International Experience Canada

Old Jan 8th 2013, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

stuartancell17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So you did have the $2,500 required then? And even if you had a job offer letter to show them, that would have made no difference whatsoever, as the funds are still required.
Yes I did have the money at the time I crossed the boarder. Just gave it back after. Same as if i just decided to spend it all as soon as I arrived they can't know that, they just want to know you have it when you enter. But I don't know anyone who has had to show proof. I could be wrong though so best to have it just in case. Just an idea if you have a willing parent of friend though.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

The Canadians are very clever when it come to determining their immigration rules. If they thought people borrowing money to meet the financial requirement was going to be a problem, chances are they would adjust the rule to make it more strict by requiring 3 months of bank statements. Though chances are they know that if you're able to borrow the money to meet the financial requirement then you'll be able to borrow money again if you get stuck in Canada...
Old Jan 8th 2013, 9:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishExpatriate
The Canadians are very clever when it come to determining their immigration rules. If they thought people borrowing money to meet the financial requirement was going to be a problem, chances are they would adjust the rule to make it more strict by requiring 3 months of bank statements. Though chances are they know that if you're able to borrow the money to meet the financial requirement then you'll be able to borrow money again if you get stuck in Canada...
Or they'd just clarify it by stating very clearly in their regs that the money cannot be borrowed. Oh, wait............

I guess with IEC it's less of an issue as it's rarely used by those with dependents, and travel insurance is required to cover repatriation costs.

Still bloody stupid for anybody to consider going with less than the proof of funds amount imo though, all it takes is a month out of work and that money's gone. $2,500 doesn't go far in Canada.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Or they'd just clarify it by stating very clearly in their regs that the money cannot be borrowed. Oh, wait............

I guess with IEC it's less of an issue as it's rarely used by those with dependents, and travel insurance is required to cover repatriation costs.

Still bloody stupid for anybody to consider going with less than the proof of funds amount imo though, all it takes is a month out of work and that money's gone. $2,500 doesn't go far in Canada.
Yes I agree it would be silly to go without the money. It is a requirement and they have the right to ask you for proof. But if you can borrow some to get past the immigration and then once you have a job pay it back. It helps people who don't have much money.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 9:55 pm
A taffy in Ontario

snuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant future

Apologies If this has been answered in the past but;
Can Anyone recommend a good Insurance company which is eligible for the IEC ..?
Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Where?
The people who are willing to breach regulations in order to meet the financial requirement will often not think twice about entering without any travel insurance, which according to peoples' experiences it appears isn't always checked at the POE.

I agree!

Originally Posted by stuartancell17
Yes I agree it would be silly to go without the money. It is a requirement and they have the right to ask you for proof. But if you can borrow some to get past the immigration and then once you have a job pay it back. It helps people who don't have much money.
Personally doing that would make me feel a bit uneasy and I'd do everything I could including delaying travelling in order to save up the money first.

Originally Posted by snuggs
Apologies If this has been answered in the past but;
Can Anyone recommend a good Insurance company which is eligible for the IEC ..?
I have no personal experience....... But people on this thread have cited ACE Travel Insurance as being very cheap.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritishExpatriate

Personally doing that would make me feel a bit uneasy and I'd do everything I could including delaying travelling in order to save up the money first.
There was no need for me to be uneasy about it. I had a job and house and everything as soon as I was there. I did meet all of the requirements. And I needed to get to Canada as soon as I could. for me there was no way to wait and earn enough money. Thats just me, but it could also help others and is not breaking any regulations.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stuartancell17
There was no need for me to be uneasy about it. I had a job and house and everything as soon as I was there. I did meet all of the requirements. And I needed to get to Canada as soon as I could. for me there was no way to wait and earn enough money. Thats just me, but it could also help others and is not breaking any regulations.
I think you acted with common sense and it paid off!
Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

jemmah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
I have family in Vancouver and my boyfriend are really interested in going out there to see them and to work for 6 months / a year. I'm concerned about the IEC with regards to the point about living in the UK for the last 3 years. A year ago my boyfriend worked for an English Austrian theatre company, in Austria for 6 months. Would he therefore not be eligible? If he is eligible, do people recommend getting help from BUNAC/other organisation etc with filling in the forms etc? Any advice you can give would be great. Jem
Old Jan 8th 2013, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jemmah
Hi there,
I have family in Vancouver and my boyfriend are really interested in going out there to see them and to work for 6 months / a year. I'm concerned about the IEC with regards to the point about living in the UK for the last 3 years. A year ago my boyfriend worked for an English Austrian theatre company, in Austria for 6 months. Would he therefore not be eligible? If he is eligible, do people recommend getting help from BUNAC/other organisation etc with filling in the forms etc? Any advice you can give would be great. Jem
The IEC's FAQ page states:

"Residency Requirements

What does “3 years habitual residency requirement” mean?

This means that that a candidate’s habitual residence (i.e. physically residing/living) must be in the UK for a period of at least three years full-time directly prior to applying to the IEC. An exception can be made if the candidate has temporarily resided in a foreign country for studies or short-term work, but the time spent outside the UK must not exceed 18 months cumulative over the three previous years."

Therefore the 6 months your boyfriend spent abroad will not be a problem though he will need a police certificate from that country.

With regard to the forms, I personally think that if you check them over thoroughly three times before sending them to the High Commission then that ought to work out fine. I guess it depends how much you value Bunac's other services that they provide...
Good luck!
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

blacknoodle is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm wondering if anyone can help. I participated in the old iec (oct 10 -oct 11) and this should have been it. The rules then changed to two 1 year periods. I then applied under the new/current iec so did the first year of the new iec. Am I ok to now apply (when 2013 opens) for the 2nd 1 year period? I know the new iec hasn't been implemented retroactively do I think I should be ok as I effectively started again with the clean slate so can participate twice in the new program. This does however that I've been living in Canada 2 years and I guess not habitually in the mean uk. Can anyone help? Thanks a lot
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

pitt is an unknown quantity at this point

Can my overdraft on my bank account act as the money that i have in my account?
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pitt
Withdraw the overdraft, put it into another account.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pitt
IMHO No the funds need to be in the account as per this from the IEC website.
On your arrival in Canada, you must have a statement from your bank account that must have been issued no more than one (1) week before your departure for Canada. It must clearly demonstrate you have sufficient funds in your account to support yourself financially for the first three months of your stay in Canada (C$2,500).
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...w=d#ProofFunds

Read the FAQ portion and then you decide if you think an overdraft is acceptable.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

pitt is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah but how they going to know thats my overdraft? they will just assume thats how much i have in my account.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.