Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Feb 12th 2013, 1:29 am
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by kangoolari
A degree doesn't seem to count for terribly much when you're applying for jobs, unless they're jobs in the same field as the degree. But hey, at least it was a interesting subject
Doesn't count for much....... hmmmm
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Quaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really nice

Originally Posted by cbrown89
Doesn't count for much....... hmmmm
Everyone and their Grandma has a degree in Canada something like 55% of the population (highest in the world) so unless you have a degree in the correct field don't expect it too count for much, all the employers I've met what real experience or at least that's what I found.

Last edited by Quaks; Feb 12th 2013 at 2:26 am.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

kangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Quaks
Everyone and their Grandma has a degree in Canada something like 55% of the population (highest in the world) so unless you have a degree in the correct field don't expect it too count for much, all the employers I've met what real experience or at least that's what I found.
I've found the same in the UK with the experience - employers don't seem to be terribly fussed whether or not you've got a degree.....but you MUST have previous experience
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Quaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really nice

Originally Posted by kangoolari
I've found the same in the UK with the experience - employers don't seem to be terribly fussed whether or not you've got a degree.....but you MUST have previous experience
Yep the UK is getting the same way as more an more people gets degrees think its upto 40% in the UK. If you struggle to find a job in the UK in a certain field don't expect it to be easier in Canada. (There is exceptions of course)
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:53 am
Just Joined

rossvp is an unknown quantity at this point

So is everyone on here either a doctor or architect then? Or have some sort of masters degree? haha. I mean whats the chances of say a 22 year old with not a lot of job experience in any given field going over and finding any jobs part time or full time and what not
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rossvp
So is everyone on here either a doctor or architect then? Or have some sort of masters degree? haha. I mean whats the chances of say a 22 year old with not a lot of job experience in any given field going over and finding any jobs part time or full time and what not
It's not hard to find just a job head to any of the seasonal towns and it is impossible not to get a job within a few days.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossvp
I think it's safe to say that everyone can find a job.

If we're talking about skilled jobs then without either experience or university, the average person might not get a skilled job or advance into a skilled job as quickly as the average person who does have experience or university. But there are always exceptions to the rule and it's virtually impossible to measure other factors that play a part such as the motivation of one person to reach a goal over the motivation of another to reach that same goal.

But like I said at the beginning of the post, of course anyone can find a job if they try hard enough. That's just my opinion though- we all have to make our own decisions as to whether to go travelling in a foreign country or not- independently.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:16 am
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'd say that's pretty obvious that if you want a skilled job then your degree should be relevant you could say that about any country. I wouldn't expect to get a job easily in Finance with my engineering degree.

I'd agree about the experience though I went to an expo Canada event which I found to be a total waste of time. All the companies I spoke to wanted mid to senior level people so my 1.5 years of relevant experience under my belt didn't go very far. They made the event seem that it was for everyone but in the end they were just like any other city in the world they want trained competent people but aren't willing to train them up.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

James1984 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mitz24
I ordered a police check from the UK for Oz last September. It took me just over a month to get it back from them and they require a few more documents than what you had to give to ACPO. I said the purpose of the check was the overseas employment/visa and applied for the name check only.

Ah! I applied for mine before I read this. I chose the immigration option. I'm sure it's all the same thing but I better give them a call today just to be safe.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:23 am
Weegie in Calgary

Is anyone looking to move to Calgary/Alberta and work in the oil & gas industry?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:26 am

salmonfella is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^^
yea mate i am moving to Calgary at the end of march to hopefully get a job in the o/g industry/.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:32 am
Weegie in Calgary

Originally Posted by salmonfella
^^^^
yea mate i am moving to Calgary at the end of march to hopefully get a job in the o/g industry/.
Ah ok do you have any experience? Been applying to many companies?

I was going to hang fire till I "get" my visa.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cbrown89
Ah ok do you have any experience? Been applying to many companies?

I was going to hang fire till I "get" my visa.
If you have experience you won't have any problems getting a job I got one in the mining industry within a week of ariving into Canada.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:48 am
Weegie in Calgary

If you have experience you won't have any problems getting a job I got one in the mining industry within a week of ariving into Canada.
Did you have experience in mining though? All my experience is related to installing subsea power cables so I don't know how they will look at it...
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

cptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nice

I did a degree in TV & Film Production, no way im getting a job in that. I've been working in Admin for the last 2 1/2 years. What are my chances of getting a admin job in Toronto with that kind of experience? Anyone?

I just don't want to go to TO and end up working in some place like McDonalds or BK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.