Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whinging Pom House seller

Wikiposts

Whinging Pom House seller

Old May 28th 2008, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

mOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Whinging Pom House seller

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
just accepted increased offer on the house!!!!
only been on the markety since saturday, and only one couple came to see it, but they increased their offer by 10k, and are cash buyers in rented accommodation....sound too good to be true, so lets keep everything crossed!!!
Caroline
that's great news!!! no worries, i've got everything crossed!!!!!

Originally Posted by nickywes

Guess what I have just gone and done?

Booked our flights - We will leave on 23rd October regardless of whether we sell or not

Was just checking on flights and found a really good deal for business class, so booked them

Pressure is on now but don't care

i bet that lifted the spirits in your house -
Old May 28th 2008, 7:01 pm
Living the dream :)

nickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JenniGee
I think a lot of it is that I can't talk about this stuff with anyone else. No-one really understands how important is is to OH & myself, we really believe it's the best future for us & the kids. Everyone else in my family just thinks we're nuts for even wanting to go, let alone all the struggles we're having.

Checking in with you guys reminds me that we're not the only ones facing an uphill fight to try & make a better life for ourselves.

It occurred to me earlier, that although we sold the property when prices were high & moved into rented, we'll have spent a fair chunk of it on legal fees, so won't be that much better of than you guys by the time we finally get there.
Why do people think we are nuts to want to go, it is good to have a challenge and if it works out to a better quality of life then all good in my book. The amount of people, including my mum, that is trying to put me off is incredible. Fingers in ears la la la la la la
Sometimes I do have the same sort of thoughts though and have a moment of panic set in

Originally Posted by Fly Away
We are all in various stages of madness..... so we recognise yours. The things that are tripping us all up are not what you expect - I think that's what people don't understand. They also happen when you're quite a way through the process and can't turn back....

I don't think you've lost as much as us though... If we accept this offer, it is 40K under the price we paid for the house 4 years ago and we spent 50k on it.... Real money - not just imaginary equity... gulp.

Never mind - Big bro is back on next week.
Big Bro yeehaa When we all get there the money we have lost will be a distant memory and I doubt we will even think about it. It would make life that much sweeter but money isn't everything so they say

Originally Posted by formula
Thanks for the instructions on multi quoting nickywes I hope this works.

It took FA two attempts to get it through my thick skull how to do it

With even the government saying that they expect house prices to drop at best by 5% or 10% this year, I think that those buyers that are willing to buy now are looking for that 10% off. You can easily go onto websites and see what houses are actually selling for and then there are sites that show how much prices are dropping. Sorry, but that is what seems to be happening. I'm trying to stay calm and collected.

You need to have a landlords UK contact address now. Also, some letting agents are asking for proof that you are allowed to let the property, from the mortgage lender. A lot of tenants ask for this too now. Shelters website have a lot of information on there.
Do we have to inform the mortgage company at all if the agent doesn't ask for it? Never heard of Shelters website, will look it up, thanks.

Originally Posted by mOZzy
that's great news!!! no worries, i've got everything crossed!!!!!

i bet that lifted the spirits in your house -
It sure did

I woke up this morning in a blind panic about what I had done Am really glad and excited I did it but there is so much more in the bigger picture than the flights, oh my god

Got a text from DD2 this morning from Perth and thought would share it to keep us all going with the dream.

Really liking it, although this is the first day the sun has been out. Think it is going to be great living here. Our mechanic is from Maidstone and has been here 14 years and hates going back.

We are all going to have such a better life living here!

Now that sounds good.
Old May 28th 2008, 7:04 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

:eek
Guess what I have just gone and done?

Booked our flights We will leave on 23rd October regardless of whether we sell or not

Was just checking on flights and found a really good deal for business class, so booked them

Pressure is on now but don't care
Wow, brilliant news, thats something to work to. Who are you flying with? We'll have to meet up for a in December. What line of work is hubby in?

Joexx
Old May 28th 2008, 7:13 pm

nickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mark 'n' joe
Wow, brilliant news, thats something to work to. Who are you flying with? We'll have to meet up for a in December. What line of work is hubby in?

Joexx
Hi Joe

Hubby is a bricklayer by trade but can't remember the last time he was on the tools properly. We are flying with Eva Air. My eldest daughter will be coming over in December too (thats the next flight to book), she will stay 3 weeks.

Would definitely like to meet up. God knows where we will be though. We are going to stay for 4 weeks around the Gold Coast first and then may stay the next 4 weeks in Sunshine Coast and have a good look round.

Am really excited now but also a bit stressed. Wish the house would sell before we go. Come on St. Joe, do your stuff
Old May 28th 2008, 7:15 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers crossed for a sale. We stayed at Diamond Sands resort on Gold Coast, really nice apartments.

Good luck
Joex

ps Better get on with some work now or I'll be getting sacked
Old May 28th 2008, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by mark 'n' joe
Fingers crossed for a sale. We stayed at Diamond Sands resort on Gold Coast, really nice apartments.

Good luck
Joex

ps Better get on with some work now or I'll be getting sacked
Thanks Joe, will have a look at that resort. We have a timeshare that I have saved 4 banked weeks so will see if I can use that.

Have a good day at work. I am still in my pj's, very attractive
Old May 28th 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

When we all get there the money we have lost will be a distant memory and I doubt we will even think about it. It would make life that much sweeter but money isn't everything so they say
My sister lost a lot of money during the last crash, but still went to Oz in 2000. She bought a 15 acre plot with a fairly large, long mortgage. Then she subdivided the property and sold off the other plot during the recent house price rises in Oz. She paid off her mortgage with the proceeds of the sale.

Do we have to inform the mortgage company at all if the agent doesn't ask for it?
My understanding is that if you don't tell them, it is fraud. They own part of the property and have a 1st charge on it. A lot of lenders let the change go through on a nod and others make a small charge of about £100 from what I have found out. Others want a change of mortgage. Perhaps you could phone up and ask your lenders as a general enquiry, without giving your details?

Never heard of Shelters website, will look it up, thanks.
This is some of the stuff I found on Shelter's website about landord's responsibilities
http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-3181.cfm

I woke up this morning in a blind panic about what I had done Am really glad and excited I did it but there is so much more in the bigger picture than the flights, oh my god
Oz is only a couple of plane rides away. It's not like traveling there on a boat. If you don't like the life, then you can always change your mind.
Old May 28th 2008, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Morning all,

Why do people think we are nuts to want to go, it is good to have a challenge and if it works out to a better quality of life then all good in my book. The amount of people, including my mum, that is trying to put me off is incredible. Fingers in ears la la la la la la
Sometimes I do have the same sort of thoughts though and have a moment of panic set in :

People are trying to put us off because they don't want us to leave them - I'm sure this would include your Mum. Others, because they are too blinkered or too scared to contemplate such big changes. Maybe they are 100% happy and can't understand why we aren't? One of my friends can't understand anyone wanting to leave this city. She moved away for a year, (admitedly to Reading!), hated it and came back. She took it as an insult that we wanted to leave.

Big Bro yeehaa When we all get there the money we have lost will be a distant memory and I doubt we will even think about it. It would make life that much sweeter but money isn't everything so they say

Let's hope it is a distant memory.... At least we will have other distractions.

Best get cracking - nothing like a deadline to get you motivated!!

Got a text from DD2 this morning from Perth and thought would share it to keep us all going with the dream.

Really liking it, although this is the first day the sun has been out. Think it is going to be great living here. Our mechanic is from Maidstone and has been here 14 years and hates going back.

We are all going to have such a better life living here!

That sounds good - I hope it has gee'd you all up
Now that sounds good.
You have plebty of time Nicky - just spend a week planning and then implement your plan. Once you have a plan, it will all seem a lot easier.

Originally Posted by formula
My sister lost a lot of money during the last crash, but still went to Oz in 2000. She bought a 15 acre plot with a fairly large, long mortgage. Then she subdivided the property and sold off the other plot during the recent house price rises in Oz. She paid off her mortgage with the proceeds of the sale.

Thanks Formula - that gives us hope.

My understanding is that if you don't tell them, it is fraud. They own part of the property and have a 1st charge on it. A lot of lenders let the change go through on a nod and others make a small charge of about £100 from what I have found out. Others want a change of mortgage. Perhaps you could phone up and ask your lenders as a general enquiry, without giving your details?

We have BTL mortgages on our rental properties, so have never had this problem - as the permision is implicit. If your lender is reluctant then remortgaging might be the answer.

This is some of the stuff I found on Shelter's website about landord's responsibilities
http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-3181.cfm

Thanks for that - I hadn't heard of them and we have 2 rental properties.

Oz is only a couple of plane rides away. It's not like traveling there on a boat. If you don't like the life, then you can always change your mind.
True - I don't think we'll want to come back but it's good it is always an option.

Where are you in the process Formula? I notice you are a new poster. Are you selling too?

No more news yet from me today... waiting to hear from the private buyer. If he can't do it, we'll have to accept the other offer. Then we'll be in a panic trying to move out in 8 weeks!
Old May 28th 2008, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

What was the good deal on flights- wish we could book ours, but still in visa limbo despite house being under offer and job starting in September....
Caroline
Old May 28th 2008, 9:57 pm

Morning all,

You have plebty of time Nicky - just spend a week planning and then implement your plan. Once you have a plan, it will all seem a lot easier.

Plan, what is that? My mind is in such a spin that I start off thinking, right finish off end of year accounts, then get sidetracked to emailing colleges for DS, then sidetracked again looking for accommodation, and again working out how to close a Limited Co. and it goes on.

No more news yet from me today... waiting to hear from the private buyer. If he can't do it, we'll have to accept the other offer. Then we'll be in a panic trying to move out in 8 weeks!
I hope he rings, isn't it horrible waiting. I am one of those people that say I will do it and then do it. How do others cope just meandering along. Please let me have some of that attitude

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
What was the good deal on flights- wish we could book ours, but still in visa limbo despite house being under offer and job starting in September....
Caroline
The offer was for one way flights to Oz or New Zealand that had to be booked by 30th May. Paid £1,051 pp for business class, which also gives us 2pieces of luggage each, 1 30kg and 1 23kg and bear in mind we have already validated so couldn't get the extra luggage normally, this was good. You also get the business lounge and lie down beds so thought this was a good deal.
The flight is Heathrow to Bankok to refuel only then to Taipei, change planes then to Brisbane. Link if you want to have a look.

http://www.evaair.com/html/b2c/engli...3+BNEAKL+06MAR

Used to be a travel agent many years ago so know how to look for good deals. If you need any help I love doing it. Going to try and get a good deal for DD coming out over Xmas business class but am not very hopeful as they are really expensive that time of year.
Old May 29th 2008, 12:29 am

We have a viewing tomorrow at 4pm, please keep fingers crossed for us
Old May 29th 2008, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

I hope he rings, isn't it horrible waiting. I am one of those people that say I will do it and then do it. How do others cope just meandering along. Please let me have some of that attitude

It is torture as we don't want the other people to get fed up and offer on something else. We have decided we just need to sell. But another £40k is not to be sniffed at! No news yet...

The offer was for one way flights to Oz or New Zealand that had to be booked by 30th May. Paid £1,051 pp for business class, which also gives us 2pieces of luggage each, 1 30kg and 1 23kg and bear in mind we have already validated so couldn't get the extra luggage normally, this was good. You also get the business lounge and lie down beds so thought this was a good deal.
The flight is Heathrow to Bankok to refuel only then to Taipei, change planes then to Brisbane. Link if you want to have a look.

http://www.evaair.com/html/b2c/engli...3+BNEAKL+06MAR

Used to be a travel agent many years ago so know how to look for good deals. If you need any help I love doing it. Going to try and get a good deal for DD coming out over Xmas business class but am not very hopeful as they are really expensive that time of year.
That's a fab price - we don't have extra baggage allowance either. I'll have to ask you to look for us when we finally get to book. We paid £2.5k each for buisness class on Emirates last April - but we only booked 2 weeks before.

Fingers and everything crossed for you Nicky - I'm sure I want you to sell as much as I want us to sell!!!
Old May 29th 2008, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

wahhey - could work out good timing for you - fingers firmly crossed.
Old May 29th 2008, 1:26 am

That's a fab price - we don't have extra baggage allowance either. I'll have to ask you to look for us when we finally get to book. We paid £2.5k each for buisness class on Emirates last April - but we only booked 2 weeks before.

I will find you something good, will make sure of itWe went last November to Sydney and only paid £1300 pp business class then too. For the difference it costs we might aswell put our feet up

Fingers and everything crossed for you Nicky - I'm sure I want you to sell as much as I want us to sell!!!
I am cleaning again but don't know why really because they will all come in later and mess it all up again. I am trying to do the rooms that I can shut off just to help because I also have 1 of the removal people coming too. OH supposed to be cutting grass when he gets home but looks like it is about to bucket down

How long can you keep the other one's waiting for?

Originally Posted by Gonnago
wahhey - could work out good timing for you - fingers firmly crossed.
Can you imagine if this person buys it, what good timing that would be
Have said both prayers to St. Joe this morning and will do tomorrow aswell, you just never know
Old May 29th 2008, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

suart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to all

Good luck nic, fingers crossed for you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.