International Experience Canada

Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:24 am
Just Joined

KateDil is just really niceKateDil is just really niceKateDil is just really niceKateDil is just really niceKateDil is just really niceKateDil is just really niceKateDil is just really niceKateDil is just really nice
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Hey guys I know this might sound a little strange but has anyone taken their dog with them to Canada? Especially on the IEC programme! Any advice appreciated!!
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

.c.s.o. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KateDil
Hey guys I know this might sound a little strange but has anyone taken their dog with them to Canada? Especially on the IEC programme! Any advice appreciated!!
Strangely enough...

My partner brought our dog back with her in April. She is Canadian and was living with me in the UK for 18months so I can only tell you the general stuff and nothing IEC specific.

It's much easier coming this way than it was going to the UK with her. We booked her onto an AirTransat flight as excess baggage for a couple hundred quid. If think small dogs can go as carry on but they have to be really small. And I think certain types of dogs can only fly at certain times of the year (dogs with smushed faces like French Bulldogs and Boxers).

You will need a basic health certificate to prove that your dog is vaccinated for rabies. When you arrive, you have to declare that you are bringing in live animals and they send you to customs where you have to pay a small fee. I think it was about $75. I don't think we had to do much else but I'll ask the Mrs when she gets back from work and let you know.

You might want to think twice about bringing your dog if you intend to take it back to the UK at any point. That is a royal pain. It takes about 9 months and costs a fortune. You need to get a health certificate from the CFIA (Canadian Defra) and have blood tests sent to the States a certain amount of time after another rabies vaccine. It will then have to be shipped cargo (crazy money), not excess baggage, with an approved airline making sure to deworm the dog the day before. You also have to pay handling fees at the other end where the dog gets checked over by the Animal Welcome Centre. If they find anything wrong then it's straight to quarantine. They keep changing the rules too so it might be slightly different now. That just what we had to do.

But if you intend to stay then that's super easy. Your dog will love it, Canada is really dog friendly. There are dog parks all over the place and depending on where you are going plenty of swimming holes.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Loui-d is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,

finally got my LOI this morning! I am sooo happy now i can finally put my plans into motion. This forum without a doubt has been great support when I secretly panic. Good luck to the rest of you still waiting.

my timeline if it helps those waiting-

App sent-11th May
NOR-16th May
Payment request-14th June
Payment sent + proof of payment-16th June
passed to CIC-18th June
LOI-27th June!!
Old Jun 27th 2012, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Jennika is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loui-d
hi all,

finally got my LOI this morning! I am sooo happy now i can finally put my plans into motion. This forum without a doubt has been great support when I secretly panic. Good luck to the rest of you still waiting.

App sent-11th May
NOR-16th May
passed to CIC-18th June
LOI-27th June!!
Aw yay congrats! I'm still waiting for mine but I think we have almost the same timeline so hopefully not too long!
Old Jun 27th 2012, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Stewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent news...I got sent to CIC on the 16th....hopefully not to long then, anyone else on that date?
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

roberto_the_besto is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I've just failed my driving test in the UK lol. I was hoping I would pass so that I can use my full drivers licence as ID over in Canada because I got told that they don't accept provisional licences. Is that correct?

Also, would I be able to swap my provisional licence for a provisional Canadian Licence?

Is there any way of getting a different type of ID that meets Canadian requirements or is there a scheme in Canada that is similar to the UK where you can prove your age? I get asked in the UK all of the time for ID even though I am 24 and I am NOT carry my passport around with me everywhere.

Robert
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Stewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond reputeStewart84 has a reputation beyond repute

Everywhere I went I'm Toronto accepted provisional Id
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:46 am
Just Joined

LakeLouise is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,

App sent-11th May
NOR-16th May
passed to CIC-18th June
LOI-27th June!!
That's amazing, congratulations! I was passed to CIC the same dy as you, so I hope that mine comes in the next few days, I want to fly out on the 17th July so fingers crossed! Where are you heading?
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stewart84
Everywhere I went I'm Toronto accepted provisional Id
A UK provisional driver's licence? I hope so
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:58 am
Just Joined

KateDil is just really niceKateDil is just really niceKateDil is just really niceKateDil is just really niceKateDil is just really niceKateDil is just really niceKateDil is just really niceKateDil is just really nice

Originally Posted by .c.s.o.
Strangely enough...

My partner brought our dog back with her in April. She is Canadian and was living with me in the UK for 18months so I can only tell you the general stuff and nothing IEC specific.

It's much easier coming this way than it was going to the UK with her. We booked her onto an AirTransat flight as excess baggage for a couple hundred quid. If think small dogs can go as carry on but they have to be really small. And I think certain types of dogs can only fly at certain times of the year (dogs with smushed faces like French Bulldogs and Boxers).

You will need a basic health certificate to prove that your dog is vaccinated for rabies. When you arrive, you have to declare that you are bringing in live animals and they send you to customs where you have to pay a small fee. I think it was about $75. I don't think we had to do much else but I'll ask the Mrs when she gets back from work and let you know.

You might want to think twice about bringing your dog if you intend to take it back to the UK at any point. That is a royal pain. It takes about 9 months and costs a fortune. You need to get a health certificate from the CFIA (Canadian Defra) and have blood tests sent to the States a certain amount of time after another rabies vaccine. It will then have to be shipped cargo (crazy money), not excess baggage, with an approved airline making sure to deworm the dog the day before. You also have to pay handling fees at the other end where the dog gets checked over by the Animal Welcome Centre. If they find anything wrong then it's straight to quarantine. They keep changing the rules too so it might be slightly different now. That just what we had to do.

But if you intend to stay then that's super easy. Your dog will love it, Canada is really dog friendly. There are dog parks all over the place and depending on where you are going plenty of swimming holes.

Ahhh thank you so much for such a detailed response!! England just sucks for everything let's be honest ha. It's actually my boyfriends dog I plan on coming out first then he wants to come join me a few months later with Charlie (he's a dopey chocolate lab) thanks again!
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LakeLouise
That's amazing, congratulations! I was passed to CIC the same dy as you, so I hope that mine comes in the next few days, I want to fly out on the 17th July so fingers crossed! Where are you heading?
thanks so much, i'm greatful i havent gone through the stresses half the other applicants have faced. I'm starting in Vancouver- my best friend is out there on the IEC at the minute so it makes sense to share here apartment until i get settled.

i'm planning on entering as a visitor first to make the most of my Visa, has anyone done this? If so how?
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

ye nowhere had a problem with a UK provisional. Some bouncers even made fun of me for not having passed my test (they were used to seeing so many uk id's they knew the difference)
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jennika
Aw yay congrats! I'm still waiting for mine but I think we have almost the same timeline so hopefully not too long!
Thanks! Yes i think you are right, i remember we are similar, good luck it should be with you soon. Try not to think about the whole thing- time flies by quicker
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stewart84
ye nowhere had a problem with a UK provisional. Some bouncers even made fun of me for not having passed my test (they were used to seeing so many uk id's they knew the difference)
Wow that is a relief. I'm happy now. Thanks mate
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

LakeLouise is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks so much, i'm greatful i havent gone through the stresses half the other applicants have faced. I'm starting in Vancouver- my best friend is out there on the IEC at the minute so it makes sense to share here apartment until i get settled.

i'm planning on entering as a visitor first to make the most of my Visa, has anyone done this? If so how?
when you enter, let them know you have an iec work permit, but are entering as a tourist to begin with. if they let you in as a tourist (they should), when you want to begin working you will need to go back to a broder and 'flagpole'. that basically means crossing into the states, but usually you don't even go that far. then at the border office they will issue your work permit, just like they would at the airport.
vancouver is amazing, one of my favourite cities in the world, you'll have an amazing time! try and get to kelowna this summer, play on the lake!

hope this helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.