Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

kangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant futurekangoolari has a brilliant future
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Quick question about the ACRO police certificate: it asks for a recent color passport photo. I have one left over from when I renewed my passport in May this year - is that recent enough? Thanks
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

markstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kangoolari
Quick question about the ACRO police certificate: it asks for a recent color passport photo. I have one left over from when I renewed my passport in May this year - is that recent enough? Thanks
Yes. As long as it's still an accurate reflection it's fine!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

markstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nudda
bUmP
This year the average processing time was around 3-5 months with a few exceptions. I saw someone receive approval just a month later from notice of receipt, some people over 6 months.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nudda
bUmP
Ahem. Pls read rule 13, thx.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

segaste is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a thought on the possible IEC changes. If the length of the visa is extended to two years, what about insurance?

The requirement for the IEC is insurance to cover your entire stay so do any insurance companies offer two years insurance?
Old Oct 15th 2012, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by segaste
Just a thought on the possible IEC changes. If the length of the visa is extended to two years, what about insurance?

The requirement for the IEC is insurance to cover your entire stay so do any insurance companies offer two years insurance?
Good point here. There are some that will allow you to renew after a year without returning home, and some expensive policies that you can start whilst you are actually away.

The terms and conditions vary as you would expect, and many policies are actually invalidated if you return home even for a short trip for any reason - Xmas, family etc.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by segaste

Originally Posted by markstimson
Good point here. There are some that will allow you to renew after a year without returning home, and some expensive policies that you can start whilst you are actually away.

The terms and conditions vary as you would expect, and many policies are actually invalidated if you return home even for a short trip for any reason - Xmas, family etc.
Doesn't the province you're going to cover temporary workers under a free health insurance scheme?

I know Quebec has free public health insurance and that if you're going to that province you only need to pay for private health insurance for the first 3 months while your public health insurance registration is processed, at least, that's what I'm planning to do...
Old Oct 15th 2012, 12:26 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by BritishExpatriate
Doesn't the province you're going to cover temporary workers under a free health insurance scheme?

I know Quebec has free public health insurance and that if you're going to that province you only need to pay for private health insurance for the first 3 months while your public health insurance registration is processed, at least, that's what I'm planning to do...
Except the Provincial plans don't cover repatriation which is need for the IEC.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Except the Provincial plans don't cover repatriation which is need for the IEC.
Exactly! Many people don't get that...and even when they find out, they risk it without the proper insurance....very risky indeed!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

alfreton is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

first post here and am in abit of a pickle with visas/LMO/IEC... etc

I have been working for a Canadian company for 2 years now, 1 year based in Vancouver (with a BUNAC) and 1 year based back in the UK working long distance. I had a great chat with the Canadian embassy here in june about getting a work permit, they said all would be well considering how long i've been with the firm. anyways, last week my LMO got denied - much to mine and my bosses anger. anyways, I am now planning to get onto the IEC programme, (am 23 years old), but really do need to get out in canada sooner than in 6 months. I am currently the "european brand manager" for the company but they want me now in the head office, so is it possible to go out at the end of this year as a consultant/vistor/business vistor or something, apply for the IEC in december (while in canada) and switch over in the new year. I will be getting paid into a european account by the canadian firms euro account while im in canada. will this be ok? will there be any issues?

sorry, pretty confusing. thanks in advanced for your help! -S
Old Oct 16th 2012, 12:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfreton
Hi Guys,

first post here and am in abit of a pickle with visas/LMO/IEC... etc

I have been working for a Canadian company for 2 years now, 1 year based in Vancouver (with a BUNAC) and 1 year based back in the UK working long distance. I had a great chat with the Canadian embassy here in june about getting a work permit, they said all would be well considering how long i've been with the firm. anyways, last week my LMO got denied - much to mine and my bosses anger. anyways, I am now planning to get onto the IEC programme, (am 23 years old), but really do need to get out in canada sooner than in 6 months. I am currently the "european brand manager" for the company but they want me now in the head office, so is it possible to go out at the end of this year as a consultant/vistor/business vistor or something, apply for the IEC in december (while in canada) and switch over in the new year. I will be getting paid into a european account by the canadian firms euro account while im in canada. will this be ok? will there be any issues?

sorry, pretty confusing. thanks in advanced for your help! -S
You cannot work in Canada without a work permit, and from what you've said, you wouldn't be a 'business visitor' (i.e. just attending meetings or a conference or similar), you'd actually be working?

So you'll need either a Temp Work Permit or IEC to do that. However, I'm not sure if you ever actually needed a LMO, would you not come under an intra-company transfer? If so, you don't need a LMO to get a TWP anyway.

Or there are other options, has your employer looked in to the PNP? That would get you a work permit at first stage approval.

Or if you really do need a LMO, can your boss reapply for it? What grounds was it refused on? A lot are approved second time around, so that may be another option for you.

Good luck.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 12:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You cannot work in Canada without a work permit, and from what you've said, you wouldn't be a 'business visitor' (i.e. just attending meetings or a conference or similar), you'd actually be working?

So you'll need either a Temp Work Permit or IEC to do that. However, I'm not sure if you ever actually needed a LMO, would you not come under an intra-company transfer? If so, you don't need a LMO to get a TWP anyway.

Or there are other options, has your employer looked in to the PNP? That would get you a work permit at first stage approval.

Or if you really do need a LMO, can your boss reapply for it? What grounds was it refused on? A lot are approved second time around, so that may be another option for you.

Good luck.
thanks for your response. Yeh, we had to get an LMO, we assumed we didn't have to because of my history with the firm but, yeh, Canada sure made it hard!

I don't think we have looked into a PNP - i haven't heard of it - but im looking into it now. I am looking at this http://www.canadavisa.com/british-co...d-workers.html right now - would i not need an LMO for one of these positions?

I believe my LMO was refused because of the position we undertook the LMO, currently European Brand Manager, we applied for Head of mrkting & design - which would be my new position, and service canada (or whoever) didn't believe my skills/experience was good enough - even though i have 2 years knowledge of the company, understand its product.. etc. bit gutted really.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 12:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

thanks for your response. Yeh, we had to get an LMO, we assumed we didn't have to because of my history with the firm but, yeh, Canada sure made it hard!
If you wouldn't qualify as an intra-company transfee, then yes, you'd need a LMO for a normal TWP, and of course part of that is proving that the job has been advertised across Canada and that your employer has been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. Your history with the company doesn't come in to it I'm afraid.

I don't think we have looked into a PNP - i haven't heard of it - but im looking into it now. I am looking at this http://www.canadavisa.com/british-co...d-workers.html right now - would i not need an LMO for one of these positions?
No, you wouldn't need a LMO. But don't look at that website, only look at the official one which will give you all the info you need - http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigrat...out/index.page

But having said all the above, are you 100% sure you wouldn't qualify for an intra-company transfer TWP? As that would be your quickest easiest route over - you could get on a plane tomorrow if you wanted! So that's worth double checking first before you look at reapplying for LMO/IEC/PNP.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 16th 2012 at 12:44 am.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 1:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you wouldn't qualify as an intra-company transfee, then yes, you'd need a LMO for a normal TWP, and of course part of that is proving that the job has been advertised across Canada and that your employer has been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. Your history with the company doesn't come in to it I'm afraid.

No, you wouldn't need a LMO. But don't look at that website, only look at the official one which will give you all the info you need - http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigrat...out/index.page

But having said all the above, are you 100% sure you wouldn't qualify for an intra-company transfer TWP? As that would be your quickest easiest route over - you could get on a plane tomorrow if you wanted! So that's worth double checking first before you look at reapplying for LMO/IEC/PNP.

Good luck.
thanks for your help, im going to have a chat with work today about it and see what we can do! we really didn't expect the LMO to be refused, caught us out by surprise, and especially after 4/5 months its pretty defeating. this intra-company looks promising, will see what we can do.

thanks again.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your help, im going to have a chat with work today about it and see what we can do! we really didn't expect the LMO to be refused, caught us out by surprise, and especially after 4/5 months its pretty defeating. this intra-company looks promising, will see what we can do.

thanks again.
I suggest that you read section 5.31 of this link on pages 59 to 70.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf

Not all qualify fot Intra Co Transferee and must fall under one of these

are being transferred to a position in a Executive, Senior Managerial, or Specialized Knowledge capacity;

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.