International Experience Canada

Old Jul 6th 2012, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: International Experience Canada

You cannot use the Debit card online like a Visa Debit in the uk - it sucks you cannot rent a car etc.

I have never heard about the holding issue with the bank, but I had a SIN number when I applied, and I think that makes things easier because then you "exist" in canada.

TD Didnt do anything like this with me, I got my account right away, with no strings, used a friends address but my own SIN.

Getting a credit card may be difficult for you since you had trouble with the bank account, if you want to rent a car or buy things online - you are gonna need a credit card.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

sjhewitt is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been following people's timelines on this thread, so I thought I'd share mine:

Sent: 8th May
NOR: 16th May
Payment Request: 14th June
Passed to CIC: 16th June
LOI: 1am, 7th July

Can't wait to get to Vancouver next month!!!

On a side note, I've got a drink driving conviction from ~8 years ago that shows up on my police check, and was worried about not being eligible for a visa. I wrote a cover letter with the details of the incident, the Canadian laws it falls under (253 and 255 of the Canadian Criminal Code) and noted that I'm considered rehabilitated in the uk under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Luckily it seems to have worked as they've granted my visa!!
Old Jul 7th 2012, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sjhewitt
I've been following people's timelines on this thread, so I thought I'd share mine:

Sent: 8th May
NOR: 16th May
Payment Request: 14th June
Passed to CIC: 16th June
LOI: 1am, 7th July

Can't wait to get to Vancouver next month!!!

On a side note, I've got a drink driving conviction from ~8 years ago that shows up on my police check, and was worried about not being eligible for a visa. I wrote a cover letter with the details of the incident, the Canadian laws it falls under (253 and 255 of the Canadian Criminal Code) and noted that I'm considered rehabilitated in the uk under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Luckily it seems to have worked as they've granted my visa!!
Do you have a letter from CIC stating that?
Not all offences under the UK ROA 1974 mean you are rehabilitated after the 5 years passage of time. If convicted of the offence and under the ROA my understanding is that if the ROA was for rehabilitation in the UK then it doesnt necessarily carry over to Canada unless the conviction was removed and not just given for rehabilitation purposes in the UK.
If CIC have given you a letter saying so then you will be ok.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

sjhewitt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Not all offences under the UK ROA 1974 mean you are rehabilitated after the 5 years passage of time. If convicted of the offence and under the ROA my understanding is that if the ROA was for rehabilitation in the UK then it doesnt necessarily carry over to Canada unless the conviction was removed and not just given for rehabilitation purposes in the UK.
The first line of the letter states: "Your application to study or work in Canada has been approved."
They don't specifically mention that the offence is deemed rehabilitated, but it seems implicit that I'm eligible for the visa if it has been approved... I can't imagine they'd issue work permits only to then deny entry later on.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sjhewitt
The first line of the letter states: "Your application to study or work in Canada has been approved."
They don't specifically mention that the offence is deemed rehabilitated, but it seems implicit that I'm eligible for the visa if it has been approved... I can't imagine they'd issue work permits only to then deny entry later on.
Judging just by what is written of your situation it is your responsibility to produce documentation if required regarding proof of rehabilitation unless the rehabilitation is by passage of time.
There has been lots of discussion on the ROA and how it pertains to Canada.
I wonder if PMM is reading this and how he interprets this?

A36(2)(b): An applicant convicted outside Canada (of an offence that if committed in Canada would constitute an offence under an Act of Parliament punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of less than 10 years) may be deemed rehabilitated if 10 years have elapsed since the completion of the sentence imposed and they have not been convicted of a subsequent offence other than an offence designated as a contravention under the Contraventions Act or an offence under the Young Offenders Act
[R18(2)(a)(i)].
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I disagree with this. The OP has been honest on the application, ticked "yes" to criminal convictions and submitted a police check to the High Commission with their relevant conviction on it.

The High Commission has said yes to the visa therefore the OP is clear to go to Canada, it is as simple as that.

Furthermore, I have proof that this is the case. When I e-mailed the High Commission regarding criminal inadmissibility and a conviction I had, and asking them to confirm my finding that I was not criminally inadmissible, they e-mailed back saying,

"Dear Mr. *******,

If you wish to apply for permanent residence to Canada, the issue of criminality will always be considered in the context of your application. On the basis of the information that you have provided below, it does not appear that you would be inadmissible to Canada, however this will ultimately be decided by an Immigration Officer.

Best regards,

Immigration and Medical Services Division | Direction de l'immigration et des services médicaux

Canadian High Commission | Haut-commissariat du Canada"

The OP has been cleared by an immigration officer at the High Commission and therefore if he/she is inadmissible, it's because the High Commission made a mistake (extremely unlikely if you ask me) in which case it is not the fault of the OP.

At the end of the day, if the OP believed they had been mistakenly denied a visa on the basis of a criminal conviction then yes, I'd say lets spend brain power trying to fix it, but this situation is the opposite, the OP has been granted a visa and life is too short to spend time investigating something that even the High Commission itself has decided is not an issue.

OP- Have fun in Canada!

(Sorry I know it's not the real OP of this thread I'm referring to, obviously it is sjhewitt I'm referring to!..)

Last edited by BritishExpatriate; Jul 9th 2012 at 3:44 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Canada's wonderland is looking for season employees fr any IEC participants wanting a fun summer job!

http://www.canadaswonderland.com/job...nal-employment

Its located in Vaughn outside toronto.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

JoeJK is an unknown quantity at this point

What kind of accomidation do most people go for when they do this? I'd prefer to just rent a one bedroom place ideally, rather than live in a hostel, so is that very doable or does it tend to be too expensive?
Old Jul 9th 2012, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Depends totally on where you are JoeJK, I would assume most people would share with 1 or 2 roommates, as signing a least on a place when you have no money, might not be the best idea. In Guelph a room in a shared house is $400 + utils, or a 1 bedroom apartment is about $800. In toronto you can basically efficiently double it, for a room you are looking at anywhere from $600 - $900 and a 1 bedroom apartment would be probably $1200 - $2000 + utilities, completely depending on the area.

Look up Kijiji for the location you are looking for, for getting an idea.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 10:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishExpatriate
The OP has been cleared by an immigration officer at the High Commission and therefore if he/she is inadmissible, it's because the High Commission made a mistake (extremely unlikely if you ask me) in which case it is not the fault of the OP.
Not sure they've been cleared by 'an immigration officer', usually that would be somebody like Former Lancastrian, i.e. at POE. That's what is normally meant by an immigration officer, rather than somebody that works at CHC.

Even with a visa, somebody can still be refused entry to Canada by an immigration officer (i.e. the person at the border/airport when you arrive). Think of a visa as something that gives you the right to knock on the door of Canada, but it's up to the immigration officer to decide whether to let you in or not.

No idea on the drink driving conviction/IEC visa though!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 9th 2012 at 10:59 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

mrtomsterman is an unknown quantity at this point

Got my LOI today!! Here is my timeline:

NOR: 15th May
Payment Request: 12th June
Passed to CIC: 15th June
Request for more docs: 28 June (sent same day)
LOI:9th July 2012

I was soo worried that I didn't get my application sent in time.

Hope anyone who is waiting gets theirs soon!
Old Jul 10th 2012, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

cptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mrtomsterman
Got my LOI today!! Here is my timeline:

NOR: 15th May
Payment Request: 12th June
Passed to CIC: 15th June
Request for more docs: 28 June (sent same day)
LOI:9th July 2012

I was soo worried that I didn't get my application sent in time.

Hope anyone who is waiting gets theirs soon!
Congrats man!

Where and when are you heading off/to?
Old Jul 10th 2012, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

mrtomsterman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cptkid89
Congrats man!

Where and when are you heading off/to?
I am already in Surrey, BC and will be staying here for the next year
Old Jul 10th 2012, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Ashleigh.james87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, anyone going to Victoria?
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

UK_Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys!

Arrived in Toronto yesterday!! Loving this weather! I had no problem with immigration, the girl was actually very nice and helpful - only thing is they wouldn't let me in as a visitor then flagpole at a later date but at least I didn't get refused eh!

If anyone is in the Niagara Falls area let me know

Congrats to all who have recently received LOI's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.