Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Oct 22nd 2012, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by WaterlooWannabe
Hi people,

First time poster here, so sincere apologies if I am covering a question that has been asked before, although I have spent many hours searching and cannot find anything which helps.

Myself and my wife (and 3 young children) would love to immigrate to Canada and preferably Kitchener-Waterloo. We are lucky enough to have several routes open to us. We both are in long term professional jobs as IT managers and both have degrees and Masters qualifications. One of the routes we are currently looking at is the International Experience Canada (IEC) program followed by the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). We are both from Northern Ireland and plan to apply as Irish although we also have the UK option as we hold passports for both countries. My wife is currently 35 and I am 37 so she would qualify for the IEC program and I would go along as a spouse as long as we get in before she turns 36 in May. If we do go it is likely that she would want to be a stay at home mum for a year or two to get the children settled and I would be the main bread winner. The reason for moving is to improve our quality of family life so her spending time with the children is important.

I was at the recent expo in Dublin earlier this month where Jason Kennedy the Minster announced recent changes to the IEC program and one of the main points he made was that spouses are actually in a really good position as they can work anywhere in whatever job. They have more flexibility than the primary applicant.

My proposed plan is that we apply to the IEC program under her as the main applicant and I find an IT Manager job with her being the stay at home mum. After a year I apply to through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

I just wanted to get your thoughts on the above plan. Is it feasible? Have I misunderstood the Minster at the expo? My main concerns are:

Would I be able to apply for professional IT jobs if my wife is the main applicant on the IEC application?
Would it be okay if I was the only one of us working?
Could I then apply through the CEC route after 12 months of full time professional employment within the 2 year window?

My thoughts change from thinking it's not possible, against the spirit of the process or completely fine. Any advice would be very welcome.
The spouse/common-law partner of an IEC participant is not eligible to obtain an open work permit by virtue of the participant's IEC application. The LMO exemption code C41 only applies to spouses/common-law partners of workers under CIC’s Temporary Foreign Workers Program
(NOC Levels 0, A & B).
So basically if your wife applys for the IEC only SHE can work on that programme. You are too old for the IEC so you would need to apply on your own merits for a TWP eg FSW or the LMO route.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 1:35 am
Just Joined

WaterlooWannabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The spouse/common-law partner of an IEC participant is not eligible to obtain an open work permit by virtue of the participant's IEC application. The LMO exemption code C41 only applies to spouses/common-law partners of workers under CIC’s Temporary Foreign Workers Program
(NOC Levels 0, A & B).
So basically if your wife applys for the IEC only SHE can work on that programme. You are too old for the IEC so you would need to apply on your own merits for a TWP eg FSW or the LMO route.
Ahh, okay. I have misunderstood the Minster. I am now wondering if I am confusing the TFW program and the IEC program. It probably makes more sense in the context of the Minster's statement 'spouses have more flexibility'. It was a long day with a lot of TLAs.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will go research the TFW program now.

Cheers!
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 7:15 am
Just Joined

spencer7711 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: International Experience Canada

Hey everyone,

So this is my first post here although i have been checking things out for a while on the site and so far...... it's been a massive help!

I was just wondering if anyone can answer the following:

If i apply for the IEC in January 2013 but i don't want to activate the visa until say March 2014 can i still go to canada to visit after i have obtained LOI without the visa activating?? I don't even know if that makes sense reading it back.

Basically I want to get my finances in good order and debts paid off before making the big move over. My girlfriend is Canadian and lives in Toronto. I plan on continuing to make trips back and forth for the next year or so (all being well)

Also on the visa application front..... I know it asks questions regarding arrests etc in any country. Well i got arrested way back in November 08. I wasn't charged with anything but according to my girlfriend, i was kept in the 'drunk tank' overnight and let out in the morning (i don't remember much). Anyway, a Police Officer i know did a check on me recently and nothing came back at all, there was no record of my arrest!
I'm now wondering what to do about the form.... Does anyone know of applicants being rejected for being a drunken arrest? I don't even know what i was arrested for to be honest as no one told me anything but is it possible that the officers would not have recorded details? I can't put YES - i was arrested but i don't know what for.............

Any assistance would be most appreciated.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 10:20 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by spencer7711
Hey everyone,

So this is my first post here although i have been checking things out for a while on the site and so far...... it's been a massive help!

I was just wondering if anyone can answer the following:

If i apply for the IEC in January 2013 but i don't want to activate the visa until say March 2014 can i still go to canada to visit after i have obtained LOI without the visa activating?? I don't even know if that makes sense reading it back.

Basically I want to get my finances in good order and debts paid off before making the big move over. My girlfriend is Canadian and lives in Toronto. I plan on continuing to make trips back and forth for the next year or so (all being well)

Also on the visa application front..... I know it asks questions regarding arrests etc in any country. Well i got arrested way back in November 08. I wasn't charged with anything but according to my girlfriend, i was kept in the 'drunk tank' overnight and let out in the morning (i don't remember much). Anyway, a Police Officer i know did a check on me recently and nothing came back at all, there was no record of my arrest!
I'm now wondering what to do about the form.... Does anyone know of applicants being rejected for being a drunken arrest? I don't even know what i was arrested for to be honest as no one told me anything but is it possible that the officers would not have recorded details? I can't put YES - i was arrested but i don't know what for.............

Any assistance would be most appreciated.
1. The letter is only valid for a year from the date of issuance.
2. No, it is not a criminal offence if no charges were laid nor caution issued. You say yes, with an explanation.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

nudda is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. The letter is only valid for a year from the date of issuance.
so If I receive the letter of acceptance in April 2013 ... I can leave for Canada in March 2014 .... and the visa will still last for 2 whole years from arrival date?
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nudda
so If I receive the letter of acceptance in April 2013 ... I can leave for Canada in March 2014 .... and the visa will still last for 2 whole years from arrival date?
Are you Irish then? If so, then yes.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

blubin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all - glad to have found this forum. I have a few questions about the IEC/Canada and haven't been able to really find the answers so far in this behemoth of a thread! So, sorry to rehash something that's probably been discussed hundreds of times within this thread.

I plan to apply as soon as they open the applications process again, looking at going to Montreal. How do British ex-pats find Montreal? I'm 26, from London, a post-grad with several years experience working for a world renowned recorded music company (current job) but also a certTESOL from Trinity College - equivalent to a CELTA, to teach ESL. I have decent French but will be starting immersion classes soon, I realise it's necessary to have proficient French to get the most out of Montreal and to get a decent job. Job wise I'd love to teach ESL out there although I realise there's probably not such a strong market for it given the emphasis the QC government put on keeping the district Frencophone, rather than encouraging people to learn English. That being said, there are several English Language schools in Montreal, so fingers crossed I can get some work there. In addition to that I'd like to get a job in a pub/bar/cafe to meet some cool people. I realise that being able to speak French is crucial for that.

Once I have my visa approved, is it right that I have up to a year to use it, ie. to leave for Canada, and then a year from point of arrival in Canada? Or do I have a year from when the visa's approved?

Also, regarding the $2500 required on entry, if I have a *less than amazing* credit rating, is that going to affect my eligibility? Or do I just have to display that I have $2500 available to me in a current account? Either way, I aim to pay off this (not huge) debt by the time I'd be looking at going - Winter/Spring 2014 probably.

If there's a thread talking specifically about people settling in Montreal, could somebody point me in the right direction?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blubin
Hi all - glad to have found this forum. I have a few questions about the IEC/Canada and haven't been able to really find the answers so far in this behemoth of a thread! So, sorry to rehash something that's probably been discussed hundreds of times within this thread.

I plan to apply as soon as they open the applications process again, looking at going to Montreal. How do British ex-pats find Montreal?
No idea, as I have never been to Montreal!
I'm 26, from London, a post-grad with several years experience working for a world renowned recorded music company (current job) but also a certTESOL from Trinity College - equivalent to a CELTA, to teach ESL. I have decent French but will be starting immersion classes soon, I realise it's necessary to have proficient French to get the most out of Montreal and to get a decent job. Job wise I'd love to teach ESL out there although I realise there's probably not such a strong market for it given the emphasis the QC government put on keeping the district Frencophone, rather than encouraging people to learn English. That being said, there are several English Language schools in Montreal, so fingers crossed I can get some work there. In addition to that I'd like to get a job in a pub/bar/cafe to meet some cool people. I realise that being able to speak French is crucial for that.
Once I have my visa approved, is it right that I have up to a year to use it, ie. to leave for Canada, and then a year from point of arrival in Canada? Or do I have a year from when the visa's approved?
Correct. And although it's yet to be officially confirmed, it's very likely the IEC 2013 visa duration will increase automatically from 12 to 24 months.
Also, regarding the $2500 required on entry, if I have a *less than amazing* credit rating, is that going to affect my eligibility? Or do I just have to display that I have $2500 available to me in a current account? Either way, I aim to pay off this (not huge) debt by the time I'd be looking at going - Winter/Spring 2014 probably.
Correct- you do just need the $2500. Your credit score will be neutral upon arriving in Canada if you've never been the recipient of financial services such as credit cards in that country before. You may need to get a Canadian credit card as a means to build a credit score when you arrive. If this is difficult to obtain without a credit score in the first place, I believe you can buy a pre-paid mastercard, top it up and spend on that. This will then give you a positive credit rating you can then use to get a real credit card.

If there's a thread talking specifically about people settling in Montreal, could somebody point me in the right direction?
As far as I'm aware there isn't a Montreal thread on this site. However, I'm also 26, from London, a postgraduate student + planning to go to Montreal in 2013 on the IEC visa, so feel free to ask me any questions or discuss anything with me!
Old Oct 24th 2012, 3:01 am
Just Joined

Awesome, thanks for your help. That'll be wonderful if it is extended to 24 months. Where in London are you based? Are you a Francophone?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 3:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishExpatriate
Correct. And although it's yet to be officially confirmed, it's very likely the IEC 2013 visa duration will increase automatically from 12 to 24 months.
Out of interest, what makes you think it's 'very likely'? I know it's been changed for Ireland, but what makes you think it will for the UK too, have you read something?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blubin
Awesome, thanks for your help.
You're welcome!
That'll be wonderful if it is extended to 24 months. Where in London are you based?
West! How about you? Yeah, I too am hoping for this as it will just save all the hassle of having to apply for the second year...

Are you a Francophone?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm half French and pretty fluent! Although I do have admiration for anyone who's is learning it to improve their options. What attracted you to Montreal? ...For me it's just the French way of life and I just think the place is chilled, with all the parks like in London, but I just think it will be cleaner than London, and that people will be more chilled as they have less to worry about! The idea of visiting the scenery outside of the city really appeals + cheap skiing in the mountains + cheap shopping in New York! Also, I reckon the work options are good, the Canadian economy being quite stable and not in recession like the British economy is! Whereas I'm fluent and sound pretty French, I've never spoken it at home, sound slightly English and there are words I still don't know for certain things, so I just want to live in a francophone society to brush up on that too!...
Old Oct 24th 2012, 4:41 am
Just Joined

Also west, shepherds bush.

I've been to Montreal on holiday before, briefly. Loved it. The French influence attracts me and by all accounts it's a very diverse and cultural city. Guess I just want to go somewhere different . I think it'll be great. I also want to learn a different language too.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Smithontour is an unknown quantity at this point

That would be amazing if it was extended for 24 months!!
Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Out of interest, what makes you think it's 'very likely'? I know it's been changed for Ireland, but what makes you think it will for the UK too, have you read something?
I'm not sure about its authenticity but there's this article and also one person on this thread said they'd had it confirmed at a job fair by someone from immigration and another person cited an e-mail from the IEC team that appeared to acknowledge the changes in stating that the details will be released in due course.
I'd personally be surprised if in January the IEC website still states that the UK IEC visa is for 12 months.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

That would be awesome. When does the application process typically get opened? January?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.