Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Sep 3rd 2012, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

kamshaft is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by ScarySquirrel
Hi all,

Where is everyone keeping an eye out for jobs before they go? My girlfriend and I are planning on looking once we get there, but I figure there's no harm in looking ahead of time as if something perfect comes up it would be a shame to miss out.

Is Craigslist the best bet? Seems a bit hit or miss on there.
craigs list of good, also try workopolis. I found local job agencies for a few day/week type jobs.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:15 am
Just Joined

ScarySquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kamshaft
craigs list of good, also try workopolis. I found local job agencies for a few day/week type jobs.
Nice one, I'll check out Workopolis.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

markstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by LouCouHen
Hi Mark, thanks so much for this great advice. We will certainly get our Police certificates sorted soon.
We are planning on moving over after we get married, probably September 2013. Am I right in planning that we will apply for our Visas this December (2012) and once we receive them we have a year to enter Canada, then once we enter our year starts counting down?
Work wise we would ideally both (or at least one of us) like to have jobs lined up before we head over. However I think this is somewhat unrealistic seeing as we will not be able to attend face to face interviews. Do you know how likely it is to secure jobs through Skype interviews etc?
Thank you,
Louise.
Yep - a year to enter when you have received your approval letter, and your year starts upon issuance of the visa when you arrive.

Skype interviews are increasingly common but it depends on the job. The more niche and skilled the position is, the more likely a Skype interview can be scheduled. My other half had a Skype interview lined up for a position in Northern BC so it's not unheard of, just position dependant!

Good luck with it and happy to help with anymore q's!
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

markstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stephen47
Hi guys,

How are we doing tonight? I have a question for the people who have applied for a 2nd year under the IEC Working holiday. OK I received my LOI a few months ago and I am due to leave for Toronto on Tuesday 18th September but I am very tempted to do a 2nd year when the applications open in December 2012.

My question is I know what I need to do in terms of filling in all the papers but when it comes to producing a police certificate can I use the spare copy for my 2nd IEC Visa? When I sent in my police certificate for my 1st year visa I purchased an extra copy and I was wondering could this be OK to use for the 2nd year? It's dated Jan 14th 2012 so does that mean I have to wait until Jan 14th 2013 to use it? Or do I need to apply for a brand new one?

I will be forever grateful if someone can explain this to me as its very confusing.

Thank you for reading my message.
Yes - valid up to 1 year. It was formerly 3 months but this is no longer the case.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

shilohtaz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just realised that my VALIDITY DATE IS WRONG.

. On it it says validity date 22-6-12 and then the line below that goes one may not enter Canada any later than the validity date shown above.

The vailidty date 22-6-12 was the same date that i recieved the email attached below stating how i got my visa. So my visa is expired already even though i got it on d same day??

I am flying out in 2 DAYS and need someone to URGENTLY contact me!!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

ScarySquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shilohtaz1
I have just realised that my VALIDITY DATE IS WRONG.

. On it it says validity date 22-6-12 and then the line below that goes one may not enter Canada any later than the validity date shown above.

The vailidty date 22-6-12 was the same date that i recieved the email attached below stating how i got my visa. So my visa is expired already even though i got it on d same day??

I am flying out in 2 DAYS and need someone to URGENTLY contact me!!!!
Damn, that's not good

Have you tried contacting IEC?
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

yeah only way u can contact them is through email n dey make take up to 28 days to reply
Old Sep 4th 2012, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

yeah only way u can contact them is through email n dey make take up to 28 days to reply
This has happened to a few people. Email every email address you can find relating to the IEC, and put the word URGENT in the subject field. Not ideal that it's so late in the day though!
Old Sep 4th 2012, 2:41 am
Just Joined

Do you know if the other people got it sorted? i have tried every email address i could find and still not one reply. I only have 2 days left so beginning to freak out. I wonder if the worst thing happened and they did not email me back would i still get through the immigration office in canada airport?
Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Do you know if the other people got it sorted? i have tried every email address i could find and still not one reply. I only have 2 days left so beginning to freak out. I wonder if the worst thing happened and they did not email me back would i still get through the immigration office in canada airport?
A few people who mentioned the problem on this Forum had it corrected pretty quickly - 1-2 days, by emailing.

I guess it's possible that the correct dates could be saved on the CBSA system but possibly the wrong date has been entered on there too. There is a guy called Former Lancastrian on this forum who I have a feeling is a border services agent and he might be able to shed some light on it for you.

Hope it's not too stressful - it really sucks!

This guy specifically works on the program - Join LinkedIn or phone the high commission and ask directly to speak to him. http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jay-webster/55/a65/ba7

Last edited by markstimson; Sep 4th 2012 at 3:10 am.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 5:09 am
Just Joined

Yes he emailed me there so hopefully he will be able to help me otherwise i mite be bald soon with all this stress ha!! thanks so much for the help tho
Old Sep 4th 2012, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Oaken is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone recommend any travel insurance company? I need winter sports cover which immediately doubles the price unfortunately.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 2:22 am
Just Joined

ChrisHext is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all.

First time poster, but have been browsing for a few weeks trying to pick up what info I can.

My girlfriend and I are looking to apply to the IEC for a year but have many questions.

1) Is there any point using organisations (BUNAC, STA etc.) to help with the process? I've seen posts saying it's not worth it - but will they not be useful when it comes to getting jobs? I think getting employment is our biggest worry for when we get out there.

2) In terms of employment, what sort of jobs do people go for? My degree is in live event technology (setting up for concerts, theatre, corporate do's etc.) but have been working as admin/office assistant in the family business for the last 2 years. My girlfriend has 5 years of experience as a receptionist/office admin/finance administrator and is studying for her AAT accounting qualification, plus grew up in Ireland so has plenty of outdoors experience (e.g. with horses etc.). Is office work and/or work outdoors such as on horse-ranches readily available for IEC participants? Or is it all bar/cafe work or ski-resort stuff? Do many people arrange work before they go out or just wing it once they get there? In either case, how do you go about it?

3) My girlfriend is Irish but was born in Australia so also has Aussie citizenship. Sources seem to differ on what she can and can't do in terms of applying. Is she allowed to apply in exactly the same way as me, i.e. using the same forms and sending it to the same place, the only difference being her passport is Irish and not UK? Some have told us that she can't apply because although she is a UK resident she doesn't hold a UK passport, but she can't apply through Ireland either as she hasn't lived there in several years. They said it would be easier if she applied using her Aussie passport but then another agency told us she COULD apply as an Irish person in the UK and that that would be simpler than applying as an Aussie! Confusing or what! Has anyone else had this or a similar situation?

4) What exactly needs to be sent off in the initial application? The forms from last year look a bit too simple to fill out (7 pages but minimal writing required?) so I'm guessing I'm missing something. Obviously the police checks which we'll get before the process begins in January. We won't need medicals. Passport copies. Anything else? CV?

5) Do many people do their IECs in Alberta? I'm a huge Edmonton Oilers fan, not that I'd base my entire IEC around ice hockey, but Alberta (Edmonton, Calgary, Red Deer etc.) seems like my kind of place plus it would potentially fulfill my (lame?) dream of seeing the Oilers play at home. Are there opportunities for IECs in Alberta I guess is my question.

6) How much will the entire process cost generally speaking? Obviously we need $2500-$3000 at least each for when we actually enter Canada (am I right in thinking you no longer have to have that at the time of sending the initial application?), plus travel insurance (how much? And can you pay that monthly or does it have to be upfront?), plus flights (best/cheapest airline? How far in advance to book?), plus application cost ($150?), plus work permit (or is that included in application price?), police check (£35-£40), am I missing anything?

Sorry if this post is too long and/or breaking forum netiquette, just so many questions whirling around inside our heads! Scary/confusing/exciting process - if we can afford it! We both work full time but live in a rented house (i.e. not with our parents which I gather a good deal - though not all of course - of people do which enables them to save up the money needed?) so don't get the chance to save much... Anyone got any tips on that too would be much appreciated haha! Might have to move back in with the parents, though as a couple that wouldn't be too much fun...

Any advice will be much appreciated people!

Chris
Old Sep 5th 2012, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisHext
Hi all.

First time poster, but have been browsing for a few weeks trying to pick up what info I can.

My girlfriend and I are looking to apply to the IEC for a year but have many questions.

1) Is there any point using organisations (BUNAC, STA etc.) to help with the process? I've seen posts saying it's not worth it - but will they not be useful when it comes to getting jobs? I think getting employment is our biggest worry for when we get out there.

2) In terms of employment, what sort of jobs do people go for? My degree is in live event technology (setting up for concerts, theatre, corporate do's etc.) but have been working as admin/office assistant in the family business for the last 2 years. My girlfriend has 5 years of experience as a receptionist/office admin/finance administrator and is studying for her AAT accounting qualification, plus grew up in Ireland so has plenty of outdoors experience (e.g. with horses etc.). Is office work and/or work outdoors such as on horse-ranches readily available for IEC participants? Or is it all bar/cafe work or ski-resort stuff? Do many people arrange work before they go out or just wing it once they get there? In either case, how do you go about it?

3) My girlfriend is Irish but was born in Australia so also has Aussie citizenship. Sources seem to differ on what she can and can't do in terms of applying. Is she allowed to apply in exactly the same way as me, i.e. using the same forms and sending it to the same place, the only difference being her passport is Irish and not UK? Some have told us that she can't apply because although she is a UK resident she doesn't hold a UK passport, but she can't apply through Ireland either as she hasn't lived there in several years. They said it would be easier if she applied using her Aussie passport but then another agency told us she COULD apply as an Irish person in the UK and that that would be simpler than applying as an Aussie! Confusing or what! Has anyone else had this or a similar situation?

4) What exactly needs to be sent off in the initial application? The forms from last year look a bit too simple to fill out (7 pages but minimal writing required?) so I'm guessing I'm missing something. Obviously the police checks which we'll get before the process begins in January. We won't need medicals. Passport copies. Anything else? CV?

5) Do many people do their IECs in Alberta? I'm a huge Edmonton Oilers fan, not that I'd base my entire IEC around ice hockey, but Alberta (Edmonton, Calgary, Red Deer etc.) seems like my kind of place plus it would potentially fulfill my (lame?) dream of seeing the Oilers play at home. Are there opportunities for IECs in Alberta I guess is my question.

6) How much will the entire process cost generally speaking? Obviously we need $2500-$3000 at least each for when we actually enter Canada (am I right in thinking you no longer have to have that at the time of sending the initial application?), plus travel insurance (how much? And can you pay that monthly or does it have to be upfront?), plus flights (best/cheapest airline? How far in advance to book?), plus application cost ($150?), plus work permit (or is that included in application price?), police check (£35-£40), am I missing anything?

Sorry if this post is too long and/or breaking forum netiquette, just so many questions whirling around inside our heads! Scary/confusing/exciting process - if we can afford it! We both work full time but live in a rented house (i.e. not with our parents which I gather a good deal - though not all of course - of people do which enables them to save up the money needed?) so don't get the chance to save much... Anyone got any tips on that too would be much appreciated haha! Might have to move back in with the parents, though as a couple that wouldn't be too much fun...

Any advice will be much appreciated people!

Chris
1. No difference in using BUNAC or not ,many chose not to use it.
2. Im guessing that your type of employment might be unionized and very closed shop.
3. If she has dual citizenship then she must apply under one of them. I believe the age limit for Irish citizens is 35 and not 30 for UK citizens.
4. Read the guidelines from the IEC website
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ex.aspx?view=d
5. Lots choose to do IEC in Alberta and the oppurtunities are there its just finding them.
6. The application fee is $150 and that includes the work permit. BTW for Canadians doing the same in the UK I believe its 194 quid so you are getting it cheap
Read the IEC link I provided most questions can be answered.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 7:55 am
Just Joined

LouCouHen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markstimson
Yep - a year to enter when you have received your approval letter, and your year starts upon issuance of the visa when you arrive.

Skype interviews are increasingly common but it depends on the job. The more niche and skilled the position is, the more likely a Skype interview can be scheduled. My other half had a Skype interview lined up for a position in Northern BC so it's not unheard of, just position dependant!

Good luck with it and happy to help with anymore q's!
Thanks so much for your help

I do have another question actually, something which I have only just realised/thought about.

My passport expires in June 2014; I have read that it must be valid for a minimum of 12 months plus the processing time. So let's say the processing time takes 5 months (worst case scenario) this would take me up until June 2014 - which is when my Passport will expire.

So it makes sense for me to renew my Passport in advance to avoid any possible problems here. However I am getting married in August 2013 so my surname will change - this throws a spanner in the works as I hear that you get allocated a Visa number which is specific to your Passport.

So my dilemma is when to renew my Passport without causing any potential problems with getting my Visa...

Any suggestions...!?

Many thanks,

Louise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.