International Experience Canada

Old Jan 2nd 2013, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

segaste is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by BritishExpatriate
So I was just wandering anyway, what are people planning to do accommodation-wise in Canada? I'm guessing most people will house-share?
Is anyone planning in staying in hostels for the complete duration of their stay? Or has anyone already done this- if so how was it?

Cheers
Yep, house share definitely. I looked on Craigslist a while back and $450 a month seems like the norm.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Hart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by segaste
Yep, house share definitely. I looked on Craigslist a while back and $450 a month seems like the norm.
In which area of Canada was this?
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 12:03 am
Just Joined

Just been looking through the Craigslist in the Vancouver area and I've noticed that at the very least 9/10 insist on only females wanted lol. That's no good for us blokes..

There are some shoddy posts, if you want to sell a room then why do half of them fail to add pictures? I'd also like to know who else lives there, something about them to gauge how well I'd likely get on with them, but alas none seem to include such information

It's going to have to be a finding accommodation once in Canada job isn't it?
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hart
Surely house sharing will be much cheaper?
I don't know because some hostels cost as little as £9 per night. I've also read about some hostels where you can work in the hostel for 15 hours per week and you get free keep. The advantage being that in a hostel you're not bound by a contract and meet more people but with the downside being that you're sharing a dorm so have less privacy.

I'm not actually planning on moving from Montreal but I think if the hostel I stay in for the initial 9 nights is good (I've never stayed in a hostel before) then I might just stay a few weeks longer in hostels... A couple of bad experiences from uni mean that I'd appreciate not risking being stuck with less than desirable housemates or being tied into a contract...
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 12:27 am
Just Joined

I don't know because some hostels cost as little as £9 per night. I've also read about some hostels where you can work in the hostel for 15 hours per week and you get free keep. The advantage being that in a hostel you're not bound by a contract and meet more people but with the downside being that you're sharing a dorm so have less privacy.

I'm not actually planning on moving from Montreal but I think if the hostel I stay in for the initial 9 nights is good (I've never stayed in a hostel before) then I might just stay a few weeks longer in hostels... A couple of bad experiences from uni mean that I'd appreciate not risking being stuck with less than desirable housemates or being tied into a contract...
If what you are saying about the prices is true then hostels suddenly become a very attractive option. I was expecting something in to $35-45 range.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hart
If what you are saying about the prices is true then hostels suddenly become a very attractive option. I was expecting something in to $35-45 range.
Well I didn't make it up! Type "Montreal" and "hostel" into Google & you'll see!
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:50 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

IMHO the IEC is not going to be a very big step to the CEC program. The IEC work permit is issued under 205(b) of the Regulations and according to the Canada Gazette's proposed regulations http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2012/2...rs274-eng.html the work will not be eligible for CEC. Unless CIC is going to consider IECs as an "international agreement" which they haven't done before.

Otherwise for eligibility for CEC an approved LMO and offer of permanent employment would have to be submitted.
Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa. From reading the instruction manual for CEC, it appears if you have skilled work for 1 year, no matter what the work permit type, other than On Campus or Off Campus, then your work is eligible for CEC.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa. From reading the instruction manual for CEC, it appears if you have skilled work for 1 year, no matter what the work permit type, other than On Campus or Off Campus, then your work is eligible for CEC.
Thanks for clarifying PMM. Can always rely on you to give us the definitive answer.

Old Jan 3rd 2013, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in hostels before, though some of them were lovely... Some of them, not so much. I would personally not even consider staying in a nice one for longer than a week if possible; I can only imagine the horror stories of one as cheap as £9! Bathroom facilities are always questionable, and there's security issues of things like mobile phones/MP3 players/etc. I wouldn't enjoy having to lock my phone up in a locker every night rather than keeping it beside me to use the alarm or check messages first thing in the morning (because you will have to in order to avoid it being pilfered!).

I'd love to hear your experiences with this. Maybe Canadian hostels are a lot better than European ones. I'd take uni halls with annoying (but familiar) people than the daily pot luck of hostels any day!
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 8:32 am
Just Joined

ro616 is an unknown quantity at this point

I spent a long time looking for accommodation on craigslist in Vancouver. I agree the quality of a lot of ads are pretty rubbish. One thing I did notice is that there are a lot of temporary sub-letting ads (you can filter for this) that allow you to take an apartment for a short time (from a week to a few months) whilst the occupants go travelling. This could be a good option if you don't want to commit to a year-long tenancy and it would be a lot easier once you're out there to find a flatshare that suits.

I've got a nice looking apartment for 3 months that I'm sharing with a friend which costs $1100 per month ($550 each) including bills - that seems about par for the course for vancouver.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Dandaman1 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I have a quick question:

I'm currently on the IEC programme and have a permit which expires in June. I am not currently in Canada, and won't be re-entering until May. Can I enter under my new 2013 permit (when/if I get it), or do I have to enter under the old one and flagpole when it expires? What happens here?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, does anyone have any clue as to when the 2013 applications start?

Last edited by Dandaman1; Jan 3rd 2013 at 1:04 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dandaman1
Hey guys, I have a quick question:

I'm currently on the IEC programme and have a permit which expires in June. I am not currently in Canada, and won't be re-entering until May. Can I enter under my new 2013 permit (when/if I get it), or do I have to enter under the old one and flagpole when it expires? What happens here?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, does anyone have any clue as to when the 2013 applications start?
You can enter under the new permit/LOI if you get it. You can of course enter under the old one but would need to flagpole to get the new one activated.
Keep watching the IEC website for activation dates
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ex.aspx?view=d
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

sydc is an unknown quantity at this point

I just found this which appears to confirm UK IEC visas will be extended to two years.

Mr Kenney announced last week that IEC visas granted to UK citizens will also last for two years from 2013. He said that he would change the requirements of the Canadian Experience Class scheme for granting permanent residency so that the Canadian Experience requirement will change from one year's Canadian skilled work experience rather than the current two years skilled work experience requirement. Mr Kenney told the English newspaper the Daily Telegraph last week that he hoped that these changes would combine to encourage UK students who visit Canada on a gap-year holiday to stay and make their lives in Canada.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sydc
I just found this which appears to confirm UK IEC visas will be extended to two years.
Nice thought, but that website is full of inaccurate advice (and it's not actually what Mr Kenney said), so I'd take it with a pinch of salt! Hopefully we'll find out soon for sure though.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sydc
An increase in duration to 2 years and a decrease in duration of work experience required for residency down to 1 year.

I'm sorry, that is too good to be true

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.