Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:56 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by lukedparker
Yes iv herd that you can swop your uk licence for a canadian. As for your insurance were it says when did you recieve your licence would you put the date you got your uk licence or your canadian?
There is no such thing as a "Canadian" licence, they are issued by Provinces.

For BC: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...most-countries - 90 days

For Ontario: http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing...l-Licence.aspx - 60 days

You must be able to prove that you have held a full licence for a minimum of 2 years to exchange.

Make sure you bring a copy of your drivers abstract from the UK (it will cost £5) as it will help with insurance.

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 11th 2013 at 3:06 am.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

lukedparker is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. What is a drivers extract and where can i get this from?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:04 am
Just Joined

lucilletwo is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have any experience with getting a skilled job before entering Canada on IEC? (i.e. applying for one while still in the UK) Obviously the chances of this would vary wildly depending on the industry and the individual's work experience but I was wondering if employers would take your application seriously if you state that you have a letter of invitation when applying and are ready to move to Canada. Mostly I'm asking about this because I see others saying that some places will not rent to non-professionals and it is my intention to get a job in the area of my Masters degree over there.

Also, do you need to give that information to the immigration officer when you enter Canada or will they just leave the employer section of your visa blank regardless?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:06 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lukedparker
Thank you. What is a drivers extract and where can i get this from?
Sorry, I meant Drivers abstract, lol.

There is info on this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472501

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/foi/dataprtc.aspx

Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

lukedparker is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha no problem. Thank you for the info
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:09 am
Just Joined

lovecanadachick is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my god. I have been waiting forever for this IEC-kompass think to open to the UK. It was supposed to happen at the end of last year. All the while, I'm getting closer to 30. When will my luck change? I can't bear it anymore. I am obsessed, checking the website every single day. Does anyone else feel my pain?!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

kangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lovecanadachick
Oh my god. I have been waiting forever for this IEC-kompass think to open to the UK. It was supposed to happen at the end of last year. All the while, I'm getting closer to 30. When will my luck change? I can't bear it anymore. I am obsessed, checking the website every single day. Does anyone else feel my pain?!
I'm fairly sure you can still apply for IEC when you're 30 - as long as you're under 31 at the time of applying.

It'll open eventually

Last edited by kangoolari; Feb 11th 2013 at 3:40 am.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:50 am
Just Joined

spaynter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lucilletwo
Does anyone have any experience with getting a skilled job before entering Canada on IEC? (i.e. applying for one while still in the UK) Obviously the chances of this would vary wildly depending on the industry and the individual's work experience but I was wondering if employers would take your application seriously if you state that you have a letter of invitation when applying and are ready to move to Canada. Mostly I'm asking about this because I see others saying that some places will not rent to non-professionals and it is my intention to get a job in the area of my Masters degree over there.

Also, do you need to give that information to the immigration officer when you enter Canada or will they just leave the employer section of your visa blank regardless?
I sent out over 60 applications while still in the UK for jobs as an architect over here. I didn't start getting replies until I changed my CV to say that "I have a work permit", "I can be there between these dates for interviews" and "I can start any time after this date".

My first 50 applications or so I only got 1 phone interview. Once I added that concrete information in I got 8 interviews from 10 applications and eventually 7 job offers.

I think you need to be precise and tell them the information they want to hear. Anything else and they'll think you're a waste of time.

On a side note even a professional job doesn't mean you'll get a condo you apply for. We got turned down for one because the landlord found a doctor who wanted his place and thought they were more trustworthy than architects.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

TorontoBartender is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dsmwright
So I'm pulling hair out in the UK too, I'm slightly concerned about the work history check of the Kompass application as there are times where I have been unemployed/travelling... Does anyone know if this would be a problem? It didn't seem to affect my ACRO application.
It doesn't affect it at all. I know with the 2012 application they requested you wrote down all your travel dates and destinations within your CV - presume they will want the same this year.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Dandaman1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lovecanadachick
Similar frustration here too. I need this thing to open in the next month or else I'm in trouble...
Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Kraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TorontoBartender
It doesn't affect it at all. I know with the 2012 application they requested you wrote down all your travel dates and destinations within your CV - presume they will want the same this year.
Does this include holidays? I've done lots of travelling but only a week or two weeks at a time... seems a bit of a weird request if we have to.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:58 am
Just Joined

lucilletwo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spaynter
I sent out over 60 applications while still in the UK for jobs as an architect over here. I didn't start getting replies until I changed my CV to say that "I have a work permit", "I can be there between these dates for interviews" and "I can start any time after this date".

My first 50 applications or so I only got 1 phone interview. Once I added that concrete information in I got 8 interviews from 10 applications and eventually 7 job offers.

I think you need to be precise and tell them the information they want to hear. Anything else and they'll think you're a waste of time.

On a side note even a professional job doesn't mean you'll get a condo you apply for. We got turned down for one because the landlord found a doctor who wanted his place and thought they were more trustworthy than architects.
Thanks for that.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

TorontoBartender is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kraven
Does this include holidays? I've done lots of travelling but only a week or two weeks at a time... seems a bit of a weird request if we have to.
I did aswell but filled out all the holidays and places I had been in the last 5 years (it was quite extensive)

They only really care if you have spent more then 6 months continuously in a single country - means you require a police report for that nation.

I wouldn't worry about it
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Quaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alec D
Regarding driver's licenses and insurance - how does this work on the IEC? I assume there is a period in which I can drive on my UK license. Anyone know how long that is? And regarding insurance, do I just buy this normally when I arrive?

In BC you can only drive on a UK licence for 90 days, but it was super easy to get a BC licence headed down to the local office, they tested my eye sight asked me 3 question, took my photo, payed $30 and had my licence mailed to me within a week.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Kraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TorontoBartender
I did aswell but filled out all the holidays and places I had been in the last 5 years (it was quite extensive)

They only really care if you have spent more then 6 months continuously in a single country - means you require a police report for that nation.

I wouldn't worry about it
I'm not sure I would even remember all the dates! I will wait and see what it says on the instructions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.