Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Jun 21st 2012, 5:53 am
Just Joined

LDN2TO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Hi all, I have been a quiet observer for the last few months and thought that I would get involved given that I will hopefully be heading to TO in a few months on the IEC programme. Good luck to all waiting for confirmation, and for those heading out shortly, best of luck!

Scotty, having seen all of the positive feedback on your blog I would be very grateful if you can send me a link so that I can take a look please?

Many thanks
LDN2TO
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

UK_Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by age26
Yeh I saw air transat was reasonable do you know how much extra they charge for another bag?

I think I'm planning on staying in the city until I find a place to live however I really don't know where that will be!

Do you have a job lined up at all?
I upgraded with air transat which gave me 40kg + 15kg hand, it cost me £500 but worked out cheaper than having to pay for excess baggage or shipping.

I do not have a job lined up yet, I luckily have family to stay with initially whilst I find work.

We could arrange a meet up maybe? Be good to meet others in the same/similar situation.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Excess baggage is expensive i paid over 150GBP for excess! Not worth it!!
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

markstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scottyxx
Excess baggage is expensive i paid over 150GBP for excess! Not worth it!!
So true. That's why Air Canada can be worth the extra flight price, since they have very good Europe to North America baggage policies. 1x hold luggage to 23KG, 1x medium sized trolley/wheely type as carry on, 1x small backpack, and 1 personal item (v small bag).

Their extra hold luggage fee of £40 will give you another hold luggage item also up to 23KG so you can pack a shedload with you!
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

I flew Air Transat, they overbooked the flight and so every piece of baggage was weight. I was allowed 1 Hold bag at 20kg, and 1 cabin bag, less than 5kg. That is all. They decided my carry on bag was to big, so I had to put it in the hold, it was 10kg and a small trolley case, and my laptop bag became my carry on, because you are only allowed one bag.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

markstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to behold

I flew Air Transat, they overbooked the flight and so every piece of baggage was weight. I was allowed 1 Hold bag at 20kg, and 1 cabin bag, less than 5kg. That is all. They decided my carry on bag was to big, so I had to put it in the hold, it was 10kg and a small trolley case, and my laptop bag became my carry on, because you are only allowed one bag.
Jeez - thanks for the heads up. I'm flying back to London next month for work, and since they're paying, they went with the cheapest - Air Transat. Can't wait...! Will make sure I travel light - for a change!
Old Jun 21st 2012, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Anyone who is working in Canada already got any ideas about insurance? Do I need to purchase Backpacker insurance through the Uk, or can I get Basic Health insurance? I am completely 100% covered by OHIP and my Employer but thats not good enough, apparently 3 insurance policies is the charm lol. I found a Basic policy for $63 per year, it covers nothing because I said I already have OHIP and SunLife full benefits, would this do?
Old Jun 21st 2012, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

ggreenwo is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone who is working in Canada already got any ideas about insurance? Do I need to purchase Backpacker insurance through the Uk, or can I get Basic Health insurance? I am completely 100% covered by OHIP and my Employer but thats not good enough, apparently 3 insurance policies is the charm lol. I found a Basic policy for $63 per year, it covers nothing because I said I already have OHIP and SunLife full benefits, would this do?
Hi Scotty,

What is the name of the Basic Policy insurer that you have found - as I will have to do the same when I get my LOI (hopefully soon). I live in Vancouver so have BC health card and currently have personal insurance that took out when still living in England - but that will expire pretty much when I cross the border to come back?

Does anybody know if it will be ok to get a Canadian Insurer or does it have to be British? Just wondering as one of the requirements that I remember reading is that it should cover repatriation if necessary.....

Thanks
Gemma
Old Jun 21st 2012, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

I am panicked now Gemma, I found GMS Group Medical Services: https://online.gms.ca/cims/web/indiv/applicant.aspx
Old Jun 21st 2012, 8:23 am
Just Joined

LakeLouise is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all, wanted to get some opinions...
this is my second iec visa, lived and worked in lake louise for the past year, came back to apply for the new permit as mine expired may 10th.
my timeline is thus:
NOR: May 23
Payment request: June 15
Payment and IMM12295 sent: June 15
Sent to CIC: June 18
LOI: ... waiting!

I left my job on a Leave of Absence, but left my friends and apartment (with all my stuff in!) and my job, all waiting for my return.
Does anyone know if I'm likely to be turned down at this point due to no visas being left, or is the allocation and subsequent "countdown" of available visas done when it is recieved, rather than granted? I'm completely paranoid and freaking myself out!!
Any ideas on a rough timescale would be awesome.

If anyone wants any advice about going to BC/Alberta also I will be more than happy to help.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 8:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LakeLouise
I left my job on a Leave of Absence, but left my friends and apartment (with all my stuff in!) and my job, all waiting for my return.
No idea about your question I'm afraid, but I'm intrigued - why did you leave Canada and your job etc, instead of just getting another IEC so you could keep working?

Sorry, I know it's nosy, but I'm just curious!
Old Jun 21st 2012, 8:36 am
Just Joined

LakeLouise is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No idea about your question I'm afraid, but I'm intrigued - why did you leave Canada and your job etc, instead of just getting another IEC so you could keep working?

Sorry, I know it's nosy, but I'm just curious!
Haha, interesting question! In around January, when re-applying from Canada would have been possible, I was quite unhappy (severe Vitamin D deficiency from that long winter I think!), and so decided to leave for good and move home. Then, as the weather picked up, I got a new boyfriend etc, I decided I wanted to stay, but the timescale of getting the police certificate and forms sent in was going to be about 2 months from Canada, plus all the iec processing times, whereas if I came home the police cert would take 2 days to get, I thought it would be much simpler. Was not counting on there being so few visas available, but I'm hoping I got in there just in time
So to sum up... my own fault really, ruled by emotion rather than sense. But luckily work have been great about it and are keeping my job for me until i can get back.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 8:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, interesting question! In around January, when re-applying from Canada would have been possible, I was quite unhappy (severe Vitamin D deficiency from that long winter I think!), and so decided to leave for good and move home. Then, as the weather picked up, I got a new boyfriend etc, I decided I wanted to stay, but the timescale of getting the police certificate and forms sent in was going to be about 2 months from Canada, plus all the iec processing times, whereas if I came home the police cert would take 2 days to get, I thought it would be much simpler. Was not counting on there being so few visas available, but I'm hoping I got in there just in time
So to sum up... my own fault really, ruled by emotion rather than sense. But luckily work have been great about it and are keeping my job for me until i can get back.
Ah, I see - makes a bit more sense now! You could have had the police cert sent to a relatives address, and then had them Fedex it to you to save time though.

Hope you get your second visa.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

ggreenwo is an unknown quantity at this point

I am panicked now Gemma, I found GMS Group Medical Services: https://online.gms.ca/cims/web/indiv/applicant.aspx
Ah excellent, thank you!
I know how you feel - because when we came over we wernt even asked for our insurance by like how other posters have said it is a requirement of the IEC so I rather have it just don't want to get one that won't work and get turned down anyway?
When are you crossing the border? You flying out of Canada and then back in or doing it by Car?
Old Jun 21st 2012, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

UK_Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with your LOI, for everyone waiting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.