Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Jul 17th 2012, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Its not so much the 1 year, but rather the hourly requirement that's a pain in the ass. Most places where I live anyway, count a 35 hour week. But this is not enough for immigration.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

roberto_the_besto is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey is anybody living in Montréal? If so, could you give me some advice on how you are finding it etc?

I speak fluent French and feel a bit wasted here.

I'm thinking of ditching Toronto and moving to Montréal.

Robert
Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

cptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nice

Originally Posted by roberto_the_besto
Hey is anybody living in Montréal? If so, could you give me some advice on how you are finding it etc?

I speak fluent French and feel a bit wasted here.

I'm thinking of ditching Toronto and moving to Montréal.

Robert
Haven't you just got there?

Could give it a bit longer?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

roberto_the_besto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cptkid89
Haven't you just got there?

Could give it a bit longer?
Yeah I have lol. I just don't like it, it's not for me. I think I'd be happier in Montreal.

You know when you have that feeling that you don't like somewhere and you don't think you'd be happy there? Well, that is unfortunately the feeling that I have in Toronto :/
Old Jul 18th 2012, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Yeah I have lol. I just don't like it, it's not for me. I think I'd be happier in Montreal.

You know when you have that feeling that you don't like somewhere and you don't think you'd be happy there? Well, that is unfortunately the feeling that I have in Toronto :/
I think if I had moved to Toronto I would have felt the same way!
Old Jul 18th 2012, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Loui-d is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UK_Claire
They just said they are not supposed to do it anymore! I thought I'd do the decent thing and be honest, cos I didn't have a return flight, and then got sent through to collect my visa. The girl then said I shouldn't have mentioned the IEC if i didn't want to activate it yet but I figured honesty was the best policy!! Give it a try though, you never know.
I think you took the right approach. If you were not honest about the IEC they would have seen it on the system and questioned you on why you didnt mention it- causing more hassle than needed.

Thanks anyway, i will give it a go and hope they let me through as a visitor
Old Jul 18th 2012, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Coledeschanel
Thats my plan too. Getting to Vancouver on 7th Aug and have bben told to get exactly 12 months work experience in order to apply for PR status at a later date so I was going to get off the plane and say im coming as a tourist and then flagpole later for my visa. What about if I get a flight or train to Seattle/LA or Vegas? Will they let me in as a tourist then?
You need 2 years work to apply for PR. That's why i want to enter as a visitor so it gives me time to find work then activate my visa once i get a job. I'm just hoping once i arrive my puppy dog eyes and begging will get me a visitor pass!
Old Jul 18th 2012, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

I wanted to give TO a go for a few months, what are you finding hard?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

cptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nice

I also plan on going to TO, what is it that makes you not like the place?
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Its difficult to find a low skilled job, its very very busy, the public transportation system is very very bad unless you are used to it.

Whenever I go to Toronto, unless I am walking to the eaton center etc, I find myself overwhelmed and upset. Toronto drivers are by far the worst, and most agressive drivers I have seen!

It is also majorly competitive to find a place to live, and without a SIN number or Job or co-signer it will be near impossible to find a place.

Also, do not stay in Scarborough.

Guelph on the other hand is a lot easier to handle!
Old Jul 19th 2012, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

.c.s.o. is an unknown quantity at this point

I found Guelph to be too small for me. I still had a great time there but it did feel like a small town.

Toronto is the largest city in Canada so it will be pretty manic but if you're used to London or other big cities then you shouldn't have too much of a problem. I personally love it and try to go as often as possible.

GTA drivers are pretty bad but then again so are most Canadians. The worst by far however are drivers in Montreal.

I'm really enjoying K-W so far, it's much bigger than Guelph and has everything you could need. I haven't been here long enough to give it a proper review though.

It all depends on what you are used to and the kind of cities you like to live in. It'll always be hard adjusting to life in a metropolis/small town if your coming from the other end of the scale.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

I am a bit of a country bumbkin I suppose!

I just think moving to a new country, all alone, the big city can be very lonely..and frustrating. I think K/W is a better choice, big, busy, but still small and friendly.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Well I LOVE cities, New York is my favorite city in the world, I live in Manchester, and frequent London often. Thats why I deceided to go for TO but..theres still about 12 months before i go (hopefully) so I guess I may change my mind during that time.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 3:16 am
Just Joined

akwinf is an unknown quantity at this point

I adore K-W, spent some of the best times of my life there - unsure whether it was because of the city or the people I met there though. I still spend as many weekends as I can there, as there is a bus which goes from my 7000 population town (now THAT is the country bumpkin life - last weekend I worked at a party for 600 farmers, in a huge barn surrounded by corn fields!) direct to Charles St Terminal. .c.s.o. if you want any tips on where to go and what to do just ask away

I'm very excited about my move to Toronto in November, but that is mainly because I already have a whole host of friends who live there (the post-graduation exodus from Waterloo has begun) - it'd be a lot more nerve wracking if I didn't know the city already. I didn't appreciate it the first few times I went, but then I got to know people who really knew the city and their tours and advice were invaluable.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 3:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loui-d
You need 2 years work to apply for PR.
No, you don't. There is the CEC program which requires 2 years of full-time work experience, but there are also other routes to PR - look in to PNP or switching to a normal TWP and then applying as FSW, both of those can usually be done immediately.

P.S. I love New York, but hate Toronto too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.