 2008, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Sianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
Oh well pleased for you.........bout time really.......i dnt think you should have that long to wait just msake sure you email your CO and tell em that your meds are at LCU.

Nice one
Thanks KOH. The bloody CO forgot to attach anything to their email, so until they get back in contact we can't contact them! Typical. Well I guess we've waited this long, and the house hasn't sold yet so no hurry

Hope everyone had a good Christmas BTW, haven't been on in ages.x
Old Jan 1st 2008, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely update SJ
Keep them coming!!

We have decided against a leaving party now, it's more money and more emotional stress!!

Well, Happy New Year everyone!!

Most of us have our visa now and some of us are already there,...so cheers to a new life down under guys!

Lets put the year of visa stress behind us and build ourselves up for the adventure

Good Luck guys, lets hope it's a good one

Sam xxxxxxx

Last edited by sammyg; Jan 1st 2008 at 4:08 am.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

rosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nice

Here here.

Here's to 2008 in Austalia
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:36 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, you know i've been looking at Singapore Airlines and can't find anywhere that says about the extra luggage?

Can anyone shed any light on this please?
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe
What do you mean i was stone cold sober and on pop!!!!

ditto x

Aw Sam its amazing! we love it, Si starts work in a couple of weeks, however still not sure who to work for, had a few offers.. got to weigh it all up i guess.. .. ..

on the sunny coast stuff not as expensive as Sydney with what sean says though.

you can get land for around $220 in the glasshouse mountains, beerwah. buderim is around $280 for a smaller plot. but you can buy land a lot cheaper if you look around. its only a matter of time before it all increases.

renting is good to save money initially and lets you figure out which area you want to be in. car insurance is a bit cheaper here and house insurance about the same. food can be a bit cheaper and obviously petrol is currently around the $1.25 a ltr mark. we have a 3.5 pajero and to fill it it costs $100.

eating out is cheaper than uk and wine here on SC is cheaper than uk. i spend around $14 ish a bottle and in UK was around £8. boxes are well cheap and if you buy 6 bottles from BWS bottle shop you get 10% off. you get a bottle of jimbeam whiskey for $33 70cl.

Telstra has cheaper calls than BT. AON for electric here in MT Creek. Water inc in rent and no rates to pay either. renting def cheaper. i know peep who've bought and rent it, then rent themselves in better house for money, and still getting on the property ladder...

Clothes quality is ok, love surf shops, si just bought some surfing gear and its good value. he loves body boarding.. i have a go but nearly drown everytime.

we havent really spent any money for ages as we just go out for a drive and take packup and head for beach.. so you can live a full lifestyle without much cash if you want and are careful. there are bbq's all over for just a few cents to power em up...

our surf club does a meat roast dinner for $13.50 and its gorg. seafood dinner for about $20. think its one of the best surf clubs on sunshine coast (mooloolaba) quite nice decor and not scruffy, always a massive line for lunch/dinner. quite fussy about dress code etc.

Thai up here is amazing too. we are very lucky and live next door to the woman who owns Thai Siam in Mooloolaba, enough said!

Abi gets on with the Aussie kids fine, we have to tell em shes not playing a few times as they are constantly at the door.

neighbours friendly not overpowering but have made themselves known. (just how i like it)

Have met up with quite a few off expats and as your all in a similar spot in your lives its nice to share the experiences, but have met Aussies too. (not to same level thou)

Plenty of work here in childcare, hairdressing/beauty it seems, trades defo. lots of casual labour around but not sure if its just cos of hol season......

only one thing to say now, we were all due to watch the fireworks at the beach and panto and stuff, live band etc.... thanks to the cyclone it was cancelled though, but went down this morning as the surf was huge!!! they're was even silly boys on their boards... the coastguards are getting pissed off with them for risking their lives too though...

Well, enjoy your new years guys, take care,

S-j xxxx

early days but OZ ROCKS!! it's the best thing we have ever done and i hope it lasts a lifetime!

good luck and smooth trip to those heading off soon.. go for it! xx
hey S-J,

I am so glad that things are panning out well. It is great news. I did not want to scare anyone, just provide an accurate perspective of how I see things.

We don't regret it either and find that if you are clever with your money then you can save quite abit anyway. We can always consider somewhere like Singapore to top up the coffers once the passports come through in 4 years. We will be 32 then, but still relatively young enough for 2 years in the East.

Anyways things that I forgot:

Gyms: They are cheaper here and you get much better quality. I was paying 80 quid in London at Cannons and now pay $80 for the same quality here at Fitness First.

It is very true that the property up the coast is a lot cheaper, in fact we have been looking into investment/holiday property up there, but at this stage of my life, I am not ready for that move. We still like to have access to international bands (can't wait for the Police later this month) and great bars and restaurants here in Sydney. OH also loves having her boutiques (not cheap and we always have a falling out about this), but then I suppose she works hard enough and one of the conditions when we moved was that she did not drop her living standards. The one thing we do still fight about is the lack of M & S as she loves that place so much that to the extent that when I go to HK on work, I have to go to M & S out there for her...

Imported clothes are much of a muchness- Diesel jeans in UK 100 quid ($289 over here). Cds are cheaper on the whole.

Sports clothes and trainers are more expensive for good quality, but then you get more variety than in JJB sports. Another observation here is that most people buying sports gear here actually use it to play sports whereas in the UK people buy their trainers to wear down the pub with their mates.

Anyways for us an average relaxing day (and total outlay) would be:

Walk 30 mins to beach with packed lunch (take car if we have the surf ski with us).
Couple of hours on beach- couple of coffees ($7).

Walk home 30 mins.

Total cost- only the coffees and what we have for lunch. No petrol needed and an hours walk thrown in for good measure.

Rambling now- back to markets..

One last thing- took OH through a triathlon yesterday for good measure- she held up well but is still worried about how she will fair in NZ in competition. My secret plan is to get her ready to compete in London in 4 years. She is already super fit and even beats most blokes at our club now in her marathon times. Can't wait for her to really start kicking butts..Am so proud of her!

Take it easy all.

All the best S-J.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Groatie will become famous soon enoughGroatie will become famous soon enough

Happy 2008 to all Marchies still waiting. It can not be long now.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sophjam
Im having a bad day trying to fit my life into a 20kg suitcase is no joke the house is it bits waiting for the packers Ive got a cold and Im wondering why Im doing this I must be mad. I know its just part of the course but I feel crap today and so tired I just want my life back moan over it will pass just a last minute panic! by the way can you take aerosols in your main baggage got loads of mozzy spray cnat fit it into 7kg hand luggage its all the papers we are having to take.

Have a great New Year everyone xx Trudi
most airlines will give you 40kg, ring whoever you booked with and gets your tickets ammended to their emigration allowance.

Originally Posted by welshviking
great post love, glad it's all going swimmingly

well I know we've been set on QLD and especially the Cairns area, but yesterday we found a great business for our price range, but it's in North NSW, 20 mins from Byron bay, it's really lovely, I try post a link so you guys can see what we're doing.....

anyway it's started us widening our horizons at least

Hope everyone had a great night last night
My mate went to byron bay on her travels and she LURVED it, she loves the laid back lifestyle and said it was bloody gorg! good choice with the sounds of it.

Originally Posted by The howellers
Fab post!! So glad you like it (its good to hear!!)feeling a bit rough. bed 3am after mega booze session, 3 year old up at 7!!sorting house now, taking down tree and cards..6 days to go!!!

Happy new year, good luck to everyone off soon!!!xxxx
You raver!! you soooo need to fly up to QLD!!

Are you feeling better now love? How come you didn't fly with one of the airlines that give you the extra luggage?

Has anybody sent or posted a box of stuff that you want to get there before you container, like stuff you can't do with out...

Or to those who have already left....what items would you have put in a package like this?
The only thing i missed this xmas was a xmas cake as dont sell the traditional one here and xmas pud! the one i bought was crap!
heinz salad cream, cannot find it in any of the woollies or coles here, so will have to find a special shop... i love salad cream. but not bothered about anything else really, i hear gravy granules is a good one and i packed a shit load of pantene hair mousse for curls cos my hair loves it.. and i couldnt fit my hairdresser in my bag!!!!

Originally Posted by bundybell
We are taking down decs too feeling a little fragile aswell. its a week today till we go!!

Anyone know if quantas allows extra baggage on domestic flights.
Weve just realised its ok taking 40kg with singapore but what about the domestic with quantas from Brisbane

Teryna
Teryna i'd ring them, we thought we were ok with a printed email from singapore allowing 40kg, but when we looked at our tickets it said 20kg.. so i rang ebookers just before we set off for london to get it changed just to make sure we wouldnt get any hassles at the airport (with the 4kids in tow didnt want any drama's) and it took 4 hrs to sort out!!! printed em off and we left.. lucky we were stopping o/nite in london before flight next day...

So my advice is get your baggage allowance printed on your tickets, ebookers asked us for photocopies of our visa's and passport pages for all 6 of us... hence we didnt have a scanner or owt as shipped so had to drive to mums to borrow hers.... so sort it now if i were you xxx

Be quiet you bunch of lightweights I went to bed and 5.30...ok I don't have kids to get up to though...
party animal!!

[quote=sammyg;5726155]Lovely update SJ
Keep them coming!!

We have decided against a leaving party now, it's more money and more emotional stress!!

We just ended up shutting half the local up and all family and friends came there, just put crisps and nuts on etc and cost us around £80 with nibbles and put a load in the juke box. was a fab nite and so pleased we did it. everyone signed a little book that my mate did for us. we read it after we'd been here 3wks and it was lovely..... i cried twice, but so nice to see what everyone said about us and how we affected their lives etc...... good idea for those with time left...

anyone done it??

Well, keep up the good work everyone...

Especially Seans wife, think you two need to apply for that race around the world program for couples!!! its on tv at the moment..

S-j xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Jan 1st 2008, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sophjam
Im having a bad day trying to fit my life into a 20kg suitcase is no joke the house is it bits waiting for the packers Ive got a cold and Im wondering why Im doing this I must be mad. I know its just part of the course but I feel crap today and so tired I just want my life back moan over it will pass just a last minute panic! by the way can you take aerosols in your main baggage got loads of mozzy spray cnat fit it into 7kg hand luggage its all the papers we are having to take.

Have a great New Year everyone xx Trudi
most airlines will give you 40kg, ring whoever you booked with and gets your tickets ammended to their emigration allowance.

great post love, glad it's all going swimmingly

well I know we've been set on QLD and especially the Cairns area, but yesterday we found a great business for our price range, but it's in North NSW, 20 mins from Byron bay, it's really lovely, I try post a link so you guys can see what we're doing.....

anyway it's started us widening our horizons at least

Hope everyone had a great night last night
My mate went to byron bay on her travels and she LURVED it, she loves the laid back lifestyle and said it was bloody gorg! good choice with the sounds of it.

Originally Posted by The howellers
Fab post!! So glad you like it (its good to hear!!)feeling a bit rough. bed 3am after mega booze session, 3 year old up at 7!!sorting house now, taking down tree and cards..6 days to go!!!

Happy new year, good luck to everyone off soon!!!xxxx
You raver!! you soooo need to fly up to QLD!!

Are you feeling better now love? How come you didn't fly with one of the airlines that give you the extra luggage?

Has anybody sent or posted a box of stuff that you want to get there before you container, like stuff you can't do with out...

Or to those who have already left....what items would you have put in a package like this?
The only thing i missed this xmas was a xmas cake as dont sell the traditional one here and xmas pud! the one i bought was crap!
heinz salad cream, cannot find it in any of the woollies or coles here, so will have to find a special shop... i love salad cream. but not bothered about anything else really, i hear gravy granules is a good one and i packed a shit load of pantene hair mousse for curls cos my hair loves it.. and i couldnt fit my hairdresser in my bag!!!!

Originally Posted by bundybell
We are taking down decs too feeling a little fragile aswell. its a week today till we go!!

Anyone know if quantas allows extra baggage on domestic flights.
Weve just realised its ok taking 40kg with singapore but what about the domestic with quantas from Brisbane

Teryna
Teryna i'd ring them, we thought we were ok with a printed email from singapore allowing 40kg, but when we looked at our tickets it said 20kg.. so i rang ebookers just before we set off for london to get it changed just to make sure we wouldnt get any hassles at the airport (with the 4kids in tow didnt want any drama's) and it took 4 hrs to sort out!!! printed em off and we left.. lucky we were stopping o/nite in london before flight next day...

So my advice is get your baggage allowance printed on your tickets, ebookers asked us for photocopies of our visa's and passport pages for all 6 of us... hence we didnt have a scanner or owt as shipped so had to drive to mums to borrow hers.... so sort it now if i were you xxx

party animal!!

[quote=sammyg;5726155]Lovely update SJ
Keep them coming!!

We just ended up shutting half the local up and all family and friends came there, just put crisps and nuts on etc and cost us around £80 with nibbles and put a load in the juke box. was a fab nite and so pleased we did it. everyone signed a little book that my mate did for us. we read it after we'd been here 3wks and it was lovely..... i cried twice, but so nice to see what everyone said about us and how we affected their lives etc...... good idea for those with time left...

anyone done it??

Especially Seans wife, think you two need to apply for that race around the world program for couples!!! its on tv at the moment..

S-j xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Jan 1st 2008, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice

S-j xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/QUOTE]

Thanks S-J,

She is really getting good and I fear she will be kicking my butt soon. As for the amazing race, I would love to do that, but we have agreed that we would fall out in a major way if we were to try it. I am a typical male in that I hate a map and will go with my gut most of the time. She is more calculating and likes to plan ahead- hence a much better race planner.

We have done joint sports events together before hand and generally fight afterwards (she is really competitive and hates losing to anyone!)- think Monica from Friends. Afraid though that soemtimes she may bite off more than she can chew. One of our mates suggested a race in the US (10km swim, 220km bike, 100km run and then 20km in a canoe), before I could even say anything she told him 'No worries'. I did try and explain to her that only very few people can finish that thing, but she reckons she is one of them:-).I have to hand it to her for determination...

Enjoy the rest of the holidays folks.
Cheers
Old Jan 1st 2008, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future

Hi Ester thanks for that Im just panicking I think Its all nursing stuff and school files for Sophie and Neils work stuff wouldnt dare posting Ill be alright packers coming this am and never slept a wink. I would love to run a camp site one of my dreams good luck I hope you get to do it. I fancied malloolaba aswell looks so chilled bit like cairns I think just hope the kids will be happy.
Its uch a rollercoaster I just want to be there now.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Bundaberg the land of Rum from south wales the land of song!
bundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nice

Cheers s-j,
I will get oH on to it today, he emailed singapore airlines and we had the email everyone has seen on BE saying we get 40kg on production of our visa.

We booked with travel bag so i suppose he will have to contact them?
We are a little worried about the domestic allowance now when we fly from Brissie to Bundaberg with Qantas, he will ring them today too.

Still loads to do so im off now to pack all our clothes then im going to empty the kitchen cupboards to pack up what my daughter is going to use when she comes back in July. her boyfriend can take it away then!
A trip to the tip no doubt and a visit to a garage to see if they want to buy my car, fingers crossed a?
6 days till we go now

Teryna
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

bundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nice

OMG,
OH just got of the phone to Qantas and it appears the miserable so and so's do not give an extra baggage allowance on Domestic flights for anyone immigrating into their country
The charge is- wait for it- $48 per kilo yes you read it right $48 per kilo. over the limit. They only allow each passanger one piece of luggage at 32kilos
So now we are having to really streamline what we are taking !!
Be warned guys

s-j looks like i dont have to worry about getting extra baggage allowance on my e ticket after all we will only be taking 32kilos each

Teryna
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

oh no Teryna! did quantas have a good flight price?

Well done to Sean's OH,

she's really going for it hey? It makes me really jealous to hear about people doing fantastic exercising!! I used to run and go to the gym 4/5x week then 3 yrs ago i tore my cartilage in my right knee. It took a good 6 months to get treated and recover... then a year later it happens again! I've not started running since as i've been told not to by the experts, but i ride to work and go to the gym 2/3x a week (stepping, cross trainer etc). I'm going to start Body pump soon as i love it and i know i can continue it in aus as it is taught at most gyms.

Stu (OH) runs a lot, he's lost loads of weight over the last 3 months particularly!

What i'd do for a strong knee again

anyway, i've put my violin away now!

I've started this month with a sort of detox! it's not too strict but none of the obvious foods/drinks and no dairy products. I've got my juicer back out of the cupboard and the fridge is full of organic fruit and veg.
I've detoxed before and oh my my skin went really clear, i felt amazing and i lost a few pounds.

No wine for the whole month of Jan

anyone joining me??

sam xxx
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sammyg
oh no Teryna! did quantas have a good flight price?

Well done to Sean's OH,

she's really going for it hey? It makes me really jealous to hear about people doing fantastic exercising!! I used to run and go to the gym 4/5x week then 3 yrs ago i tore my cartilage in my right knee. It took a good 6 months to get treated and recover... then a year later it happens again! I've not started running since as i've been told not to by the experts, but i ride to work and go to the gym 2/3x a week (stepping, cross trainer etc). I'm going to start Body pump soon as i love it and i know i can continue it in aus as it is taught at most gyms.

Stu (OH) runs a lot, he's lost loads of weight over the last 3 months particularly!

What i'd do for a strong knee again

anyway, i've put my violin away now!

I've started this month with a sort of detox! it's not too strict but none of the obvious foods/drinks and no dairy products. I've got my juicer back out of the cupboard and the fridge is full of organic fruit and veg.
I've detoxed before and oh my my skin went really clear, i felt amazing and i lost a few pounds.

No wine for the whole month of Jan

anyone joining me??

sam xxx
Wish i could join you but no fridge or freezer in fact. ive promised myself i will start as soon as we are in our rental and settle oh and got a fridge!
I used to run and go to the gym loved it then started immigration process and it all went out the window. Hence an almost 2stone weight gain since feb what with stress!! giving up work and christmas. My poor knees cant take the strain of me walking let alone running.
Teryna

Qantas domestic flights were cheap when we booked them $69.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.