Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: International Experience Canada

awful typing up there...it was ACE, backpackers insurance.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

markstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scottyxx
you only get OHIP if you work
Just to add to this, in Ontario at least and I suspect in other provinces, you can only register for OHIP first time around if you can demonstrate that you have a contract of employment for at least 6 months hence from your date of application.

Re your particular situation 'the lythes', you need insurance which specifically includes the cost of repatriation, not just medical. It's also risky, and in breach of the visa infact, if you were to cancel your insurance. This paragraph is taken directly from the 2012 'Applicant declarations' section on the IEC application form, which we agreed to adhere to:

"Before entering Canada, I will procure and retain comprehensive health-care insurance, including insurance for hospitalization and repatriation, which will cover my entire stay in Canada. I acknowledge that, at the time my work permit is being issued, a Border Services Officer will issue a permit that is valid for the same period of time as that of my insurance coverage and that I am not eligible to extend my work permit at a later date. I acknowledge that I am fully responsible for covering any medical expenses I may incur during my stay in Canada as a result of injury or illness. I acknowledge that if I choose to cancel my health-care insurance at any time during my stay in Canada I will no longer be eligible to participate in the IEC, and neither the Government of Canada nor the provincial or territorial government in the Canadian province or territory in which I am travelling can be held accountable for my medical fees and expenses."

Better to be safe than sorry!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

the lythes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markstimson
Just to add to this, in Ontario at least and I suspect in other provinces, you can only register for OHIP first time around if you can demonstrate that you have a contract of employment for at least 6 months hence from your date of application.

Re your particular situation 'the lythes', you need insurance which specifically includes the cost of repatriation, not just medical. It's also risky, and in breach of the visa infact, if you were to cancel your insurance. This paragraph is taken directly from the 2012 'Applicant declarations' section on the IEC application form, which we agreed to adhere to:

"Before entering Canada, I will procure and retain comprehensive health-care insurance, including insurance for hospitalization and repatriation, which will cover my entire stay in Canada. I acknowledge that, at the time my work permit is being issued, a Border Services Officer will issue a permit that is valid for the same period of time as that of my insurance coverage and that I am not eligible to extend my work permit at a later date. I acknowledge that I am fully responsible for covering any medical expenses I may incur during my stay in Canada as a result of injury or illness. I acknowledge that if I choose to cancel my health-care insurance at any time during my stay in Canada I will no longer be eligible to participate in the IEC, and neither the Government of Canada nor the provincial or territorial government in the Canadian province or territory in which I am travelling can be held accountable for my medical fees and expenses."

Better to be safe than sorry!
Wow ok, hadnt seen that, goes without saying
Old Jun 26th 2012, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by the lythes
Wow ok, hadnt seen that, goes without saying
Al that being said though, Last year, I already had a job offer, and only came in with 1 months insurance..they never asked for proof so I feel I was more lucky than anything else!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

.c.s.o. is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, here we go. Long time follower first time poster (and it's going to be a long one).

Received my LOI last night. Not sure on my exact timeline but I applied mid April and was passed to CIC on the 6th Jun.

I've been in Canada as a tourist since early April and my status runs out in October. I applied for IEC to keep me going while I apply for PR through common law sponsorship and now I've got a couple questions for the more experienced members.

I have a flight booked to go home in October but I haven't decided if I'm going to be on it or not. If I do go then it'll make the insurance bit easier (I'll just go with the ACE Backpackers insurance). But if I decide to flagpole, then ACE wont be valid because my 'trip' wont be starting in the UK. I'm not too bothered about not having valid insurance as long as it gets me past Immigration but if there is a cheap alternative that would be cover me then it's win win.

Scotty, what kind health plan did you buy for your second round of IEC. What health insurance arrangements are other 'flagpollers' making?

My second question, Scotty, is did you apply for PR before or after you cashed in your LOI for your work permit? If it's best to flagpole before I send off my PR paperwork then I guess I'll have to drive down to Niagara.

Anyway, that's all for now, thanks for any help you guys can offer!

Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

I applied for my PR just before my current (2011) IEC expired. I am heading to Niagara this weekend to flagpole.

If you are a visitor, technically you should have had travel insurance before you came into the country - I think this is what immigration will tell you.

I got a Canadian policy because I am employed by a Canadian Company, and I currently have OHIP. I feel like neither would apply to you.

You better not take any chances not having insurance at the border having lived as a Visitor here without any, ACE is valid for leaving and coming back to Canada, so you might be able to take out a policy with them.

My policy was with GMS and was $63 for the entire year, but this is because I have OHIP and fully comprehensive health cover from my employer. I basically just bought this policy to "have insurance" for my flagpolling.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Just checked GMS you cannot apply if you do not have OHIP coverage.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

For anyone looking for cheap insurance to just please immigration officers, 247travelinsurance.co.uk has a 1 year backpacker policy for 185 GBP for the year.

Or https://www.flexicover.co.uk/Gap_Year_Travel_Insurance has one for 167 GBP.

Or, essentialtravel.co.uk even cheaper, for £149.33

Last edited by scottyxx; Jun 26th 2012 at 7:09 am.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

ACE is valid for leaving and coming back to Canada, so you might be able to take out a policy with them.
The Problem with ACE is that officially you have to start and eventually finish your trip in the UK. Both of which I wont be doing. I just don't know if the border guard will now that this will invalidate my insurance.

On the other topic, do you think it would do any harm sending off a PR application while having an LOI waiting to be converted?
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

I wouldn't risk going without insurance since you have been here as a visitor, ry looking at other policies, like the ones I listed above and see if you can get something. >> This one allows you to purchase insurance one you have left home, but its pretty expensive: http://www.worldnomads.com/index.asp...d6eddc98e0b5_1

I am not sure if I 100% understand your question, but I'll answer what i think your asking. Your LOI is outland, your PR will be inland, these two do not affect each other. PR and work permits are generally not related, you may have to inform the PR people of a change of status if you apply as a visitor, then change to a worker. But I am not 100% sure on that fact, as I only really know what I have experienced myself.

Also, I feel they are not that picky, but you never know - some people have bad luck. Last year I didn't have Insurance, nor was I asked for it. I didn't really worry about the risk last year, but now I have PR in the works, I really do not want a "denied entry" against me.

I am trying to think of what advice to give you, but I guess if you don't have a work permit, you don't have a social insurance number and so are no different from a holiday maker in the eyes of the government? This is why I think it might have to be travel insurance for you, you could risk it, but its up to you.

Last edited by scottyxx; Jun 26th 2012 at 7:23 am.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

I wouldn't risk going without insurance since you have been here as a visitor, ry looking at other policies, like the ones I listed above and see if you can get something. >> This one allows you to purchase insurance one you have left home, but its pretty expensive: http://www.worldnomads.com/index.asp...d6eddc98e0b5_1
That is fairly expensive. I'll have to see what other options there are. If all else fails then I might just have to fly home buy the insurance and then come back.

I am not sure if I 100% understand your question, but I'll answer what i think your asking. Your LOI is outland, your PR will be inland, these two do not affect each other. PR and work permits are generally not related, you may have to inform the PR people of a change of status if you apply as a visitor, then change to a worker. But I am not 100% sure on that fact, as I only really know what I have experienced myself.
Well my Application will be outland, as it's much quicker. I was just curious if having an LOI that you haven't used yet when you send the application would have any affect. If it wasn't for the insurance thing then I'd just go ahead and flagpole just to be safe.

I'll have to do some research and maybe ask in the PR thread.

I'm guessing when you flagpole you can use a Canadian bank statement for proof of funds?
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah using my Canadian TFSA as funds, when I mailed my application I had an outstanding LOI - it won't affect it.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by .c.s.o.
That is fairly expensive. I'll have to see what other options there are. If all else fails then I might just have to fly home buy the insurance and then come back.

Well my Application will be outland, as it's much quicker. I was just curious if having an LOI that you haven't used yet when you send the application would have any affect. If it wasn't for the insurance thing then I'd just go ahead and flagpole just to be safe.

I'll have to do some research and maybe ask in the PR thread.

I'm guessing when you flagpole you can use a Canadian bank statement for proof of funds?
You might be able to try RBC Visitor insurance, or does your common law spouses policy have family coverage? If so that might cover you.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

You might be able to try RBC Visitor insurance, or does your common law spouses policy have family coverage? If so that might cover you.
She only has OHIP. She doesnt have any extra through her emplyer because she works as a self employed contractor.

I'll try the RBC thing, hopefully they cover repatriation.

Thanks
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

This might work:

https://www.safevisit.ca/getquote/index.php?step=2#ON

Visitor insurance, looks like it might work. Cheapest Policy is $360.

P.S I work at the UoG, I see you went there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.