Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Feb 8th 2013, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

otoro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by lomsky
They sometimes will ask you to show them proof of a return i.e. a ticket.
i've never had a return ticket physically in my hand until i've checked in the day before leaving and printed it out, or gone to check-in on the day of leaving..

clare88, did they ever ask you specifically what you were doing in canada, or did you just say, just visiting! (like the jail in monopoly)
Old Feb 8th 2013, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

mjball is an unknown quantity at this point

Can someone who has been over on a visa previously tell me if you had a job lined up before you went? And if you didn't how long did it take you to get a job?

I'm going to Vancouver (hopefully) in April or May and i've started to look for a job already. I'm an ecologist if anyone knows of someone who wants to hire one...
Old Feb 8th 2013, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

lomsky has a brilliant futurelomsky has a brilliant futurelomsky has a brilliant futurelomsky has a brilliant futurelomsky has a brilliant futurelomsky has a brilliant future

Well you wouldn't be asked to show it until you're at the border anyway. E-ticket print out would suffice I'm sure.

I've entered Canada four times and have never been asked to show return flight information. They will usually ask about details of your visit, places planned to see etc. So definitely know what you're going to say.

My Canadian girlfriend was held up coming into the UK for about 30 mins, because she didn't have any sort of evidence of a return flight (although she did actually have one booked). She ended up getting through, but was only given a visitors visa for two weeks.

Last edited by lomsky; Feb 8th 2013 at 8:01 am.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 8:01 am
Just Joined

spaynter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kraven
Nice that looks great, how did you find it? I've been using craiglist to look which seems quite good.
If you're after a condo your best bet is to use a Realtor. They don't charge the tenant anything and they sort out all the contracts and everything. If you're not used to it the Canadian renting system can seem really weird.

The guy we used drove us round to look at 5 condo buildings in an afternoon and we picked the best one. He prefilled all the contracts and gave us a list of the best insurance companies and stuff.

If you want contact details for a realtor let me know.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Clare88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by otoro
i've never had a return ticket physically in my hand until i've checked in the day before leaving and printed it out, or gone to check-in on the day of leaving..

clare88, did they ever ask you specifically what you were doing in canada, or did you just say, just visiting! (like the jail in monopoly)
Hahaha, Yeah they asked me both times, which is common, they will always ask why you are there. Both times I was visiting with family so that's what I said. The woman I got the first time was a hard ass and asked loads of questions like was I aware that I couldn't work, why I was there, how I was going to support myself (which I said my parents were sending me money) and that was that really. The second, the guy asked what I was in the country for, I said seeing family for a while and he was like, cool, have a nice trip and didn't ask for a return or anything. It really depends on the boarder guard. I my experience the guys are more carefree than the women
Old Feb 8th 2013, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Kraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to all

Originally Posted by spaynter
If you're after a condo your best bet is to use a Realtor. They don't charge the tenant anything and they sort out all the contracts and everything. If you're not used to it the Canadian renting system can seem really weird.

The guy we used drove us round to look at 5 condo buildings in an afternoon and we picked the best one. He prefilled all the contracts and gave us a list of the best insurance companies and stuff.

If you want contact details for a realtor let me know.
Ah, I am travelling on my own so I was planning to move in with someone looking for a room mate in a condo, I have no idea how the renting system works so I assumed this would be the easiest as someone will have already sorted all that out, so maybe a realtor would not be the best option for me.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lomsky
Well you wouldn't be asked to show it until you're at the border anyway. E-ticket print out would suffice I'm sure.

I've entered Canada four times and have never been asked to show return flight information. They will usually ask about details of your visit, places planned to see etc. So definitely know what you're going to say.

My Canadian girlfriend was held up coming into the UK for about 30 mins, because she didn't have any sort of evidence of a return flight (although she did actually have one booked). She ended up getting through, but was only given a visitors visa for two weeks.
yeah UK are hard asses!! i had a working visa for TWO YEARS and EVERY time i came back to england i got the third degree. it's like mate, i got the visa already yeah??? just let me go home.

i guess if you got the OK for your parents sending you money whilst you were visiting, would saying that yr canadian partner was gonna be yr sugar mama for the time you're here be acceptable? haha i'm just thinking of options for my gf whilst THE UK TAKE THEIR SWEET ASS TIME opening the visa apps.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kraven
Ah, I am travelling on my own so I was planning to move in with someone looking for a room mate in a condo, I have no idea how the renting system works so I assumed this would be the easiest as someone will have already sorted all that out, so maybe a realtor would not be the best option for me.
check out kijiji for roomsharing in toronto, and craigslist.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Kraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to all

check out kijiji for roomsharing in toronto, and craigslist.
Thanks
Old Feb 8th 2013, 8:43 am
A taffy in Ontario

snuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant future

would saying that yr canadian partner was gonna be yr sugar mama for the time you're here be acceptable?

Haha I am debating whether to try that next week when I arrive in Toronto!
Old Feb 8th 2013, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

empirestate is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone from Ontario used "Homestead"? http://www.homestead.ca/ their site says they have apartments all over, utilities included and often good prices, well to me at least, staff on site etc to deal with issues, that kind of thing gives me more peace of mind in a new country.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 9:32 am
Just Joined

spaynter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by empirestate
Has anyone from Ontario used "Homestead"? http://www.homestead.ca/ their site says they have apartments all over, utilities included and often good prices, well to me at least, staff on site etc to deal with issues, that kind of thing gives me more peace of mind in a new country.
I think they mainly deal with rental buildings where they are the sole landlord for all the units. Some of these can be truly horrific. They are cheap though.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

empirestate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spaynter
I think they mainly deal with rental buildings where they are the sole landlord for all the units. Some of these can be truly horrific. They are cheap though.
Yeah they own buildings, obv id view the apartments in several before i comitted, but the prices seem good.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Niamh_M is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by empirestate
What I was thinking earlier is that obviously processing all these Irish Applications takes time, If it takes 10 minutes to check a persons eligable, theyve paid, and process and send their letter...for 6500 people thats 1083 hours, with a 2 week turnaround and them probably being closed at the weekend, or at least halfday sat and all sunday, thats 77hours that need to be processed per day, thats 10 people working 8hrs a day, 5 days a week, JUST TO GET THE IRISH ONES DONE IN TIME! Im hedging bets on it opening either the 11-14th or 18-21st, thats the 14 days processing time (If its straight 14 days, or 18 days with the weekends added) Theyll wanna get as many of them done as possible before adding more to the processing pile, as we saw this week Germany opened 10 days after the irish opened, if were looking at 10 more days thats bang on the 18th which is what i thought above. Maybe the Germans not going crazy will free up some hands to open ours too, I wanna go already!!!!! I dont wanna have 8 weeks waiting yet to come :-(
Well, I'm from Northern Ireland and I applied for an Irish Visa. It takes a long time. I mean, I applied when there were approx 2000 places gone. It took them ages to verify my payment for the visa (btw, after i uploaded the proof of payment it wasn't visible to them. So after you do that, just email them the proof of payment in an attachment via my messages, its a complete headmelt) and I still haven't heard back on whether I've been successful or not. I think it is gonna take a while....
Old Feb 8th 2013, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Niamh_M is an unknown quantity at this point

And they do work at weekends as they replied to one of my messages on a Saturday/Sunday. And they seem to work quite late too, as I checked my messages at around 11 before I went to bed and I received a message by the time I woke up in the morning. I know they are working at Ottawa time like, but it's still quite late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.