Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

hitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant future
Default Re: International Experience Canada

I also like the part about 'duration' as this may indicate we will get an extra year like the irish folk!
Old Dec 1st 2012, 1:51 am
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

When filling out the Family Information form for the IEC visa do you put application type as Worker or does it fall under other....
Old Dec 1st 2012, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

reenie87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

I'm sorry this question isn't related to the IEC visa but i wondered if anyone could help me.

I am currently applying for my PR. I have read that it is only valid until the expiry date of your medical exam (which is one year, mine will run out Oct 2013) and from there i have to be in the country for 2 out of 5 years to keep my status. Have i read this information correctly? I was planning on going to Asia for year then move back to Canada,but now it looks like ill have to come back before Oct is it ok to just come back into Canada to validate the PR visa then leave again?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 1st 2012, 7:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reenie87
Hey,

I'm sorry this question isn't related to the IEC visa but i wondered if anyone could help me.

I am currently applying for my PR. I have read that it is only valid until the expiry date of your medical exam (which is one year, mine will run out Oct 2013) and from there i have to be in the country for 2 out of 5 years to keep my status. Have i read this information correctly? I was planning on going to Asia for year then move back to Canada,but now it looks like ill have to come back before Oct is it ok to just come back into Canada to validate the PR visa then leave again?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, you have read all of that correctly, you need to activate your PR within a year of the date of your medical, and then spend 2 out of every 5 years in Canada to maintain PR unless you're accompanying a Canadian spouse or have been sent abroad to work by a Canadian company.

For future ref, it would be better to post standalone questions in a separate thread. You could also search the Wiki which will usually have the answer, here you go - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada and http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Reside...gations-Canada

HTH.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 4:44 am
Just Joined

sparky88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a working holiday visa for Canada, I haven't left yet, am waiting to save up. I'v got until May to enter the country. What I am wondering is, is there anywhere people would recommend for organising work before they go? I'd obviously rather not pay for it but just wondering if anyone has any leads?
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

nudda is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sparky88
I've got a working holiday visa for Canada, I haven't left yet, am waiting to save up. I'v got until May to enter the country. What I am wondering is, is there anywhere people would recommend for organising work before they go? I'd obviously rather not pay for it but just wondering if anyone has any leads?
I was thinking about this yesterday. To Maximise my stay there, I will either visit on tourist visa or just call around remotely to find work before the clock ticks on the working visa.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:59 am
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it worth getting the ACRO police certificate before the IEC application opens for 2013?

There was information regarding this on the IEC website but the page has been replaced with a message saying it will be opening shortly.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbrown89
Is it worth getting the ACRO police certificate before the IEC application opens for 2013?

There was information regarding this on the IEC website but the page has been replaced with a message saying it will be opening shortly.
In short: Yes.

It's EXTREMELY unlikely that this will change, and getting your certificate early will mean it's all ready for when the IEC opens for 2013.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

John_1902 is an unknown quantity at this point

Talk about getting ready... what other paper work or information, is worth having and ready before the IEC form comes out?
Old Dec 4th 2012, 9:19 am
A taffy in Ontario

snuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant future

Found a Group on Facebook which is about IEC 2012 and there are some people who have posted that there IEC took up to 5 months to process...

Anyone got any feedback about that?

Im hoping when the window opens for 2013 it will take no more than 8 weeks to process.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snuggs
Found a Group on Facebook which is about IEC 2012 and there are some people who have posted that there IEC took up to 5 months to process...

Im hoping when the window opens for 2013 it will take no more than 8 weeks to process.
The only cases that I've heard of where that's the case are when there are issues with an application... Forms not filled out correctly, something showing up on the police certificate or a payment going astray, for example. I've never heard of an application taking that long for no reason. Of course, I'm not talking from personal experience here, so I could be wrong, but just passing on the information that I've read & seen.

In any case, I would guess its extremely rare for that to happen... Otherwise this thread would be full of people in the past complaining about it taking so long!

Last edited by KuroKuro; Dec 4th 2012 at 4:36 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 12:34 am
Just Joined

ScarySquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snuggs

My girlfriend and I posted our applications for 2012 on 11th February. I got my LOI on 3rd May and my girlfriend got hers at the beginning of June (she had some delays due to them not receiving her emails).
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

amyg339 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it January applications open? Enjoyed my last year in Canda so much im going again =)
Old Dec 8th 2012, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AOGT
Hi all

Firstly, kudos to BritishExpatriate. Your previous post answered pretty much all of my questions before I'd even typed them, and I signed up just to say thanks. How British.
You're very welcome! + I am honoured!

Anyway, I wanted to share this with you all and wondered if other people had had similar experiences with BMF or other agencies? Please feel free to point me in the direction of another thread if the topic is misplaced. For the record, I'm going to do my own paperwork.
I'm not sure what this agency does but if it's just assistance preparing the application I would say it's better to do it yourself. Saying that, do allocate some time for yourself to go through your own application two or three times once you've completed it to make sure everything is correct before posting it.
One must bear in mind also that at this stage, such agencies are probably as unaware as the rest of us of what the new criteria of eligibility for 2013 will be.
Oh, and where can I get my police check done in advance? I'm thinking it would be good to have things done in preparation. Also, is there a health check required even if I put down that I am healthy? Do I need to visit my GP or what?
I only discovered the IEC even existed in February this year. I literally scrambled into action and had the application at the High Commission within 10 days. The delay was caused by the police certificate and that actually gave me more time to check over my application forms (IMM1295, etc.) before sending it.

But I'd say yes, it's much better to do the police check now. But I really do think everyone should make a point of checking their application closely 3 times or so before sending it because last year too many people were getting rejected.

I remember I convinced myself they weren't going to accept my photo for some reason but my application was luckily just accepted first time!
Old Dec 8th 2012, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparky88
I am in the same position, May deadline too!

I want to get a skilled job there + possibly apply for permanent residence but I don't know how long it will take.

But my real concern I guess is what happens if I cannot find a skilled job or even a job just to survive! Or what if the job to survive is long hours, unpleasant and depressing! I guess these are just risks one takes embarking on a working holiday.

The obvious solution is to save up more money than you necessarily require to serve as a cushion if it takes longer than expected to find work.

With me, I have to finish of my masters degree before May also. I have not saved up any money yet and going out there with the minimum $1250 means finding work straight away upon arrival! I have a nicely paid part-time job right now but my hours are really bad and I don't have the time or desire to take a minimum wage job right now.

I too was thinking of organising work before going. Despite that I want to ideally have a skilled job while I'm in Canada, given that I'm arriving in May ahead of the summer season, I've have this new idea of taking an unskilled job but just for the summer, to get myself on my feet and account for the minimal amount of cash I'll be bringing with me to Canada.

I think this is good because:
1) I think it's easy to find seasonal work ahead of arriving.

2) It will provide peace of mind.

3) I think a seasonal summer job would be free to secure if you go straight to the employer.

4) For people looking for skilled work in Canada in the long-term, I think it's good because when you arrive if you do something unskilled, it can help shape your feelings towards Canada in a positive way. For example, if the seasonal job takes you to the mountains instead of the city you'd have otherwise gone to for a skilled job, the seasonal job and mountains will help you to chill out and enjoy it; whereas if you just go directly to the city job it is more likely to stress you out and give you a bad impression of Canada as a whole. If, after finishing the seasonal job in the mountains or whereever, you then go to the city "in the fall" to get a skilled job, if the skilled job you get isn't pleasant, in your brain that won't reflect upon Canada as a whole, as you'll have already had a brilliant experience in your seasonal job elsewhere in Canada: you'll know that the only thing to do is change to a different skilled job to become happy and not feel the need to leave Canada. Whereas, if you were to simply take a skilled job in the city as soon as you arrive in Canada, 1) There more of a chance you won't get it than if you went for a low-skilled seasonal job. 2) If it goes badly you may find that you resent Canada because of it and just want to come home to Great Britain.

SUMMARY: If arriving in May, that'st the perfect time to start a seasonal job, which is easy to arrange from overseas before your arrival in Canada, and it likely to be also a nice stress-free job that makes you feel at easy and positive about Canada during the first few months you spend in the country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.