International Experience Canada

Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Quaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really nice
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by cbrown89
Did you have experience in mining though? All my experience is related to installing subsea power cables so I don't know how they will look at it...
You should be good (depending on what your after) a friend of mine use to work offshore installing wind turbines and he managed to get a job working on a rig no problem.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

otoro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cptkid89
I did a degree in TV & Film Production, no way im getting a job in that. I've been working in Admin for the last 2 1/2 years. What are my chances of getting a admin job in Toronto with that kind of experience? Anyone?

I just don't want to go to TO and end up working in some place like McDonalds or BK
my housemate got an EA job after a month of searching.. you just have to be proactive and have a little bit of luck - there is no way to place a timeframe, it really depends on how determined you are and how much you can BS on your CV. haha. look at recruitment companies too, temp agencies that kinda thing.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

saryfairy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Check with the airline you'll be travelling with - most won't let you board the plane with a one way ticket if you are only entering on a visitor visa.

Usually cheaper to buy a return than one way too bizarrely.
Seriously?! they wont let you board the plane without a return? thats insane...was preparing myself for heavy questioning& showing them my IEC stuff in progress by email etc, but was hoping to still get in...Am also looking at flight prices and returns are 200-300 pounds more...and i wont use it....Dam IEC
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saryfairy
Seriously?! they wont let you board the plane without a return? thats insane...was preparing myself for heavy questioning& showing them my IEC stuff in progress by email etc, but was hoping to still get in...Am also looking at flight prices and returns are 200-300 pounds more...and i wont use it....Dam IEC
The airline is responsible for repatriating you if you get refused entry in Canada, so they tend to be extra cautious and often won't let you board in the first place if you have a one way ticket and no visa allowing you to stay long term.

Not all though, so do check with whoever you're booking with as to what their policy is.

Also, you could look at booking a return but making sure the return date is changeable, that way you can use it another time, whether it's to return to the UK after your IEC is finished, or just for a holiday/visit.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:37 am
Just Joined

spaynter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cptkid89
I did a degree in TV & Film Production, no way im getting a job in that. I've been working in Admin for the last 2 1/2 years. What are my chances of getting a admin job in Toronto with that kind of experience? Anyone?

I just don't want to go to TO and end up working in some place like McDonalds or BK
There are so many films and TV shows filmed in Toronto that you would probably get a job in that industry if you wanted to. Even if it was admin for one of the studios.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Alec D is on a distinguished road

I've been going to Canada as a visitor for at least 10 years now, a few times without a return ticket and never been denied entry. No one cared. Equally if you look shifty, a return ticket counts for nothing; every person who intends to work illegally will turn up with a return ticket assuming it's an alibi.

Best plan is to turn up with proof you can afford a return ticket if necessary, and be honest about your intentions.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

TorontoBartender is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alec D
I've been going to Canada as a visitor for at least 10 years now, a few times without a return ticket and never been denied entry. No one cared. Equally if you look shifty, a return ticket counts for nothing; every person who intends to work illegally will turn up with a return ticket assuming it's an alibi.

Best plan is to turn up with proof you can afford a return ticket if necessary, and be honest about your intentions.

Exactly what I was going to say.. They hardly ever check and even if they do, if you have the funds to buy a return ticket they have no reason to refuse boarding you on the flight or entry into canada!

When I went to Canada in the summer with air transat, their terms and conditions stated you had to have a return flight if entering canada on a visit visa so I booked my return the day before I left - I got to the airport and no one checked either in the UK or at Canadian immigration.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TorontoBartender
Exactly what I was going to say.. They hardly ever check and even if they do, if you have the funds to buy a return ticket they have no reason to refuse boarding you on the flight or entry into canada!

When I went to Canada in the summer with air transat, their terms and conditions stated you had to have a return flight if entering canada on a visit visa so I booked my return the day before I left - I got to the airport and no one checked either in the UK or at Canadian immigration.
Don't those two statements rather contradict each other? That's exactly what I've been saying, that the airline can refuse to let you board (as per AT's terms and cons), so it's not necessarily at the airport when you arrive that it can be a problem, but before that point.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

People coming to Canada on the IEC programme with their LOI are rarely asked for a return ticket as its not a legal requirement to have one for CBSA/CIC purposes.
CBSA officers know that they will be issuing a work permit for 12 or 24 months so which airlines let you book a return 2 years from now
It is the airlines who sometimes want to see a return ticket as they are on the hook of getting you back if you are refused. Even having an LOI in your hand is no guarantee you will be allowed in.
Check the airlines policies and once you get the LOI book a one way flight if cheaper and allowed to do so. at least you have something to show the airline that you have been accepted to Canada and to work for a specific amount of time.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:59 am
Just Joined

spaynter is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally gave up on waiting for the IEC to open and went to see an immigration lawyer this morning. Getting a temporary work permit instead. Too much stress seeing the clock ticking down to when my current IEC expires and not knowing when it would change.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Don't those two statements rather contradict each other? That's exactly what I've been saying, that the airline can refuse to let you board (as per AT's terms and cons), so it's not necessarily at the airport when you arrive that it can be a problem, but before that point.
I agree with you however if the person in question, was flying to Canada to enter Canada under IEC whether he entered the country first as a visitor (then changed his status in the country), the airline has NO REASON to refuse boarding. The only specify this is their policy but they don't enforce this issue.

My point is he will have no problem boarding the outbound flight to canada without a return - only the immigration has the authority to ask to see funds to purchase a return ticket - not an airline employee!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

otoro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TorontoBartender

i booked a one-way with airtransat a couple of months ago and wasn't asked at any point if i was intending to book a return. at the point of booking i had no visa - i had to apply at port of entry (which is what the IEC requires as well - you don't actually have a visa until you get cleared at immigration in canada. the letter of introduction / health insurance / proof of funds is supposed to get you one at the border) so anything the carrier says isn't really valid.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

saryfairy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
People coming to Canada on the IEC programme with their LOI are rarely asked for a return ticket as its not a legal requirement to have one for CBSA/CIC purposes.
CBSA officers know that they will be issuing a work permit for 12 or 24 months so which airlines let you book a return 2 years from now
It is the airlines who sometimes want to see a return ticket as they are on the hook of getting you back if you are refused. Even having an LOI in your hand is no guarantee you will be allowed in.
Check the airlines policies and once you get the LOI book a one way flight if cheaper and allowed to do so. at least you have something to show the airline that you have been accepted to Canada and to work for a specific amount of time.
Thanks but this is not really what i was worried about,....I cant wait for the IEC so am just going to go on a visitor visa whilst my application is underway...therefore i was just going to book a one way ticket and hope for the best at customs really. If i had a LOI i wouldnt worry as like you say you have one/two years to book a return....If its in Air transats T&C's that you need a return flight i guess i will have to book one...unless anyone reckons a bus trip to the states would suffice?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by otoro
i booked a one-way with airtransat a couple of months ago and wasn't asked at any point if i was intending to book a return. at the point of booking i had no visa - i had to apply at port of entry (which is what the IEC requires as well - you don't actually have a visa until you get cleared at immigration in canada. the letter of introduction / health insurance / proof of funds is supposed to get you one at the border) so anything the carrier says isn't really valid.

I think they put it in their terms and conditions to protect themselves from a legal point of view - most people don't book one way tickets because of the cost. Airlines who offer one way tickets like Air Transat at a good price are very rare these days..

Old Feb 12th 2013, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks but this is not really what i was worried about,....I cant wait for the IEC so am just going to go on a visitor visa whilst my application is underway...therefore i was just going to book a one way ticket and hope for the best at customs really. If i had a LOI i wouldnt worry as like you say you have one/two years to book a return....If its in Air transats T&C's that you need a return flight i guess i will have to book one...unless anyone reckons a bus trip to the states would suffice?

They never asked me when I went but my advice is if they do explain your situation - take copies of all your paperwork to do with the IEC as well.

I would book a bus ticket to Buffalo just in case though because at least it shows an intention of leaving the country.

You'll be fine, just be polite and truthful to the Immigration officer (They are the only people who will ask question)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.