Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Cliveg88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Does anyone have any advice on applying for iec with a previous conviction when I was young (21) 8 years ago? I am not sure how to write the cover letter. Many thanks to anyone in advance
Old Jan 28th 2013, 5:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
GreatCover backpacker. 150 quid for the year. Covers repatriation and all the other usual stuff.
Does that allow you to work? I would check the smallprint, you normally need 'gap year' insurance to be covered for work whilst abroad.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 28th 2013 at 6:11 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

sean878787 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: International Experience Canada

Hi Everyone,

Could people please advise me - due to the nature of the IEC (Working Holiday), is it a help or hinderance to name an employer if you already have work confirmed?

Any tangible advantage to just leaving this section blank, even if you have work lined up?

Thanks!
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cliveg88
Does anyone have any advice on applying for iec with a previous conviction when I was young (21) 8 years ago? I am not sure how to write the cover letter. Many thanks to anyone in advance
Have you got criminal rehab, or do you not need it to enter Canada?
Old Jan 28th 2013, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

TorontoBartender is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tim010
You don't need a return flight booked to enter under the IEC. Just proof of funds and 12 months insurance although they do not seem to regularly check these requirements.

Tim
I think you have missed my point.. I understand the requirements but it was in response of how to get a 6 month visa. If you read the requirements it mentions the immigration officer will only give you a visa for the length of your health insurance or if you have a returned flight booked!
Old Jan 28th 2013, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Jennika is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That's incredibly cheap for a year! You need travel insurance, not medical insurance, as one of the things it must cover is repatriation.
Really? I swear in previous posts people were getting insurance for around £50... I just begrudge paying £200 when my flight was the same price! Guess I just need to do it as all this searching is stressing me out.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

empirestate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by laura_mc
Thank you very much Empirestate. That's good to know, me and my partner are still waiting to get our ACPO certificates back but are not actually 100% sure we can go this year. Do you know if you apply and for some reason can't go, do you still have to pay the fee? Can you give up your place if you're accepted?

Won't find out for a month if we can definitely go, but don't think I want to risk waiting just incase they do go before then (I know it's unlikely going on previous years but you never know!)
No you dont have to pay, if you really wanted to go through it all and get accepted and they ask for payment you CAN Change your mind and not do it, But if I recall once youve been accepted that does count as 1 of your 2 years, so if you decided to do the program later youd only be able to for one year, it also probably wouldnt look good.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

empirestate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jennika
Really? I swear in previous posts people were getting insurance for around £50... I just begrudge paying £200 when my flight was the same price! Guess I just need to do it as all this searching is stressing me out.
Where are you getting a flight from????? I want in! Haha, Been looking at crazy prices, up to £800 one way! the cheaper ones like £350 have stopovers places, when/where you going from?
Old Jan 28th 2013, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

kangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by empirestate
Where are you getting a flight from????? I want in! Haha, Been looking at crazy prices, up to £800 one way! the cheaper ones like £350 have stopovers places, when/where you going from?
Cheapest I found (one way) Gatwick - Montreal, in May, £269
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:11 am
Just Joined

Cumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant future

The STA travel website is quite good for finding cheap flights, also if you want to fly one way to one of the major cities check out AirTransat it seems to be the budget Canadian airline, I haven't actually flown with them though.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

kangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant future

I use Skyscanner to look for cheap flights - since it gives me the option to search for flights leaving anytime during the year, and then compare to see which months are cheapest (and lets me compare departure airports for price as well)
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Jennika is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by empirestate
Glasgow-Toronto, Air Transat on 14th Feb! I booked the ticket last month.

That airline is the only one that flies to Canada from Glasgow I think. I've flown with them several times before, they are fine.. I might pay for extra baggage though as they only allow 23kg + 10kg hand luggage!
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Oaken is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jennika
Sorry but getting the cheapest insurance which doesn't give you the correct cover is beyond one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, don't just get insurance because of the price. I know an aussie who got seriously injured a few months ago, insurance wouldn't cover and is now owes close to $200,000.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kangoolari
Cheapest I found (one way) Gatwick - Montreal, in May, £269
I managed to get a ticket Gatwick > Montreal in May for £179. Though that's one of their exceptionally low prices, booked 9 months in advance and using a promo code to get 10% off... We might be on the same flight!
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BritishExpatriate
I managed to get a ticket Gatwick > Montreal in May for £179. Though that's one of their exceptionally low prices, booked 9 months in advance and using a promo code to get 10% off... We might be on the same flight!
That would be cool.....though I haven't booked anything yet (would be daft to book flights before I've got the visa), and I have seen a few bad reviews for AirTransat.....though the only other option for that sort of price seems to be Heathrow-Reykjavik-Toronto-Montreal (fun!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.