Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whinging Pom House seller

Wikiposts

Whinging Pom House seller

Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whinging Pom House seller

Originally Posted by nickywes
At least we know we can do it but it is not what we want because we won't have an income when we move over initially as we don't quite know what to do yet. OH wanted to buy land and either sell as blocks or build and sell but without the money to get started it would be hard. Definitely don't want any loans or anything In fact don't think I ever want to buy again but may change my mind.

That's the way I feel. Don't want to be trapped like this again...

Daughter going with boyfriend both as PR's. They were Augustees but early on so got their visa before it suddenly stopped. They are having 3 weeks in Thailand, 1 week in Singapore and then flying to Perth, buying a camper van and travel all round doing nothing. They saved lots of money so as to travel a bit and hopefully will meet up with us when/if we get there.

Sounds fantastic. fanulous opportunity. Wish We'd gone for it when we were young.

I wonder if any of your old viewers will come back now with the reduction.
Just had a look on that property snake at our house and it shows a reduction already. Lots of them in this area too.

That's a horrible site! Can't find our house on it though. Phew. There are several in our area which have reduced as much as we have. It's frightening.

Keep your chin up and think of how great it will be and how much more you will appreciate it when you get there.

Nicky xx

Thanks hun, I blinkin hope it's worth it. We've lost a huge chunk of the money we've worked for years for.. I don't have the energy to do it again. wanted to go to Oz for a quiet less pressured life. Not to work every hour Gods sends to make money. Really a bit all over the place with all this.

Keep your chin up too - we'll get there and if we don't, we've made every possible effort.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gonnago
Not about tonight just wanted to pop on and say my heart is absolutely breaking for you Nic.
Thanks hun. Just thought it better to undercut the market now than chip away at the price.

Hey Hayles

Did you get your visa, heard they were moving again.

Nicky
Yes, 4 Augustees got their grants today. Apparently the DIAC finally took on some more staff - about time eh??? Hope you hear really soon Gonnago - and Mozzy and everyone else waiting and waiting...
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mOZzy
FA you ARE on a mission!! you always stay so positive - wow!!!
but i am with you on that one: we also want to sell - whatever it takes!
and start afraish on the other side

we even tend on not taking much with us - just personal things!
for the 4K we'd spend on shipping we ought to get lots to fill a house

thinking of you!
Thanks hun - missed this earlier. Have to stay positive. If I get negative, I would have a nervous breakdown. I have had terrible things happen in my life, this isn't anything compared to them. So I can get through it - it's only money. I've also had great enormous strokes of luck and wonderful happy things happen. I am waiting for the next wonderful thing to come along.

Good luck to you - I'm sure it will work out for all of us.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

ClaireM will become famous soon enough

Hi guys

Just to give you a bit of hope that some houses are still selling....I finally (after weeks of delays, endless phone calls, the EA's office closing down, inept solicitors etc etc) exchanged on my house sale today and we complete on Friday
Relieved doesn't begin to cover it - I had to get a house clearance company in to get rid of my stuff before the exchange went through, and I was terrified that the buyers would change their minds. Especially with all the current gloom and doom about house selling.
Thanks for the slaps with the wet fish, and generally nursing me through a fairly neurotic time. To be honest it was worse than waiting for the visa! There were times when I was convinced it was never going to happen, but it did. So hang in there guys.

Thanks again
Claire x
Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

dinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nice

Wow Congratulations!
Thanks for posting, you have renewed my hope that ours will exchange.... eventually
Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ClaireM
Hi guys

Just to give you a bit of hope that some houses are still selling....I finally (after weeks of delays, endless phone calls, the EA's office closing down, inept solicitors etc etc) exchanged on my house sale today and we complete on Friday
Relieved doesn't begin to cover it - I had to get a house clearance company in to get rid of my stuff before the exchange went through, and I was terrified that the buyers would change their minds. Especially with all the current gloom and doom about house selling.
Thanks for the slaps with the wet fish, and generally nursing me through a fairly neurotic time. To be honest it was worse than waiting for the visa! There were times when I was convinced it was never going to happen, but it did. So hang in there guys.

Thanks again
Claire x
WOOHOO!!!! Great news Claire. Glad that the torture is over and you have exchanged. It has given me hope it can actually happen!

Originally Posted by dinky2
Wow Congratulations!
Thanks for posting, you have renewed my hope that ours will exchange.... eventually
How's it going Dinky? Any news on the survey?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

dinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fly Away
WOOHOO!!!! Great news Claire. Glad that the torture is over and you have exchanged. It has given me hope it can actually happen!

How's it going Dinky? Any news on the survey?
Painfully slowly! Solicitors useless, EA not interested. OH phoned today to ask why after 11 weeks we still don't have a date, to be told the conveyancers are very busy, how in this market I don't know
Apparently, something is in the post for us to sign to confirm we didn't break any covenants when we had our conservatory built. As we got planning permission from the same council that owns the land, I'm hoping not

Saw your price drop news earlier, ouch Hope it works
Old Apr 9th 2008, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dinky2
Painfully slowly! Solicitors useless, EA not interested. OH phoned today to ask why after 11 weeks we still don't have a date, to be told the conveyancers are very busy, how in this market I don't know
Apparently, something is in the post for us to sign to confirm we didn't break any covenants when we had our conservatory built. As we got planning permission from the same council that owns the land, I'm hoping not

Saw your price drop news earlier, ouch Hope it works
Are you using Countrywide conveyancers? (I think they are called that) We used them once and they are really slow. Fingers crossed you hear something soon - I would recommend calling everyday for an update. 11 weeks is TOO slow.:curse:

I feel sick that we have lost so much money. At least we know we have tried our best.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:17 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparky wife
Just wanted to say goodbye guys, hope you all get good news soon. Am thinking of you all. I can honestly say that getting the visa was the easy bit, (even having filled out all of the paperwork ourselves)...this house lark is just beyond anything I had expected.

We're signing the paperwork our end Friday, as our buyer's paperwork has come back, so everything crossed it completes in the next couple of weeks.

Am not convinved that the buyer isn't going to do a mass drop, but that is another story...I am prepared for anything...

Take care guys xxxxx
Heres hoping that the buyers play this straight ... and you have a great trip

Well, I think my OH may have a few words for me....

EA just phoned to say the 2 developers weren't interested. But the one who came a few weeks back is, but can't proceed for another 3 months....

So I asked her advice and she said a significant reduction and offersover would be the way to go. So I reduced the price by..... £100K yes one hundred thousand pounds... I feel sick. It is offers over and that was the auction reserve price, so haven't lost anything really, but it is real money we put in as deposit and work we have done to the house. (We only bought 3 years ago for more than it is on the market for now...)

I also reduced the flat by another £10k and she is going to advertise it as bargain of the week, must be sold etc....

F word, I feel sick, £110K in one phone call, that would buy a house in Adelaide....
OMG
i knew you said that you were looking at a big reduction ... but i didnt think you mean huge
You mush be feeling gutted.
After all of this it MUST be your time to sell - fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed for you!
Just think of the positives - when you are are here and we are working our way through a LARGE bottle of SA wine it will all have been worth it!!!!

(p.s. what did P say?!)

Just told OH - I phrased it so that we don't have to take a low offer if we don't want to. So he is OK(ish) A bit pale though....

never mind my last question - this answers it anyway!

I hope we can both make up these drops in Aus when the prices come down there. I sure as hell am not going to buy until they do!
Ok hun i know you are having a rough time of it at the mo but can stop talking about prices crashing in oz or i am going to get very cross with you

Originally Posted by steveandtina
Going to stay with friends in Wynn Vale at 1st but like you will rent where there is work and good school.

Can you not re morg house for a lump sum and rent it out? No its not the best idea but god to take that drop is hard to swallow.

Did the EA go for the open house idea?
Oooh i was in Wynn Vale this morning - looking at the fab view

Hi guys

Thanks again
Claire x
Fab news

T x
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:55 pm
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparky wife
Just wanted to say goodbye guys, hope you all get good news soon. Am thinking of you all. I can honestly say that getting the visa was the easy bit, (even having filled out all of the paperwork ourselves)...this house lark is just beyond anything I had expected.

We're signing the paperwork our end Friday, as our buyer's paperwork has come back, so everything crossed it completes in the next couple of weeks.

Am not convinved that the buyer isn't going to do a mass drop, but that is another story...I am prepared for anything...

Take care guys xxxxx
Good luck with the completion!!, Miranda xx

Well, I think my OH may have a few words for me....

EA just phoned to say the 2 developers weren't interested. But the one who came a few weeks back is, but can't proceed for another 3 months....

So I asked her advice and she said a significant reduction and offersover would be the way to go. So I reduced the price by..... £100K yes one hundred thousand pounds... I feel sick. It is offers over and that was the auction reserve price, so haven't lost anything really, but it is real money we put in as deposit and work we have done to the house. (We only bought 3 years ago for more than it is on the market for now...)

I also reduced the flat by another £10k and she is going to advertise it as bargain of the week, must be sold etc....

F word, I feel sick, £110K in one phone call, that would buy a house in Adelaide...
Here's to the best bidding war ever To a price well over your last offer of 65 K more than your current asking price

Have just looked into renting house out, which we will do if not sold by August, and they reckon we could get £2,500 per month wowee! Don't want to go this route but we could at least go to Oz and get started and be able to cover mortgage and stuff. Who would want to pay that amount to rent a house?

My youngest daughter is going on the 25th and I have started worrying about it already. I am going to take her to Heathrow to say goodbye.
Not looking forward to it already.
But we will all think positive, YOUR HOUSE WILL BE SOLD BEFORE AUGUST!! Is your daughter going to family or is she going to backpack?

Hi guys

Thanks again
Claire x
Thanks for the 'hang in there' peptalk!!

Last edited by tum; Apr 9th 2008 at 5:56 pm. Reason: missed a [ with my IMG
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

mOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud of

Hi guys

Thanks again
Claire x

that's great news
as the others said: it DOES give hope!!!!!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 6:07 pm
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Morning Mozzy, your up pretty early too. Have a nice day, within another 10 minutes or so work will be calling and Joe has to go to school.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Are you using Countrywide conveyancers? (I think they are called that) We used them once and they are really slow. Fingers crossed you hear something soon - I would recommend calling everyday for an update. 11 weeks is TOO slow.:curse:

I feel sick that we have lost so much money. At least we know we have tried our best.
How did you guess, yes we are using countrywide. It's like ringing a call centre, you never know who will answer the phone or how helpful they will be. We feel really stupid for going with the EA's recommendation, have since googled them and the reviews they get on the net are awful. Still, a lesson has been learned!:curse:

Really hope you get a sale soon

C
xx
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks hun - missed this earlier. Have to stay positive. If I get negative, I would have a nervous breakdown. I have had terrible things happen in my life, this isn't anything compared to them. So I can get through it - it's only money. I've also had great enormous strokes of luck and wonderful happy things happen. I am waiting for the next wonderful thing to come along.

Good luck to you - I'm sure it will work out for all of us.
FA

Good to hear you so positive still, I'm sure your next stroke of luck will come along soon

Sam
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

We have accpeted an offer on our house, haggled as much as we could and got the offer up a bit more, we will have dropped £27,500 on our original asking price but i@m not sure how realistic that price ever was really.

So ..... he wants to exchange in 6 weeks
No chain with us, and none with him, so it could happen (I now there is along way to go before we sign on the dotted line) but OMG - there's so much to do!

Had a mini break down last night after we had a long talk about finances (not good) but OK again this morning. Can't book anything yet but busy getting ideas of flight prices, temporary accommodation, bank accounts, car rental, schools, removals - ahhhhhhhh, breathe, calm, breathe!!!

Good luck, B of E hopefully dropping the rate again later, its got to help

Sam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.