International Experience Canada

Old Jun 21st 2012, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Hello everyone.

I'm new to this thread and to the forums in general. I've been reading people's stories and experiences with great interest over the last week or so, because I'm hoping to go out to Canada next year to be with my boyfriend.

So, I know this is jumping the gun a bit, but I was wondering when IEC is likely to put up information about applications for next year, and whether they will open on Jan 1st or sooner/later? I know you can never tell exactly with a thing like this, but people here must have previous knowledge of what it had been like in previous years.

I'm pretty excited about getting this ball rolling.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Shesdressingup is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm flying to Vancouver in 3 weeks & have a few questions I would love if anyone could help me with...

Regarding proof of funds at the border - I assume you can't print off your bank statement from your online banking account... It has to be something you have organised at your branch that is signed by a bank official? I'm just worried that my bank can't get me a statement within the week and then I'm stuck (I don't know why that would happen but... Worry worry!)

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows the laws regarding taking medication into Canada? I have read in some places that you can only take 3 months worth of medication in with you regardless of how long you plan to stay & somewhere that claimed you can take 3 months with you in person and have a further 3 months posted to you with a copy of your prescription, although I can't find the source of that info.

I just have no idea what is correct & I was hoping someone could clear it up for me because I take asthma medication that I need to have with me, as well as the good old contraceptive pill. Also, considering I will only have travel health insurance with my IEC visa, are prescription prices for things like asthma medication going to be very high? (I know this isn't strictly iec/visa related so sorry to ask here, but just incase someone in the thread knows!)

So sorry for this essay of a post. I'm stressing out & answers to any of my queries would be very much appreciated .
Old Jun 21st 2012, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My banking institution has informed me they will not provide a bank statement before my departure to Canada. What can I submit as a substitute when I arrive at the Port of Entry?

If your banking institution will not provide you with a bank statement that demonstrates you have sufficient funds in your bank account to support yourself financially for the first three months of your stay in Canada (C$2,500), you may submit the following as proof of funds:
•A letter on official letterhead from your banking institution issued one (1) week before your departure for Canada that clearly shows your account balance, signed, dated, and preferably stamped.

Please note you must submit the original letter provided to you by your banking institution, not a photocopy.

Dependent on the drugs/medications CBSA will only be difficult if not in approved containers and marked as to type. A 12 month supply shouldnt cause too many problems.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

LakeLouise is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shesdressingup
I'm flying to Vancouver in 3 weeks & have a few questions I would love if anyone could help me with...

Regarding proof of funds at the border - I assume you can't print off your bank statement from your online banking account... It has to be something you have organised at your branch that is signed by a bank official? I'm just worried that my bank can't get me a statement within the week and then I'm stuck (I don't know why that would happen but... Worry worry!)

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows the laws regarding taking medication into Canada? I have read in some places that you can only take 3 months worth of medication in with you regardless of how long you plan to stay & somewhere that claimed you can take 3 months with you in person and have a further 3 months posted to you with a copy of your prescription, although I can't find the source of that info.

I just have no idea what is correct & I was hoping someone could clear it up for me because I take asthma medication that I need to have with me, as well as the good old contraceptive pill. Also, considering I will only have travel health insurance with my IEC visa, are prescription prices for things like asthma medication going to be very high? (I know this isn't strictly iec/visa related so sorry to ask here, but just incase someone in the thread knows!)

So sorry for this essay of a post. I'm stressing out & answers to any of my queries would be very much appreciated .
unfortunately I have no idea about the banking thing as the process has changed since my last visa, and would like to know the answer myself. I assume you have to speak to a teller at the bank, and get an official statement on (for example) Lloyds TSB letterhead paper showing the date and your bank balance.
As far as the medication goes, I am also asthmatic and took plenty of inhalers with me when i moved last time, as well as about 9 months supply of my contraceptive pill. i wasn't asked any questions about what i was bringing in, and it didn't seem to matter to anyone! prescriptions vary, depending which drug stores you get them from. from memory, at rexall one ventolin/salbutomol (blue) inhaler was about $20, and a bectotide (brown) inhaler was much more expensive, at around $50. i'm lucky enough to have great health benefits that cover prescription charges with my job, so i don't know if that will apply to you also? you just submit your prescriptions and they pay you back. 3 months of birth-control was about $50, but be careful as they don't have the same brand i use in england over there, so either try to get your doc to prescribe you a year here for you to take, or keep the repeat prescription form and get your mum to mail you some more?
hope this helps!
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

roberto_the_besto is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I went in to my bank today and asked to make an appointment to have a letter written to show proof of funds but the man said that they normally just print bank statements off, is that correct?

Could I not just print my own bank statement off?

I thought it had to be on official paper?

Any advice on this? I am once again confused.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Loui-d is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markstimson
So true. That's why Air Canada can be worth the extra flight price, since they have very good Europe to North America baggage policies. 1x hold luggage to 23KG, 1x medium sized trolley/wheely type as carry on, 1x small backpack, and 1 personal item (v small bag).

Their extra hold luggage fee of £40 will give you another hold luggage item also up to 23KG so you can pack a shedload with you!
thanks for this! I was just wondering how i would get all my stuff over.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

cptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nice

Originally Posted by KuroKuro
Hello everyone.

I'm new to this thread and to the forums in general. I've been reading people's stories and experiences with great interest over the last week or so, because I'm hoping to go out to Canada next year to be with my boyfriend.

So, I know this is jumping the gun a bit, but I was wondering when IEC is likely to put up information about applications for next year, and whether they will open on Jan 1st or sooner/later? I know you can never tell exactly with a thing like this, but people here must have previous knowledge of what it had been like in previous years.

I'm pretty excited about getting this ball rolling.
It says Fall on the IEC website, but thats a pretty broad time scale. It could mean September - November. I think it will be more towards November sort of time, however, only they are the ones who know. I'm also excited to get the ball rolling, already nervous about how daunting it will be to go to a country where i know no one. Should be fun though =] Good look with your application when you do apply
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

the lythes is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone recommend any companies for medical insurance that they have used? - Thanks
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

cptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nice

Originally Posted by the lythes
Can anyone recommend any companies for medical insurance that they have used? - Thanks
Not used them myself but ACE comes recomended by some people on this thread.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

the lythes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cptkid89
Not used them myself but ACE comes recomended by some people on this thread.
Thanks, I'll check them out. DOes anyone know that if my LOI hasn't come through by the time we travel next Friday!! and we enter as visitors, can I just go with normal travel insurance? Or do I still need health insurance??

Thanks
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Loui-d
thanks for this! I was just wondering how i would get all my stuff over.
Be VERY Careful. Air Transat (who work for Canadian Affair) will not allow you all that on the plane. You will get 1 Checked bag, and 1 Cabin bag, which has to be small and under 5kg, your laptop is seperate but cannot be in a bag, and if you are a woman you are allowed a handbag as well as your cabin bag.

If they have oversold the flight, you are going to be asked to meet exactly the requirements they have set. I was made check my handluggage and put it in the hold because I thought I could take a laptop bag AND a backpack, but I couldn't.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by the lythes
Thanks, I'll check them out. DOes anyone know that if my LOI hasn't come through by the time we travel next Friday!! and we enter as visitors, can I just go with normal travel insurance? Or do I still need health insurance??

Thanks
My advice would be to just by the 13 months insurance from ACE that then gives you leeway either side . That is what I have done anyway. It covers you to go to any country in the world and also has the cheapest excess of £75. It's around about £180 for 13 months cover if you choose the budget option or £220 if you choose the other one. I don't have many valuables so I chose not to have baggage insured. If you're a couple it's even cheaper.

Robert
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scottyxx
Be VERY Careful. Air Transat (who work for Canadian Affair) will not allow you all that on the plane. You will get 1 Checked bag, and 1 Cabin bag, which has to be small and under 5kg, your laptop is seperate but cannot be in a bag, and if you are a woman you are allowed a handbag as well as your cabin bag.

If they have oversold the flight, you are going to be asked to meet exactly the requirements they have set. I was made check my handluggage and put it in the hold because I thought I could take a laptop bag AND a backpack, but I couldn't.
SO what are you supposed to do with the laptop? Are you supposed to hold it in your hand? I've already got a backpack and a laptop case which I was going to put in the backpack. I also have a little bag full of medicine which I am allowed to take separately.

I wanted to put bulky items such as shoes etc in my hand luggage. Are there hand baggage restrictions like easyjet? Mine is both fine for Easyjet and Ryanair because it fits into their holder that checks the hand baggage.

Robert
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Yes, You are supposed to hold it in your hand! I was RAGING! I was like you told me I can bring a laptop, and they said yes you can but not in a bag. My Handluggage was a small trolley case and they said no, I could not take it on because it weighed more than 5kg.

But if you go and the flight isnt oversold, they wont even care.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scottyxx
Yes, You are supposed to hold it in your hand! I was RAGING! I was like you told me I can bring a laptop, and they said yes you can but not in a bag. My Handluggage was a small trolley case and they said no, I could not take it on because it weighed more than 5kg.

But if you go and the flight isnt oversold, they wont even care.
Oh OK...that is so strange. I've never heard of that. I'll carry my laptop in my hand then and put it in my backpack (which will contain my laptop bag when I get on the plane).

Well my flight is the most expensive flight that there is. It has shot up to £569.99 and nothing is near that so I am presuming that it is going to be a very busy flight. I haven't even reserved a seat, I don't see the point. I'm going to go smartly dressed and hope for an upgrade.

So just to clarify, I can hold my laptop in my hand which is not classed as weighed hand luggage and then have 5kg in my backpack which is not heavy anyway? It sounds so ridiculous lol.

Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.