International Experience Canada

Old Jun 25th 2012, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

roberto_the_besto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by LDN2TO
I believe that ACE insurance gets thehowever I have been sent a link to Protectyourbubble.com - never used either so cannot comment on how good they are I am afraid however just populated a quote on both and the latter seems competitive (haven't read the small print though!).

Not sure if that helps or adds to the confusion….. myself and my wife will hopefully be heading out at the end of Aug and still need to purchase our own insurance.
Please don't be confused by annual multi-trip and backpacker/gap year. Normally annual multi-trip have a duration (max 90 days). Other insurance companies that sell backpacker insurance invalidate your insurance if you come back home.

I recommend ACE Travel Insurance.

If you look at something else and it is showing anything less than £100 then I'd say it's too good to be true.

Rob
Old Jun 25th 2012, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Jennika is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LakeLouise
yeah i know, its so frustrating though! i just want it NOW! haha!
what do you think the chances of being turned down at this point are?
I don't know.... I don't know whether IEC just go through the motions of processing applications w/o regard to the quota and it's only when they get to CIC they are refused if the quota is full or... everything's good and we'll get our LOIs soon!

Btw, kinda off topic but I visited Lake Louise near Calgary last year - what a beautiful place
Old Jun 25th 2012, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

LakeLouise is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jennika
I don't know.... I don't know whether IEC just go through the motions of processing applications w/o regard to the quota and it's only when they get to CIC they are refused if the quota is full or... everything's good and we'll get our LOIs soon!

Btw, kinda off topic but I visited Lake Louise near Calgary last year - what a beautiful place
yep it's pretty nice, hence the burning desire to get back out so fast! if the iec continue processing without regard to the quota, and then we get turned down at this stage i will be truly raging as it's unfair to keep giving someone hope even though you know it's futile. in addition, they would refund me the £90 fee, but NOT the £30 bank charge that i paid in good faith, thinking there would be a visa at the end of it. beginning to get a little pessimistic it seems!
Old Jun 25th 2012, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

yep it's pretty nice, hence the burning desire to get back out so fast! if the iec continue processing without regard to the quota, and then we get turned down at this stage i will be truly raging as it's unfair to keep giving someone hope even though you know it's futile. in addition, they would refund me the £90 fee, but NOT the £30 bank charge that i paid in good faith, thinking there would be a visa at the end of it. beginning to get a little pessimistic it seems!
£30 bank charge? And I know I paid close to £80 for the premium (as opposed to standard which is slower) ACPO police check - can't believe how much it costs to prove you're not a criminal!

I'm still hopeful that they wouldn't have passed me onto CIC if there wasn't a chance of getting a visa (just don't want to get dissapointed if I don't!)
Old Jun 25th 2012, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jennika
£30 bank charge? And I know I paid close to £80 for the premium (as opposed to standard which is slower) ACPO police check - can't believe how much it costs to prove you're not a criminal!

I'm still hopeful that they wouldn't have passed me onto CIC if there wasn't a chance of getting a visa (just don't want to get dissapointed if I don't!)
yeah me too - £77 (or thereabouts) for a police check form which would evidently come back clean as i have been in canada for the last year, and therefore unable to carry out any illegal activity in england! and then the £90 iec fee, plus the £30 that lloyds charged me to put the money in to the iec barclays account in a way that would provide me with the piece of paper that iec needed to have emailed to them. so all in all i would be pretty grumpy if the visa was now not granted due to the quota being full! ok rant over i promise
Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

michty6 is on a distinguished road

Wait till you get past the IEC and start applying for permanent residence visas - then you'll see the IEC charges are pennies in comparison...
Old Jun 25th 2012, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

yeah me too - £77 (or thereabouts) for a police check form which would evidently come back clean as i have been in canada for the last year, and therefore unable to carry out any illegal activity in england! and then the £90 iec fee, plus the £30 that lloyds charged me to put the money in to the iec barclays account in a way that would provide me with the piece of paper that iec needed to have emailed to them. so all in all i would be pretty grumpy if the visa was now not granted due to the quota being full! ok rant over i promise
Oh wow that seems a lot more complicated than what I had to do... I just took a screenshot of the transaction and said I could provide a bank statement if required! But I guess it's better to be safe than sorry!

And yeah guess the fees aren't that much in comparison - it's just all these 'extras' that are annoying
Old Jun 25th 2012, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by michty6
Wait till you get past the IEC and start applying for permanent residence visas - then you'll see the IEC charges are pennies in comparison...
oh no the paying doesn't bother me - it's really a small price to pay for the amazing year i had and know i will have again. it would just be infuriating if it was all for nothing.
as far as applying for the pr goes, did you do it after 2 years iec?
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

I agree with michty6, PR is expensive as hell! You need $1000 just to apply, let alone $300 to prove you speak english, yet another police check, a $200 medical not covered by any type of insurance, statutory delcarations and legal copies at $60, etc etc...
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

roberto_the_besto is an unknown quantity at this point

Answered my own question:

On your arrival in Canada, you must have a statement from your bank account that must have been issued no more than one (1) week before your departure for Canada. It must clearly demonstrate you have sufficient funds in your account to support yourself financially for the first three months of your stay in Canada (C$2,500).
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

the lythes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by roberto_the_besto
Please don't be confused by annual multi-trip and backpacker/gap year. Normally annual multi-trip have a duration (max 90 days). Other insurance companies that sell backpacker insurance invalidate your insurance if you come back home.

I recommend ACE Travel Insurance.

If you look at something else and it is showing anything less than £100 then I'd say it's too good to be true.

Rob
I need some help please!! I have checked out ACE but my husband is going to be working as a carpenter and they dont cover manual labour. My question however is this, DO they require you to have medical insurance or travel insurance as these are different. Travel insurance will only generally cover you for one claim and if really ill they will expatriate you. Medical cover will cover you for as many emergencies as required.....
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by the lythes
I need some help please!! I have checked out ACE but my husband is going to be working as a carpenter and they dont cover manual labour. My question however is this, DO they require you to have medical insurance or travel insurance as these are different. Travel insurance will only generally cover you for one claim and if really ill they will expatriate you. Medical cover will cover you for as many emergencies as required.....
They only require medical coverage, coming from the UK to Canada that would have to be Travel Insurance, specifically backpackers insurance, because you have to be careful because many policies are invalidated if you leave the country even just temporarily.

Since I am already in Canada I took out a basic health plan, but I am already covered by Provincial, and My Employers cover.

After 3 months you will get Provincial cover if the province you are in offers that, but only if you are working.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scottyxx
They only require medical coverage, coming from the UK to Canada that would have to be Travel Insurance, specifically backpackers insurance, because you have to be careful because many policies are invalidated if you leave the country even just temporarily.

Since I am already in Canada I took out a basic health plan, but I am already covered by Provincial, and My Employers cover.

After 3 months you will get Provincial cover if the province you are in offers that, but only if you are working.
Thanks - I just didnt think that travel insurance was comprehensive enough?.... When you first went out did you take out the policy for a year and then cancel it after you started getting the provinicial entitlement? as immigration want to see that you are covered for a year dont they...
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Took out the policy for 13 months, didnt cancel as it covered baggage etc for all m rips home. Yeah , because the IEC permit does not guarentee work, and you only get OHIP if you work, hey require coverage for a year.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scottyxx
Took out the policy for 13 months, didnt cancel as it covered baggage etc for all m rips home. Yeah , because the IEC permit does not guarentee work, and you only get OHIP if you work, hey require coverage for a year.
Which company did you use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.