International Experience Canada

Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Experience Canada

$75 seems like a lot just to switch to visitor status.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishExpatriate
$75 seems like a lot just to switch to visitor status.
Cheaper than flying back to the UK
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Cheaper than flying back to the UK
Though not necessarily cheaper than taking a trip to visit a US border town for the day...
Old Jan 7th 2013, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Though not necessarily cheaper than taking a trip to visit a US border town for the day...
Not many can resist spending less than $75 on a day trip to the US either
Old Jan 7th 2013, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not many can resist spending less than $75 on a day trip to the US either
Yeah but that's no justification for the Canadian government taking as much money as they can for something that will likely take 2 mins of their time to accept of decline the request!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah but that's no justification for the Canadian government taking as much money as they can for something that will likely take 2 mins of their time to accept of decline the request!
True but thats the price you need to pay to stay in a Country that you have no legal right to enter if you wish to stay. Which is more important staying in a country you want to be in at this present time or returning to your own country?
$75 to possibly extend your stay in Canada or you could spend that on a ticket to watch Liverpool.
You tell me which is better value for money
Old Jan 7th 2013, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

flo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Cumbrian7
Hello, this is my first post here but seen as you are in a similar position to me and I know how frustrating it can be to not have an answer i thought i'd create an account quickly. As you spent over 6 months in the US according to the guidelines you do need to get an FBI record check (this may change this year but I doubt it). Here is the link on how to obtain the FBI check: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/bac...est-to-the-fbi . I applied for mine in September/October 2012 and it took 6 weeks to come. Although as they are only valid for 3 months from issue i've actually found myself applying for one again tomorrow. The most difficult part is finding someone to do the fingerprints, I used a private service in Scotland but your local police station/force should be able to do it for you/point you in the right direction, it costs around £70 from what i've seen. Make sure to send it recorded delivery so you know it arrives. Also yes you will need a UK police check from the ACPO you can rush these through in a couple of days though: http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx . Hope this helps if you have any questions you can message me (i think,).
Thank you SO much for your help. I've been searching the internet to find stories of other people in my position, but I couldn't find much. I'm gonna apply now for the police check, and hope that there are some places left.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 5:38 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

True but thats the price you need to pay to stay in a Country that you have no legal right to enter if you wish to stay. Which is more important staying in a country you want to be in at this present time or returning to your own country?
$75 to possibly extend your stay in Canada or you could spend that on a ticket to watch Liverpool.
Just a side note. The fees were introduced to cover the cost of the service, which is not used by residents of Canada, so it was felt that if a non resident wanted a service, they paid for it.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Just a side note. The fees were introduced to cover the cost of the service, which is not used by residents of Canada, so it was felt that if a non resident wanted a service, they paid for it.
It is used by residents of Canada because in order to switch to tourist status while in Canada you must already be resident in Canada.

Anyway, I don't believe the Canadian taxpayer should pay for it if that is what you meant.

My point was simply that the charge of $75 seems excessive, relative to the likely cost to the relevant government agency in providing the service. I'm not questioning the Canadian government's authority in imposing such a charge, but I will criticise it all I like!

Last edited by BritishExpatriate; Jan 7th 2013 at 5:52 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

I totally agree.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

ScarySquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by twist_freeride
Has anyone who is waiting contacted people in Canada with regards to accommodation yet?

There are a bunch of adverts for students or single females in terms of house shares, but finding short term accommodation for couples has been a challenge! has anyone else found this to be an issue?
My girlfriend and I have booked our first 2 weeks stay in a place via www.airbnb.co.uk, rather than go down the hostel route. We planned to stay somewhere for a whole month to begin with but this did seem difficult, 2 weeks seemed easier to sort out.

We've been keeping an eye on Craigslist and the other usual suspects for longer term lets for when we get there, not that we'll find something now, but just to get an idea of the kind of places we can get for our money
Old Jan 7th 2013, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

I totally agree.
The cost of the service doesn't change just because those who use the service are the ones paying for it and not the Canadian tax payer. That just means that those who use the service are paying for it and not the Canadian taxpayer!
I don't think the Canadian taxpayer should have to pay for it! Doesn't mean I don't consider the charge to be a bit excessive. (Which I do!) Thankyou
Old Jan 7th 2013, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScarySquirrel
My girlfriend and I have booked our first 2 weeks stay in a place via www.airbnb.co.uk, rather than go down the hostel route. We planned to stay somewhere for a whole month to begin with but this did seem difficult, 2 weeks seemed easier to sort out.

We've been keeping an eye on Craigslist and the other usual suspects for longer term lets for when we get there, not that we'll find something now, but just to get an idea of the kind of places we can get for our money
Just out of interest, what are the rent prices like through that website? Are they comparable to longer term rent such as one would find on Craigslist?
Old Jan 7th 2013, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

ScarySquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Just out of interest, what are the rent prices like through that website? Are they comparable to longer term rent such as one would find on Craigslist?
It really varies, as you'd expect.

We're paying about £450 for our place, which is a bit of an odd one to explain. It's a private room in a house, but it's actually got it's own private entrance, en-suite bathroom and a little kitchenette area (fridge, microwave, utensils, etc. Just no oven). So it would work out at £450 each if we stayed there for a month, which is quite expensive really. We pay £775 in total for a part-furnished 1 bed flat in the UK now, in a fairly affluent area.

We did see lots of places for less though, and arguably alot nicer as they were full apartments. However it was really difficult finding someone that would let us have it for 2-4 weeks, as a lot of the people listing there live at the apartment normally, but put it up for the odd week or two here and there as and when they go away.

I have no idea if I'm making sense or not! Sorry
Old Jan 7th 2013, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is used by residents of Canada because in order to switch to tourist status while in Canada you must already be resident in Canada.

Anyway, I don't believe the Canadian taxpayer should pay for it if that is what you meant.

My point was simply that the charge of $75 seems excessive, relative to the likely cost to the relevant government agency in providing the service. I'm not questioning the Canadian government's authority in imposing such a charge, but I will criticise it all I like!
They are only temporary residents and do not have the same rights as permanent residents. CIC employees are paid by the Canadian taxpayers so in a word we can say we are paying for this service.
I think paying $10 for a block of cheese is excessive but thats neither here or there. The $75 fee is basically a cost recovery cost and has remained at that amount over the last few years. CIC actually decreased some of the fees several years ago (Landing Fee example). Sure it could take 2 minutes to make a decision or several hours looking over documentation as to why that person wishes to extend and then render a decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.