International Experience Canada

Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

michty6 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by the lythes
We're doing that, we've got flights booked for 30th. Is it common practice to go over as a visitor and flagpole as we're bit unsure how acceptable it is.... we're going nevertheless. We've also booked a return flight for 4 months time so they ask no questions when we go as visitors....besides there was barley any cost difference with a one way and the return....
Originally Posted by roberto_the_besto
Hey, I have done exactly the same. I have to return in November. I have my LOI but I think that I am going to enter as a visitor so that when I do find a job I will be able to work for a full solid year if that makes sense? This therefore means that I would have to flagpole. I hope this works. I'm so nervous about it all.

Robert
FYI I did exactly this this year. I went across in September 2011. I had already applied to IEC and was in the final check process, so I bought a (refundable) return flight for 3 months later just in case. The Border agent sent me to the desk they send you to for further questions. The guy pulled up my file and could see on the computer that I had applied for IEC. I asked him about flagpoling he said it was fine. No problems and they stamped me in for 6 months as a visitor.

My IEC visa then came through a couple of weeks later. But to maximise the IEC period I didn't even activate it until I got a job offer - which I did and entered on this visa in January 2012.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

the lythes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by michty6
FYI I did exactly this this year. I went across in September 2011. I had already applied to IEC and was in the final check process, so I bought a (refundable) return flight for 3 months later just in case. The Border agent sent me to the desk they send you to for further questions. The guy pulled up my file and could see on the computer that I had applied for IEC. I asked him about flagpoling he said it was fine. No problems and they stamped me in for 6 months as a visitor.

My IEC visa then came through a couple of weeks later. But to maximise the IEC period I didn't even activate it until I got a job offer - which I did and entered on this visa in January 2012.
Really... I didn't realise they checked up on Visa applications at border control!! we've only just got our sent to CIC letter.. we were planning on just saying that we were only staying for 4 months as a visitor and not telling them about the IEC application just incase it didnt happen.. as we were then gonna try a different route through an immigration lawyer to get a temp work permit with a LMO letter from an employer!! So basically if we say that, then they'll know we lying.... So we should say that we have applied for IEC visa in your opinion and tell them the truth??........
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Dandaman1 is on a distinguished road

Really... I didn't realise they checked up on Visa applications at border control!! we've only just got our sent to CIC letter.. we were planning on just saying that we were only staying for 4 months as a visitor and not telling them about the IEC application just incase it didnt happen.. as we were then gonna try a different route through an immigration lawyer to get a temp work permit with a LMO letter from an employer!! So basically if we say that, then they'll know we lying.... So we should say that we have applied for IEC visa in your opinion and tell them the truth??........
Do not lie - they will have it on their system and they will know, yes. I plan on being honest, telling them I'm waiting on my LOI still (if I am), that I won't be working without it, that I have the means to support myself, and that I have a return flight within 6 months (or funds for a flight). If you meet visitor requirements, and do not appear suspicious or deceitful, then there is no theoretical reason for refusal of entry that I can see.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

sunshine87 is an unknown quantity at this point

That is really interesting, didn't realise we could do that...how do you activate it once already in Canada? Can you just go to an immigration office in the city, or do you have to get a flight out and back into the country?

Also has anyone heard of any emails recently after you have been passed onto CIC saying allocation has run out?? I have mine but my best friend had troubles and had to reapply and she has just been passed to the CIC...but as the website ran out of allocations before she started getting the eligible emails so we thought she had no hope, but now praying for a miracle as it seems they are still being issued??
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dandaman1
Do not lie - they will have it on their system and they will know, yes. I plan on being honest, telling them I'm waiting on my LOI still (if I am), that I won't be working without it, that I have the means to support myself, and that I have a return flight within 6 months (or funds for a flight). If you meet visitor requirements, and do not appear suspicious or deceitful, then there is no theoretical reason for refusal of entry that I can see.
Yup Dandaman is spot on. I actually told the first Border agent I was there for a wedding (the truth) and was going to do some travelling (also the truth) and just didn't mention the IEC. But she thought it was weird that I had a return flight 3 months after I arrived, so she sent me to the other office where the guy pulled up on his computer that I had an outstanding IEC application. He actually didn't even care that much, I think he was quite happy as it explained why I had such a strange flight booked!

I had been to Canada several times before this, in all my experiences I have found that, despite being one of the friendliest countries in the world, they have the most unfriendly staff at the actual customs gates (they will grill you), but the guys in the office who do further checks are fine.

Originally Posted by sunshine87
That is really interesting, didn't realise we could do that...how do you activate it once already in Canada? Can you just go to an immigration office in the city, or do you have to get a flight out and back into the country?

Also has anyone heard of any emails recently after you have been passed onto CIC saying allocation has run out?? I have mine but my best friend had troubles and had to reapply and she has just been passed to the CIC...but as the website ran out of allocations before she started getting the eligible emails so we thought she had no hope, but now praying for a miracle as it seems they are still being issued??
You can activate it by taking a trip to Niagara or anywhere on the Canada-Us border, where you walk across the border into the US and are then 'rejected' from the US (this is just a theoretical rejection, doesn't show up on any records or anything) before you 're-enter' Canada (this is called 'flagpoling' for some reason - there should be plenty of information about this on this forum). A friend of mine in Canada (also on IEC) did it fairly recently.

I can't help on your 2nd point sadly, haven't heard of anything like that.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Yup Dandaman is spot on. I actually told the first Border agent I was there for a wedding (the truth) and was going to do some travelling (also the truth) and just didn't mention the IEC. But she thought it was weird that I had a return flight 3 months after I arrived, so she sent me to the other office where the guy pulled up on his computer that I had an outstanding IEC application. He actually didn't even care that much, I think he was quite happy as it explained why I had such a strange flight booked!

I had been to Canada several times before this, in all my experiences I have found that, despite being one of the friendliest countries in the world, they have the most unfriendly staff at the actual customs gates (they will grill you), but the guys in the office who do further checks are fine.

You can activate it by taking a trip to Niagara (called 'flagpoling') where you exit the country on the Canada-US border, walk across the bridge over Niagara into the US and are then 'rejected' from the US (this is just a theoretical rejection, doesn't show up on any records or anything) before you 're-enter' Canada. There should be plenty of information about this on this forum. A friend of mine in Canada (also on IEC) did it fairly recently.

I can't help on your 2nd point sadly, haven't heard of anything like that.
No that's good, I mean, no-one here has heard of them rejecting people based on officially visas running out yet? As obviously the website says no more visas left, but people are still receiving them? So something is going on!

I am going to be in Vancouver so Niagara trip is not possible. Does anyone know the nearest point for Vancouver? Is it not possible to change to the working visa at the immigration office? Do you definitely have to leave the country? Thanks!
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sunshine87
No that's good, I mean, no-one here has heard of them rejecting people based on officially visas running out yet? As obviously the website says no more visas left, but people are still receiving them? So something is going on!

I am going to be in Vancouver so Niagara trip is not possible. Does anyone know the nearest point for Vancouver? Is it not possible to change to the working visa at the immigration office? Do you definitely have to leave the country? Thanks!
I believe that if you have a NOR or if you even sent your application off stamped before the date on the IEC website you are usually fine (as long as your application is not rejected). But no-one really knows regarding this as they change their minds. This belief is based on what happened last year.

You can drive from Vancouver down to the Canada-US border near Seattle and do the same thing. As far as I'm aware you cannot change it at an immigration office as you have to be stamped out of Canada first.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Great thanks that's really interesting.

Well we are currently in Belize and need to leave on 12th July. Praying the LOI comes through for my friend (she was passed to CIC 17th June) before that so after all this stress we can go together as originally planned anyway if not I will go and she has to decide if it's worth risking the flag poling or seeking work elsewhere.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Ashleigh.james87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

The company I'm hoping to be employed by in Canada offers their employees healthcare and dental so does anyone know if I still need to buy insurance for the year to show the immigration officer?

Thanks
Old Jun 20th 2012, 9:27 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ashleigh.james87
Hey,

The company I'm hoping to be employed by in Canada offers their employees healthcare and dental so does anyone know if I still need to buy insurance for the year to show the immigration officer?

Thanks
Yes, I think you probably do. The healthcare/dental offered by your employer will, more than likely, cover supplemental items only. eg, will most likely not cover doctor visits or hospital visits. Such items are covered by the Provincial health scheme.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

age26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it ok to enter on a one way ticket if you have your LOI?? Thanks
Old Jun 20th 2012, 9:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ashleigh.james87
Hey,

Thanks
Yes you do, it's a condition of the visa.

HTH.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

roberto_the_besto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by age26
Is it ok to enter on a one way ticket if you have your LOI?? Thanks
Yes that is completely fine but you must meet the requirements showing proof of funds (as recent as 7 days before you fly) and valid travel insurance. Many people are asking if insurance is necessary? YES IT IS, especially repatriation which will fly you back home in case of a serious medical incident. You never know.

Did anybody take out baggage, money insurance? I chose the budget option as the baggage is only paid up to £150 and I have to pay the first £75.

I used ACE Travel insurance.

Good luck

Last edited by roberto_the_besto; Jun 20th 2012 at 11:56 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:28 am
Just Joined

gemma87 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was a passed to CIC on 1st of June and woken up today with my LOI! Looks like I need to talk to my work. Thinking of heading to Vancouver in September, maybe see some of you there!?

Application sent: 2nd May
Received at embassy: 3rd May
NOR: 8th May
Payment request: 28th May
Sent: 29th May
Proof of payment: 29th May
Passed to CIC: 1st June
LOI: 21st June
Old Jun 21st 2012, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Dandaman1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gemma87
I was a passed to CIC on 1st of June and woken up today with my LOI! Looks like I need to talk to my work. Thinking of heading to Vancouver in September, maybe see some of you there!?

Application sent: 2nd May
Received at embassy: 3rd May
NOR: 8th May
Payment request: 28th May
Sent: 29th May
Proof of payment: 29th May
Passed to CIC: 1st June
LOI: 21st June
As did I, and on the day before I am due to leave! Can you believe the timing!? I'm absolutely elated at the moment

Sent: 28/04
Received: 04/05
Payment request: 24/05
Paid and proof of payment sent: 25/05
Passed to CIC: 01/06
LOI: 21/06

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.