Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

empirestate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Hoping not much time left, had a gander around and saw some of the programs are now open! like Chile's, which opened on 7th and has 725 places for 18-35 year olds! know some of our brits here were hoping for an age increase, so its possible! Taiwan's program opened yesterday 9th Jan! so it literally can be anywhen i guess! pray ours is soon!
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jason4501
Hi guys,

Any news on the IEC Visas for 2013? Does it look like they are getting released this month? I'm currently getting my police checks done but have just found out my passport is running out this July. Is it worth renewing it now and risk missing out on the allocation or waiting until after the IEC hopefully gets accepted?

Cheers
Jason
Originally Posted by dominiqueincanada
Jason,

Your passport needs to be valid for the *duration* of your IEC visa, so your application won't be accepted.

Dominique
Your passport needs to be valid for your entire stay when you arrive at the port of entry in Canada.

However, to apply for the IEC your passport simply needs to be valid at the time you submit your application. If your passport is soon to run out, you can first submit your IEC application and then renew your passport but only after you have received your LOI. You'll then need to contact them to let them know your passport details have changed. When you apply for the IEC don't mention that you're renewing your passport as this is not allowed. Wait until you've received the LOI, then apply for the new passport.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritishExpatriate
Your passport needs to be valid for your entire stay when you arrive at the port of entry in Canada.

However, to apply for the IEC your passport simply needs to be valid at the time you submit your application. If your passport is soon to run out, you can first submit your IEC application and then renew your passport but only after you have received your LOI. You'll then need to contact them to let them know your passport details have changed. When you apply for the IEC don't mention that you're renewing your passport as this is not allowed. Wait until you've received the LOI, then apply for the new passport.
Thanks for the response BritishExpatriate. Are you sure this is allowed as I don't want to submit my application only to have it rejected and have to apply for a new passport (in which case I would fail to get a LOI).
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominiqueincanada
Thanks for the response BritishExpatriate. Are you sure this is allowed as I don't want to submit my application only to have it rejected and have to apply for a new passport (in which case I would fail to get a LOI).
I'm pretty sure I've read on this forum that if you lose or change your passport after receiving your LOI then you just need to contact them with your UCI number (the number on the LOI) to update them with the details of your new passport.

Whereas when you apply for the LOI, you only need to have a valid passport. IMO they're not concerned about the duration of your passport when you apply for the LOI- They have made it clear your work permit will be limited to your passport validity when you enter Canada and so at the High Commission they know that is not their problem.

For example, if someone applies for the IEC and only has 4 months left on the passport, as long as the passport is valid, at the High Commission in London they will issue the LOI as the passport is valid. They know once in Canada your work permit will be valid for only 4 months but that's not their problem. Their concern is verifying the passport is valid at the time of your application. Then once you receive the LOI you just update your new passport details.

However, be aware you're not allowed to renew your passport on while your IEC application is in progress. The IEC website says:
"Passports

I am currently renewing my passport. Can I submit my application with a photocopy of my previous passport and/or a letter stating that my new passport is being renewed?

No. You must submit a photocopy of the appropriate pages of your new passport, otherwise your application will be considered incomplete and your application will be returned to you by mail."
<That's why it's best to wait until you've received the LOI and then apply for a new passport, contact them and update the details.

When is your passport expiring?

I think if it is valid for the time it's likely to take for your IEC application to be processed, i.e. 3 months or so from now, then you should be good to apply using it.

You can read these threads also:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749511

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/can...-question.html

If you were in London I'd say book an appointment at the passport office in Victoria and pay the extra money, I did that 2 years ago, the appointment I had to wait 1 week for and then when I got to the passport office for the appointment they interviewed me, then had a brand new passport produced for me in 4 hours!

...In all honesty I don't know for sure but if I was in your position then I would apply straight away with my passport. Then once I had the LOI, I'd tell them I have a new passport and give them the details. I'd then bring my old passport and my new passport to the port of entry and at that stage I seriously doubt there'd be any problem or that they would cap the duration of the permit as the new passport would have 10 years on it...

Last edited by BritishExpatriate; Jan 10th 2013 at 12:00 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

I'm pretty sure I've read on this forum that if you lose or change your passport after receiving your LOI then you just need to contact them with your UCI number (the number on the LOI) to update them with the details of your new passport.

Whereas when you apply for the LOI, you only need to have a valid passport. IMO they're not concerned about the duration of your passport when you apply for the LOI- They have made it clear your work permit will be limited to your passport validity when you enter Canada and so at the High Commission they know that is not their problem.

For example, if someone applies for the IEC and only has 4 months left on the passport, as long as the passport is valid, at the High Commission in London they will issue the LOI as the passport is valid. They know once in Canada your work permit will be valid for only 4 months but that's not their problem. Their concern is verifying the passport is valid at the time of your application. Then once you receive the LOI you just update your new passport details.

However, be aware you're not allowed to renew your passport on while your IEC application is in progress. The IEC website says:
"Passports

I am currently renewing my passport. Can I submit my application with a photocopy of my previous passport and/or a letter stating that my new passport is being renewed?

No. You must submit a photocopy of the appropriate pages of your new passport, otherwise your application will be considered incomplete and your application will be returned to you by mail."
<That's why it's best to wait until you've received the LOI and then apply for a new passport, contact them and update the details.

When is your passport expiring?

I think if it is valid for the time it's likely to take for your IEC application to be processed, i.e. 3 months or so from now, then you should be good to apply using it.

You can read these threads also:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749511

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/can...-question.html

If you were in London I'd say book an appointment at the passport office in Victoria and pay the extra money, I did that 2 years ago, the appointment I had to wait 1 week for and then when I got to the passport office for the appointment they interviewed me and told me to come back to collect my new passport in 4 hours!

...In all honesty I don't know for sure but if I was in your position then I would apply straight away with my passport. Then once I had the LOI, I'd tell them I have a new passport and give them the details. I'd then bring my old passport and my new passport to the port of entry and at that stage I seriously doubt there'd be any problem or that they would cap the duration of the permit as the new passport would have 10 years on it...
Thanks for the detailed response BritishExpatriate, I really appreciate it!
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

MikeBrit will become famous soon enough

Apply for your new passport now, they are issued very quickly at this time of year and I guarantee the places on the IEC will not fill up for at least a couple of months. Even using standard service I would expect your new passport back within a week or two at the most, by which time IEC13 will have only just opened. But do make sure you use the Post Office check and send service as you do not was your passport application returned for the form being completed incorrectly.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeBrit
Apply for your new passport now, they are issued very quickly at this time of year and I guarantee the places on the IEC will not fill up for at least a couple of months. Even using standard service I would expect your new passport back within a week or two at the most, by which time IEC13 will have only just opened. But do make sure you use the Post Office check and send service as you do not was your passport application returned for the form being completed incorrectly.
I think she's in Canada! I don't know what the waiting times are if you apply for a new passport via the UK Embassy in Washington...
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

MikeBrit will become famous soon enough

My apologies, my advise is valid only if he/she is in the UK planning to apply for the 2013 IEC.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Embassy of the UK in Washington DC says: "Processing time
We aim to process passport renewals within four weeks, under normal circumstances. But this timing but does not allow for any additional delays to delivery times beyond our control. If you need to travel urgently, please see the Urgent travel page."
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

My apologies, my advise is valid only if he/she is in the UK planning to apply for the 2013 IEC.
I would agree with you TBH because I reckon the IEC quota for this year will take 3 months at the very minimum to run out! So even if someone is abroad and applies from North America for a renewal there will still be time.

Last edited by BritishExpatriate; Jan 10th 2013 at 12:22 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

I would agree with you TBH because I reckon the IEC quota for this year will take 3 months at the very minimum to run out! So even if someone is abroad and applies from North America for a renewal there will still be time.
Thanks guys. I just don't want the stress of the IEC being open and waiting on my passport to be returned. I'll apply with my current passport (which is good till August 2014 anyway) and then once I have the LOI, I'll sort it out.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

set321go is an unknown quantity at this point

I renewed my passport in november from vancouver, it took 3 and a half including postage (and that was before christmas which i would assume was busier)
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

twist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond repute

I have just noticed that not only is Australia's process open already, they also have no limit to their quota AND they can apply as many times as they like as long as they continue to meet the requirements! so they are not limited to only applying once like pretty much every other country. Seems a bit unfair.

How do they work all of this out?
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twist_freeride
I have just noticed that not only is Australia's process open already, they also have no limit to their quota AND they can apply as many times as they like as long as they continue to meet the requirements! so they are not limited to only applying once like pretty much every other country. Seems a bit unfair.

How do they work all of this out?
It's been that way for years. Basically it's a reciprocal agreement, so those from Oz going to Canada get that, but also Canadians going to Oz get the same, it's whatever the governments agree.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 5:57 am
Just Joined

McDan1el is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey All,

I have my Police Check ready (issued 17/12/2012) for the IEC to open however I have since moved address, so the address on Police Check is now out of date compared with all my ID etc... is that going to cause an issue at all?

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.