Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

empirestate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by snuggs
Are you planning on using your return flight if your IEC is successful? Or did you have that booked as a precaution when you went over as a tourist?

Not sure if i should get a return flight booked as Im due to fly to toronto on 14th feb but ill apply for the Iec soon as it opens.
You dont HAVE to have a return flight booked if you are entering canada once you get your IEC, you just have to proove you have enough funds to buy a ticket home. However if you intend to enter as a tourist first then I would get a return ticket
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Jennika is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you planning on using your return flight if your IEC is successful? Or did you have that booked as a precaution when you went over as a tourist?

Not sure if i should get a return flight booked as Im due to fly to toronto on 14th feb but ill apply for the Iec soon as it opens.
Hey me too! Flying to Toronto on 14th Feb, from Glasgow though
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Wizardoffire is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting to read that they say an exception will be made if in the past 3 years you studied abroad, i spent around 6 months studying in Germany back in 2010/2011. Will I have to do anything else aside from mentioning it?

Secondly I have travel insurance with the post office and they've notified me, that it is due for renewal. Im not sure if this is suitable insurance for IEC but was wondering if anyone else happens to know?
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Oaken is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wizardoffire
Secondly I have travel insurance with the post office and they've notified me, that it is due for renewal. Im not sure if this is suitable insurance for IEC but was wondering if anyone else happens to know?
Check to see the length of 'holiday' it covers, standard travel insurance will only cover you for a maximum number of days in a single trip, usually somewhere between 30-90 days max.

You will obviously need cover for 365 days.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Cumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Wizardoffire
Interesting to read that they say an exception will be made if in the past 3 years you studied abroad, i spent around 6 months studying in Germany back in 2010/2011. Will I have to do anything else aside from mentioning it?
If It was over 6 months continuously then you will need to obtain a German police check.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Jay92 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there guys, hope your well.

Anxiously waiting for the IEC to open this week, was wondering if anyone can help me.

I am aware that the whole application process will be done online this year, which means we will require digital copies of our police check and passport.

I wanted to know what would be the most appropriate and safe option in obtaining the digital copies, should we get them scanned and upload them, or could we just take good quality pictures and upload them?

kid regards

Jay
Old Jan 29th 2013, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

ro616 is an unknown quantity at this point

I booked a return flight as it seemed to be a condition of getting a tourist visa - not that it helped me much - to paraquote the friendly immigration officer "everyone in this line has return ticket, that's fooling no-one. How do I know you'll get on the flight back?" Wasn't sure how to answer that. Anyway I booked a fully refundable flight so if my iec app is approved I'll cancel the flight.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Oaken is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ro616
I booked a return flight as it seemed to be a condition of getting a tourist visa - not that it helped me much - to paraquote the friendly immigration officer "everyone in this line has return ticket, that's fooling no-one. How do I know you'll get on the flight back?" Wasn't sure how to answer that. Anyway I booked a fully refundable flight so if my iec app is approved I'll cancel the flight.
By telling them you where going to apply for a work visa while you were in Canada they immediately presume you have no intention of leaving if you did or didn't get the work visa you wanted.

I just told them I was going to see the sights on an extended holiday and it took me all of 30 seconds to get through passport control.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

cptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nice

So it looks like the IRish do not need to sumbit a police check for this year. Was this the same in previous years?

Could that mean that possibly people from the UK don't need to have a police check?

"As part of stage one of the application process to participate in the International Experience Canada (IEC) initiative, you will be required to submit a scanned or electronic copy of the following documents to IEC Kompass. The designated IEC office will review these documents to assess your eligibility to participate in IEC. You may be requested to submit additional documents later in the process.

1.A legible photocopy of the identification pages of your passport (family names, given name(s), date and place of birth, passport’s issue and expiry dates). Your passport must be valid for at least one day beyond the date of your departure from Canada and there must be one completely blank page, other than the last page, available in your passport.
2.Proof that you have paid the IEC program participation fee."
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cumbrian7
If It was over 6 months continuously then you will need to obtain a German police check.
it wasn't a continuous 6 months as there were several whole months when I wasnt in the country
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

yeastery is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Oaken
By telling them you where going to apply for a work visa while you were in Canada they immediately presume you have no intention of leaving if you did or didn't get the work visa you wanted.

I just told them I was going to see the sights on an extended holiday and it took me all of 30 seconds to get through passport control.
I like this post and I'm thinking: wouldn't it be cool if we made a guide of how to do the border? Just because it seems to be scary no matter how prepared you go. Something we could do is pool everyone's border crossing experience and see if there is a consensus. Anyone interested in helping me do this?
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oaken
Check to see the length of 'holiday' it covers, standard travel insurance will only cover you for a maximum number of days in a single trip, usually somewhere between 30-90 days max.

You will obviously need cover for 365 days.
was checking out the post office website depending on which long term travel insurance you go for, it ranges from £390 to £450
looks like I will be shopping around
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

empirestate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cptkid89
So it looks like the IRish do not need to sumbit a police check for this year. Was this the same in previous years?

Could that mean that possibly people from the UK don't need to have a police check?

"As part of stage one of the application process to participate in the International Experience Canada (IEC) initiative, you will be required to submit a scanned or electronic copy of the following documents to IEC Kompass. The designated IEC office will review these documents to assess your eligibility to participate in IEC. You may be requested to submit additional documents later in the process.

1.A legible photocopy of the identification pages of your passport (family names, given name(s), date and place of birth, passport’s issue and expiry dates). Your passport must be valid for at least one day beyond the date of your departure from Canada and there must be one completely blank page, other than the last page, available in your passport.
2.Proof that you have paid the IEC program participation fee."
It says police check on the canadian websites, thinking you just need to provide these two basic things to the UK IEC portion, and then a load of stuff including police checks in the myCIC portion to the canadians.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

NovaGlaswegian is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting to the business end of things now! Can't wait to be able to start the process!

On the subject of Insurance, I have done a few price comparisons and have seen one from Sainbury's, which can be found here:

http://www.sainsburysbank.co.uk/trav...nded_pop.shtml

Which seems to cover what we need. I'll be sure to email them and others before buying in order to double check, but after entering in all my details it appears to include: medical and repatriation expenses, cutting short your trip, personal baggage and money and winter sports and comes in at £488 for my girlfriend and I. We'll be in Calgary so don't want to take a package without the sports cover.

As for the flights, Canadian Affair quite often have special deals on. Their website is worth checking, I'm not too fussed on luxury in what will only be a short amount of time in the grand scheme of a Canadian adventure! I've seen singles to Calgary for £260/300, most often when booking between 3-9 months in advance - that's direct with Air Transat from Gatwick and Glasgow respectively.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

acrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond repute

Does that seem way too cheap to anyone else...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.