International Experience Canada

Old Jan 29th 2013, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

yeastery is on a distinguished road
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by Cumbrian7
You could have spent the last year in Canada and still meet the habitual residency requirement of 18 months in the UK in the last 3 years, 36 - 12 = 24.
Ahhhh i didn't notice before that the exception applies to "short term work" eg working holiday visas. Thanks!
Old Jan 29th 2013, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

empirestate is an unknown quantity at this point

I BRING NEWS!

Being the nosey git I am, lol

I remember reading alot last year when I was looking to apply that you cannot extend your stay under IEC, you must reapply etc. Well I just went onto the CIC website and the work tab for Extending Work Permit (Assuming I were there and working), Answering the questions on the wizard quiz including one that said are you working under an international agreement, eg IEC, it said id qualify to extend my work permit and could apply to extend it and renew temporary residency...If thats the case once your there you can do that instead of applying for IEC next year....and we all know after 1year skiled work experience we can apply to be perm residents.....I answered it all as If i had been there a few months, like i had less than a years work experience etc.

SO THIS COULD BE GREAT NEWS

Last edited by empirestate; Jan 29th 2013 at 7:47 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by empirestate
Answering the questions on the wizard quiz including one that said are you working under an international agreement, eg IEC
Did it specifically say IEC?
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Did it specifically say IEC?
The question is

"Which situation best describes your work situation?"

and answers are

...Im working under an international agreement
...active pilot
...provintial nominee
...entrepuner/self employed
...spouse/partner of skilled worker
...religious worker
...academic exchange
...inter company
...none of above

I would say IEC counts as working under an international agreement, if you google "canada working under an international agreement" first result is IEC!

The reason im thinking we may be able to is that the whole process is not london based this time, we're participating in a program yes, but the work permit portion is now separate, this isnt a IEC VISA, its an IEC Acceptance from the UK, and a Work Permit from the Canadians, so why shouldnt we be able to extend the permit portion? It makes sense now its all separate! and as far as I can see from that test, it should be ok to, the Canadians dont want people to go there and then not get a second IEC and go home, they want you to work hard and stay, thats the whole purpose!

Last edited by empirestate; Jan 29th 2013 at 8:30 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I would say IEC counts as working under an international agreement, if you google "canada working under an international agreement" first result is IEC!
Ah, I see. In which case, if it doesn't specifically mention it, then I wouldn't get too excited! It's probably just referring to things like NAFTA and I doubt it's suddenly become extendable (it certainly hasn't for the countries whose changes have already been announced).
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:22 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

The question is

"Which situation best describes your work situation?"

and answers are

...Im working under an international agreement
...active pilot
...provintial nominee
...entrepuner/self employed
...spouse/partner of skilled worker
...religious worker
...academic exchange
...inter company
...none of above

Except note the following:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...asp?q=181&t=17

Can I extend my International Experience Canada work permit?

No. However, each country has a unique agreement with Canada. Some countries allow participation in the program more than once. If your country's agreement allows participation more than once, you would have to reapply outside of Canada.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

ro616 is an unknown quantity at this point

I arrived in Vancouver last week on a tourist visa and am now waiting impatiently for the program to open for applications.

Just as a heads-up I had to wait 3.5 hours in a second immigration chamber and was questioned very severely for 40 mins before I was given my tourist visa. I think it was because at the first border control I told them I was going to apply to for the iec and had a return flight for five months time. The guy next to me seemed to be doing the exact same thing but he got through straight away - guess it's partly a matter of luck. Anyway for anyone arriving on a long-tourist visa I suggest be prepared for a wait and take some water with you..

Does anyone know of a forum thread for expats to meet-up in vancouver?
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Except note the following:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...asp?q=181&t=17

Can I extend my International Experience Canada work permit?

No. However, each country has a unique agreement with Canada. Some countries allow participation in the program more than once. If your country's agreement allows participation more than once, you would have to reapply outside of Canada.
That page is from November, before the iec and the work permit application were separated, as far as I can see that test seems to suggest you can, Id certainy apply and try, Unless the actual work permit itself says IEC but even then nowhere on the test does it say iec is excluded, and now iec no longer give you a work permit at all, you apply for it separately! all being accepted in the program does is qualify you for one? just same as a provintial nomination would qualify you for one.

Last edited by empirestate; Jan 29th 2013 at 8:44 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:44 pm
Drop in from time to time

JimmyArtnull has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyArtnull has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyArtnull has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyArtnull has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyArtnull has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyArtnull has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyArtnull has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyArtnull has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyArtnull has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyArtnull has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyArtnull has a reputation beyond repute

The Irish quota is 6350 and it only opened today but it says it has 6185 places remaining. Did anyone notice at 3.30pm if it had 6350 places remaining i.e. are the quotas handed out instantly on submission of the first forms?
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyArtnull
The Irish quota is 6350 and it only opened today but it says it has 6185 places remaining. Did anyone notice at 3.30pm if it had 6350 places remaining i.e. are the quotas handed out instantly on submission of the first forms?
Yes when it was on earlier today it said 6350 remaining for sure because I posted it....maybe it goes down as people sign up for the kompass accounts or maybe they go down as people submit their forms....I mean 165 in 6 hours? They wont last long then if thats right!

Last edited by empirestate; Jan 29th 2013 at 8:51 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

That page is from November, before the iec and the work permit application were separated
So why do the programs for other countries that have already opened for 2013 still say it's not extendable?!

anyway iec no longer give you a work permit at all, you apply for it separately! all it being accepted in the program does is qualify you for one? just same as a provintial nomination would qualify you for one.
It's always been that way, you didn't get the actual IEC visa when you applied before - you simply got a Letter of Introduction from the London visa office which you then took to Canada. You were then given the actual visa at the airport when you arrived, so nothing's changed.

But I don't see what that has to do with it being extendable? IEC has never been extendable, and CIC haven't announced that it's changed.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

onyourradar is an unknown quantity at this point

so do we know what we have to do/supply now from the information released for the irish program?
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So why do the programs for other countries that have already opened for 2013 still say it's not extendable?!

It's always been that way, you didn't get the actual IEC visa when you applied before - you simply got a Letter of Introduction from the London visa office which you then took to Canada. You were then given the actual visa at the airport when you arrived, so nothing's changed.

But I don't see what that has to do with it being extendable? IEC has never been extendable, and CIC haven't announced that it's changed.
You used to apply for it all to london though right? you were handed the physical work permit at arrival, but the application was all in one done in london and approved here. Now you get your work permit part separate from the Canadians? I may be wrong, and it does say indeed on faq you cant extend, I just did the quiz and it appeared I would have qualified, As far as I see the IEC only qualify me for a work permit from the canadians, then I can do whatever with that permit. the Application forms for extending the permit didnt ask how you got a work permit to begin with.

According to CIC you can apply for a work permit in canada if "you have a valid study or work permit" already, and IEC seem to confirm this in their FAQ with

"If you wish to prolong your stay in Canada under Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s Temporary Foreign Workers Program, you must apply for a work permit at least 30 days before the expiry date of your current status as an IEC participant."

Am I missing anything? CIC say as long as I already have a work permit I can get a new one, and IEC say as long as I apply within 30 days of my expiry....Therefore I could get a new work permit and stay....Youd only even need a 6 month one and that'd give you enough time to have the full 1 years skilled exxperience to go for PR.

Last edited by empirestate; Jan 29th 2013 at 9:06 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by onyourradar
so do we know what we have to do/supply now from the information released for the irish program?
No, because that's for the Irish program. Every country's program is different, so you can't assume the UK will be the same.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:07 pm
A taffy in Ontario

snuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ro616
I arrived in Vancouver last week on a tourist visa and am now waiting impatiently for the program to open for applications.

Just as a heads-up I had to wait 3.5 hours in a second immigration chamber and was questioned very severely for 40 mins before I was given my tourist visa. I think it was because at the first border control I told them I was going to apply to for the iec and had a return flight for five months time. The guy next to me seemed to be doing the exact same thing but he got through straight away - guess it's partly a matter of luck. Anyway for anyone arriving on a long-tourist visa I suggest be prepared for a wait and take some water with you..

Are you planning on using your return flight if your IEC is successful? Or did you have that booked as a precaution when you went over as a tourist?

Not sure if i should get a return flight booked as Im due to fly to toronto on 14th feb but ill apply for the Iec soon as it opens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.