Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Jun 28th 2012, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: International Experience Canada

No. Its kinda complicated Roberto. You have to file a tax return every year, the tax return will calculate if you over paid in your income taxes, which are automatically deducted.

Electronic items and purchasing - no no tax back. Metro pass is a toronto/Ontatio only type thing if I remember correctly, and as for the energy you don't have to put in anything, just your rental costs.

You have to save all these up, along with a form from your employer and submit it by April 2013. If you are only planning on being in Canada for a year it kinda sucks since you have to have a cheque mailed to your address the first time, and it has to all be done by mail, and you get monthly payments.

It can be a bit daunting coming from the UK where I have never once filed a Tax return.

VAT is called HST here. And its added on top of the purchase price, ie something in the dollarstore does not cost a dollar, it costs a dollar 13.

Damn confusing Canucks!
Old Jun 28th 2012, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

iBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to all

Have not posted in a while as I have been busy in this wonderful country. My IEC runs out in May 2013 and I don't want to have to leave my girlfriend or job when that time comes around, what is the next option for me here so I can stay? (Apart from getting Married )
Old Jun 28th 2012, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

LakeLouise is an unknown quantity at this point

got my LOI today! arrived in my inbox at like 1am!
my timeline is:
NOR - May 23
Payment Request/sent - June 15
Payment Received/Sent to CIC - June 18
LOI - June 29

So happy! Flying Gatwick to Calgary July 17th i think.

Good luck to everyone still waiting. I can't believe it was so quick after all the horrendous experiences on here.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

ccrudden is an unknown quantity at this point

So finally got the LOI today after SIX months of waiting!

My timeline;

20/01/2012 Sent Application
23/02/2012- NOR
20/03/2012 - Payment Request
27/03/2012 Payment Sent
25/05/2012 - Payment sent again with proof
29/05/2012 - Sent to CIC
21/06/2012 - More information required
27/06/2012 - Email sent confirming they recieved requested information.
29/06/2012 - LOI

Good luck to everyone else who is waiting
Old Jun 28th 2012, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Loui-d is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LakeLouise
my timeline is:
NOR - May 23
LOI - June 29

Good luck to everyone still waiting. I can't believe it was so quick after all the horrendous experiences on here.
YAY congrats!
Old Jun 29th 2012, 12:18 am
Just Joined

rlw180 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone tell me definitively what is accepbtable proof of funds upon entry to Canada? My dilemma is that I will be holidaying in the USA for 11 days prior to entry to Canada and so I can't get a statement from my bank in the UK that is issued 'within the last week'.

Will they accept a print-out of your online banking statment?

Oh and, got my LOI at 1am 28/06/12. Received my NOR 15/05/12. Pretty pleased with that timeframe!
Old Jun 29th 2012, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

markstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iBoBBa
Have not posted in a while as I have been busy in this wonderful country. My IEC runs out in May 2013 and I don't want to have to leave my girlfriend or job when that time comes around, what is the next option for me here so I can stay? (Apart from getting Married )
Is this your second IEC participation? Just to clarify, you are able to participate twice in the scheme.

By far the easiest way if your GF is Canadian, is that she can sponsor you after you have lived together for one year. This would mean you are considered 'common law' partners. Are you currently living with her?

The other option is that your employer can sponsor you if they are willing to do so, however unfortunately it's not so straightforward. Your employers need to obtain what's called a 'Labour Market Opinion (LMO) proving that they have advertised for the job, didn't receive any suitable Canadian citizen applications, and that your skills mean you are their only option. If granted, you then apply for a temporary work permit (TWP) on the back of having what would be referred to as a 'positive LMO'.

Can anyone else think of any others routes?

Cheers.

Last edited by markstimson; Jun 29th 2012 at 12:52 am.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Dandaman1 is on a distinguished road

Hey all, I arrived in Toronto on the 22nd June after receiving my LOI on the 21st (close, eh?). Customs and immigration were easy; they never asked for proof of insurance or funds, and I glided through without any problems.

Good luck to everyone else who's still waiting!
Old Jun 29th 2012, 3:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markstimson
There are potentially various other options, depending on Ibobba's job and the province s/he is in.

I would suggest the best thing to do is for Ibobba to start a new thread with all of the relevant info in (location, job, whether he is living with his gf etc) and hopefully he'll get a good response on that.

Similarly, anybody asking about tax it would be better to post any queries in the main Canada forum, where our tax pros hang out and give free advice. They're unlikely to look at this thread, but would probably be able to help a lot.

Old Jun 29th 2012, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

markstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dandaman1
Hey all, I arrived in Toronto on the 22nd June after receiving my LOI on the 21st (close, eh?). Customs and immigration were easy; they never asked for proof of insurance or funds, and I glided through without any problems.

Good luck to everyone else who's still waiting!
Sweet! Nice one. If you're a football fan and you're about in Toronto on Sunday, I'll be watching the Euro final so give me a shout if you fancy it. The misses is away at her parents so luckily I can escape to football!
Old Jun 29th 2012, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Jennika is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LakeLouise
my timeline is:
NOR - May 23
LOI - June 29

Congrats! This literally must be the last batch of LOIs they are sending out surely... doesn't seem to be that many people on this thread still waiting!
Old Jun 29th 2012, 3:52 am
Just Joined

af1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ccrudden
So finally got the LOI today after SIX months of waiting!

My timeline;

20/01/2012 Sent Application
23/02/2012- NOR
20/03/2012 - Payment Request
27/03/2012 Payment Sent
25/05/2012 - Payment sent again with proof
29/05/2012 - Sent to CIC
21/06/2012 - More information required
27/06/2012 - Email sent confirming they recieved requested information.
29/06/2012 - LOI

Good luck to everyone else who is waiting
Aha, so they do send out an email confirming they've receive the additional forms. I sent mine off on the 20th and I'm yet to hear anything... Can I just ask how you sent of the info? was it recorded delivery or regular post? and to what address were you asked to post?

Congrats on the LOI,
Thanks.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 8:15 am
Just Joined

ccrudden is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

It was due to criminal record as I had 7 offences on it, mostly from one driving experience!

It asked me to provide the details via email and gave me 10 days to do it!

Hope this helps and you get sorted soon
Old Jun 29th 2012, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

iBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by markstimson
Is this your second IEC participation? Just to clarify, you are able to participate twice in the scheme.

By far the easiest way if your GF is Canadian, is that she can sponsor you after you have lived together for one year. This would mean you are considered 'common law' partners. Are you currently living with her?

The other option is that your employer can sponsor you if they are willing to do so, however unfortunately it's not so straightforward. Your employers need to obtain what's called a 'Labour Market Opinion (LMO) proving that they have advertised for the job, didn't receive any suitable Canadian citizen applications, and that your skills mean you are their only option. If granted, you then apply for a temporary work permit (TWP) on the back of having what would be referred to as a 'positive LMO'.

Cheers.
Ah, I didn't realise you could apply twice. As of this Sunday we will be living together and she is a Canadian resident. (Currently living in Langley, BC)
Old Jun 30th 2012, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Jennika is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on what type of work/how many hours we can work on this visa? I'm guessing no as it doesn't say anywhere (unless I've missed it) but just wanted to make sure...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.