International Experience Canada

Old Jul 19th 2012, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

roberto_the_besto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by Loui-d
I wanted to give TO a go for a few months, what are you finding hard?
Hey, I don't really like Toronto because:
- The people are not very friendly
- I've nearly been ran over so many times because they can turn on a red light
- Finding an apartment is a nightmare
- Apartment quality is not very good and rather disappointing
- They all seem to want a one year contract for an apartment but it's hard to decide if you like a place within that time.
- Trying to find a job is a nightmare as you have to take a course if you want to work in a restaurant etc, it's called "Smart Serve"
- Employers even for low skilled jobs are really picky
- IT IS SO EXPENSIVE
- The public transport is shockingly bad and really EXPENSIVE

Overall, I am hoping that Montreal offers me something more. I'm just not happy here and I am moving on Sunday.....yay!!!
Old Jul 19th 2012, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

+1 to everything Roberto said.

Although the turning right on a red is not a TO only problem. Unless you move to a student town (not a big city) housing will be an issue, as a 1 year lease is standard here.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

akwinf is an unknown quantity at this point

Everyone can turn on red lights everywhere, that isn't just a Toronto thing. Smart Serve is relatively easy to get, an online video based course that is almost impossible to fail.

In your situation I'd probably go for Montreal too - the only thing putting me off is the French but if you speak it fluently then go for it! A piece of advice from my French speaking friends - familiarise yourself with the differences between "French" French and Canadian French, there are some differences which can get a bit confusing (I tried using my A level skills while visiting and got slightly muddled)
Old Jul 19th 2012, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

.c.s.o. is an unknown quantity at this point

@akwinf: So where's good to go in Kitchener? Are there any good swimming holes that you know of, I'm getting tired of driving all the way to Guelph lake.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by roberto_the_besto
Hey, I don't really like Toronto because:
- The people are not very friendly
- I've nearly been ran over so many times because they can turn on a red light
- Finding an apartment is a nightmare
- Apartment quality is not very good and rather disappointing
- They all seem to want a one year contract for an apartment but it's hard to decide if you like a place within that time.
- Trying to find a job is a nightmare as you have to take a course if you want to work in a restaurant etc, it's called "Smart Serve"
- Employers even for low skilled jobs are really picky
- IT IS SO EXPENSIVE
- The public transport is shockingly bad and really EXPENSIVE

Overall, I am hoping that Montreal offers me something more. I'm just not happy here and I am moving on Sunday.....yay!!!
Most of these things are Canada wide unless you move to the middle of nowhere. Every province has their equivalent of smart serve, same with turning on a red light and the TTC is not that bad at all. I live kinda west in a fairly nice apartment for less than $500 a month. The TTC allows me to get home at any time of the day or night...something that would not be possible back at home.

Toronto people are bloody lovely! They have made me feel so at home here that it actually breaks my heart. Maybe I just got lucky but I'll have been here a year in two weeks time and I consider Toronto my home more than Scotland.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by .c.s.o.
@akwinf: So where's good to go in Kitchener? Are there any good swimming holes that you know of, I'm getting tired of driving all the way to Guelph lake.
I can't help you on the swimming front sadly, I was there over the winter and so all my swimming was done in the UW campus pool.

Most of my knowledge is for Waterloo, as I was living first on the campus there then close to Conestoga Mall.

Maxwell's Music House (at King/University) is great for live music, lots local bands, competitions and open mic nights. Right next to it is Phil's, a dive bar with great music and $2.25 drinks. Only go if you are ok with getting sweaty, encountering a lot of the local university students and never, ever look up at the ceiling.

Angie's Kitchen is a Waterloo institution, there is one in uptown just behind "The Shops". Amazing breakfasts, I'm a regular fixture there on Sunday mornings for eggs benedict or their potato pancakes. Also good for breakfast is Mel's Diner (the new location is Westmount/Ottawa in Kitchener, their original location in Waterloo burnt down, that was an extremely sad day) and Benny's (Weber N/University). Sushi Stars, Sushi 99 or Ye's for all-you-can-eat sushi, Bauer Kitchen for expensive but delicious food, Brick Brewery for great beer, Symposium for cake and martinis, My Thai for.... Thai, Sonny's Drive In for hotdogs/burgers.

Do as much shopping as you can at St Jacobs Market. Amazing deals on fresh local produce, there is a British style bakery, a great cheese stand and go at the end of the day to get cheap meat from the butchers. There is also British Pride Bakery in Cambridge - they sell pasties, normal tasting bread and Bakewell tarts, as well as a range of groceries and chocolate. Another British shop is next to the Duke of Wellington in uptown Waterloo.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by akwinf
I can't help you on the swimming front sadly, I was there over the winter and so all my swimming was done in the UW campus pool.

Most of my knowledge is for Waterloo, as I was living first on the campus there then close to Conestoga Mall.

Maxwell's Music House (at King/University) is great for live music, lots local bands, competitions and open mic nights. Right next to it is Phil's, a dive bar with great music and $2.25 drinks. Only go if you are ok with getting sweaty, encountering a lot of the local university students and never, ever look up at the ceiling.

Angie's Kitchen is a Waterloo institution, there is one in uptown just behind "The Shops". Amazing breakfasts, I'm a regular fixture there on Sunday mornings for eggs benedict or their potato pancakes. Also good for breakfast is Mel's Diner (the new location is Westmount/Ottawa in Kitchener, their original location in Waterloo burnt down, that was an extremely sad day) and Benny's (Weber N/University). Sushi Stars, Sushi 99 or Ye's for all-you-can-eat sushi, Bauer Kitchen for expensive but delicious food, Brick Brewery for great beer, Symposium for cake and martinis, My Thai for.... Thai, Sonny's Drive In for hotdogs/burgers.

Do as much shopping as you can at St Jacobs Market. Amazing deals on fresh local produce, there is a British style bakery, a great cheese stand and go at the end of the day to get cheap meat from the butchers. There is also British Pride Bakery in Cambridge - they sell pasties, normal tasting bread and Bakewell tarts, as well as a range of groceries and chocolate. Another British shop is next to the Duke of Wellington in uptown Waterloo.
That's some great info. I've been to a couple of those restaurants. Most recently Ye's which was pretty good apart from the service.

I've also been to all the English Shops/Bakeries. There is a third one right by RIM that's more of a Deli/Butcher but they have a few English groceries too.

I havent been to any bars here yet. I've been going out in Guelph because I know it better and have friends there but it's a bit of a mission and I either have to stay over or not drink. So I'll definitely be checking some of those places out.

Thanks for the tips!
Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by .c.s.o.
That's some great info. I've been to a couple of those restaurants. Most recently Ye's which was pretty good apart from the service.

I've also been to all the English Shops/Bakeries. There is a third one right by RIM that's more of a Deli/Butcher but they have a few English groceries too.

I havent been to any bars here yet. I've been going out in Guelph because I know it better and have friends there but it's a bit of a mission and I either have to stay over or not drink. So I'll definitely be checking some of those places out.

Thanks for the tips!
None of the sushi places have decent service, but the price is worth it. There is probably a load of great places I've missed out, its been 2 years since I left!

As I said, I'm in Waterloo as much as I can so if you want to meet for a beer and wings drop me a PM.

Got my medical appointment next Friday, only $178 which I'm very pleased about. Has anyone been through one and could let me know what to expect? I'm guessing its relatively pain-free but with a job hinging on it I'm getting a little nervous.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

As I said, I'm in Waterloo as much as I can so if you want to meet for a beer and wings drop me a PM.
Sounds like a plan, I might just do that.

Got my medical appointment next Friday, only $178 which I'm very pleased about. Has anyone been through one and could let me know what to expect? I'm guessing its relatively pain-free but with a job hinging on it I'm getting a little nervous.
I had my PR medical on Tuesday and it was pretty entertaining. Dr Garrett at ImeMed is a pretty nice guy. My medical took about an hour, he went through the forms with me, made me 'sign his guestbook' and then did a basic medical exam (listened to my heart and lungs, took blood pressure, eye test, hearing test, shined a light in my eyes and ears). The weirdest part was the hearing test, he stood at the end of the corridor with a sheet of paper over his mouth and then made me repeat some squirrel sounds that he made. Oh, and he made me pee in a cup.

After that he gave me some forms to take to the lab upstarts so they can take blood and told me the people at the x-ray lab already had my paperwork.

I signed in for the blood test and there was a 20 minute wait so I went and got my chest X-ray which took about 4 minutes and then went back up for the blood test.

I was probably in and out in about 90mins in total. Not sure if your medical will be the same but it's the same price.

I was worried but once I got there it was all pretty relaxing. His clinic reminded me of an acupuncture clinic.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

I'm off to ImeMed too, closest clinic to me and an excuse to get down to K-W! Think I'm booked in with the female doctor though, hopefully it'll be as interesting as yours - I suppose you have to get some humour out of it if all you're doing day in and day out is medical exams. I don't have anything to worry about (I think!) but its still getting me nervous.

Finally getting my health card then too, as my local Service Canada is too small to get it sorted. I'm assuming it'll expire with the end of my current work permit and I'll have to get another in November?
Old Jul 19th 2012, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

You can't beat their price. The 8 bucks for blood work and 40 for an X-ray is a bargain too. I dread to think what you'd get charged in the UK if you were to privately for all that.

As for the health card, I have no idea. I don't have one and don't know how they work, @scottyxx might though.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Coledeschanel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loui-d
You need 2 years work to apply for PR. That's why i want to enter as a visitor so it gives me time to find work then activate my visa once i get a job. I'm just hoping once i arrive my puppy dog eyes and begging will get me a visitor pass!
Apparantly they may change it to only 1 year from January. What date are you going? Are you going to Vancouver too?
Old Jul 20th 2012, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

roberto_the_besto is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I've been reading some things about Montreal. Do I need a separate visa there as the government is different isn't it? I read that somewhere but it might be BS.

I don't think many people on here are there at the moment.

Robert
Old Jul 20th 2012, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

ggreenwo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, has anyone had this email back from the IEC. I emailed them to find out where my application was at as I was sent to CIC on the 14th of June and I just got this back from them:
Good afternoon,

Please be advised that the information you require concerning your application to the International Experience Canada initiative (IEC) cannot be provided by the IEC team, as it concerns the portion of the assessment conducted by the Visa Section at the High Commission of Canada to the UK. We recommend that you refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website at the address below for more information and to locate a section where you can submit a formal inquiry to the Visa Section directly.

https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/​cicema...mission=london

I have submitted a for to the Case Specific Enquiry but just wondering if anyone has had this issue???? I'm really starting to think that I didnt get through and wont be able to stay here next year???
Old Jul 20th 2012, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Any people on IEC looking for a job in IT? There is one going at my office for a recent grad if anyone is interested!

PM me and I can help you!

Last edited by scottyxx; Jul 20th 2012 at 7:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.